Start by marking “The Master Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Master Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #3)

The Master Magician

(The Paper Magician #3)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  26,666 ratings  ·  2,041 reviews
Throughout her studies, Ceony Twill has harbored a secret, one she's kept from even her mentor, Emery Thane. She's discovered how to practice forms of magic other than her own--an ability long thought impossible.

While all seems set for Ceony to complete her apprenticeship and pass her upcoming final magician's exam, life quickly becomes complicated. To avoid fa
Published June 2nd 2015 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about The Master Magician, please sign up.
Grace I don't know about students falling in love with their magic teacher, but I found The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern had a very similar feel to this…moreI don't know about students falling in love with their magic teacher, but I found The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern had a very similar feel to this series (: Really recommended if you enjoy magical fantasy and swoon-worthy period romances! (less)
Charlie Holmberg Laura is definitely right! The other reason is that The Paper Magician and The Glass Magician were sold together, whereas The Master Magician was sold…moreLaura is definitely right! The other reason is that The Paper Magician and The Glass Magician were sold together, whereas The Master Magician was sold separately a while afterward, which contributes to the gap.(less)

·  26,666 ratings  ·  2,041 reviews

Start your review of The Master Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #3)
JAIME
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in this series was lucky it caught me on a good day or it would have been a 2 star rating.

- Emery is lovely and I love him;

- Ceony is a twit. Watching her throw herself into stupid situations just got so boring by the end;

- The idea of 'folding' as a magic system was still just so fascinating to me. That was the one part of the series that I can say absolutely was cool and held my attention with no problem;

- The (should be) high drama scenes in
Rhy Moore
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff, fan
For some reason, Ceony annoyed the crap out of me in this installment.

The annoying things she did were not new, though. What seemed different to me was that, in previous books, when she threw herself into stuff that wasn't her business or was "above her pay grade", you could really kind of understand why. It was a spur of the moment emergency, or her family was threatened.

But in this one, she came off as a smug know-it-all who was doing dumb stuff for no sympathetic reaso
R.K. Gold
1.5 but rounded up to 2 because I can at least see why other people might like this series. I am clearly not the target demographic.

As usual my reviews contain spoilers so if that bothers you stop reading now.

So I read these books because they're free on KU but I don't think I'll continue with the second series. I don't know. I might. They're short so they help boost my reading challenge goal. I'll think about it.

Every compliment I had for this series went out the window with this
Nasom
Full review

It was mostly 'Eh'

What I liked
- honestly, the only thing i really liked was the romance. I loved how cute and PG it was. Especially since they lived together (as apprentice and teacher). It was clear that nothing was going to happen until marriage!! And i loved that they sent each other letters everyday when they were not together! So old school and charming (literally and figuratively)
“You are the kind of woman who makes me believe in God, Ceony”

- Oh, i liked the end/>
robb
1.5/5

This is a slight improvement over the other two, but overall a sore disappointment to what I was expecting. This series is a hot mess. I started The Paper Magician thinking that I'll be thrown into a magical world full of magicians and the like. My problem with the first one is the lack of world building and how 90% of the plot are just flashbacks. My problem with the second one is mainly our protagonist and how she spends full time lusting over her love's green eyes, how the romance overthrew the main plot./>This
Cecily
Jan 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. I know it's not worth the effort, but I have to rant a little bit. I just rolled my eyes too much while reading this. Authors who do not have enough story or villains should not write a series. Just keep it to one book! It could have even been a good book!!! Anyway, spoiler tag because I'm considerate:
(view spoiler) ...more
Aisling Zena

Unfortunately,poor Ceony kept getting hit with a progressively larger TSTL stick as the series progressed.

description
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
This was kind of the perfect ending to this series. Part dangerous and part frivolous, full of magic and just enough romance. And that ending...sigh. :)
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Oh my god this series was so perfect. A dash of magic, a dash of romance, and one cranky magician who won my heart (or at least warmed it a LITTLE) when a really awesome thing happened and he...smiled.

Things that have to happen in this book in order to resolve the series:
1) Ceony needs to take magicians test
2)Saraj (bad guy) needs to be dealt with
3)The relationship needs to either happen or not
-Did these things happen? Read to find out!

