Jump to ratings and reviews

Intro to Alien Invasion

Stacey, a brilliant, overachieving astrobiology major at Fenton College, had planned on just another lonely Spring Break on campus. But when a hurricane batters the small college town, downing power lines and knocking out cell phone reception, Stacey and her friends are stranded with no way to communicate with the outside world at the worst possible moment: in the midst of an alien invasion.

As space insects begin to burrow into students and staff, transforming them into slobbering, babbling monsters, a conglomeration of misfits must band together to prevent the infestation from spreading. Meanwhile, Stacey's long-stifled romantic feelings for her friend Charlotte begin to surface, while the professor she had admired and respected becomes the students's worst enemy.

224 pages, Paperback

First published September 15, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Owen King

37 books1,417 followers
I'm the author of the novel Double Feature and We're All In This Together: A Novella and Stories, co-editor (with John McNally) of the anthology Who Can Save Us Now, and co-author (with Mark Poirier) of the graphic novel Intro to Alien Invasion. I also co-wrote the novel Sleeping Beauties with Stephen King. My writing has appeared in publications such as Prairie Schooner, Subtropics, Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet, Ploughshares, and One Story.

My next novel, The Curator, is arriving in bookstores in the United States on 3/7/23!

My wife is the beautiful and mysterious Kelly Braffet. She has written four wonderful books, and the newest is The Broken Tower.

Here are what a couple of my favorite authors were nice enough to say about Double Feature:

“What a kinetic, joyful, gonzo ride—Double Feature made me laugh so loudly on a plane that I had to describe the plot of Sam's Spruce Moose of a debut film (it stars a satyr) to my seatmate by way of explanation. Booth and Sam are an unforgettable Oedipal duo. A book that delivers walloping pleasures to its lucky readers.” - Karen Russell, author of Swamplandia!

“Sharp, hilarious, and irreverent, Double Feature is not only a love-letter to cinema, but also a moving exploration of what it means to be an artist. This novel is brilliant, and Owen King is a magician.” - Lauren Groff, author of Fates and Furies and Arcadia

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 91 reviews
Profile Image for Naomi.
1,379 reviews265 followers
September 23, 2015
Disclaimer: One of the authors is my brother, so I'm biased terribly in his favor. But I still think this is a good book. Funny and very strange, with a perfect connection between text and picture, this romp through an alien invasion of a college campus tips its hat to many fine influences, and is a wild trip of a read. I read it in the iBooks format, and it was, as usual for graphic novels in that format, very fine to read that way.
Profile Image for Peter Derk.
Author 24 books330 followers
January 22, 2016
Lately, a lot of my book reviews have started with these "efforts", let's call them. Efforts are the things they'll ask you to do if you do voiceover for a video game.

"Okay, make a grunt like you're pulling yourself up on a ledge."

"Now a yell, like you're making a really long jump."

"Now a puzzled hmm, like you're about to open a shoebox and you don't realize it's full of naked pictures of your parents."

My effort for this book is something like Ehhhh

It started off strong, but when the action sets in, it's not super exciting or original, and there are times when the art has me confused as to what exactly is happening in the panel.

This also has a classic alien invasion/monster problem, which is that sometimes the aliens are like super strong and if you encounter one, you're super screwed, and then other times you can beat them up with a folding chair, like a cheap WWE wrestler.

It was like those rolling aliens in the new Star Wars. They're consuming machines that can't be stopped, except when they grab the main character, at which point they drag him around and behave totally differently than they have been the whole time.

Maybe there's some kind of intergalactic treaty that says "We're aliens, and we kick everyone's ass, except if you encounter someone who appears to be a 'main character' type, take it easy. We love conquering shit, but what we love most is NARRATIVE! Joseph Campbell! The Hero's Journey!"

Oh, you know what else this book has in it? That whole thing where the perfect girl is dating the biggest chump idiot asshole of all time ever who has no redeeming qualities, is never nice or cool, and I think that story is kinda dumb.

Profile Image for Michael Sclafani.
213 reviews4 followers
September 26, 2015
Disclaimer: I was given a free copy by Goodreads to write a review, and I am an acquaintance of one of the authors.

