Start by marking “Move Your Bus: An Extraordinary New Approach to Accelerating Success in Work and Life” as Want to Read:

New York Times bestselling author and award-winning educator Ron Clark applies his successful leadership principles to the business world in this effective and accessible guidebook, perfect for any manager looking to inspire and motivate his or her team. Includes a foreword by bestselling author and FranklinCovey executive Sean Covey.

Teamwork is crucial to the success of a
Published June 30th 2015 by Touchstone (first published June 16th 2015)

Start your review of Move Your Bus: An Extraordinary New Approach to Accelerating Success in Work and Life
Eliza
Aug 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
I bought this book for ideas and strategies on efficient leadership but found it harped on the makeup of inherently effective and ineffective employees. Preachy. Singleminded. Sexist, even.
Shawn  Stone
May 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book comes off more as a rant piece against former colleagues than the thinly veiled educational management book it purports to be.

Without stating the obvious, Clarke unintentionally takes the reader for a tour ride on the darker side of intra-organizational drama-queen politics. Clarke doesn’t show how to move the bus as much as how to throw people under it. He attacks any number of former colleagues and staff members for the most minor of infractions acting as judge, jury and executioner.
shanghao
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Comes across as a one-type fits all solution, and all the while it was waxing lyrical about the author's own institution. Which wasn't a problem to me, except that I don't see how using a parable to simplify, identify and interact with employee types equals extraordinary management wisdom.

Thankfully the prose is readable/skim-friendly enough, so at least there are no lingering bad feelings.
Anne
Jan 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I’d never heard of Ron Clark before my colleagues & I were asked to read this book by our Supervisor. I am not easily impressed by “celebrity teachers”, so I did not buy into his poor bus analogy. Good writers don’t need to explicitly explain their “parables” by bold face typing the beginning letter of each of the character’s names. Please don’t write to educators as if they aren’t able to figure out that Rufus is the “runner.” If I had a penny for every time this book made me roll my eyes, I co ...more
David Doty
Nov 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Full of self promotion and arrogant in tone, this book is nothing but a weak analogy (move your bus like the Flintstones) that serves as a bragging platform for the author. If you're in the market for a good business book, look elsewhere.
Amy
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Mixed emotions about this book. I completely agree with his strategies on how administrators should support the "runners" in the organization; that chapter should be required reading for admins.

However, I disagree with the implications that a person's career should be his/ her life. For example, he writes, "Even if you can stay only thirty minutes past quitting time, do it" (47). "Only" thirty minutes? If you have an employee who is willing to give you 30 minutes of unpaid time (volunteering) w
Michelle
Feb 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Have you ever read a book and thought wow and then thought WTF.
Is this book supposed to help people or call people out.

I was open minded when I started and then I began to see what the author was doing. Calling out former colleagues.

I wish people would build one another up instead of trying to label them and not help people achieve the best that they can be.

As a 90% runner and 10% jogger, I’m flabbergasted that drivers would recommend this book as a staff read.
Amanda Kaitlin
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this book. My principal asked the teaching staff at my school to read this, and I'll admit it prompted a lot of self-reflection, but overall it gave me the heebie jeebies. Some of the advice is basic but solid (avoid negativity, dress sharply, etc.), but Clark conveys this idea that if you aren't willing to make your job your life and make sacrifice after sacrifice, you shouldn't be there. I struggle with this, because as teachers we are already making so many sacrifi ...more
Beth Lind
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great thoughts on encouraging the best employees and not wasting time on the dead weights.
Elizabeth
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Using the symbolism of a bus, Ron paints a simple yet wise picture of how the organization that you work within is a bus.
There are different types of workers making the bus move forward.
This book gives real life examples of keeping folks motivated,
rewarding folks,
providing a welcoming, clean, high standard work environment,
sharing expectations,
playing,
laughing,
contemplating,
and learning together.
This book was a breath o
Roberta Phillips
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting but superficial. I think it is important to realize that not every organization wants more runners. for organizations that want all of the control to be from the top down, runners are threatening. They either leave or become joggers.

I gleamed a few ideas and Ron's writing style is easy to follow.
Jacqueline
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow another great book from Ron Clark. Thank you for reminding me to be a runner not a rider. I cried at the end.
Jessica Lutz
May 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Lots of stereotypes, generalizations, and closed minded thinking. Only read this because I had to for work. Don't bother with it
Dot
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up at Barnes & Noble recently on one of their clearance tables. I’m soaking up lots of info related to making some changes/improvements in my own life… both personally and professionally….these days, so seeing the words “accelerating success in work and life” caught my eye right away. Written by nationally acclaimed educator Ron Clark, “Move Your Bus” is a fantastic book that focuses on the various people that make up an organization and how their contributions can either keep ...more
Nurzhan Abildakhanov
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like the metaphor of comparing a school or an organisation to a BUS and the classification of workers. But almost 80% of the advice in the book reminded me of the words my previous school principal used to say. Actually, I think he has a lot in common with Mr.Clark. So basically I can't tell there were much for me to learn. But knowing and practicing are two worlds apart. Some things we keep doing the way we do. So Mr.Clark reminded me of the important things and in a way inspired me to focus ...more
Tara Brabazon
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I did want to like this book. Two stars are the result. It is an odd book, based on a metaphor of the bus. On the bus are Runners, Joggers, Walkers, Riders and Drivers. This seemingly is a metaphor for life and work. Yet the challenge and I would argue the flaw of the book is that speed is always - it is argued - a positive force in the workplace. In an accelerated culture, working quickly is not always working efficiently. Indeed, completing work that does not need to be completed - empty and v ...more
Ricardo Garcia
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
You have to take care of your rockstars.
Logan
May 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: one-star
1 star

Thank god this book gets more passable as it goes along. The writing is easy and skimmable, but that's about the nicest thing I can say about this book. In the coming days, if this book seems to just get worse, I'll update my rating, but for now, a two is what it deserves.

