Start by marking “Third Eye” as Want to Read:
Third Eye

Third Eye

Who knew that a summer thunderstorm and his lost little boy would conspire to change single dad Cayce D’Amico’s life in an instant? With Luke missing, Cayce ventures into the woods near their house to find his son, only to have lightning strike a tree near him, sending a branch down on his head. When he awakens the next day in the hospital, he discovers he has been blessed ...more
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 264 pages
Published November 11th 2014 by DSP Publications (first published January 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Third Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Third Eye

John Inman
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is really a terrific thriller. Beautifully and concisely written. The characters are well drawn. The plot a page turner. This was the first time in a long while that I was riveted to a book from the first page all the way through to the last. I love books like this with multiple viewpoints, especially when they take you into the minds of the antagonists as well as the protagonists. And the ending was perfect. Just really perfect. I'm so glad I picked this one up. Rick R. Reed is a wonderful ...more
Sandra
First off, trigger warning: This book depicts some on-page acts of violence and rape.

Secondly, this was unlike anything else I've read from this author, whom so far I knew as someone who wrote sweet M/M romances.

There's a wee bit of a romance inside, but it's not crucial nor does it take center stage.

What this book is however is terrifying.

From the first scene, in which we witness the abduction of a young girl, just barely a teenager, to the epilogue, this book takes the reader on a terrifying
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

A riveting, nail-biting, thought-provoking, frightening thriller, this story is much more than an M/M romance—it’s a brilliant tale worthy of recognition on the NY Times Bestsellers List.

Cayce D’Amico is just a regular guy raising his seven-year-old son on his own, holding down a job as a waiter at the local diner in the economically-repressed town of Fawcettville, Pennsylvania. He’s yo
Cindi

Full review can be found at -

photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png

If you follow my reviews anywhere you know I'm a huge fan of this author. His horror and thrillers drew me in way back when and I've read so many of his books (horror and romance) that I lost count. Third Eye is classic Rick R. Reed.

Cayce D'Amico is hit by a fallen branch during a lightning storm and his world turns upside down. What starts with him looking for his lost son during a storm quickly turns into Cayce having visions of two kidnapped girls. The visions a
Portia
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that draws you in from the first paragraph and never lets you go. With the skill of a master storyteller, Rick Reed draws the reader into a dark place. A place, that while grotesque begs to be explored.

The reader is introduced to Cayce doing the mundane task of making dinner. But, the cold rain that begins to fall, just as he misses his son, foreshadowed bad things were just a Kindle click or two away. It reminded me of some early Mary Higgins Clark.

The character of C
Sara
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read a few of Mr. Reed's m/m romances before but this is the first mystery/suspense novel by him that I have tried. I wasn't disappointed, in fact I think I like this sort of story by him better than I liked the romances - or it may just be that I was in need of something other than pure romance.

Well, this is as far from romance you can get - even though it has a (very) minor romantic side-plot to it. This is a gruesome story of a sick mind and murders in plurals. Reading it gave me a few
Susan65
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Blogger Girls

I like that more authors in the MM romance genre are expanding into fiction with romance as the secondary storyline. Third Eye definitely falls into the category of latent romance and, in my opinion, brings the harshness of this dark drama to life. Yes, there is a happy ending, but the romance between Cayce and Dave is more assumed, as opposed to being played out on the page.

Cayce is a young, single, gay dad struggling to do right by his seven year old son, Luke, and raise him t
Gina
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This started out strong, but then at about 60% i began skipping pages..and my interest never picked up after that. overall, a pretty good story. wonderful writing.
Crystal Marie
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rick Reed is so consistently good, I always know it’s going to be at least a 4 star read for me even before I’ve laid eyes on the first words. This one is a bit of a departure for him and I was excited to read it for that reason. There’s a lot more darkness in here than his typical fare and it even edges into Stephen King territory (something that one of the main characters alludes to in the beginnings of the weirdness). I’m also a sucker for a serial killer plotline – not sure what that says a ...more
Joyfully Jay
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

Third Eye was a psychological thriller from beginning to end. Alternating between the terror and horror that keeps Cayce in its grip and the cold blooded thoughts and actions of the killers made this novel supercharged with emotion right to the very end. The slow erosion of Cayce as he grappled to turn off the murderous images in his mind juxtaposed with the constant confusion and need for approval and love that flitted through Myra’s head was staggering. Myra was a
Jaime
I'm not a fan of horror/suspense anything, books or movies or TV, so this book falls outside my comfort zone. Though I have read and enjoyed Rick's romance titles, when I started, I was already nervous.

