Start by marking “The Dirt Cure: Growing Healthy Kids with Food Straight from Soil” as Want to Read:
The Dirt Cure: Growing Healthy Kids with Food Straight from Soil

The Dirt Cure: Growing Healthy Kids with Food Straight from Soil

In the tradition of Michael Pollan, Mark Hyman, and Andrew Weil, pioneering integrative pediatric neurologist Maya Shetreat-Klein, MD, reveals the shocking contents of children’s food, how it’s seriously harming their bodies and brains, and what we can do about it. And she presents the first nutritional plan for getting and keeping children healthy—a plan that any family c ...more
Published January 26th 2016 by Atria Books (first published July 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Dirt Cure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dirt Cure

* A Reader Obsessed *
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-mm, audio
4 Stars

If you’re ready to be absolutely appalled by the food industry then gird your loins!

Sobering, disheartening, I’m all set to buy some acreage and start raising my own livestock and growing enough for a CSA. Any takers to join me in this lofty endeavor?

You can’t unsee the things revealed in this eye opening blistering commentary about our food industry. Read at your own risk!
Erin Longbrake
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-contest
There were interesting parts of this book, and things I agree with (pesticides are probably bad for health, the fda doesn't measure or regulate many things that are probably relevant to health, reading whole foods is superior to processed foods).

However, I felt like she probably overstated what is known about the health benefits of the various micro nutrients, phytonutrients, etc. She cited a lot of studies to support her points, but my experience of science is that it's rarely that black and w
Mandy
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it

”Food—real food—is the embodiment of all the healing properties of nature: rich soil, warm sunshine, fresh air, living water, and diverse microbes. Real food connects our inner terrain to the outer terrain, and aligns them. This alignment makes us well and keeps our bodies resilient.”

“Even though the United States holds only 5 percent of the world’s population, it’s responsible for 75 percent of global prescription drug use. And these prescribed medications have consequences.”

********

W
Sezín Koehler
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
So eye-opening and in many ways terrifying to learn the state of food in America. Dr. Maya offers lots of proactive solutions especially for parents with ill children, but this book is useful for anyone who cares about what they put into their bodies. Full review to come.
Marcy
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a very interesting book that goes into the medical and health aspects of soil. It's written by a pediatrician who has the medical and scientific background to talk about why the health of our soil matters and how it affects our health. She also offers important insight into things like how dangerous it is for children to grow up in a sanitized environment filled with anti-bacterial soaps and such that break down our immune system and make us less healthy.
Christine Fitzgerald
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eye opening facts and tons of helpful information about our food choice and how it effects our health.
Jennifer Allen
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book for parents/anyone who are trying to help kids with health issues, developmental issues, and behavioral issues in a natural way. The author goes in to great detail why more and more kids are getting sick through the foods we eat...and we are just trying to medicate their symptoms...not find the underlying issue or cause of their problems. Great for everyone's health really...great read!
Jessica
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
So insightful. Brings awareness to the health and goodness of our earth and how to provide healthy food for our families.
Jess Macallan
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition-health

This book offers a comprehensive, science-backed, common-sense overview of how to feed your child. Topics addressed revolve around the impact on gut health and include food allergies/sensitivities, the role of macronutrients, gluten, dairy, meat, fish, GMOs, cholesterol, and hydration to name a few. The chapter on GMOs alone makes the book worth reading. It's one I'll refer to until science can offer an unbiased perspective (and by that I mean not bought and paid for by Monsanto) on the
Elizabeth
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The Dirt Cure: Growing Healthy Kids with Food Straight from Soil (Hardcover)
by Maya Shetreat-Klein