This book is educator Ron Clark's memoir of his management style at the Ron Clark Academy. He advocates for a "laissez-faire" type of approach; push the runners, and the others will just catch (how is never explained, bu
Shawn Berry
Jun 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
The guidance in this book is a recipe for toxic school culture and teacher burnout. Ron Clark describes “runner” teachers as the only ones that are truly functional at school and dismissively acknowledges that it comes at the price of personal relationships. This shouldn’t be unexpected coming from a man who was hospitalized from over-working.
Any administrator who demands his or her teachers to be runners is going to end up with a lot of unhappy teachers once all their personal lives start falli
Charles
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Loved the Essential 55, keep it on my shelf like a reference book. Hoped "Bus" would be similar, maybe even convince me to jump careers and move over into teaching. Instead, I feel about as demotivated as the weekly "team meeting" where demands are pushed downward and no feedback tolerated. Mr. Clark seems to have gone from Teacher of the Year to just another do-more-with-less corporate boss. Heading back to Rafe Esquith, maybe he's kept the faith and can provide motivation rather than managemen ...more
Matt
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book will easily be on my top 10 list of all-time. It is such a simple, yet strategic, approach to building and maintaining a team. Whether you are part of a team or the leader of one (or both depending on your many roles), this is something that everyone should read.

It's a simple, quick read full of information!
Jessica Clark
Dec 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Carla
Mar 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: education
Wow, this is an incredibly bad book. Like it was written by a boss from the '50's "my way or the highway" The chapter called "Take the Hint" is absolutely disgusting. Basically, if your boss doesn't like your idea, shut up and remember your place. I cannot believe how many rave reviews this terrible little book gets.
Melody
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ron Clark is not a like-able person. His side stories about former employees shows his rude and demeaning side. According to him, teaching is not conducive to having a family. Teachers can’t constantly be going and going. He doesn’t take into account that everyone has different gifts and it doesn’t always have to be someone that is “running”.
Abby Wilkerson
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
The first 40 pages are basically a love letter to people who are exactly like the author. The remaining chapters have more useful, applicable information, but at the end of the day, I feel like Ron Clark doesn't value what people who aren't exactly like him bring to the table.
bartley schwegler
Grandpa tells us how we should dress for work, shares his opinion on how to lift pedagogy into the bright future of 1850.

edit: I had to buy this book for work, so I may have gone in overly critical.
Nurlan Imangaliyev
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I nice read for a school administrator.
sadiq
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread
It's a book that is as useful for employees as it is for employers. Made me ask myself some hard questions. excellent descriptions, practical suggestions and easy to read.
Justin
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
This was a re-read of one of my favorite books from one of my favorite educators/authors/people. Below is the review I wrote in 2015 and I find it still holds true today. Highly recommended for anyone in the business or education world, looking to up their game.

"Full disclosure, I am a giant Ron Clark fan. There are very few people in the world that I have followed to an almost religious level and Ron is certainly one of them. I have read all of his books, but Move Your Bus is my favorite.

Whil
Rick Presley
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I generally find business "self help" books to be a tired genre, especially those that use metaphors and parables to make their point. This is a pleasant exception. Ron Clark has earned the right to be heard and his hard-earned wisdom is worth perusing.

He uses the metaphor of a school bus - no surprise for a school administrator - to describe how to move an organization. The people responsible for moving the bus are described as Runners, Joggers, Walkers, Riders, and Drivers. While I find the d
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Talk to Me: Find the Right Words to Inspire, Encourage, and Get Things Done
  • The Wild Card: 7 Steps to an Educator's Creative Breakthrough
  • Crash Course: The Life Lessons My Students Taught Me
  • Reading in the Wild
  • The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child
  • Go See the Principal: True Tales from the School Trenches
  • Culturize: Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.
  • Kids Deserve It: Pushing Boundaries and Challenging Conventional Thinking
  • The Reading Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Readers
  • Relentless: Changing Lives by Disrupting the Educational Norm
  • The Writing Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Writers
  • The Leader in Me: How Schools and Parents Around the World Are Inspiring Greatness, One Child At a Time
  • Teach Like a Pirate: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator
  • Help for Billy
  • The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy
  • Understanding Texts & Readers: Responsive Comprehension Instruction with Leveled Texts
  • Nerdy Birdy (Nerdy Birdy, #1)
  • Elaine's Circle: A Teacher, a Student, a Classroom, and One Unforgettable Year
Ron Clark has been called "America's Educator." In 2000, he was named Disney's American Teacher of the Year. He is a New York Times bestselling author whose book, The Essential 55, has sold over 1 million copies and has been published in 25 different countries.

--from the author's website

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more

News & Interviews