And I should have been, because I am a total light weight, and Rick sets you up to believe nothing, not little dogs, old people, not even kids are sacred in this book. Anything can be sacrificed...

Not being an aficionado of the genre, I can't tell you if I enjoyed this book because of the superior
Marte - Thunderella
Sounds promising, and terrifying and horrific. ;)

On sale on Amazon right now! Get it at a bargain.
Calila
I am so many issues with so many things in this book, but yet the writing was compelling and I was fully invested in the plot even as I cursed how things were written.

1. Sorry, Cayce needs to drop kick his mother out of his life as soon as possible. Not only is she horribly emotionally abusive, she lets his son go off with a stranger (who is a serial killer) who is kidnapping him.

2. A big screw you to the message that somehow a mentally ill killer is evil incarnate, but his accomplice is worth
Fangtasia
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reminiscent of Stephen King and Robin Cook's work, caught me by surprise. Took me a while to finish it, because some of it was kinda hard to read at this point in my life, but at no point did I ever even consider DNF'ing it.

If you are a fan of the above-mentioned authors, and open-minded enough to accept some poignant, non-graphic gay romance (no on-page sex at all), then you'll enjoy this story.
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post:
eARC Review: Third Eye by Rick R. Reed

I have always felt that author Rick Reed is one of the best when it comes to suspense filled novels, no matter the genre. Truth be told, he has some books I have bought but never opened because the plot absolutely terrified me. Though now I see it as a challenge to finally do so for I am in my horror-stories-mode.

Going back to Third Eye, this is one of the good ones by this author. For the suspense, not really on romance. So I am tagging
Heloise West
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing

This a harrowing thriller of kidnapping and murder where the only living witness is single dad Cayce D’Amico—he is only able to “witness” these murders of young girls after a tree branch falls on his head and knocks him unconscious. When he awakens, he has far more intimate knowledge of the people around him than he wants to simply by touching them.

For those he cannot touch, seeing the picture of the missing girls in the newspaper triggers his “third eye,” and he is able to see and relive the k
Curtis
When Cayce D'Amico goes out in search of his son Luke during a thunderstorm, the most he expect will happen is that he'll get soaked by the rain. So when lightning strikes a tree causing a branch to fall and knock him unconscious, he already has more than he bargained for. When he wakes, however, he finds that he now receives visions about other people, notably two young girls who have recently gone missing. Because the visions are so vivid, Cayce can't help but feel he must help them, even thou ...more
Denise White
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Let me start off by saying the writing that this author has is really good... But for me his storytelling is lacking... I was done with the book when the grandmother let the Luke go off with a stranger so she could continue to cook... Who does that for real... Not only does she say let her grandson go off with a stranger nobody says anything to her about how jacked up that was ... that's unrealistic to me... Casey got on my nerves you have these visions but you don't really use it or anything... ...more
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★☆☆ ~ 3 Stars
During a storm, Cayce is searching for his son and is clonked on the head by a tree branch and when he wakes up, he can read minds and has visions. And the visions he's having are of teen-age girls being murdered. Nobody believes him until Dave, the local journalist begins to help him unravel the mystery and when Cayce's young son is abducted, the search for answers becomes even more personal.

Not much of a love story, well between Dave and Cayce. Definitely a love story between Ca
Michael
3.75 Stars. This book is hard for me to review because I do not like dark horror/thriller stories. Especially those involving children.

That said I had to read something dark for a challenge and picked this book because unlike that asshole Stephen King I didn't think Rick Reed would leave me with a shitty ending (and I was right)

If you are a fan of the genre then I certainly recommend this book as something you will probably enjoy.
Teresa
Despite the gruesome story, and the try at emotional connection, I never really felt it. The main character’s mother was awful as well as many of the other characters. I liked Dave though we didn’t get to know him much. There might as well of not been a love plot line it is so minor.