I can't real
Nina
Feb 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series was so bad I can't even believe I finished it. I think it's actually the first time I really have nothing good to say about a book since I've joined goodreads. It's apparently okay to have racist and sexist themes if it's in the 1700's and the author made a weak qualifier for her villain choice in book one? Sorry, but HECK NO. The gender norms were awful, but add the fact that the only significant character that was a person of color was a villain psycho killer and you have some of t ...more
Steven
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016, fantasy
All three of these books are decent books. Definitely worth a read, but my four stars are for a highly creative and really neat magic system. Very Sanderson of her to create such an interesting one. Not "OMG best book ever" status, but also not "can't believe I wasted three books worth of reading time" status either.
ℨαrα

World: ★★★★☆
Enjoyment: ★★★☆☆
Cover:
★★★★☆

Pros:
○ The whole trilogy —while somewhat frustrating— is addictive.
○ I read the trilogy in 3 days. My reading challenge appreciates it.
○ I like Ceony some of the time, but then she goes and does something that makes me roll my eyes.
○ Emery, Magician Aviosky and even Bennet — albeit we don’t see much of him.
○ It had some lovely moments
Mandy
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to review #3 in the series, "Mandy drinks a lot of scotch and then tells you how she really feels."

I pre-ordered book 3 because I was pretty stoked to see how Ceony's story would progress after she learned some hard life lessons. The Master Magician was alright, but I kind of expected more from it. This girl is now the only person alive who can switch between any of the magical bents which exist in the world. And what does she do? Makes some paw pads for her puppy and decorat
Alaina

I'M SWOONING GUYS. FUDGING SWOONING.

I loved everything about this book, this series, and I can't believe it's over. I'm depressed. I want another book right now. In my lovely, small, child-like hands because I can't accept that kind of ending. NO, I need more. I want more.

I see and know that there is going to be a fourth book, The Plastic Magician but I want more of Ceony and Emery right now! I wanted to read about their wedding, their family growing, and the whole shebang. That is why I can't accept that kind o
Stacee
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This was definitely my favorite of the series.

Ceony is still as headstrong as ever. Some of the decisions she makes aren't that bright, but they're somewhat understandable. The moments with Emery were sweet, but of course I wanted more.

Loved the action in this one. The entire last third of the book was captivating and the only way the ending could have been better was if it were longer.

I'm already looking forward to binge reading these.
Samantha
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scookie-reviews
Verdict: Disappointing.

In book one, Ceony journeyed through a stolen heart and learned to love an intelligent but reserved man.

In book two, we learn more about Gaffers and other magics in an action packed sequel.

What happened in book three?

All I know is I just didn’t care about any of it.

In my opinion, Ceony crosses the line from a strong willed woman, to a rude, reckless, and unreasonably stubborn woman. She talks down to others with a self-ri
Halle Watson
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant end for a pleasant series.
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
I enjoyed this book, but I was also a bit disappointed because it seems to weakest of the trilogy, and it's always a bit of a downer to go out that way.

The story opens roughly two years after the last ends, and Ceony is preparing to take her Magicians test. Meanwhile, the relationship between her and Emery has been developing, which we see in little moments they have together, which were nice.

But, of course, things can't be that easy. Emery sends Ceony to another magician
Suad Shamma
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2015
I'm afraid I didn't enjoy this book at all. It was just one of those books that I wanted to get out of the way as quickly as possible because I had already started the series and felt obligated to do so. It was such a huge disappointment for me after thoroughly enjoying the first and second parts of this trilogy. The excitement was gone, the exhilarating mystery and adventure disappeared, the strong and clever protagonist became obnoxious and silly, and the beautiful romance turned into lame dri ...more
Karen
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this trilogy! I'm actually a little sad that it's over. I thoroughly enjoyed the character of Ceony. At the beginning she seemed a little shy and apprehensive but in reality she was tough and pretty sure of herself. She was a genuine heroine. I also found myself immersed in the unique magic of being able to manipulate paper, glass, fire etc. Such unusual magic and interesting spells created a very creative story!
Sabrina Ye
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of the entire trilogy:

I think the fans of HP series would love this trilogy,for its amazing magic world.The plot and the characters are average,they're not that appeal me,but I do love the paper folding things and those incredible paper creatures. > < My favorite part of this trilogy is Ceony and Emery's romance,they're really adorable <3.Perhaps the movie version would be better than novels.(I mean, the plot might be more exciting and interesting when turning into a
Tayla Robichaud
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: need-to-buy, 2015
Ahhhhhhhhhh OMG swooooooooonnnn
So much swooooonn

This book was so amazingly good.

