Start by marking “Swear on This Life” as Want to Read:
Swear on This Life

Swear on This Life

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  12,697 Ratings  ·  1,876 Reviews
When a bestselling debut novel from mysterious author J.Colby becomes the literary event of the year, Emiline reads it reluctantly. As an adjunct writing instructor at UC San Diego with her own stalled literary career and a bumpy long-term relationship, Emiline isn’t thrilled to celebrate the accomplishments of a young and gifted writer.

Yet from the very first page, Emilin
Published August 9th 2016 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Swear on This Life, please sign up.

Colleen Hoover
May 24, 2016 Colleen Hoover rated it it was amazing
I received an early copy of this book mysteriously in the mail. I read it in one sitting. Okay, two. I have a small bladder.
When I was finished, I messaged the author to let her know how much I loved this book. Then I ripped out all the pages that had the number three in the page number. Page 3. Page 13. Page 23. Page 33 (my fave). Page 43. Page 53. Page 63. Page 73 and so on and so forth.
Once I had all the pages successfully torn out of the book, I proceeded to write on each of the pages in b
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
Jul 27, 2016 Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads rated it it was amazing
This is one of those reviews where you just don't know where to start. There's so much right with this book. Honestly, I'm hungover. It's possibly the worst book hangover I've ever suffered from. I woke up this morning, after dreaming of these characters, achy and tired, but also content and I'll admit, a touch sad. Sad, because I had this desperate need to read this book again for the first time. Very few novels have done that to me. And I have to say that I had a visceral, full body reaction t ...more
Christy
5 stars!

photo DCCC7D84-2581-45CA-8053-9E170A0C07A2_zps0z8ddba3.jpg

I’ve read all of Renee Carlino’s books, and Swear on This Life is by far the best one. This author always has a way with words, but she truly outdid herself with this story. I am not always a fan of second chance romances. There always seems to be something that doesn’t work for me, but this one was written perfectly. There is nothing I would change. I loved every word!

Emiline picks up a debut novel by J. Colby and her life is forever altered. This story takes us through Em’s childhoo
Aestas Book Blog
Jul 27, 2016 Aestas Book Blog rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
::: FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED :::

"His name is Jase Colbertson. He and I used to finish each other’s sentences.”

WOW!! What a stunning book! From the first few pages, I was captivated by the story and I could not put it down even for a minute. It was a unique, intense, all-consuming second chance romance story, and easily one of the very best reading experiences I've had all year. I absolutely loved every word and highly recommend it to everyone!

When I look for a new book to read, what I hope f
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Swear on This Life already has a lot of hype and a lot of 5 star reviews, so I know I'll be in the minority with this one. That's okay. This book isn't a bad book by any means, and I read it all in one sitting, so it certainly has that readable quality to it. However, I don't think it delivered on the emotional intensity that I was expecting.

When I read the blurb of this story, I was immediately intrigued. I mean, what a cool concept, honestly. The long lost love of your life publishes the stor
Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦
4.5 Stars!!

description

'Swear on This Life' was consuming, though-provoking and such an emotional read from the very beginning until the end. I loved the title, the premise of this book and even the simple, yet meaningful cover. This story was equally heart-breaking and heart-warming so be prepared to be emotional exhausted at times, to smile and most of all, to feel. I love the concept of a story within another story and Mrs. Carlino did a fantastic job with both stories, both of them being so well written
Jennifer Kyle
Aug 09, 2016 Jennifer Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 “Keep Reading” STARS

description

Renee Carlino delivers an EPIC love story and one of my favorite reads of the year.

”If you can surrender to the idea that there might be a plan, instead of reducing every magical moment to a coincidence, then love will find you. He found me.”

description

This story hooked me with the heartbreak and pain of two wonderful character’s traumatic childhood and unbreakable bond.

