Start by marking “Intro to Alien Invasion” as Want to Read:
Intro to Alien Invasion

Intro to Alien Invasion

Stacey, a brilliant, overachieving astrobiology major at Fenton College, had planned on just another lonely Spring Break on campus. But when a hurricane batters the small college town, downing power lines and knocking out cell phone reception, Stacey and her friends are stranded with no way to communicate with the outside world at the worst possible moment: in the midst of ...more
Published September 15th 2015 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Intro to Alien Invasion, please sign up.
Mat The entire book is one extended sexual situation.

Start your review of Intro to Alien Invasion
Naomi
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Disclaimer: One of the authors is my brother, so I'm biased terribly in his favor. But I still think this is a good book. Funny and very strange, with a perfect connection between text and picture, this romp through an alien invasion of a college campus tips its hat to many fine influences, and is a wild trip of a read. I read it in the iBooks format, and it was, as usual for graphic novels in that format, very fine to read that way.
Newly Wardell
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So good. Love the illustrations and the story doesn't disappoint.
Peter Derk
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Lately, a lot of my book reviews have started with these "efforts", let's call them. Efforts are the things they'll ask you to do if you do voiceover for a video game.

"Okay, make a grunt like you're pulling yourself up on a ledge."

"Now a yell, like you're making a really long jump."

"Now a puzzled hmm, like you're about to open a shoebox and you don't realize it's full of naked pictures of your parents."

My effort for this book is something like Ehhhh

It started off strong, but when the action set
Michael Sclafani
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I was given a free copy by Goodreads to write a review, and I am an acquaintance of one of the authors.

When the book came, I paged through it and was a little concerned about the weirdness I was getting into, but it ended up being an absolutely delightful read. The art is fantastic and the story is a fun homage to classic b-movie horror stories with some nice modern twists. I strenuously object to the earlier reviewer who accused the book of being sexist and ask her to cite examples
Stacy Fetters
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Found this while looking for things on Aliens since The X Files are back. After I picked it up at the library and took it home. I did alittle online research and its highly recommended by S. King.... ugh But I gave it a try.
A weird and wacky college alien invasion, Aliens from Siberia. They take over this small college and imbed themselves into peoples bodies and they grow and grow until.... POW! More blue ladybugs are born.
It remeinded me of a lamer episode of Community during a dream sequence
Tobin Elliott
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Owen King has a slightly twisted sense of humour, but in a really good way.

I enjoyed the basic story, as well as the romantic subplot. The art, while not something that would knock my socks off, suited the narrative and delivered the goods.

Overall, a rude, nasty, and surprisingly sweet story of a gruesome alien invasion.
Γιώργος Γιώτσας
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Funny and scary (or is it the other way around?) this is a ride i enjoyed! Kudos Owen King for the smart and edgy writing!
Emerald
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't know anything about graphic novels. But I did inadvertently put off going to sleep and read this all in one night, which has got to be a good sign.
B Schrodinger
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I know it’s satire. I know it doesn’t take itself seriously. I know it’s intended to be B-grade.

I’m just too old for this.
Sean Kottke
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2015
There's some great satire of modern college follies and foibles, and a solid B-movie structure. The art is a bit cartoony and spare, but any more detailed and the gross-out factor would derail the humor. Quick, light read.
Sara
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Gross! Haha! That is all.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This was... odd. I didn't hate it, but I'm not really sure how I felt about it other than that...
Tony
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked this graphic novel up because I'll pretty much pick up anything Mark Jude Poirier is involved in writing -- I've loved his books and lamented his recent (but likely more lucrative) focus on screenwriting. Set at a small Vermont liberal arts college that looks a lot like Bennington, this collaboration is a fun mix of alien invasion tropes with campus satire. You can tell they had a lot of fun playing with various campus types, from bros to trustafarians, creepy professors, and soforth. T ...more
Allie
This rating/review is based on an ARC from the publisher.

