Start by marking “The Status of All Things” as Want to Read:
The Status of All Things

The Status of All Things

What would you do if you could literally rewrite your fate—on Facebook? This heartwarming and hilarious new novel from the authors of The Perfect Life follows a woman who discovers she can change her life through online status updates.

Kate is a thirty-five-year-old woman who is obsessed with social media. So when her fiancé, Max, breaks things off at their rehearsal dinner
Published June 2nd 2015 by Washington Square Press

To ask other readers questions about The Status of All Things, please sign up.
Liz Fenton Hmmmm...I think people would want to be able to go back and be able to change mistakes they'd made, that they'd want to be able to wish thier life…moreHmmmm...I think people would want to be able to go back and be able to change mistakes they'd made, that they'd want to be able to wish thier life into perfection. Oh, and they'd probably ask to win the lottery! (I know I would!)(less)

I frequently use social media. I'm on facebook, instagram, goodreads (obviously), pinterest, sometimes twitter... you get the picture. And aside from those awkward venting rants floating around, I pretty much see everyone's best moments: the proud moments, the vacations, the special occasions, the I love you's. It's easy to forget there are real-life struggles on the other end of those smiling selfies.
description

In the women's fiction novel: The Status of All Things, authors Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke us
Nancy❤The❤Bookaholic
DNF

I am wondering why this book is getting such high ratings. Many of them 5 stars. Is it because the reviewers received an ARC and they feel like they can't write the truth. Heck, I don't know!!! All I know is, this book irritated the heck out of me. I was constantly stopping to do status updates (how ironic) of how it was bugging me. Don't get me wrong, the storyline did sound interesting but the execution was a big fat FAILED attempt for me! It wasn't the supernatural aspect. I love supernat
Catherine McKenzie
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got to read an early copy of THE STATUS OF ALL THINGS. A delightfully quirky book about a woman trying to change the course of her history after she gets left at the alter, Fenton and Steinke are carving a space for themselves with their women's fiction novels that have a touch of magic to them. Fans of Allison Winn Scotch's will especially enjoy this book.
Mary Kubica
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved THE STATUS OF ALL THINGS - such a treat! I was honored to receive an early copy of the novel and simply couldn't put it down. Such delightful characters (many of them, anyway!) and a unique, fun storyline about the power of destiny and the importance of friends. Be sure to check it out when it arrives in 2015!
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Atria Books/Washington Square and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Real life BFF razor-sharp and talented contemporary authors Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke bring new meaning to “girls just want to have fun”, blending their own passion with their characters, Kate and Jules-- in their latest witty, chick-lit with a touch of whimsy, social media obsession, with a dose of reality versus perfection THE STATUS OF ALL THINGS-- A life lesson for today’s world
Margaret Dilloway
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this day and age, who hasn't perused Facebook status updates and wondered if your own life measures up, and perhaps tried to edit your own life to appear just a little bit better than it is? THE STATUS OF ALL THINGS is about this concept. Kate, a successful professional woman, is stunned when her fiance leaves her at the altar. But a magical chance encounter lets her go back in time to fix everything that went wrong with her man (if she can figure out what it is) with this awesome convention- ...more
Tara - Running 'n' Reading
Unfortunately, this one was not a favorite for me; I was not expecting a masterpiece, but I thought it would make for a fun, entertaining, light summer read. The idea is pretty cute, I think: main character Kate, who is “obsessed with social media,” discovers that she can type a particular outcome as her status on Facebook and it will become true. There are times when that might be nice!

