Start by marking “The Truth and Other Lies” as Want to Read:
The Truth and Other Lies

The Truth and Other Lies

Dark, witty, and suspenseful, this literary crime thriller reminiscent of The Dinner and The Silent Wife follows a famous author whose wife—the brains behind his success—meets an untimely death, leaving him to deal with the consequences.
“Evil is a matter of opinion…”

On the surface, Henry Hayden seems like someone you could like, or even admire. A famous bestselling author
Published June 23rd 2015 by Atria Books (first published February 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth and Other Lies, please sign up.
David Green I noticed this too. It seemed to me that perhaps Arango didn't feel the need to say "and then Henry drove to the hospital". even though it might have…moreI noticed this too. It seemed to me that perhaps Arango didn't feel the need to say "and then Henry drove to the hospital". even though it might have helped us. This makes sense to me because so many other times in the book things seemed surreal and I wondered if Henry was dreaming. He never was.

Also, I think Arango made several other quick transitions that seemed unusually fast for a book(less)
Mathew Englander
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Linda
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a really, really clever book! I've been fortunate to have picked up some good reads lately, but this one certainly is at the top of the list. The book is masterfully written by Sascha Arango who puts forth an intelligent read. We all know the disappointment with the canned writing of some authors in which you have everything figured out by the first few pages. Arango sets out landmines and you wait with bated breath as to how the main character will sidestep his certain demise.

The Truth an
Dana ****Reads Alot****
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I cannot even do a proper review without giving anything away!!This story has to be my all time favorite this year. This in my opinion ONLY blows Gone Girl to the curb. So many love triangles, curves and twists. Henry was the all time manipulator but Karma comes in. This book wont disappoint you if you love pyschological/murder mysteries.LOVED IT!!!!! Thank you Net Galley for allowing me to read this awesome book.
Diane S ☔
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Seems lately I have read a number of books where I thoroughly disliked the main character but found the book fascinating nonetheless.
Henry is a made up person, he is someone who reinvents himself whenever necessary. A trauma suffered when he was young sent him on to the path of self preservation at any cost. But who is he really?

A good dark read of missing people, finding out what is true or not and trying to figure out what is real or not. Some good writing, some likable and some unlikable
Carol
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-audible
***3.5 Stars*** A good psychological thriller. Henry Hayden was not quite as captivating as Oliver Ryan, the dark and devious narrator of well-written Unravelling Oliver, one of my favorite suspense novels. Both men were compelling yet shared borderline sociopathic tendencies. Unraveling Oliver was impossible to put down while this story started out great but didn't offer a great deal of resolution in the end.
Marianne
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The belief in human goodness is a prejudice hard to refute. Wouldn’t it be more sensible, Henry wondered, …..to believe in the self-evident badness of human beings? In his case, for instance, sporadic acts of goodness….were nothing but brief interruptions to his innate wickedness”

The Truth and Other Lies is the first novel by German playwright, Sascha Arango. Henry Hayden is a best-selling author of crime novels, happily married to Martha (even if he also sleeps with his editor, Betty), generou
Esil
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3 1/2 stars. The Truth and Other Lies gets you quickly into the thick of the plot. Henry -- from who's point of view most of the book is narrated -- is known to the world as a famous writer but in reality his wife Martha has been writing all his books. And this is only one of Henry's dark secrets. I can't say much more about the plot without giving away spoilers, but here is my reaction to the book: It was clever but not entirely original. It had good twists but sometimes it meandered. Henry is ...more
Brenda
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: Marianne
Henry Hayden’s life was complete – he was a successful author with a number of best sellers to his name; one of his titles had been made into a film; and his marriage to Martha was a happy and fulfilling one. But when Betty, his editor and long-time lover announced that she was pregnant, Henry’s life began to unravel in an alarming fashion…

Because Henry’s life was built on a lie; Martha was the backbone of his life, but only he and Martha knew. His past was dark and deep – he had no past, no pas
Dianne
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Atria Books for an advance reader copy of this book.

"The Truth and Other Lies" is a twisty thriller about a famous author, Henry Hayden, who is living a lie - the books he passes off as his own are written by his wife. He is having a barely-concealed affair with his editor, Betty, who is now pregnant with his child. Henry considers leaving his wife for Betty but decides he really doesn't like Betty very much, so he comes up with a plan to extricate himself from his situat
Kristin
I feel like I'm abandoning things a lot lately. I guess when you are crazy busy and stressed out, it makes you not want to waste what little time you have with things that don't make you happy.