”I loved you before I even knew what it meant.”

description

The story is layered and brilliantly told as the heroine, Emili
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Jan 06, 2016 Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee) rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance

Find me on Instagram & Twitter!
❝It's like reading a good book. The kind where you don't want to skip pages to see what happens at the end. Each moment is a story in itself.❞

Well... sadly, this didn't work out the way I had hoped. Renée Carlino stole my heart with Before We Were Strangers but Swear On This Life felt really weak in comparison. The premise was kept me interested enough but the way that it was carried out was just wrong and done very poorly in my opinion. :(

Long story short,
Rachel Reads Ravenously
NOW LIVE!!! http://amzn.to/2b6oxSV

5 stars!!!

"It's easy to let yourself become the burden of your own life, especially when you were given the label of being a burden before you could even reject it."

Swear on This Life is about Emiline, a young writer struggling to find her voice in her work. When a friend hands her a bestselling novel from a new author, Emiline is shocked to discover this author has written her life story, from her perspective. The only person who could have known all
Beverly
Aug 07, 2016 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-favorites
OMG, I swear on my life this book. It’s beautiful. It’s amazing. It’s EPIC LOVE at it’s best. I swear, for reals, this book! I love an epic love. It defies time and circumstances and always prevails. This is the kind of book that makes you feel everything and has you falling more in love with the story with every page.

I started this book with high expectations, my bestie loved it and went on and on about how uniquely the story is told, so I was very curious by what she meant. Furthermore, she s
lena
Jul 13, 2016 lena rated it liked it
2.5 stars!

Me before the book:

Me after the book:
description/

Once I finished this book, I was very disappointed. This could've been so much better! There was so much hype surrounding this book and I remember reading the blurb and I was fascinated. I gave it 2.5 stars though because I loved the idea of it and the writing wasn't bad, but this book just missed out on so many major points!

description/

The first problem I had with this book was Trevor. To be honest, he annoyed the shit out of me and I feel like that one inci
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Swear on This Life
Series: Standalone
Author: Renée Carlino
Release date: August 9, 2016
Cliffhanger: No
HEA(view spoiler)

This is one of those stories that will leave its mark on many readers. I thoroughly consumed this book, not in several mini-meals, but in one huge satisfying bite. Once I started, I was pulled in so completely that I didn't want to set it down. I couldn't set it down. Renée Carlino has a way with words that really reaches down deep and grabs you.

It's
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
LIVE AMAZON http://amzn.to/2aI7B3s

5 BEAUTIFUL STARS

"There once was a boy and a girl..."

Words cannot describe how I feel about this story! Swear on This Life simply blew me away.The story is unique, captivating, emotional and sweet. I was completely drawn into the story as well as the characters stories and I couldn't stop reading wanting to know more and more. I have never read anything like this, I find the story line brilliant and original. Renee takes the reader on a journey about second ch
Bibi
Aug 09, 2016 Bibi rated it it was ok
O boy, I have a feeling that I'll be eviscerated for this review, if you do have to, please be gentle.

**Spoiler**

Swear on This Life had so much promise but the execution was, at best, lackluster.

The premise is a second-chance love between Jax and Em who, during their teenage years, were best friends turned lovers. A tragic situation caused Em to move into Foster care and this signified the beginning of a separation that would span 12 years.

At 27, Em is an adjunct professor/uninspired writer who
Michelle
Apr 14, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I wanted to hold off on reviewing this since the release is still months away, but I honestly need to get all these feelings out or I am going to combust. So please forgive me. But I HAAAAAVVVVEEEE to.