I can usually overlook some predictability in an easy read, but I’d already predicted what I thought would ha
Kate Hilton
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Classic chicklit with a nod to Back To The Future for all the Gen Xers out there. Disappointed bride, Kate, is left at the altar. Hooked on social media, she despairs at being unable to post a sunny status update - until she discovers that her Facebook updates are coming true, and that she can wish herself back to a happier version of her life. Or can she? A sweet fable about learning to worry less about what other people think and more about what you actually want.
Andrea
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

I almost did not finish this one, which was terribly frustrating because there was so much potential here. It could have been a breezy, fun romp through time and social media. But nooo! The main character couldn't see the reality in front of her all along and would have benefitted from a firm smack on the back of the head! All in all, it was intriguing enough to finish but not to recommend.
Nicholas Sparks
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Could changing your Facebook status change your life? Kate tries to rewrite her romantic history, but soon learns that it might not be possible to change your fate.
Deborah Blanchard
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review, netgalley
First and foremost I would like to thank Netgalley and Simon & Schuster for allowing me the honor and privilege of reading and reviewing this magnificent book.
I was hooked on this book from the first chapter and found it hard to put down thereafter. This book is extremely well written, with such wonderful characters. I was so wrapped up in this story that I feel like I knew each character personally. If you had the chance to change your life, would you do it? Is our life predetermined or ca
Jackie Bouchard
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was delighted to get my hands on an ARC of "The Status of All Things"!

I really enjoyed Liz & Lisa's "Your Perfect Life" and am a big fan of their magic-mixed-with-the-everyday stories. "Status" definitely falls under that heading and does not disappoint! The characters are so real they could be your friends from college, but with the added spice of a little magic mixed in to their lives, which keeps you guessing as to what will happen next.

I also love how they weave modern-day concerns i
Teresa
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Fenton and Steinke just keep getting better. The Status of All Things is their best work yet. I truly could not put it down. It is funny and honest and makes the reader laugh at herself. They might not have intended for the book to put a little perspective on life and the things we share on social media, but it did just that.

How often do we look at Facebook or Pinterest and see the lives we wish we had? Kate learns that the dream life ,may not be what she thinks it is at all.

I'll definitely be
Bethany Chase
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I absolutely loved this book, and gobbled it up in one sitting! Liz and Lisa's writing is funny, kind-hearted and wise, and I especially appreciated how nuanced the characters and situations were. Every character in the story was believably flawed and human, trying hard to do the right thing in situations where clear answers are impossible. Real life is messy, and I love how richly these writers portray that.
Lesley
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Oh I hate when I read a really excellent deep book then go to a chic-lit book. So keeping in mind this isn't a deep read, it was entertaining and amusing. Good for a light fluff read! Enjoy!
Kelly Hager
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love the concept of this story! I mean, who wouldn't love the ability to be able to completely change your life with a status update? ("I am so excited about losing weight! I genuinely love salad!")

Of course, there are a few pitfalls, and there's no way to guarantee that fate won't continue to assert itself.

Even so, Kate knows that if she just perseveres...

I did really love Kate. She's very relatable and she uses her powers for good (mostly). She shares the good fortune with her fri
Traci York-Goble
This book was a "GoodRead"! I think that once this book comes out, you will find it at the top of the best sellers lists. I think a lot of people would wish that they had the power to do what Kate was able to do by using social media to change their own lives or a situation in their life. I will definitely be sharing this book with my family and friends.
Dee DeTarsio
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What’s on YOUR mind?

That tempting Facebook question, “What’s on your mind?” sets the scene for The Status of All Things—a smart, sarcastic and ultimately sweet story of sharing (and over-sharing!) and discovering what a “perfect” life really looks like! I LOVE this book!
Kimberly Belle
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Liz and Lisa can always make me laugh out loud, and this one's no exception. A fun and clever page-turner!
Jordana Horn Gordon
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Easy read while in labor :)
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Results
This is the second book I have read and enjoyed by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke. This book and The Year We Turned Forty both play with the idea of getting to relive history and make changes to one's life. They definitely write women's fiction I like and can relate to with a kind of whimsical twist.