This book reminds me a lot of The Shining Girls. In much the same way, I had a hard time connecting with story and the characters. Does it sound terrible to say that it's clearly hard for me to find sociopaths entertaining?

I received an arc copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest revie
Lindsey Lynn (thepagemistress)
2.5/5 Stars

I received this book from a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway!

This book, though it was short, took me far too long to get into. I had trouble with the characters, I was just frustrated with all of them. The plot was predictable for me personally. I liked the writing style, it flowed well and thoughtfully. However this book was just a little predictable and not semi forgetful. If you like thrillers I suggest giving it a try, if you're not in the mood for a thriller though, hold off until
Petra
Rating refers to the German audiobook narrated by Axel Milberg.
Well written, clever story with some dark humour.
Melissa
To keep a secret, you should never lose concentration; tell nobody and never forget.

From the very first page, the author sets up a story riddled with complications, betrayal and deceit. And he delivered for the most part. The unexpected twists were enough to keep me interested, even with characters I never really grew to like and writing that I didn’t immediately connect with.

Henry is a best-selling author at the height of his career. He’s rich, famous and well-liked in the small town where he
Fictionophile
“The truth and other lies” was a novel strong on characterization and filled with delightful imagery. Sascha Arango, a German television writer, has written a page-turner of a novel that entertains with dark humor and deviousness. The novel is the winner of the Prix Européen du Polar du Point, France, 2015. I’m sure this is only the beginning of it’s literary success!

For my complete review see my blog, Fictionophile
Jill
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
When a novel has as many twists and turns as this one, less is more.

As a result, I will not reveal anything that is not on the book jacket. And that’s this: suppose you are a bestselling author named Henry whose entire life is a lie…and your wife is the only one who knows it. And now suppose your lover reveals to you that she’s pregnant with your child. Further suppose that a childhood nemesis is hot on your trail.

It’s the makings of a compelling read. For those who enjoyed Herman Koch’s The Di
Linda Strong
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Henry is a man without a past.. at least not one he's willing to talk about. And it wouldn't matter anyway ... his truth may not be the whole truth. He's married to a woman who seems to love him unconditionally. Henry is a well-known author, but it's his wife who actually writes the books. Henry is a man other men aspire to be and the man that many women seem to be drawn to. One mistake .. that's all it took.. one mistake and the building blocks come tumbling down.

I am torn between liking and no
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
What a ride! This impeccably crafted thriller that centers around a main character who is the scariest and most abhorrent type of person, an inherently evil man with a completely charming, witty, friendly persona.
Henry Hayden has become a local hero of sorts, having written a series of best selling novels. However it is his wife, who writes throughout most nights who is the author of these stories. She wants no fame and Henry thrives on it. Things go well for Henry as he enjoys all the things t
Dale Harcombe
This is probably not a book I would normally read but I was sent it by the publisher. So, thanks to Text Publishing for extending my reading. I found this to be a clever but rather strange book. To begin with I was interested in the characters, although I never ever saw Henry as the back cover blurb says as ‘a delightful person to have around.’ It is obvious from very early on that there is something dark and manipulative about him. Just the fact that he could take credit for the novels his wife ...more
Bettie
BABT

Description: In 'Reading Europe', Radio 4 continues its journey across Europe exploring the best in contemporary literature with this hugely successful German thriller set on a small cliff-top town in which everyone has a secret.

Famous novelist, with a beautiful wife, grand house in the country and more money than he can spend - Henry Hayden has it all. Or so it seems. His perfect life rests on one carefully constructed lie, a lie he will stop at noth
Karen
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, fiction
The title doesn’t seem to make sense, but The Truth and Other Lies is perfect for this book. This book was a total mess, but in all the right ways. The characters in this book were seriously twisted. So I really enjoyed this story and read the whole thing in one day.

Henry is a bad man. To the outside world, he seems like the story of success. His books are all best sellers and he is well respected. No one knows that his wife is the real author, he is just the name. They are happily married and l
switterbug (Betsey)
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Henry Hayden, blockbuster German novelist, lives a luxury life of lies. His past is sealed as tight as a drum, and he doesn’t share it with anyone. His wife, Martha, seems like a woman out of the 50’s—she takes care of all of Henry’s needs and doesn’t ever complain. On the other hand, his mistress, who is pregnant, is vocal and demanding. Soon, he makes some bad decisions, and his past is about to ram head-first into his present, and destroy his future. Henry has to work swiftly in order to keep ...more
Tooter
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars
Jeanette
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Contrary to my latest fiction reading trend, this one starts out off-putting in the beginning and yet yields a decent whole. As opposed to the numerous great starts that flatten out to insipid or nothing.