When the book came, I paged through it and was a little concerned about the weirdness I was getting into, but it ended up being an absolutely delightful read. The art is fantastic and the story is a fun homage to classic b-movie horror stories with some nice modern twists. I strenuously object to the earlier reviewer who accused the book of being sexist and ask her to cite examples. The book actually inverts the typical tropes of the genre by having woman in the role of decision makers and saviors.

The book does not have the depth or poignancy of other great graphic novels like Scott Pilgrim or Blankets, but it never makes any pretensions for being more than what it is. At the same time, it is a tightly written story with very likable characters and a lot of fun to read. It is a nice satire of liberal arts college campuses, and a humorous take on alien invasion horror.
Profile Image for Stay Fetters.
2,017 reviews116 followers
February 14, 2016
Found this while looking for things on Aliens since The X Files are back. After I picked it up at the library and took it home. I did alittle online research and its highly recommended by S. King.... ugh But I gave it a try.
A weird and wacky college alien invasion, Aliens from Siberia. They take over this small college and imbed themselves into peoples bodies and they grow and grow until.... POW! More blue ladybugs are born.
It remeinded me of a lamer episode of Community during a dream sequence. Glad I didn't spend money on this!
Profile Image for Emerald.
12 reviews2 followers
October 5, 2015
I don't know anything about graphic novels. But I did inadvertently put off going to sleep and read this all in one night, which has got to be a good sign.
Profile Image for B Schrodinger.
305 reviews642 followers
June 22, 2019
I know it’s satire. I know it doesn’t take itself seriously. I know it’s intended to be B-grade.

I’m just too old for this.
Profile Image for Michael.
1,517 reviews146 followers
November 2, 2015
ALIEN INVASION ? - Klare Sache, da bin ich so was von dabei!
Am Fenton College, an dem die üblichen Klischeetypen ihrem studentischen Treiben in unterschiedlichster Ausprägung nachgehen, bricht ein außerirdischer Parasit aus und die Hölle los.
Während sich der großmäulige Kraftmaxe Mason in die Hose macht, verwandelt sich das absolute Nerd-Girl Stacey in der Not in eine Art Xena-die-Kriegerin und nimmt den Kampf gegen die Invasoren auf.
Klassische Zutaten wie ein Unwetter, das das Uni-Gelände vom Rest der Welt abschneidet, Ausfall des Handynetzes, ein durcheknallter Prof, der zu allem Überfluss Stacey sexuell belästigt und viele Schattierungen lebensuntüchtiger Studenten, die wenig hilfreich im Wege stehen, ergeben in Kombi mit den Monsterparasiten ein fast klassisches B-Movie.
Leider ist die sehr cartoonhafte Artwork nicht mein Ding und die Story weder besonders witzig noch spannend. Postmoderner Pulp funktioniert oft nicht wirklich gut, und auch hier springt der Funke nicht immer über.
Profile Image for Sean Kottke.
1,870 reviews27 followers
September 24, 2015
There's some great satire of modern college follies and foibles, and a solid B-movie structure. The art is a bit cartoony and spare, but any more detailed and the gross-out factor would derail the humor. Quick, light read.
Profile Image for Tony.
1,355 reviews70 followers
November 26, 2015
I picked this graphic novel up because I'll pretty much pick up anything Mark Jude Poirier is involved in writing -- I've loved his books and lamented his recent (but likely more lucrative) focus on screenwriting. Set at a small Vermont liberal arts college that looks a lot like Bennington, this collaboration is a fun mix of alien invasion tropes with campus satire. You can tell they had a lot of fun playing with various campus types, from bros to trustafarians, creepy professors, and soforth. There's nothing particularly new to the storyline, as the alien origin calls upon a beloved sci-fi catalyst, the 1908 Tunguska meteorite blast in Siberia (which has cropped up in Ghostbusters, Buffy, X-Files, Hellboy, Star Trek, Dr. Who, and dozens of novels, including Vladimir Sorokin's Ice Trilogy). But it's all well-executed and fun, with the right dose of levity and romantic subplots. I didn't love the art -- a little too simple for my taste, but it doesn't detract from the story. All in all, definitely worth picking up!
Profile Image for Allie.
1,377 reviews38 followers
July 22, 2015
This rating/review is based on an ARC from the publisher.

