Start by marking “Eve” as Want to Read:
Eve

Eve

The Shack shattered our limited perceptions about God. Eve will destroy harmful misconceptions about ourselves.

From the author of the 25-million copy bestseller The Shack comes a captivating new novel destined to be one of the most important and talked-about books of the decade.

Published September 15th 2015 by Howard Books (first published September 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Eve, please sign up.
Marie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Eve
Kristin
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I read The Shack a few years ago and was blown away by it. It was the only book I didn’t want to finish because I truly didn’t want it to end. I wanted to stay in the shack with the warm, loving God I met there. This book, Eve, was at first, extremely confusing. I couldn’t understand the culture of the new society the author wrote about. It wasn’t very well explained until further into the book. Eventually though, that storyline ...more
Megz
Aug 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
I don’t have a nice way of starting this review: I hated this book. I am a fan of Young’s The Shack. It was a fairly life-changing book for me (granted, I was eighteen at the time). I loved that the story was enjoyable to believers and non-believers alike; and I loved how it sparked debate in the Christian community – the kind of debate that had been ignored for years.

I was excited about Eve because I expected that Young had something similarly profound to say. The description promises a “
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book had moments of goodness and engagement but overall was too confusing. The Shack promoted thought provoking questions. I highly enjoyed The Shack but Eve took on too many topics that jumble things in my head. This book never came together where I felt like I understood the overall objective.
Esther
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
From a man who experientially knows the devastating pain of loss comes a heartfelt story about the courage it takes to allow oneself to be found and held in the loving arms of the Trinity. Set aside your preconceived notions and read this story for what it really is: an invitation to heal, to be loved. I wept along with Lilly and her healers as she uncovers her tragedies and finds herself as a precious and highly sought-after daughter of God.

This story speaks so deeply to my heart. Thank you,
Safari Spell
This was way weird. I think that's why I kept reading. It's odd how I was aggravated and confused 75% of the time but kept reading. I don't even know.
Jen
Mar 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, lent-read
Banner
Aug 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: religious, fiction, dnf
Thank you Net Gallery . I was really excited about reading this book. The Shack was such an impactful story for me I just knew I would love this. I'm really sorry to say I did not. I set it aside for sometime and would try to go back to it and just couldn't do it. Hey I tried.

Well first of all, you may have already surmised it is nothing like The Shack.

A small girl is in a wreak and awakes to find herself on another plane of existence. This story reaks with allegory. Even the allegorys have
BAM The Bibliomaniac
I have no idea what the hell the author is talking about. The end
David Takle
Nov 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Warning --- spoiler alert.
The only reason I read this book was because I liked The Shack. But this was awful.
I was thoroughly repulsed by the unbelievable lengths Young went to in order to stand the story of the fall on its head. When he talks about the book in interviews, he claims that he is trying to "balance" the male and female roles in the story of how sin entered our world. But there is nothing balanced about his story at all.
First, he has Adam turning away from God and toward self even
Tanja Berg
This book has one redeeming quality - just one - and that is that it is a quick read. Aside from this, it defies catagorization. Like some other reviewers, I don't know if this is SF, fantasy, paranormal or what the author might be aiming for. The beginning of the book is a confused mess and when I finally realize where it is all going - a retelling of the story of creation - I am already seriously fed up.

The author is so full of himself it hurts. He really thinks he has something amazing going
Rhonda
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wm. Paul Young presents a breathtaking view of the Garden of Eden and Creation. While this novel does use scripture as a basis, it is a fictional work and therefore takes license with a great deal. I think the biggest and most important message readers will gain from this book is that there is a God who loves us eternally and makes us worthy of His love. Mankind is broken as the young girl who is found in the shipping container is broken. We all need healing and it is not a quick or a simple ...more
Sheryle
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
ARC provided by NetGalley and Howard Books

Eve: A Novel by Wm. Paul Young is really two stories in one book. The first is the tale of a broken girl who washes up on the shore of an island and how she heals. The second story is a retelling of the biblical account of creation and man’s expulsion from the Garden of Eden.

There was much about the first story I enjoyed. The characters we met were well-written and interesting. I only wish there had been more of them. The few descriptions of the island
Rebekah Crain
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Simply put, this book was incredible.

As our story starts, John the Collector is called upon to help investigate a ship-like container that has washed up on the beach. What starts out as a simple collection missions turns into so much more as he discovers the badly broken body of a young girl not quite dead. John along with his team must work together to help fix the girl and bring her back from whatever terror she has succumbed to.

But there is so much more to this multi-faceted story. On the
Tanner Cooper-Risser
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible read! This book was filled with incredible theology and insight on humanity and our condition. It is a beautiful reminder that we are deeply loved by our Creator: God three in one. Adonai, Elohim, Ruach. Eternal Man, Fire, and Wind. This book does an excellent job of challenging assumptions we have adapted and added to the creation narrative as well as taking artistic liberties to fill in the gaps and create a wonderful story. Young seems to be like the new CS Lewis, Tolkien, ...more
Cheryl
Dec 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: unfinished
Horrible. Not what I expected from this author. Unbearably repetitive and rambling. Constantly eludes to something important that will happen "soon," but never gets around to it. So far-fetched that it seems to read like it was written to be a sci-fi movie ... and a bad one at that. I rarely give up on a book, but this story couldn't grab or hold my interest even after several hours of trying.
Erica
Oct 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
I never do this, but I put it down unfinished. Made it halfway and just don't have ANY desire to continue. I Don't recommend it
Charly
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
This was an entertaining book, however the construct was too similar to The Shack, for me. Beyond that it too explores ones personal relationship with your God. Young has tweaked his construct enough here that it is not a cookie cutter work, but I do not think I would come back to this well again.
Sharon Huether
A fantasy in the Garden of Eden. The birth of Adam and of Eve too.
There was the talking serpent with his suggestive evil ways.
B. Mason
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Eve is a garbled mess. Young takes elements of sci-fi mixed with an acutely bizarre reimagining of the creation story of Genesis. I will concede that there is a substantial point in the book: an individual has value and there is an intense level of harm in the patriarchal systems of violence in society and the lies an individual tells themselves; but, when you wrap up a good message with cliche and trite prose, rudimentary world-building, and unrealistic dialogue this book's OVERT thesis is an ...more
Melissa Lindsey
Aug 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Unlike my all-night reading marathon of the Shack, I struggled to get through this book. As in, I had to force myself to keep reading, to follow the narrative, to like the characters. From the very first page, I felt like I was lost and it a good 50 pages or so before I felt like I was in. Had I not loved the Shack so much, I would have abandoned this book.

