Start by marking “Hand Drawn Jokes for Smart Attractive People” as Want to Read:
Hand Drawn Jokes for Smart Attractive People

Hand Drawn Jokes for Smart Attractive People

Finally, a book that’s not for everyone! From award-winning New Yorker cartoonist Matthew Diffee—editor of The Rejection Collection and the “de facto leader of a young generation of cartoonists”(The Wall Street Journal)—a hilarious mix of cartoons, visual riffs, and illustrated one liners that will appeal to anyone who is beautiful and intelligent.

For almost fi
Published May 26th 2015 by Scribner (first published May 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Hand Drawn Jokes for Smart Attractive People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand Drawn Jokes for Smart Attractive People

Heidi The Reader
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sadly, the best part of this book is its inspired title: Hand Drawn Jokes for Smart Attractive People. The rest is either clever, but not funny, or offensive depending on the page. It's a shame really- the artwork itself is great and it's clear that Diffee is a talented cartoonist. I just didn't connect with much of the work.

Out of all of it, my favorite cartoon was on page 188- Moses: The Teen Years where a young adult version of Moses is depicted staring into a mirror, carefully parting his lo
David Schaafsma
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Matthew Diffee is, among other things, a cartoonist for The New Yorker, which sort of means in the world of cartoonists, that he made it. But just to underline this fact, he published The Rejection Collection I and II, cartoons "too dumb, too dark, or too naughty for The New Yorker. That sounds about right. I laughed aloud a few times reading this, so it gets my highest praise. He is really funny.

Isn't the title enough to convince you of that? I mean, he draws for The New Yorker, so he has to b
Amber
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I just don’t get sarcasm. Or I should say, I don’t care for it in my comedy.
Pamela
Mar 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Pamela by: No one, ever.
I had the misfortune of reading this collection of comics, Hand-Drawn Jokes for Smart Attractive People. I also had the misfortune of reading it in a public place, so I had to try and control my groans and angry gesticulations. People probably called the local Panera to complain that the girl with the polka dot iPad case and Fuji Apple Chicken Salad was distracting at best, frightening at worst.

So, this is a collection of comics from a guy who does them for The New Yorker. I usually find The New Yorker's comics to be pretty f
Rod Brown
May 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I laughed a lot and probably would have rated this four stars if not for the unfortunate chapter in the middle of the book entitled "For Smart Attractive Indians and Eskimos." The cartoons played with old stereotypes and seemed generally disrespectful to indigenous people. With the rest of the chapters about innocuous topics like pets, jobs, food and sports, I just do not understand why the cartoonist took such a misguided swerve into racial humor.
Jay
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This ARC kindly provided by NetGalley on behalf of the publisher.

some quite funny parts, some not so funny parts. Overall, I’d say it’s average, nothing spectacular, and I wouldn’t go buy it.

A few words of wisdom from the book:
“it’s better to look your age than smell your age”
“Marriage takes work, otherwise you’re home together all day.”

And a couple of lines I really liked:
“people ask you if you’re a cat person or a dog person as if penguins didn’t even exist”
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Apr 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
I don't get it. Does that not make me attractive?

A collection of comics from a guy who does drawings for The New Yorker, I would think it would be funny. But one after another, I just started to skip pages because I wasn't getting it and they were ridiculous, racist and absolutely infuriating. So that about sums up my experience.

DNF.
Erik
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I must be in the target audience group, because I found this collection hilarious!
Andrew
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't laughed so loud or so much in ages. Only real problem: too short! Like much good humor, Diffee's work skates on the edge of stereotypes and "isms" and makes them hilarious. Not for everyone, as not everyone finds such things funny. I can laugh at the silliness and not adopt some kind of agreement that the stereotype is in someway truly representative of anything but the stereotype itself. But hey, maybe it's possible to not share the humor of something and still choose to not condemn i ...more
Joe
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Three stars primarily because there were some classic Diffee comics in here that I had previously encountered in The New Yorker and forgot how much I enjoyed. Giggles a'plenty. The actual book though, is not so great. The intros to each chapter were not my kind of funny - many were just plain bad. Diffee's comics are my favorite of those frequenting The New Yorker; however, this book is just not really worth the price of entry. Very passable.
Chris Hart
Sep 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Every time I hear Bob Dylan singing, I wonder, "Who in the world told him he could sing? And who in their right mind actually PAYS him to sing?" I get it, he's a good musician, a genius if you like that kind of hyperbole. But singing? Not so much.

So now you're thinking, "Uh, what does Bob Dylan have to do with this book?" Let me tell you. The author/artist is a reasonably competent artist. He could probably get a job drawing caricatures at the state fair. But funny? No. Amusing? Not
AmandaEmma
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I received an eArc from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

So, this was quite different to anything I've read this year so far. There's handwriting all the way through - instead of being printed in the usual way.

The book itself is split into different categories; there's jokes for lumberjacks, couples, old people, pet owners, people in the medical profession etc. Some of them I could relate to and others I could not..
The funny thing is that I didn't get the 'pi
Janeka
May 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, comics
Disclaimer: e-ARC provided by Scribner through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Quotes may not appear in the final edition.

I may not be attractive, but I consider myself a smart girl.
Well, maybe I am not, because I couldn’t find this book to be funny in any way.