I did like the psychic aspect and that the worst acts were all behind closed doors though we do see some of the aftermath.

It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good either.
Timothy Tyrrel
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wicked good

Every thing a good read should be. Pace, character, plot reality. Delicious for a quick thrill on a cold winter night.
Shannon
Disappointed. Part 1 was decent, although Cayce was kinda naive and it seemed to escalate too fast. Part 2 was awful. I wanted to stop. Cayce turned TSTL. The epilogue actually made me mad.
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
This is one of those stories where I wondered why did I wait so long to read it!

I wouldn't consider it a romance however the MC Cayce does form a romantic attachment to the reporter who's covering the cases he finds himself involved with. The overall storyline though is about Cayce's newfound ability to "see" things about the missing girls.

I found this story to be fascinating and didn't want to stop reading. I thought the antagonists were horrifying. Yet I was (view spoiler)
T.M. Smith
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cayce D’Amico is a struggling single father, working at the local diner just to make ends meet, his life revolves around his son. When Luke wanders off one day during a storm, Cayce gets hurt when he goes looking for him and winds up in the hospital. In the aftermath, Cayce starts to notice strange things he is able to do. He can hear other peoples thoughts, and he’s having visions of missing girls.

Dave Newton is an aging reporter, a borderline alcoholic that has pretty much given up on love and
Molly Lolly
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Original review on Molly Lolly
Four and a half stars!
Before I even picked up this book, I had mixed feelings on how I thought I would like it (we all have those pre-reading feelings, it’s how we decided whether or not to buy a book). On one hand, I love Rick’s books. Every single one I’ve read has been good. On the other hand, I don’t enjoy horror/murder books. So I started reading with only slight hesitation. I have to say I’m glad I chose to read it because I would have missed an amazing book.
Tj
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have, read-2015
I do enjoy this author. He has a way with words that make the book come alive without being overpowering. The plot was interesting. It seemed to start especially strong though I will admit my attention to the book wasn't as strong by the end. I think once it became a chase more than mystery it lost a little something for me.

Now even with all that I thought the author did a very good job in the story line. We can follow Casey as he learns how to deal with all that is suddenly going on in his life
Inked Reads
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Third Eye is a mystery/thriller by Rick Reed. Third Eye is a dark, gruesome book, and probably not for everyone. Typical for what you would find in the genre.

Cayce D’Amico is a single father struggling to live a good life in a small town. He's likable enough, though I never did get used to his name. He's joined in his reluctant crime-stopping by Dave Newton, the town reporter, who is a somewhat bland older man, if British, and JK Simmons, your typical worn-out female cop.

There's only a tiny bit
Debbie
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A chilling thriller, from beginning to end. I didn't want to put the book down, but I unfortunately had to sleep. Love the different POV's. There were just a couple of points in the plot that I would have liked a little more info on (but that's just me).
J
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A solid job. Kept my attention, maneuvered through the trickiest parts easily, fleshed out the supporting cast to bring the community to life. Steady pacing. The decision to introduce the villains early paid off.

• A Hard Winter Rain
  • Dead in the Desert (L.A. Paranormal, #3)
  • The Seer
  • Despite the Odds (Odds Are, #1)
  • He's Just Knot That Into You
  • Spring Affair (Seasons of Love, #1)
  • Violated
  • 40 Souls to Keep
  • Spaghetti Western (Delectable #5)
  • Michael, Reinvented (Delta Restorations, #2)
  • Not As Easy As It Looks
  • Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1)
  • Look Away Silence
  • The Downs
  • Back to You
  • Life After Death (Infected #3)
  • Into the Woods (Searching for Eden #1)
  • Liquid Glass
Real Men. True Love.

Rick R. Reed draws inspiration from the lives of gay men to craft stories that quicken the heartbeat, engage emotions, and keep the pages turning. Although he dabbles in horror, dark suspense, and comedy, his attention always returns to the power of love. He’s the award-winning and bestselling author of more than fifty works of published fiction and is forever at work on yet an