Start by marking “Stolen Legacy” as Want to Read:
Stolen Legacy

Stolen Legacy

For centuries the world has been misled about the original source of the Arts and Sciences; for centuries Socrates, Plato and Aristotle have been falsely idolized as models of intellectual greatness; and for centuries the African continent has been called the Dark Continent, because Europe coveted the honor of transmitting to the world, the Arts and Sciences. It is indeed ...more
Published June 10th 2015 by A&D Books (first published June 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Stolen Legacy, please sign up.
Shara I think the point is that we have always been taught that civilization, refined culture, mathematics, astrology and philosophy originated in Greece…moreI think the point is that we have always been taught that civilization, refined culture, mathematics, astrology and philosophy originated in Greece when many of their ideas are based on African concepts. This book is flawed and inaccurate in many places but I think the main point still stands.
This shouldn't take away from the accomplishments of the Greeks but credit should be given where credit is due. If you research Kemet/Kush you will clearly see that many Greek concepts originated on the continent of Africa. I don't think the Egyptians were a homogenous society any way. Are you trying to say that the descendants of Egyptians were not Africans?

Another note: Kemet/Egypt is not the only great African civilization that pre-dates Greek society. (less)

Start your review of Stolen Legacy
Cope Dealer
George G.M. James opened my eyes to the reality of altered history. Murderers of yore tell histories tales because their victims aren't alive to dispute. Of course there were very harsh criticisms of this work fueled by the need to protect "proven discoveries," hatred, and downright arrogance. I've done my own studies and found authenticity in this title. -but hey, you don't have to take my word for it!
Gary
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the most amazing books in existence & is vital to psyche of the young black male. It honors the contributions of a civilization that has brought more to the modern world than many realize.
Omowale Jabali
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uo7-work-study
This book is a classic text which I found very useful as a companion in researching the spiritual systems of ancient Nubia and Khemit ie Egypt. It also reveals the concepts which gave rise to Freemasonry and subsequent spiritual systems with his explanation of the nine, inseparable parts of the soul.
Adrienne
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, own, culture
Was shocking to read at first and wondered how much was true. A much more detailed account of how Egypt borrowed from Ethiopia can be found in The Destruction of Black Civilization.
Yonnibardavi
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most striking question the author leaves in my mind "why have we not read about the great Greek thinkers in the Eastern lands? The Greeks have written about the great civilizations of the east, but the Great civilizations did not write about the Greeks and all their knowledge and learning.

Wonder why.

Vivian
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever questioned the Greeks involvement in our civilization this book will not only address those questions but show proof how the Greeks stole African legacy and claimed it as their own.
Porsha Dixon
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I initially read this book, I intended to write my senior thesis on African/Greek philosophers and stolen history; However, after finding interest in a different subject (Urban Planning in Metro LA for those interested), I decided to put my work on political philosophy on a back burner. During my undergraduate years my major was Political Science and I wanted to focus on the philosophical aspect for my political science senior thesis. I briefly discussed prominent philosophers such as ...more
Ahmadou Balde
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a reminder of the long term consequences of the distortion of history. The educational system indoctrinate us many assumptions and beliefs that the author of the book contradict. It is well written and I will recommend it to anyone wishing to have a better and more complete version of history.
Brandon White
Important information was given in this book, but it was often redundant, and the writing style made it hard to follow. Considering the books mission and revelations, I'd still recommend it to others.
Maan Kawas
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, thought-provoking, and informative book! The book provides information about the Ancient Egyptian mystery schools as well as Ancient Greek philosophy, arguing that the Greek philosophy took a lot from those mystery schools.
Andrew
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Another book which I read some twenty years ago. Time for a re-read and review.
Shila
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can find many truths in the pages of this book. In life, we need the truth. No matter how much we want to hide, we need it.
Khalifah
Nov 10, 2008 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Khalifah by: Prof. John Henrike Clarke
George G. M. James is one of the most important scholars Black America has yet produced. His is, perhaps, the most quoted book by more esteemed Black historians - like Prof. John H. Clarke - than any other book.
Samy Maher
seems convincing. i respect ancient Egyptians more
Alisa
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! Very insightful! Speaks the truth!
Fatir
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book mainly is about history. Its about the rise of philosophy. Its about many great people like Aristotle and Galileo. Also about Egypt lost treasures.
Jimmy
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stolen Legacy is a very interesting and provocative book that challenges, explains and focuses on how and why Greeks stole the teachings of ancient Kemet (Egypt).
Sweetlove Greene
Finally finished and I must say this is one of maybe four (4) books I've ever read that made me very emotional while reading.
Chimezie Ogbuji
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read for anyone who is truly interested in the anthropological origins of institutionalized racism and in the superiority / inferiority complexes underlying the fact that we take for granted that it is appropriate and fairly harmless in labeling African nations as part of the 'developing' world. As the author states in his final chapter, this book was meant to be part of standard higher education curricula. As such, the author's approach is very rigid and scholarly, which is ...more
Mario Anderson
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent source of information regarding Greek plagiarism of the " Egyptian Mystery System", and is a great starting point for debunking Ancient Greece's claim on " Greek Philosophy ". George James makes a compelling argument against the widely accepted fallacy, that "Greek philosophy" is original content, which has been taught and adopted as fact throughout various educational institutions worldwide. Using various sources, and even a detailed historical look at the chaotic and ...more
J.P.
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent read, but very short. It tackles how various religious beliefs, discoveries & ways of life were stolen from Africans & attributed to Europeans. Controversial for sure but given how white supremacy functions, it is unlikely significant time is dedicated to getting all the facts straight by anyone other than black authors & the average person doesn't have access to primary sources. Most of it makes sense & appeared to be backed up by historical facts that are intentionally ...more
John
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
World conditions have been influenced to our modern times; giving false praise to the Greeks: a custom which appears to be an educational policy conducted by educational institutions, these institutions have also organized what are known as Greek lettered fraternities & sororities, as symbols of the superiority of Greek intellect & culture. Black people's culture has been caricatured in literature & exhibitions, in such specimens as provoke disrespect & laughter. Never let us ...more
Joe
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It all started in African. Kemet (egypt)
Everything.

