Start by marking “Liaden Universe Constellation: Volume III” as Want to Read:
Liaden Universe Constellation: Volume III

Liaden Universe Constellation: Volume III (Liaden Universe stories)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  321 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
BOOK 3 in the multivolume Liaden Universe ® short fiction collection. Tales of the Liaden Universe® brought together for the first time. Space opera and romance on a grand scale in a galaxy full of interstellar trading clans.

The nationally best-selling Liaden Universe® novels are treasured by space opera aficionados for their wit, world-building, strong characterizations,
Published August 4th 2015 by Baen (first published July 16th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Liaden Universe Constellation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liaden Universe Constellation

Dan
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, liaden-universe
Quite good, now I wait till the next Liaden series book..
Kathleen
A welcome collection of 12 short stories, some of which I've already read. Some get 5 stars, some only 2, so I average to 3.5. All of these titles have been published before, if only online at Baen.com or at the authors' wonderful Splinter website. Some have been published previously in digital two-fer chapbooks and/or in larger anthologies. It peeves me to pay twice for the same story.

Each story and some previous publication info:

"Code of Honor” was first published on Spinter Universe, May 2014
Paraphrodite
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A few interesting stories in this volume. I particularly enjoyed the one with the Light Keeper and the one with the Bebels and the church organ. Also, the one with Jeeves' orgins was very enlightening.
Charty
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
More Liaden stories are always welcome, and this installment has a decent ratio of good to great stories for readers to enjoy. As would be expected, if you don't have a previous knowledge of the Universe and it's many books, most of these stories will not be fully appreciable.

I most enjoyed: Intelligent Design which sees the origin story of Jeeves, Korval's robot butler;
Roving Gambler, wherein we learn about Quin (Pat Rin's son and heir); King of the Cats, which was a fun crossover with Val Con
Milady133
Good collection of stories, I enjoyed them all mostly.
- Code of Honor: 5 stars
- Guaranteed Delivery: Quite convoluted story of people using other people, 4 stars.
- Intelligent Design: I enjoyed it, but I didn't grasp how Balance was achieve through employing Jeeves, 4 stars.
- Out of True: 4 stars.
- Roving Gambler: 5 stars.
- King of the Cats: I didn't liked it much, a mixed story. 2 stars.
- Kin Ties: 5 stars.
- Eleutherios: 5 stars.
- The Rifle's First Wife: 5 stars.
- The Space at Tinsori Light: 4
Patricia Litz
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I like these short stories. They give background to a character skimmed over in a novel. I keep trying to get the older stories about my favorites but the electronic world we live in now is getting rid of actual books. People will be sorry when they have a book burning like "Fahrenheit 400" described in a future world and they are not allowed to own books anymore. I'm old and I still like the feel of books in my hands.
Susie
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, fantasy, re-re-read
A fun collection of Liaden-ish stories. I'm always hungry for more.
Julie Malcolm
So many origin stories!
KateNZ
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, space-opera
[If you’re already a fan of the Liaden Universe series, don’t read the rest of this. You know it already].

Confession time. From the time I picked up “Conflict of Honors” for the first time, I have been a total fangirl of all Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's books, particularly the Liaden Universe series. Their world building is so detailed and appealing and I never want to leave the company of their characters, particularly Daav (spot the crush), Er Thom and Val Con. The tone of the books is alway
Kevin Black
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
l I keep enjoying these books.
Dawn Paris
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Liaden short story collection is like a box of tasty, tasty chocolates: I devoured one, then another, then another, each one with something yummy in the middle. Or maybe it's a ship, and I get to see where some passengers get onboard or go ashore, and every so often a door opens and I get a peek at the goings-on down the side passages.

So basically, if you've ever wondered "What happened to--" or "Where did so-and-so come from" or "But what about--," then this is for you. (As are the previou
Joy Smith
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the Liaden universe, their culture, and all those characters in all those books so I was happy to read another collection and add it to my bookshelves. All the stories are new except for King of the Cats, but I enjoyed rereading it. There are early and later stories focusing on various characters, and I enjoyed the updates and the new backgrounds. My favorites include Code of Honor (seeing Miri and Beautiful is always a treat), Guaranteed Delivery (fun), and Intelligent Design (I loved it ...more
Sctechsorceress
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read most of these stories before, but they all stand up well to re-readings, and it's nice to have them all in one book. I love Lee & Miller's books, and I have to say I absolutely agree that just because a character appears only on a couple of pages of a novel, that doesn't mean that character doesn't have her, or his own story.