Ahhhh I can't get over it. I have butterflies and I'm so giddy and I'm like a teenage girl right now. THAT ENDING THO!

So so so so great
Mel
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
So I'll be honest, I didn't read the entirety of this book. I read about 50% of it, and skimmed the rest.

I really love love love the characters and the world, but I really didn't care as much about the conflict. I would have just as much rathered read a story about a girl studying magic, with a romance. I didn't need the sort of action aspects. So I overall pretty much skimmed through the middle section and read the beginning and end to completion.

I liked the conclusion of this stor
Rissa
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ceoney is learning and slowly getting to master level.
Sally Ember
This series started out with such promise and I loved Volume I, The Paper Magician, so much I immediately went out to read Volume II, The Glass Magician. However, Volume II devolved, as so many speculative fiction books do, into battles and conflicts with very little character development or depth to the plot once all that started.

Volume III started out as good as Volume I did, but then it also devolved in much the same way as Volume II did. As much as I liked the creativity and detail with which Holmberg render
WhatIReallyRead
The series is really easy to binge-read, because the books are so short and light-hearted.

The Master Magician is a logical conclusion to the series, continuing all the trends set in the previous two books. I really liked Ceony's and Emery's relationship. I'm pretty used to seeing over-the-top-passionate-insta-angsty-love in YA Fantasy, and this fictional couple is so not that, it's refreshing.

Also, I guess the other thing I've really enjoyed while reading this series is the fact that C
Kushnuma
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Master Magician is the final book in the trilogy.

I thought this book was awesome, apart from the fact that I did not like how Ceony thought that she can handle Saraj just because she's been up against other bad guys. I liked how Charlie used some Hindi words, which I understood.

I think I'd love to see a movie made out of this trilogy, because when I was imagining the story, it looked really great.
Jeff Wheeler
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of the Paper Magician series by Charlie Holmberg. Book 2 (Glass Magician) was probably my favorite. I knocked a star off the third book because I found some of the decisions and plot points strained my disbelief too much. I liked the tension in the story - Ceony is a great heroine and her relationship with Emery is believable and full of trouble. I like the magic system enormously. The villain is horrific and scary-powerful, which made it intense. But Ceony's choices in book 3 made ...more
Grace Mineta
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the fantastic end to a fantastic series. Really, I loved everything about it. I had this book pre-ordered, so I could read it as soon as it came out (and finished it all in one sitting).

A lot of times, trilogies will have kind of lame/confusing ending. This wasn't one of those cases.
Katie
HELL YEAH, I finished this with 10 minutes to spare before my free trial of kindle unlimited was up!

• The Mermaid's Sister
  • Prism Cloud (Harbinger #4)
  • Iron Garland (Harbinger #3)
  • Mirror Gate (Harbinger #2)
  • Broken Veil (Harbinger #5)
  • Storm Glass (Harbinger #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • The Warrior Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #4)
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles, #1)
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • The Woodcutter
  • Into the Hourglass (The Evermore Chronicles, #2)
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • The Girl with Stars in her Hair
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
  • The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
Charlie N. Holmberg is the award-winning author of the Numina series, The Fifth Doll, and many others. Her Wall Street Journal bestselling Paper Magician series, which includes The Paper Magician, The Glass Magician, and The Master Magician, has been optioned by the Walt Disney Company. Charlie’s stand-alone novel, Followed by Frost, was nominated for a 2016 RITA Award for Best Young Adult Romance ...more

The Paper Magician (4 books)
  • The Paper Magician