Jump to ratings and reviews

Out of Sorts: Making Peace with an Evolving Faith

From the popular blogger and provocative author of Jesus Feminist comes a riveting new study of Christianity that helps you wrestle with—and sort out—your faith.

In Out of Sorts, Sarah Bessey—award-winning blogger and author of Jesus Feminist, which was hailed as “lucid, compelling, and beautifully written” (Frank Viola, author of God’s Favorite Place on Earth)—helps us grapple with core Christian issues using a mixture of beautiful storytelling and biblical teaching, a style well described as “narrative theology.”

As she candidly shares her wrestlings with core issues—such as who Jesus is, what place the Church has in our lives, how to disagree yet remain within a community, and how to love the Bible for what it is rather than what we want it to be—she teaches us how to walk courageously through our own tough questions.

In the process of gently helping us sort things out, Bessey teaches us how to be as comfortable with uncertainty as we are with solid answers. And as we learn to hold questions in one hand and answers in the other, we discover new depths of faith that will remain secure even through the storms of life.

259 pages, Paperback

First published November 3, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sarah Bessey

12 books1,975 followers
Sarah Bessey is the author of the best-selling and critically acclaimed books Jesus Feminist (2013); Out of Sorts: Making Peace with an Evolving Faith (2015); and Miracles and Other Reasonable Things (2019).

Her new collaborative book, A Rhythm of Prayer: A Collection of Meditations for Renewal is a New York Times, Publisher’s Weekly, and Globe and Mail Bestseller.

Along with her friends, the late Rachel Held Evans and Jim Chaffee, Sarah co-founded Evolving Faith. She now co-leads the community and conference alongside Jeff Chu. Sarah is also the co-host of The Evolving Faith Podcast.

Sarah writes the weekly newsletter Field Notes with exclusive essays, devotional series, conversations, and more.

She is a sought-after speaker at churches, conferences, and universities around the world.
She also serves as chair of the board for Heartline Ministries in Haiti. Based in Port au Prince, Heartline is committed to empowering Haitian families through complete maternal and infant health care, education, vocational training, and economic development.

Sarah was born and raised in the prairies and foothills of western Canada. Now living in Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada (on the traditional land of the Stó:lō), Sarah and her husband of twenty years have four children ranging in age from high school to kindergarten. She’s a pseudo-hermit bookworm, an enthusiastic knitter, tea-drinker, hockey fan, total hugger, endlessly fascinated with Jesus, an embarrassing fan-girl for the tv programmes Doctor Who and Schitt’s Creek, and she lives with chronic illness.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 stars
112 (2%)
1 star
26 (<1%)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.