Start by marking “The Underground Princess (The Balderdash Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Underground Princess (The Balderdash Saga, #1)

The Underground Princess (The Balderdash Saga, #1)

Not all fairytales take place in rolling hills or along sparkling beaches. Some happen right below our very feet like the corpses they are….

~~~~~

Princess Scarlet is on a journey to find true love, but a malevolent force, Maleer, is in the process of dethroning her father, King Hurlock. Maleer intends to rule the underground kingdom of Balderdash, build an army, and break t
Paperback, 1st, 114 pages
Published December 1st 2014 by Evolved Publishing LLC (first published November 29th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Underground Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Underground Princess

Renee
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Princess Scarlet has long been dreaming of finding a prince to fall in love with and to marry. Unfortunately, princes are rare in Balderdash - - an underground Kingdom created by a shaman and populated with the previously living, who manage to stay “un-dead” by drinking a special Preservation Potion. Until one day, a prince is buried in the cursed cemetery above the Kingdom and Scarlet’s prayers are answered. But before the prince can be exhume and brought to Balderdash to be revived, the evil M ...more
Gillian Bradtmueller
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! My daughter is 7 and is obsessed with these amazing books. I love them myself. She has 3 so far and has asked for the rest for Christmas. I promise you and your children will not be disappointed with these series.
Jean Smith
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
What’s a fairy tale with a princess without a happy ever after? I loved this story for its combination of fairy tale and paranormal but then I really thought about it. What classical fairy tales have I read that didn’t have an element of the paranormal? And how many of them don’t have underlying messages to teach us a valuable lesson? This story is chock full of the lessons in life. Just one of which is the measure of beauty that we see through the eyes of Roland.

Fairy tales allow kids to learn
HeidiLynns BookReviews
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
First I would like to thank JW Zulauf for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

The Underground Princess By J. W. Zulauf is the first book of the Lower Grade Adventure of the The Balderdash Saga.
J.W. Zulauf did a really great job with his detailed descriptions of his characters in his book. However, it was Luke Spooner that made those mental visualizations come to life in your mind. Between the two of them they made a good team.

I really enjoyed this story about Princess Sc
Niki Driscoll
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
I was given an ARC for an honest review.

I found this to be a unique and interesting story that would appeal to a wide variety of ages. The cast of characters are easy to like, colorful and very entertaining. The storyline was well written, easy to follow and delivered a strong message about looking below the surface to find the beauty beneath. An unusual tale to be sure as our characters were once deceased, are still sporting knives in their backs and exposing skeletal bones. Keeping to the form
Dec 07, 2015 added it
The Underground Princess is a great children's book. I was wondering how the book would have the "un-dead" and not be scary, but this book was an adorable twist on the perfect fairytale.
Princess Scarlet just wants to fall in love and marry her prince charming. When the Shaman made them into the undead, she put Scarlet's father, Hurlock, in charge of Balderdash, but his rival, Maleer, comes back to claim the throne. When a new prince is buried in the graveyard the town celebrates, but Maleer see
Rosanna
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read the blurb at all when I chose it so I had no idea what it was about.
I really liked the book. This is a chapter book more for Tweens.
It's a story about love between two unsuspecting people. It reminds me of what we as humans think love is and how we are supposed to be looking for the perfect looking guy. We tend to be shallow at times.
The princess Scarlet was looking for the ideal love. Desperate for it even that she goes against her father the Kings orders and goes out to the ci
Hunter
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While The Underground Princess may not be aimed at my age group, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Finding wonderful new literature for younger readers is something I will never tire of searching for, and this tale shines within that context. An engaging story filled with well defined characters that not only is fun to read but also imparts important lessons upon the reader? Wonderful!

If you have (or will have) a budding reader in your house I cannot recommend The Underground Princess more! Eage
Kaila
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I ended up reading this one to just myself. My girls aren't into zombies much yet and were more interested in playing, but I am planning to read it to them soon. So this review is my own :) I enjoyed this one, I wasn't sure because I'm not big on zombies and especially for kids. However, this was so well written that it wasn't scary and it was very interesting story. I enjoy how much she grew up through the story and became less annoying lol. It was a sweet read and I am glad I got to review it.
Jaime Kurp
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

Underground Princess

by J.W. Zulauf

Reviewed by Jaime Kurp

This is a wonderful story for a child to read. I really enjoyed the story and the pictures helped bring the characters alive. This is a story about a princess that wants to find her true love. But she has to go threw so horrible things in order to find her true love. She almost loses her father and the whole kingdom. But she conquers evil with the help of some friends and finds her true love.

Note: I received a review copy of the book.

Zeinab Dh
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got this book in exchange of an honest review, I was extremely surprised a lot in this book it was quite interesting to see how a princess desires a prince yet could not find out that easily and the cool thing was that the princess had to work out a lot in order to save the kingdom from the evil Maleer it was nice to see a princess get out of her normal world to show strengths courage and fight for love this is great for my students

Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such graphic detail, you can't miss much with this story. Not only did it keep my 11 year old daughter glued, it did me as well. I enjoyed this twist on the princess with her happily ever after. I did get a huge kick out the knight/pirate! so funny! Great novel for all ages!
Jessica Mitchell
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A cute little story. Of kind a princess, and a evil wizard. A little princess who is undead. She has a a dream to fall in love with a prince. But is that really what she needs or is there something in front of her that will be better for her.
Jessica Mitchell
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amanda
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, loved-it
I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. It was a really fun read. I loved the town of Balderdash, and part of me hopes/wishes it exists. Roland, the pirate knight(!) made me giggle, and I'm really jealous that the princess has a pet owl.
Gabryyl Pierce
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic story! I read this for myself (no kids) and I loved it. Very much a book I would have loved as a kid.
Tim
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cute story. My girls (7 and 9) both liked it.
Marlin Desault
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great story for my daughter. She loved it.
Lane Diamond
Stacia Shelley
Dec 19, 2014

• Shadow Swarm
  • Vicky Finds a Valentine
  • Valentina and the Haunted Mansion (Valentina's Spooky Adventures, #1)
  • Survivor Roundup (Zombie West #2)
  • Brink of Dawn (Chosen #2)
  • Hot Sinatra
  • Yours to Keep or Throw Aside
  • Moon Dust (Two Moons of Sera)
  • Hannah's Voice
  • Their Twisted Love (The Twisted Mosaic #2)
  • The Silver Sphere
  • Circles
  • Kubrick's Game
J.W. Zulauf wears many hats while walking the streets of the writing world. He started with a focus on the short story, first winning the Marjorie Flack Award for Fiction. Then he became one of the editors for Daylight Dims, which has grown into an annual anthology. He now works as an author at Evolved Publishing, creating the children's series, 'The Balderdash Saga', beginning with 'The Undergrou ...more