When Kate gets dumped by her fiance Max at her rehearsal dinner she is blindsided and devastated. When she takes to Facebook to wish to do the last month over she wakes up and finds she has tha
Jencey/
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beach-reads-2015
Thank you to Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke and Simon and Schuster for a copy of The Status of All Things. I really enjoyed the first novel Your Perfect Life, and I think my readers will really enjoy this one. How do you feel about Facebook and the statuses you see on them? Do constantly update your status or only report when necessary?
Synopsis:
Kate is preparing for her wedding day. The next task on her agenda once she locates Max is the rehearsal dinner. Where is Max? When she finally finds him h
Jessica Ashe
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Solid 4.5. (why don't we have 1/2 stars yet?!)

I really thoroughly enjoyed this read. Just utterly engrossing. All the characters were extremely interesting, quirky, and relatable.

The premise of this book is one I think that, especially in today's social media society, we can all take a extra large dose of the message that is in this book.

Although someone's life may look perfect from social media, more times than not, you are only seeing the edited, filtered and photoshopped cover photo of their
Amy
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a fun premise for a book and a quick & enjoyable read. I love books with a magical realism theme and the idea that you can rewrite your own history through your Facebook status was such a good one. It also makes you think about how we present ourselves online and how our reality are often so different!
Estelle
Another fantastic, thoughtful read by this duo. Can't wait to write about it.
Mystica
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book despite the un-real aspects of it and whilst reading I kept asking myself, now why are you reading this? and strangely enough despite the fact that time travel, fantasy and general magic is not my genre this was a good book!

Sent to me by Edelweiss - a surprising read which panned out to be very nice.

What would one do if one could through Facebook comments and just being online change your world. A bit far fetched but this is the story.

Kate is 35 years old, obssessed with socia
Laura Kay Bolin
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Loved! Such an enjoyable novel! THE STATUS OF ALL THINGS is the perfect summertime book. You simply fall into the story and there isn't a needless amount of overwriting--just good fun storytelling. Kate is relateable character to anyone who may post a wee bit too much on Facebook and who may make sure when posting a status reveals our awesome selves (cough cough). She can't help it everyone else seems to having amazing facebook worthy lives. Well everythin
Leonel
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it

Summer's here, and the beach reads are pouring. "The Status Of All Things," by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke is a great one to pick up. It ponders that modern question - what if you can write various Facebook status and they all come true. This book is a variation on that age-old wish story, only this time via a social media platform. But the book is much more than that, of course. Kate, dumped by her husband-to-be the night before her wedding, gets a chance
Susan  Owensby
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Status of All Things by authors Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke is absolutely fun and a refreshing change for readers! I totally fell in love with these authors while reading this fun and humorous book. What would life be like if you could change your life through your Facebook status? OMG, the possibilities would be endless. Think about it. LOL!

The story was entertaining, light and the perfect read for any time. Sometimes I think we take life too seriously and The Status of All Things lets us e
Around the Year i...: The Status of All Things, by Liz Fenton 1 12 Apr 15, 2017 12:55PM
  • Love and Miss Communication
  • The Idea of Love
  • It's You
  • Recipe for a Happy Life
  • Wishful Thinking
  • Rome in Love
  • If I Could Turn Back Time
  • What's Never Said
  • Dragon Day (Ellie McEnroe, #3)
  • The Scarlet Letter Society
  • The One That Got Away
  • The Balance Project
  • Things You Won't Say
  • Girl Before a Mirror
  • The Best of Enemies
  • The Theory of Opposites
  • Catch a Rising Star (Drama Queen #1)
  • Hugo & Rose
Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke have been best friends for over 30 years and survived high school and college together. They've co-authored six novels, including the forthcoming THE TWO LILA BENNETTS, which publishes on July 23, 2019.

In their former lives, Liz worked in the pharmaceutical industry and Lisa was a talk-show producer. They now both reside with their families and several rescue dogs in S
“A true best friend loves you even when it seems like you've gone off the deep end.” 34 likes
“It's an unwritten rule that best friends take care of each other, and best friends' husbands understand.” 13 likes