It's not the typical psychological thriller who-dun-it, although like most current moderns the characters are all beyond flawed, or hold heavy handed self serving motives, intrinsically amoral. The story centers around Henry, his thoughts, his choices, his acts.

It left me questioning some aspec
Tamara
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a twisted book. Background checks are necessary!!
Melissa Chung
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 52-aty-2019
Wow this book was a trip. 'The Truth and Other Lies' is the debut novel of Germany's most prominent screenplay writer. It definitely kept me on my toes. I'm giving this book 4 stars. It was really good, but not great. I don't know what is missing to make me feel it's only 4 stars instead of 5, but my gut is that.

This story isn't a mystery or a thriller. Not really. It's more or less how will our main character Henry Hayden stay out of the Police's radar.

We have several characters here that I wi
Marvin
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense

Henry Hayden is a bestselling author but he did not write any of his novels. His wife Martha did and she is fine with her husband taking the credit. However when Henry finds out his affair with Betty has resulted in her pregnancy, he becomes concerned that everything he built with his wife will come
Kasia
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Consider it better than gone girl and girl on the train
John
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Henry Hayden is a best-selling novelist. What the world doesn't know is that he's not the author of those novels; their real writer is his wife, Martha, who has sworn him to secrecy on the matter -- she's a compulsive writer who doesn't want to be an author. The two love each other deeply, albeit not especially passionately, and she tolerates his many infidelities. But then his mistress, Betty, tells him that she's pregnant with his child . . . which is a dangerous thing to do, because Henry, ho ...more
Donna
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Henry Hayden with a secret past is taking all the credit for his wife's writings. She has written novels that have been best sellers and Henry takes all the kudos. His wife, Martha, does not want to be known for the works, so Henry does.

He has a mistress that is hidden in plain sight and has become pregnant with his child. Henry does not want children. What is he to do? He wants to drop Betty, the mistress.

One rainy night he thinks he may have solved his problem when he goes to the beach where B
Rachel Hall
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Truth and Other Lies by Sascha Arango

Henry Hayden, celebrated novelist can perhaps be considered as a work of fiction. A man who plays his cards close to his chest, leaves much unspoken, and seems to understand that in manipulating people, appearances and reality differ vastly. At 44, Henry is in the comfortable position of leaving the actual writing of these bestselling tomes to his wife, Martha. However he is presented as the public face of the novels with Martha being an altogether more r
Stephanie  G
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Henry Hayden is a best selling novelist whose life changes when he discovers his mistress, Betty, is preggers. He is between wanting Betty dead and wanting to tell his wife the truth. Martha and Henry have taken care of one another for years, and after trying to tell Martha, his wife, the truth he decides he has a better idea. Only his idea goes array when Martha goes missing and Betty turns up knocking on his door.

The Truth and Other Lies is a novel by the German playwright and now nov

• The Circle of Thirteen
  • The Blank Wall
  • On the Java Ridge
  • Kinderzimmer
  • A Song From Dead Lips (Breen and Tozer, #1)
  • Letters From a Murderer (Finley Jameson & Joseph Argenti #1)
  • Akropolis
  • Resurrection Bay (Caleb Zelic, #1)
  • Seduction of the Innocent (Jack & Maggie Starr #3)
  • Cairo
  • Orient
  • Il matematico impertinente
  • The Stone Boy
  • Happy Birthday, Türke! (Kayankaya #1)
  • Some Kind of Wonderful (Cupcake Lovers #3.5)
  • The Grand Duchess of Nowhere
  • Brennerova  (Brenner, #8)
  • A Dangerous Fiction: A Mystery
Sascha Arango is one of Germany’s most prominent screenplay writers and a two-time winner of the Grimme Prize, a prestigious award for German television, for his work on the long-running detective series Tatort. His first novel, The Truth and Other Lies, will be published in more than thirteen countries in 2015. He lives in Germany.
“The liars among us will know that every lie must contain a certain amount of truth if it's to be convincing. A dash of truth is often enough, but it's indispensable, like the olive in the martini.” 13 likes
“Betrayal is a riddle we want to solve” 9 likes