ordered from the library

heard au on radio https://www.splendidtable.org/episode... heard
from the library computer:
Contents:
Part I. Welcome to the dirt cure. Where true health begins ; Learning to listen to the body : what symptoms tell you ; Healthy body, healthy brain ; Time to clean up -- Part II. Step one: heal. Food allergens and sensitivities : how "healthy" foods can hurt ; Artificial food
Charlie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-development
Dr. Shetreat-Klein provides a fantastic literary journey through most of what we’ve seen/heard of in documentaries like Food Inc., or most recently, What The Health. We all know most of what we eat isn’t food, so try to find ways to avoid what we always eat and get back to eating stuff from the ground (preferably, she argues, from your backyard). The coolest part of her slant is that the book is entirely premised with the idea that this information is needed to keep our children safe. I think th ...more
Meghan
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought the title was a bit misleading. She does talk a little about the benefits of playing in the dirt, but I kind of thought that's what the whole book would be about. Nevertheless, I thought she had some good tips in there. I didn't find it necessary to read it word-for-word; there are some helpful cut and dry summaries at the end of each chapter. A lot of what she recommends would not be realistic for the average parent to do (boil astralagus root with ginger, seaweed, etc.?!).
Nicole
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fascinating book that deserves a better title. Though the frequent "Dr. Oz" style of over-sensationalism and her way of throwing other physicians unabashedly under the bus are definite detractors, the information is eye opening and often helpful and practical. Read at your own risk though; it's definitely not an uplifting message and it's hard to come away hopeful, particularly in the current political environment.
Julie
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book because it was like reading several different books in one. The author hits a lot of topics. It is full of great information. She also has practical ideas. It is a great book for any parent trying to feed their family in a healthier way to cure illnesses and just to be healthier.
Dale Cousins
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Admittedly, I just scanned this book. Much of the info I knew and more of it is frightening. Sometimes I think the only thing we do right here is eat our eggs from our own chickens! We do drink a lot of water and eat fresh veggies and fruit from the farmer's market but even those things are tricky when you explore the sources from whence they come.
Amie
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. Yes, I feel a little overwhelmed with all of the suggested lifestyle changes but I have to remember Rome wasn't built in a day. A few changes each month and I'll get there! Cheers to a happy gut and a healthy life!
Rachel
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and super thorough book by a pediatric neurologist on the connections between what we eat--and how we feed our children and its affect on brain health, development and dysfunction. A must read for every parent out there. Will change the way you think about food, dirt and nature.
Rachael Boyer
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this!

Essential to understanding our health and how it's connected with what we eat and our environment. Especially great for parents.
Christy Rivers
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I plan to go back and look at some of the research cited in here but we are making big changes in our food purchases based on this book.
Jen
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written, although a bit rich on the judgemental perspectives. Good information but not as many solutions as there are problems posed. Excellent ideas for food options @ the end.
Sarah Billing
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great info -
Melissa
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, library, wishlist
Suffers from a dumb (and misleading) title, but it's a good book. It's giving me ideas.
Mary
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
good reminders to get me back on track eating and living well
Catherine
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book came at just the right time. The author's explanations of why we are seeing so many food allergies and autoimmune disorders made a lot of sense. If you follow current health trends there aren't a whole lot of new revelations (though the information on how grocery store milk gets to the shelves was fascinating), but this interpretation from a kids' health perspective was hugely helpful.
Alison
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This was a quick and interesting read, and includes some good recipes. A memorable line, that was in bold lettering:
"My advice: Avoid all artificial sweeteners, and never look back."

"Bitter is Better", is fascinating, in that bitter organic produce stimulates our immune systems and help us maintain homeostasis on all levels. They also help us with insulin release, blood sugar levels, wound healing, reduced risk of food allergies and more. Very cool!

The author says that taming bitter
Teresa Russell
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pretty much reinforces everything I already do....good start for people clueless to the environmental toxins children are constantly being exposed to. It's refreshing to have a real MD medical pediatric neurosurgeon speaking out about this and not some naturopathic zealot.
Sammie Robinson
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Every person on the planet needs to read this book.
Lee
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Good info. A lot of what I have already read, but great resource.
Sanju
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Some parts were interesting to me and others less so. I wish the author had written a little bit more about her own project of building the garden/food forest at her office.
Amber
Apr 30, 2017 rated it liked it
There was some interesting information in this book, some I've heard before and some I haven't. I think anyone with a child with health or behavioral issues should read this. However, I found the food recommendations a bit pretentious and hard to reach. My family spends quite a bit on food and we try hard to get as much organic and local as we can. However, if we were to follow the author's guidelines, our grocery budget would quadruple. I wish it had more halfway guidelines, or attainable ones. ...more

• Consumed: Food for a Finite Planet
  • Cure Your Child with Food: The Hidden Connection Between Nutrition and Childhood Ailments
  • Just Draw It!: The Dynamic Drawing Course for Anyone with a Pencil & Paper
  • Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing  Nutrient-dense Recipes
  • The Edible Garden: How to Have Your Garden and Eat It, Too
  • 100 Million Years of Food: What Our Ancestors Ate and Why It Matters Today
  • Maangchi's Real Korean Cooking: Authentic Dishes for the Home Cook
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Ends of the Earth
  • My Mother, Your Mother: Embracing "Slow Medicine," the Compassionate Approach to Caring for Your Aging Loved Ones
  • A Reasonable Life: Toward a Simpler, Secure, More Humane Existence
  • Year-Round Indoor Salad Gardening: How to Grow Nutrient-Dense, Soil-Sprouted Greens in Less Than 10 Days
  • The Adrenal Thyroid Revolution: A Proven 4-Week Program to Rescue Your Metabolism, Hormones, Mind  Mood
  • Today and Tomorrow: Commemorative Edition of Ford's 1926 Classic
  • Hygge Habits: 42 Habits for a Happy Life through Danish Hygge that take Five Minutes or Less
  • The Paleo Coach: Expert Advice for Extraordinary Health, Sustainable Fat Loss, and an incredible body
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • Honestly Healthy: Eat with your body in mind, the alkaline way