Woof. I mean, seriously yikes. This is supposed to be a campy silly comic about some kids at a small liberal arts school who experience a spring break alien invasion. It is informed by B-grade horror movies, college movies, and campy sci-fi movies. The book uses all of those tropes, but that's it! Why use any of these tropes if you're not saying anything about them? Seriously, honestly WHAT IS THE POINT? They basically created an insanely unoriginal comic, chock full of outdated stereotypes and misogyny. Nancy Ahn's art is delightful though, so I will definitely keep my eyes out for her work.

I thought about writing more of an "it's not for me" kind of review, but I definitely think no one should bother with junk like this. Read bad sexist comics from the 60's instead of bothering with new bad sexist comics.
Profile Image for John.
12 reviews
October 25, 2015
This one pretty much pinged every part of my nerdar, but then again I have always loved goofy sci-fi stories. I actively sought out 1950s DC comics where Batman dressed in outlandish outfits and fought aliens. This is a modern take on that type of story. It's not meant to be War and Peace, it's meant to be lighthearted and fun. At least that's how I took it. I also don't see the sexism or misogyny that was mentioned below. It's almost as if that reviewer read an entirely different story. It's the ladies of the story that lead the way. So for some goofy, nerdy fun and a break from the convoluted mess that makes up a good portion of mainstream comics/graphic novels these days, pick this one up and enjoy.
Profile Image for Raina.
1,588 reviews123 followers
June 21, 2016
New adult college-campus alien sci-fi attack. Some non-hetero romance. A little jaded in overall perspective for me - I was expecting to like it more. Some of the characters are implicitly made fun of. Kind of a loopy style of illustration, which reminds me a bit of Fiona Smyth's work. Black and white.
Profile Image for Alex Flynn.
Author 2 books19 followers
October 10, 2015
Delightful. A very fun take on horror and sci-fi tropes, set in a small college on the eve of Spring Break (forever). A plucky group of friends must fight off an alien invasion as well as lascivious professors and drunken frat brothers. Very Buffy like and well worth the time. I only wish it was longer (or there were more Intro Books. Perhaps Intro's to vampires, werewolves, witches etc...)
Profile Image for Jason.
3,753 reviews26 followers
Read
December 17, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyable alien invasion story, with cliches in all the right places as well as characters you care about. Didn't really need the romance at the end (saw it coming ten miles away), but it only sidetracked the story a little. I loved how they used the weapons from the Brute Force exhibit. That was clever.
Profile Image for Scott Neigh.
778 reviews14 followers
Read
January 28, 2016
Fun, B-movie-like graphic novel featuring an alien invasion on a quiet college campus in the US northeast. The right mix of well-done quirky characters/relationships and over-the-top action. Enjoyed the (spoiler alert!) sweet queer romance that wound through the blowing up of alien bug-monsters.
Profile Image for Jerry Rocha.
160 reviews4 followers
May 8, 2016
Very fun. It reads like a Troma movie (that's a great thing). I loved how the professor kept growing as an asshole just like the creatures kept growing. Fun, funny and a shitload of exploding aliens. Go get it.
Profile Image for Angel.
Author 2 books6 followers
May 15, 2016
This book is a fun, gross, and very captivating graphic novel! I finished it in a few hours. It reminded me of 'old school' sci-fi. The characters were well developed and the illustrations were fantastic. Great job to the trio: Owen, Mark, and Nancy!!
3 reviews1 follower
October 1, 2015
I won this on here. Best book I've won so far. Had a very good B movie vibe.
Profile Image for Jessica.
383 reviews1 follower
October 10, 2015
This was pretty interesting and I enjoyed it!! I liked the main character and thought she added the extra touch to the novel. I really liked the ending
Displaying 1 - 30 of 91 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.