Woof. I mean, seriously yikes. This is supposed to be a campy silly comic about some kids at a small liberal arts school who experience a spring break alien invasion. It is informed by B-grade horror movies, college movies, and campy sci-fi movies. The book uses all of those tropes, but that's it! Why use any of these tropes if you're not saying anything about them? Seriously, honestly WHAT IS THE POINT? They basically created an insanely
John
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This one pretty much pinged every part of my nerdar, but then again I have always loved goofy sci-fi stories. I actively sought out 1950s DC comics where Batman dressed in outlandish outfits and fought aliens. This is a modern take on that type of story. It's not meant to be War and Peace, it's meant to be lighthearted and fun. At least that's how I took it. I also don't see the sexism or misogyny that was mentioned below. It's almost as if that reviewer read an entirely different story. It's th ...more
Raina
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
New adult college-campus alien sci-fi attack. Some non-hetero romance. A little jaded in overall perspective for me - I was expecting to like it more. Some of the characters are implicitly made fun of. Kind of a loopy style of illustration, which reminds me a bit of Fiona Smyth's work. Black and white. ...more
Alex Flynn
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Delightful. A very fun take on horror and sci-fi tropes, set in a small college on the eve of Spring Break (forever). A plucky group of friends must fight off an alien invasion as well as lascivious professors and drunken frat brothers. Very Buffy like and well worth the time. I only wish it was longer (or there were more Intro Books. Perhaps Intro's to vampires, werewolves, witches etc...)
Jason
Thoroughly enjoyable alien invasion story, with cliches in all the right places as well as characters you care about. Didn't really need the romance at the end (saw it coming ten miles away), but it only sidetracked the story a little. I loved how they used the weapons from the Brute Force exhibit. That was clever.
Melissa Jacobson
This was such a wild and wacky ride from start to finish. Very fast paced and insane, and I loved the kooky college stereotypes that were thrown in. Such a fun read. Totally would recommend to people looking for a fast and highly entertaining, if not ridiculous and irreverent graphic novel.

Booktalk - https://youtu.be/etLdrfmX6Fw
Scott Neigh
Fun, B-movie-like graphic novel featuring an alien invasion on a quiet college campus in the US northeast. The right mix of well-done quirky characters/relationships and over-the-top action. Enjoyed the (spoiler alert!) sweet queer romance that wound through the blowing up of alien bug-monsters.
Jerry Rocha
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very fun. It reads like a Troma movie (that's a great thing). I loved how the professor kept growing as an asshole just like the creatures kept growing. Fun, funny and a shitload of exploding aliens. Go get it.
Angel
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fun, gross, and very captivating graphic novel! I finished it in a few hours. It reminded me of 'old school' sci-fi. The characters were well developed and the illustrations were fantastic. Great job to the trio: Owen, Mark, and Nancy!!
Martha
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
UM ADORABLE.
Kit
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this on here. Best book I've won so far. Had a very good B movie vibe.
Jessica
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was pretty interesting and I enjoyed it!! I liked the main character and thought she added the extra touch to the novel. I really liked the ending
Kristen
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud several times. Super fun, quick read with some BA characters.
Meredith
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
A very sweet love story coated in alien goo.
Alyson Dickerman
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Humorous and a little icky. Quick read, but very enjoyable.
Rachel
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, queer
Cool.
Gregory Bastianelli
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun graphic novel about aliens invading a college campus.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Good Marriage
  • Bix
  • Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year One - The Complete Collection
  • Warren Commission Report: A Graphic Investigation into the Kennedy Assassination
  • 102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers
  • Slugfest: Inside the Epic, 50-year Battle between Marvel and DC
  • We'll Soon Be Home Again
  • No Filter: The Inside Story of Instagram
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Four - The Complete Collection
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two - The Complete Collection
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Three - The Complete Collection
  • The Lies That Bind
  • The Boyfriend Project (The Boyfriend Project, #1)
I'm the author of the novel Double Feature and We're All In This Together: A Novella and Stories, co-editor (with John McNally) of the anthology Who Can Save Us Now, and co-author (with Mark Poirier) of the graphic novel Intro to Alien Invasion. I also co-wrote the novel Sleeping Beauties with Stephen King. My writing has appeared in publications such as The New York Times Book Review, The Los Ang ...more