What's difficult/different about this book? It was difficult to figure out what was real or what could be real. I understand fantasy and I
Diane Estrella
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, the first few chapters of this book were difficult for me to follow. You are dropped in a place where you are not quite sure where you are and who you are with. It took me a while to get my bearings in this story but once I did, it was an interesting journey.

As many other reviewers have mentioned, this is a fictional book. No one can know the entire story of everything that happened in the Garden of Eden, other than what is included in the Bible. There are many questions as to how it
Nancy
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
An Unusual Take on the Story of Creation

A shipping container filled with the bodies of young women washes up on the shore of an island between worlds. John the Collector is called to see what's in the container. Surprisingly, he finds one of the young women alive, badly broken, but alive.

During the healing process, the young woman experiences the story of creation in the presence of Mother Eve. It's beautifully told and although the young woman feels unworthy to be a witness, she loves the
Diana
Sep 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
I looked forward to this book as I have loved both The Shack and Crossroads. This book however fell short in so many ways. I can try to understand how an author can take certain liberties with a biblical story, I'm good with that but the author just took it to a level that almost made me sick. Much like the recent movie Noah, some of the story line just made me mad and sick at the same time. Some of it was lovely, the ending way to weird. I forced my way through it hoping to find something ...more
Tish
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I loved "The Shack" by William Paul Young, but this one, not so much. It was a confusing jumble of too many elements. Many were just sort of introduced and then dropped, others were expounded on but in such a convoluted way that I was left wondering what point the author was trying to make.

Note: Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me a free e-galley of this book.
Brett Olson
Jan 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
I enjoyed "The Shack" and "Crossroads" but Young takes extreme liberties with the biblical story of Adam and Eve that it is borderline heretical. The story was entertaining but in no way representative of the biblical narrative.
Read, Run, Ramble
My review (as published at Read, Run, Ramble)

Thank you, Howard Books via Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book!

I’m sorry to say that this novel was a struggle for me. I spent most of the book quite confused and bored.
Eve was a weird book. The Shack was weird too, but I read and enjoyed it because it took normal theology and gave it character, personalization, familiarity – it helped it make sense and feel comforting. Eve didn’t do that for me. The book felt confused to me –
Karen
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Review copy provided via NetGallery in exchange for an honest review

Summary:

When a shipping container washes ashore on an island between our world and the next, John the Collector finds a young woman inside—broken, frozen, and barely alive. With the aid of Healers and Scholars, John oversees her recovery and soon discovers her genetic code connects her to every known human race. She is a girl of prophecy and no one can guess what her survival will mean...

No one but Eve, Mother of the Living, who
Kathryn
I want to start by saying that I loved The Shack - Wm. Paul Young’s first book. One of the books I read through Advent was a collection of reflections on the first Christmas and the reason why we celebrate it, and one of the reflections said that the blank spaces between the lines in the Bible are ripe for our questions - things that we aren’t told in the Bible but are still curious about. I thought The Shack explored the spaces between these lines brilliantly - in a way that challenged ...more
Kim
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to receive an advance copy of Eve in exchange for a book review. Eve is the Creation story, but told from a different angle. A young woman, frozen and close to death, washes up in a shipping container. John, who is a Collector, encourages Healers and Scholars to help nurse her back to health. In her restorative dreams, Eve meets a mysterious woman who shows Eve the story of Creation in all its beauty, and how all of us are beautiful and unique in our own ways, and we ourselves ...more
Jessica
Dec 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Rarely do I not finish a book. This is one of those times. As I got further in the storyline, the contradictions with God's Word became greater and greater. I think the story lost me when God was described as a "she" who has breasts and nurses "her" child. Too bad I wasted my time, but at least not my money (library find).

• The Shack Revisited: There Is More Going On Here than You Ever Dared to Dream
  • So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore: An Unexpected Journey
  • Skirgaila
  • Spice and Wolf I (Spice and Wolf Light Novel Omnibus, #1)
  • Lady: My Life as a Bitch
  • Waste of Timelessness and Other Early Stories
  • Umlčaní
  • Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith
  • Eve's Daughters
  • Sinners in the Hands of a Loving God: The Scandalous Truth of the Very Good News
  • ¡Estás fatal!
  • Sueños sin límites
Wm. Paul Young is a Canadian author. Young was the oldest of four. He spend the majority of his first decade with his missionary parents in the highlands of Netherlands New Guinea (West Papua), among the Dani, a tribal people. When he was six he was sent to a boarding school.

The manuscript, that later became The Shack, was intended only for his six kids and for a handful of close friends. After
“I don’t believe in God. I know God! Once you know someone, believing is no longer a concern.” 9 likes
“every person is a story and therefore is a storyteller. Trouble is that many fear failure, so they never begin.” 7 likes