Swear on This Life is an EPIC love story told in the most unique way. Emiline is struggling with her writing and the last thing she wants to do is read the bestselling debut novel by J. Colby that everyone is talking about, but once she reads the first page everything clicks. She is the main charac
Michelle
ARC provided by author/publisher in exchange for an honest review

photo fa4199ff23e37f9b3f06bcbd577360_zps0qigizko.gif

Absolutely brilliant!!!! Renee Carlino continues to amaze me with each new release and in her latest, Swear On This Life, Carlino has truly captured reader’s heart with her stunning prose. This book has to be hands down my favorite Renee Carlino book and my top summer reads of 2016. If there was a book that truly deserved to be in the spotlight, this book right here has to be it. Her words, characters, and stories are the epitome
Maggie
❝As I walked to my car, I said good-bye to Emi, the girl who begrudgingly went to frat parties and football games; the girl who pretended like everything was always okay while unenthusiastically teaching Intro to Writing classes; the girl with no past; the girl who wasn't real and didn't exist.❞

Trigger Warning: Abuse

Swear on This Life was not my favorite New Adult novel, and even though I was expecting to like it, I had lots of problems with it. The only reason why I bought it was because my f
Andie
Less than 24 hours later and I have finished Swear on This Life . My butt has been planted to my couch every spare moment I had today because putting this book down for anything was unacceptable. Before We Were Strangers was one of my favorite books of 2015 and I was hesitant to believe that Renee would be able to deliver another all consuming, soul crushing, second-chance romance. Shame on me for doubting!

I loved the way Renee wove the present and past together so brilliantly, not just with
Norah Una Sumner
Unfortunately, this was extremely disappointing for me.

description

I hoped that the present storyline would be handled more maturely and with more feels than the past storyline, but it wasn't. Those last 20% of the book just left a bad taste in my mouth. Neither did I connected with the characters as adults, nor did I felt the tension of that ending. From the moment they meet again on the book signing, everything went downhill. I loved the premise of this book, I was so sure I was going to love it but ever
Wendy'sThoughts
Mar 06, 2016 Wendy'sThoughts rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Renee Carlino Fans, Romance
4 Accepting, Forgiving, Loving Stars
* * * *
Renee Carlino and I have had had a reading relationship since her first book, Sweet Thing. I was new to this community, not reviewing yet and took it upon myself to write a email sharing my love of the book. She was a class act, responding with a sincere recounting of how there had been positive and negative reactions and she appreciated the words I sent. I mention this because in our correspondence we both agreed that a book cannot be loved by all and
Wil Loves Books!
Jul 28, 2016 Wil Loves Books! rated it really liked it
Let me first say that this was a great read. I had huge expectations for this book based on the premise of the book. This is my first Renee Carlino book so I have no comparison when it comes to her books. I have to say I really, really liked it for the most part. The writing is really beautiful and I was engaged the entire time. However, I was not blown away, even though I loved many things, at times I was frustrated and at times even indifferent to what was going on.

53148-swear-life-graphics-4b

Swear on This Life is defini
Celine (celinereads)
Jan 20, 2017 Celine (celinereads) rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS SO DARN GOOD. i finished it within four hours and i couldn't put it down!! I need to collect my thoughts before giving it a more in depth review but for now, CAN I JUST GIVE THIS BOOK 10 out of 5 stars??
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

description

Emiline dreams of being a famous author. But she's stuck teaching writing to other aspiring writers at a San Diego college. Her roommate and best friend Cara tells her to write about what's in her heart and in her past. Things that mean something to her. And her boyfriend of seven years, Trevor, tells her the same. But she's just not ready to face her sad past yet.
But that past suddenly appears in her life in the most unexpected way.

Her room mate gives her an amazing book, to inspire her, or to
NMmomof4
2 Stars

Overall Opinion: This is a really tough one for me to rate. I really liked this one for the first 85ish% of the book, but sadly the writing style and the events that took place in the last part ruined it completely for me. I was left with a pissed off feeling about the end. I felt like it just had so much freaking potential!!! So frustrating.

Here are some BIG SPOILERS to break down my biggest issue...
(view spoiler)
Jen
Jan 07, 2017 Jen rated it it was amazing
Well this was new for me all around. First, this was my first Renée Carlino book. Yes, I know I'm so far behind but I can't wait to read more of her books after this one. Second, the concept of reading a book inside another book...LOVED IT! I can honestly say this was a new, refreshing yet unique read for me.

