Start by marking “Move Your Bus: An Extraordinary New Approach to Accelerating Success in Work and Life” as Want to Read:

New York Times bestselling author and award-winning educator Ron Clark applies his successful leadership principles to the business world in this effective and accessible guidebook, perfect for any manager looking to inspire and motivate his or her team. Includes a foreword by bestselling author and FranklinCovey executive Sean Covey.

Teamwork is crucial to the success of a
Published June 30th 2015 by Touchstone (first published June 16th 2015)

Eliza
Aug 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
I bought this book for ideas and strategies on efficient leadership but found it harped on the makeup of inherently effective and ineffective employees. Preachy. Singleminded. Sexist, even.
shanghao
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Comes across as a one-type fits all solution, and all the while it was waxing lyrical about the author's own institution. Which wasn't a problem to me, except that I don't see how using a parable to simplify, identify and interact with employee types equals extraordinary management wisdom.

Thankfully the prose is readable/skim-friendly enough, so at least there are no lingering bad feelings.
Shawn  Stone
May 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book comes off more as a rant piece against former colleagues than the thinly veiled educational management book it purports to be.

Without stating the obvious, Clarke unintentionally takes the reader for a tour ride on the darker side of intra-organizational drama-queen politics. Clarke doesn’t show how to move the bus as much as how to throw people under it. He attacks any number of former colleagues and staff members for the most minor of infractions acting as judge, jury and executioner.
David Doty
Nov 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Full of self promotion and arrogant in tone, this book is nothing but a weak analogy (move your bus like the Flintstones) that serves as a bragging platform for the author. If you're in the market for a good business book, look elsewhere.
Beth Lind
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great thoughts on encouraging the best employees and not wasting time on the dead weights.
Amy
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Mixed emotions about this book. I completely agree with his strategies on how administrators should support the "runners" in the organization; that chapter should be required reading for admins.

However, I disagree with the implications that a person's career should be his/ her life. For example, he writes, "Even if you can stay only thirty minutes past quitting time, do it" (47). "Only" thirty minutes? If you have an employee who is willing to give you 30 minutes of unpaid time (volunteering) w
Elizabeth
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Using the symbolism of a bus, Ron paints a simple yet wise picture of how the organization that you work within is a bus.
There are different types of workers making the bus move forward.
This book gives real life examples of keeping folks motivated,
rewarding folks,
providing a welcoming, clean, high standard work environment,
sharing expectations,
playing,
laughing,
contemplating,
and learning together.
This book was a breath o
Roberta Phillips
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting but superficial. I think it is important to realize that not every organization wants more runners. for organizations that want all of the control to be from the top down, runners are threatening. They either leave or become joggers.

I gleamed a few ideas and Ron's writing style is easy to follow.
Jacqueline
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow another great book from Ron Clark. Thank you for reminding me to be a runner not a rider. I cried at the end.
Dot
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up at Barnes & Noble recently on one of their clearance tables. I’m soaking up lots of info related to making some changes/improvements in my own life… both personally and professionally….these days, so seeing the words “accelerating success in work and life” caught my eye right away. Written by nationally acclaimed educator Ron Clark, “Move Your Bus” is a fantastic book that focuses on the various people that make up an organization and how their contributions can either ...more
Nurzhan Abildakhanov
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like the metaphor of comparing a school or an organisation to a BUS and the classification of workers. But almost 80% of the advice in the book reminded me of the words my previous school principal used to say. Actually, I think he has a lot in common with Mr.Clark. So basically I can't tell there were much for me to learn. But knowing and practicing are two worlds apart. Some things we keep doing the way we do. So Mr.Clark reminded me of the important things and in a way inspired me to focus ...more
Tara Brabazon
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I did want to like this book. Two stars are the result. It is an odd book, based on a metaphor of the bus. On the bus are Runners, Joggers, Walkers, Riders and Drivers. This seemingly is a metaphor for life and work. Yet the challenge and I would argue the flaw of the book is that speed is always - it is argued - a positive force in the workplace. In an accelerated culture, working quickly is not always working efficiently. Indeed, completing work that does not need to be completed - empty and v ...more
Anne
Jan 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I’d never heard of Ron Clark before my colleagues & I were asked to read this book by our Supervisor. I am not easily impressed by “celebrity teachers”, so I did not buy into his poor bus analogy. Good writers don’t need to explicitly explain their “parables” by bold face typing the beginning letter of each of the character’s names. Please don’t write to educators as if they aren’t able to figure out that Rufus is the “runner.” If I had a penny for every time this book made me roll my eyes, ...more
Matt
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book will easily be on my top 10 list of all-time. It is such a simple, yet strategic, approach to building and maintaining a team. Whether you are part of a team or the leader of one (or both depending on your many roles), this is something that everyone should read.

It's a simple, quick read full of information!
Abby Wilkerson
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
The first 40 pages are basically a love letter to people who are exactly like the author. The remaining chapters have more useful, applicable information, but at the end of the day, I feel like Ron Clark doesn't value what people who aren't exactly like him bring to the table.
Nurlan Imangaliyev
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I nice read for a school administrator.
Muhammad Mubarak
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Rick Presley
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I generally find business "self help" books to be a tired genre, especially those that use metaphors and parables to make their point. This is a pleasant exception. Ron Clark has earned the right to be heard and his hard-earned wisdom is worth perusing.