The idea is interesting, the themes could have been quite hilarious, and most images were good, but the jokes just didn’t make it for me.

People ask you if you’re a cat person or a dog person as if penguin/>People
Susan
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Entertaining drawings with a little text.

Sample of text: "I enjoy eating and one of my favorite things to eat is food but I don't call myself a 'foodie.' It just seems silly to use that term when your favorite foods come on sticks or in buckets. Actually, it seems silly always. Do we really need a word for people who like food? Who doesn't? And what do we call them? Starvies? And I don't think it's food exactly that foodies like anyway. I think it's food fads. So really we should cal
Erin
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
ARC for review.

I suppose I must cop to being only moderately smart and attractive - some of these cartoons from New Yorker artist Matthew Diffee were cute, but others were just OK...though I am the first to admit there is a cadre of people out there who adore nearly all the cartoons in the magazine, and I'm not part of that group. Also, my review copy contained a lot of empty spaces where I'm assuming there might be text to come, but considering the focus is on the cartoons, I doubt the additions wou
Allie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is kind of a mixed bag for me. I like some of the comics Matthew Diffee draws for the New Yorker and his style is absolutely impeccable. But I really dislike how unbelievably smug he is, and his attitude throughout just left a bad taste in my mouth. Just give me the comics, leave the commentary. He is very clever, but he is definitely not funny.

There is also quite a bit of that gross passive racism, sexism, etc. passed off as intellectual commentary. Hard pass on that.
Scott Stewart
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the author and publisher for providing an advanced copy to read and review.

First, I am glad I liked this book, because the book stated that if I didn't I was dumb and ugly. This is a book of really funny adult cartoons. These are not your Sunday morning comics, so don't buy this for children. Mr. Pettit is a very talented and funny cartoonist, and you will read straight through in one sitting.

If you need a good laugh, then get this book!
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Okay, I will be honest, I just read the comics and didn't bother with his intro to each chapter. So of what I read, it was pretty amusing. Like with any comic or humor book, some things are better than others - so your mileage may vary.
Marjorie
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very funny for what it is: a collection of New Yorker style joke cartoons with some one-liners thrown in. I was the laugh track for my office for 2 lunches.
Grace (The Reading Raindoe)
Jun 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
The title got my attention as I was scrolling through NetGalley one day. However, I should have known better than to think this would be of a high quality. There were, of course, a few (very few.) jokes that made me laugh, but I wasn’t a fan overall. I was also bothered by a number of jokes that didn’t seem to be the most politically correct, including an entire chapter on Indians and Eskimos. This book was racist, sexist, and the jokes about religion seemed very off base. The author seemed quit ...more
Linda
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud hilarity! Quickly drawn to the title, I checked this out at the library, devouring it in one hour. I was only going to read one chapter, but just couldn’t put it down. Makes me wish I was artistic enough, & funny enough, to choose a new life path as a cartoonist. Forget more cowbell! More spork!
Felicia
Some of the jokes are slightly amusing. Most of them just felt like talking to a condescending jerk. Self-deprecation only goes so far in relieving the snobbish tone. In all, this is a good reminder about why I don't waste money on publications like New Yorker.
Rooze McKelvey
Aug 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Deserves a better title: Hand Drawn Jokes for People Who Still Think Stereotypes (at best) and Racism (at worst) Is Funny.

Some of it didn't all into those categories. Some of it was downright original and clever. Most of it, however, was old old old and tiring.
Annamarie Bustion
Parts made me laugh out loud; parts made me cringe. Love his drawing style.
Nyssa
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very cute and funny and because it's comics is a fast read! I really enjoyed it
Shane
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this collection of New Yorker cartoons. Definitely some strong laughs, though some of the jokes fell flat. A good break from my usual reading.
Nancy
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor-and-comedy
It lives up to the greatness of its title!
Kate
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Eric
Recommended to Kate by: Matthew Diffee on The Moth
Shelves: graphic-comics, humor
“I have an imaginary friend. He’s a real person—he just isn’t really my friend.”

“Feelings of inadequacy are common among the inadequate.”
KATIE RENGGLI
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!
Anne
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's not so much the stereotypes (though, there are many), but the way too easy jokes that bothered me. Also: the feeling that I was watching a d-list comedian who was trying very hard.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Giant Days 2016 Holiday Special #1
  • Felines of New York: A Glimpse Into the Lives of New York's Feline Inhabitants
  • Silver Surfer, Vol. 4: Citizen of Earth
  • The Fade Out
  • Archie vs Predator
  • Escapo
  • Lazarus: The First Collection
  • Suffrajitsu: Mrs Pankhurst's Amazons (Issue 1)
  • The Awkward Yeti's Complete Lack of Focus: Volume 1
  • A Cat's Life
  • Breaking Cat News: Cats Reporting on the News that Matters to Cats
  • Us: Americans Talk about Love
Matthew Diffee has been contributing cartoons to The New Yorker since 1999. His work has also appeared in Time, The Huffington Post, The Believer and Texas Monthly magazines. He is the editor of three volumes of “The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw and Never Will See in The New Yorker” published by Simon & Schuster and is working on a new book for Scribner called “Hand Drawn Jokes ...more
“Marriage takes work, otherwise you're home together all day.” 0 likes