Emiline and her roommate from college, Cara are both teaching writing courses at UCSD. While Cara has been published twice already, Em is struggling to write something that she wants to hav
Donish Henry-Cole (BookItWithDon)
3.75 stars!

“There once was a boy and a girl . . .”

When I heard about this book, I was:
When I saw who it was by, I:
When I ordered it, I (ordered it months before It was out):
When I received it, I (not literally but I'm surprised I didn't):
When I started it, I:
When I finished it, I was like:

Renee Carlino is one of my favorite authors and killed me and brought me back to life with the masterpiece, Before We Were Strangers (IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT, YOU NEED IT RIGHT FREAKING NOW!!!). So,
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
4.5 ★'s

The blurb for this book was very intriguing. I was drawn to the fact that the heroine's childhood boyfriend wrote a book about them...and from her POV. The story isn't pretty and isn't something the heroine, Emiline (Em), tells anyone so to say she is shocked is putting things mildly!

The story is told in the present and in the past through the book, All the Roads Between. And the book is quite accurate to Em's horror...just the names have slightly been altered, that is until Em comes to
Jenny
Sep 14, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
"Our story is great. Maybe not all the other shit, but the story of us is perfect, Em."

I'm sitting here begging for more to this story. Good lord, please give me more!!! I am in complete love with Jase & Emi!!

This book stole my breath, it was phenomenal. Totally epic. It was so much more. The way this author tells this story is brilliant, it is so unlike other books, it's told completely different. It captures you and puts a tight hold on you, not letting you go.
I was literally turning the
Ninoska Goris
Nov 23, 2016 Ninoska Goris rated it really liked it
Emiline es una escritora de veintisiete años que no encuentra la inspiración para escribir, que está en una relación para nada apasionada con su novio de hace siete años.

Su amiga le recomienda leer la novela de la que todos están hablando y desde el principio ella encuentra su propia historia trágica y de su mejor amigo y primer amor Jase.
Aditi
“You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them.”

----John Green

Renée Carlino, USA TODAY bestselling author, pens her latest tear-jerking new adult book, Swear on This Life which is a love story between two people who met when they were teenagers and feel for each other, but later they moved away from each other's lives thereby breaking hearts, but a decade later, they meet again through their first love story in the form of a bestselling story, but a
Mystery behind the reason Brian drowned? 2 43 Dec 25, 2016 10:22AM
Turning Pages At ...: Swear on This Life, by Renee Carlino 18 28 Sep 12, 2016 04:19AM
  • First Love Never Dies
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Bright Midnight
  • Bet You Can't (Unlikely, #1)
  • Roman Crazy
  • Rookie Move (Brooklyn Bruisers, #1)
  • Punk 57
  • Infini (Aerial Ethereal, #2)
  • Furious Rush (Furious Rush, #1)
  • Out of Bounds (The Summer Games, #2)
  • Change of Heart (Fostering Love, #2)
  • The One Real Thing (Hart's Boardwalk, #1)
  • Unsuitable
  • The Cad and the Co-Ed (Rugby, #3)
  • Managed (VIP, #2)
  • After Tomorrow (One Day Soon, #1.5)
  • Across the Ring
  • Boss (The Bishop Brothers, #1)
Renée Carlino is a screenwriter and bestselling author of romantic women's novels and new adult fiction. She lives in Southern California with her husband and two sons. When she’s not at the beach with her boys or working on her next project, she likes to spend her time reading, going to concerts, and eating dark chocolate.
More about Renee Carlino...

“Isn’t it weird that we had nothing at the time … but somehow it felt like we had everything.” 29 likes
“It’s like reading a good book. The kind where you don’t want to skip pages to see what happens at the end. Each moment is a story in itself.” 27 likes