The Greeks studied, burrowed, and invaded with Alexander the Great, turned the sacred temples and schools into "libraries" reworte everything, put their names on it and sold it.

pythagorous
socrates
plato
the romans and moses

all thievery.

all explained in the book
Kia
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book completely blew my mind. Unfortunately, I sound like a conspiracy theorist when I try to discuss its contents with people who aren’t familiar with the author’s thesis. It would be wonderful if someone could write an updated edition with new facts that surely have emerged since the early 20th cent.
Rafael Suleiman
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true classic of Black scholarship.
MÉYO
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, africa, black
WOW! A must read and a real eye opener!
Nathan Smith
The title says it all!
Katherine
Stolen Legacy is a captivating history! This paper reminded me how little I have been taught about African history and inspired me to pursue more. I wish everyone learned the African roots of civilization and regarded people of African descent with the respect they (we) deserve.

I would only hesitate to recommend this because he assumes a lot of background knowledge in philosophy and structures the arguments/chapters illogically at least in this edition (claiming to have proved points he has not
Divine
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Professor James is The light of truth showing and proving how the ancient Africans of the Nile Valley, over a period of at least 3 thousand years discovered the sciences and disciplines of education, not the Greeks. There is no way the Greeks could have amassed all that knowledge in only a few years. Professor James provided extensive research and demonstrated his truth.
Oliver Harper
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This revelation was experienced with pride and provided a context for understanding what racial survival constitutes within western societal foundations. The creation of literature and how it can be uses as a weapon of colonization while denying the truth and establishing fiction. When lies are well stated the truth then becomes unbelievable.
Books as a tool of misinformation 1 8 Jul 22, 2017 06:55AM

• The Mis-Education of the Negro
  • Destruction of Black Civilization: Great Issues of a Race From 4500 B.C. To 2000 A.D.
  • The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality
  • They Came Before Columbus: The African Presence in Ancient America
  • The Isis Papers: The Keys to the Colors
  • Soul on Ice
  • Christopher Columbus and the Afrikan Holocaust: Slavery and the Rise of European Capitalism
  • Black Genesis: The Prehistoric Origins of Ancient Egypt
  • Before the Mayflower: A History of Black America
  • W.E.B. Du Bois: Biography of a Race, 1868-1919
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
  • Nigger
  • The Souls of Black Folk
  • Ethiopia And The Origin Of Civilization (B.C.P. Pamphlet)
  • The Spook Who Sat by the Door
  • Malcolm X Speaks: Selected Speeches and Statements
  • From Babylon to Timbuktu: A History of the Ancient Black Races Including the Black Hebrews
  • The Wretched of the Earth
James was born in Georgetown, Guyana, South America. His parents were Reverend Linch B. and Margaret E. James. George studied at Durham University in Britain and after a period at the University of London he gained his doctorate at Columbia University in New York. He then qualified to teach mathematics, Latin, and Greek. Later he was Professor of Logic and Greek at Livingstone College in ...more
“The term Greek philosophy, to begin with is a misnomer, for there is no such philosophy in existence. The ancient Egyptians had developed a very complex religious system, called the Mysteries, which was also the first system of salvation.   As such, it regarded the human body as a prison house of the soul, which could be liberated from its bodily impediments, through the disciplines of the Arts and Sciences, and advanced from the level of a mortal to that of a God.” 3 likes
“The term Greek philosophy, to begin with is a misnomer, for there is no such philosophy in existence. The ancient Egyptians had developed a very complex religious” 2 likes