Start by marking “Take Back Your Life: Recovering From Cults & Abusive Relationships” as Want to Read:
Take Back Your Life: Recovering From Cults & Abusive Relationships

Take Back Your Life: Recovering From Cults & Abusive Relationships

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Cult victims and those who have suffered abusive relationships often suffer from fear, confusion, low self-esteem, and post-traumatic stress. This title explains the seductive draw that leads people into such situations, provides guidelines for assessing what happened, and tools for getting back on track.
Published August 17th 2006 by Bay Tree Publishing (first published March 31st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Take Back Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Back Your Life

Joe Devon
Dec 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
What made me buy the book was that it was the first time I'd seen a book talk about one on one and family cult relationships, not to mention personality disorders. I believe there needs to be more research along those lines. It is core to who many criminals are, to how we punish people, and is how many of our leaders got to where they are.

What I didn't like right off the bat was the formatting for Kindle was not done professionally, so I was going to deduct a star for that and mention it for the
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is written primarily for those who are recovering from cults and abusive relationships, but also for those who have friends and family members who are in cults or abusive relationships to help them understand what is going on. I was personally interested in it because I was brought up in a rather cultish church and I could certainly identify with a great deal that the authors wrote about.

It's an excellent read, easy to follow but very indepth. Although it does cover abusive one-to-one
Pierre S. Freeman
Take Back Your Life
by Janja Lalich and Madeline Tobias
-Recovering from Cults and Abusive Relationships-
A Book Review By Pierre Freeman

If you have been in a cult for over two decades and you strongly suspect something is wrong, you really need some outside help to awaken you as to why you can’t leave. Now, add to the problem, that you are virtually penniless at the time- and are afraid to talk to anyone in the group which has now earned your ambivilence. How are you going to get help? Further, s
Kristy
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-core
My (physical, not Kindle) edition of this book was published in 2006 and includes Madeleine Tobias as a co-author. Certain chapters and appendices were very helpful to me.
Julie Stacey