You'll find some of those stories, here. Also some bits of a novel or two that never were. Very enjoyable from start to finish.

Of, course, this is a must fo
Kat
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these

As always Lee and Miller come through with a pack of varied stories in the Liaden Universe(R) that fill in gaps you didn't know you wanted filled. Kinda like your friend the good cook saying ,"Here, try this." And OMG! suddenly your taste buds are going dingdingdingding! And life is complete. No, really. They do this kind of stuff all the time while leaving you wanting to find the nearest taxi for Maine so you can respectfully sit and pet the cats and maybe make them bacon while waitin
Bruce
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you're familiar with the Liaden Universe, I don't need to say anything beyond - another great collection of the short stories from the chapbooks and from the Baen website. If you're not..... stop reading this. Go and find a friend with the entire set, and book a week off work - you'll want it. These stories do stand alone, but they're SO much better when you know the characters. Lee & Miller's short stories are filling in the background of the universe, and each one is like a chocolate tr ...more
Charlie Moses
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mostly I love Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's fiction, most of which is set in the Liaden Universe, of their own invention. This is a collection of short works that tend to follow bit players introduced in longer works, or side characters affected by the action of the main story. And they're really interesting and enjoyable in their own rights! If you have found the Liaden Universe to your taste (this would be a thinking person's space opera) then don't miss this book.
Barbara
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
I enjoyed these stories very much, but was a little disappointed to discover there were only three in the collection that I didn't already own. There is a lot of overlap between the various collections - Unibus vs Constellations vs standalone "chap books". Still, I was happy to have 3 new stories to read.
Mike
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always a great visit to the Liaden universe!

A fine collection of shorts from the undisputed masters of universe building Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. I have bought, read and thoroughly enjoyed every novel and collection they have offered in this series. I would recommend any and all of their works to anyone seeking an enjoyable read in the science fiction genre.
Eileen
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good stories that fit in well.

The only fiction I have kept copies of is the books of the Liaden series. These are also the only books I reread. These short stories are worthy of inclusion.
Beth
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Kin Ties" is not only the best story in this collection; it's also one of the best Liaden stories overall.
Denise
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A chocolate-covered-cherry almond jamocha chip Blizzard of a treat.
Teresa Carrigan
excellent short stories. Most are space opera, two are fantasy. The stories can be enjoyed even by those who have never before read any of the Liaden Universe books. Highly recommended.
Helen Bassett
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice group of stories. I really enjoyed each one. Some I had already read but was glad to revisit them. The new ones were a lovely surprise.
James
Aug 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, fiction
The authors empty out their desk drawers to find some good and not so good stories.
ms bookjunkie
Another wonderful collection of Liaden stories, each more awesome than the last. Love! More soonest, please?
Beth
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like Liaden, and these short stories are over before I start asking tough questions.
Nancy Fulton
  • February Thaw & Other Stories of Contemporary Fantasy
  • The Very Best of Kate Elliott
  • Hearts and Swords
  • The Best Mistake: A Selection from Love Comes Along
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • Penric's Demon (Penric and Desdemona, #1)
  • One Enchanted Season
  • Devonshire (Richard and Rose, #2)
  • Exile of the Crown (The Crown of Tremontane #2.5)
  • Elf Fantastic
  • The Waters of Eternity (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand, #1.5)
  • Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below
  • The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories, Volume Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands (The Unreal and the Real, #2)
  • Clarkesworld: Year Six (Clarkesworld Anthology, #6)
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 4
  • Forgotten Suns
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so much that she
More about Sharon Lee

Liaden Universe (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Crystal Soldier (The Great Migration Duology, #1; Liaden Universe, #1)
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2; Liaden Universe, #2)
  • Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)
  • Trade Secret (Liaden Universe, #4)
  • Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5)
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • Mouse and Dragon (Liaden Universe, #7)
  • Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)
  • Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9)
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)