He uses the metaphor of a school bus - no surprise for a school administrator - to describe how to move an organization. The people responsible for moving the bus are described as Runners, Joggers, Walkers, Riders, and Drivers. While I find the d
Andrea
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book that one of my ASMs at work had me read. I hope that she has the other store managers read it because it's definitely a book for management and I found it to be a very helpful book whether in the classroom, in the workroom or even on a sports team. The idea is that places / events are made up of different kinds of people: Runners, joggers, walkers, and riders. Runners go above and beyond, Riders are simply there to collect the check, and the rest fall in the middle. Th ...more
Amanda Kaitlin
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this book. My principal asked the teaching staff at my school to read this, and I'll admit it prompted a lot of self-reflection, but overall it gave me the heebie jeebies. Some of the advice is basic but solid (avoid negativity, dress sharply, etc.), but Clark conveys this idea that if you aren't willing to make your job your life and make sacrifice after sacrifice, you shouldn't be there. I struggle with this, because as teachers we are already making so many sacrifi ...more
Fernando Moreira
Fácil e rápido de ler. Linguagem simples e muito acessível.
Quando um livro começa pelo próprio autor a dizer: "A última coisa que eu queria era escrever este livro." o resultado pode ser o próprio reflexo da sua criação. Mix feelings relativamente ao conteúdo + O autor utiliza a metáfora de um autocarro (ao estilo dos Flinstones) para criar uma analogia com negócios e equipas -> acaba por criar uma generalização que não faz assim tanto sentido na minha opinião + A comparação da escola a negóc
Liz
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick and easy read. It’s an interesting allegory for working as a team, though I think it can be challenging for the reader to apply to their own situation in some instances. While the examples are clear in relation to the bus, they’re awfully fuzzy when you extrapolate those to the workplace. For example, I can quickly and easily identify who the runners and joggers are, but the difference between the walkers and riders is somewhat unclear. At times, the book seems soporific - more like fortun ...more
Charles
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Loved the Essential 55, keep it on my shelf like a reference book. Hoped "Bus" would be similar, maybe even convince me to jump careers and move over into teaching. Instead, I feel about as demotivated as the weekly "team meeting" where demands are pushed downward and no feedback tolerated. Mr. Clark seems to have gone from Teacher of the Year to just another do-more-with-less corporate boss. Heading back to Rafe Esquith, maybe he's kept the faith and can provide motivation rather than managemen ...more
Amy
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! It really opened my eyes in the sense that it made me think about what I am doing to contribute to the success of my school, or "moving our bus". It also gave insight as to what we can do to be better and be more successful. It was an easy read and I loved how his sense of humor came through. I found myself identifying the ranks of different colleagues in the sense of them being runners, joggers, walkers, or riders. I highly recommend this to any educator.
Kate
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I blew through this book in a day. I loved this analogy of different types of people we work with, and also gives you an opportunity to self reflect on how you fit into the mix! I loved the realness in his ideals and vulnerability in how he has grown through the years, as well. The epilogue had me in tears, which was a slight blind side given the direction of the majority of the book. It definitely pumped me up for a new school year and would love if our staff did this as a book study.
Amy Nicole
I felt the same way about Move Your Bus as I did about The Essential 55: thought provoking concepts that I can glean some ideas from. Clark suggests dressing professionally all the time, greeting people by name every day, grouping yourself with like-minded people, and showing up early to meetings. Nothing mind blowing, but it’s an affirmation to the “runners” and a nice encouragement to management.
Yennelly Baez
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
His theory of the occupants on a bus as members of an organization is really good and can be applied to any type of business or project. The book is very straight forward and written in simple language. However, he talks too much about his own organization, to a point that it feels like he is promoting it more than he is using it as an example.

Overall good book for any member of an organization to read, not just leaders.
Abigail
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dislike
Easy read, hopefully not too easy to swallow. This book is simplistic, annoying, and unbalanced. It disguises some of the worst things about American culture as desirable and any leader who reads this and thinks it's great advice it not a good leader. The author sounds like a nightmare to be related to, and condescending to work for.
Mary Scott
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
While the content of the book is spot on, I felt as though I got drained hearing about the same type of people throughout. Towards the end of the book, Clark tells about his personal experiences, which I think could have kept me more engaged throughout the book. Useful advice, just not exciting to read.
Jessica Clark
Dec 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
  • It's Not about the Coffee: Leadership Principles from a Life at Starbucks
  • Summer Reading: Closing the Rich/Poor Reading Achievement Gap
  • The Reading Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Readers
  • Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction
  • The Best Place to Work: The Art and Science of Creating an Extraordinary Workplace
  • The Age of the Image: Redefining Literacy in the a World of Screens
  • Say It with Charts: The Executive's Guide to Visual Communication
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
  • Do Zombies Dream of Undead Sheep?: A Neuroscientific View of the Zombie Brain
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students by Their Brains
  • Smart Change: Five Tools to Create New and Sustainable Habits in Yourself and Others
  • Busy: How to Thrive in a World of Too Much
  • Date-onomics: How Dating Became a Lopsided Numbers Game
  • Happy This Year!: The Secret to Getting Happy Once and for All
  • Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Need of All Learners
  • Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me the Teacher I Never Had
  • Unshakeable: 20 Ways to Enjoy Teaching Every Day...No Matter What
  • Conscious Business: How to Build Value Through Values
Ron Clark has been called "America's Educator." In 2000, he was named Disney's American Teacher of the Year. He is a New York Times bestselling author whose book, The Essential 55, has sold over 1 million copies and has been published in 25 different countries.

--from the author's website

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more
“People who walk slow ain't got nowhere to go.” 0 likes