Start by marking “Trowchester Blues (Trowchester Blues, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trowchester Blues (Trowchester Blues, #1)

Trowchester Blues

(Trowchester Blues #1)

Michael May is losing it. Long ago, he joined the Metropolitan Police to escape his father’s tyranny and protect people like himself. Now his father is dead, and he’s been fired for punching a suspect. Afraid of his own rage, he returns to Trowchester—and to his childhood home, with all its old fears and memories. When he meets a charming, bohemian bookshop owner who seems ...more
Published February 9th 2015 by Riptide Publishing (first published February 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Trowchester Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trowchester Blues

Ami

This could be ours. D’you think you could do that? In this place where I don’t think you were very happy for a very long time, d’you think I could make you happy in the future?

Sometimes you get to read a book that feels like it's written just for you -- a book that just checks all your list of the things you want to read. You won't care what everyone else thinks about the book, people might hate it, might think it's mediocre. Heck, you might even see some issues later on when you read
Kaje Harper
4.5 stars rounded up. I really enjoyed this - a flavorful story with originality, after a couple of competent but ordinary books I read.

Michael became a cop with the London Metropolitan Police to protect people, to do good work, and to be everything his emotionally abusive father wasn't. But time, and crime, with its impact on the innocent, have worn him down. He's seen more pain and suffering at the hands of criminals than he can stand. Then the death of his father, even though it represents th
Richard Derus
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5* of five

#ReadingIsResistance to cruel family ties, to the undisguised homophobia of heteronormative ideas on what a family can and should be...Alex Beecroft is having none of it, and it's a delight to read. Romantic deliciousness, suspense and sex and being surprised by joy after hope has been ceremoniously buried and forgotten.

My review is live now.
Vanessa North
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really nice writing, as is typical of Beecroft. I liked the storyline, and I really liked the characters. Love, love, love stories about men who are mature falling in love. MORE OF THIS PLEASE.

Recommend for fans of contemporaries with lyrical writing and those who like big burly cops even after they retire.
Line
Nov 26, 2018 marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
The whole series is free at the zon.com right now: https://smile.amazon.com/Trowchester-...
Mark
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What does an ex-con and an ex-cop have in common? Well, when both are trying to put their pasts behind them and make a new start then they actually have quite a lot in common.

I just love stories with characters who are trying to overcome their turbulent pasts and trying to step in a new direction in life. It gives the story just that little bit more joy when they finally make it, not only on the romantic level, but also on the personal level too. Trowchester Blues combined all these elements for
ttg
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviews
4.5 stars - If I hadn’t been reading this for the blog, I might have put this book down too early, and that would have been my loss.

Why was I pondering dropping it in the first early chapters? Well, I’m not the biggest contemporary romance fan to begin with—I picked up this book, the first in a new series by Beecroft, because I saw that a later volume will have an asexual character. I couldn’t dive into book 3 without trying the earlier ones, right?

But why I almost put it down was because the be
Kazza
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Another beautifully written book by Alex Beecroft, and the first time I have read a contemporary romance of hers. No matter the style or the period, wonderful writing, great characters and attention to detail are a staple.

Full review at http://ontopdownunderbookreviews.com/...
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I don’t know how I feel about this one. On the one hand it held my attention but on the other hand it was kind of awkward and really far fetched. I mean REALLY.

Boat building and runaways, arson and kidnapping just to name a few.

It was kind of angsty but not like hurt my heart angst, kind of more like stuff was depressing and there was drama? I don’t know how to explain that. It was a little disturbing though, some of it. Like his Dad. WHAT A FUCKING DICK.

The drama though. Out of left field. Like
Heather C
When Michael May “snaps” during a kidnapping/murder investigation, he decides it’s time for a life change and moves from busy London to the town of Trowchester where he spent an unhappy childhood. By going “home”, Michael must now exorcise his past ghosts before he can ever have a chance at a happy future. When Michael meets Finn, an eccentric bookstore owner, trust isn’t something that comes easy for Michael. And what will happen when he discovers Finn has an old habit of breaking the law.

Hmm,
Wart Hill
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Things I Find While Shelving

I received a free ARC via NetGalley

I’m still not sure which I love more: the story or the writing. Maybe by the time I finish this review, I’ll have it figured out. Or maybe not, who knows!

So Michael May is a cop. And he’s kind of got some anger issues right now for a variety of reasons - many of which stem from and begin with his dad, who was not a great parental figure. And who also had some anger issues. And May is terrified he’s going to end up like his dad. He ki
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.1 Stars

Well, wasn't that a nice surprise? Again, got this one free from Amazon and now I'm deliberating asking for the rest from my local library (they have this sharing thing going on, I think).

Great characterization...and I love how they both seem so ordinary. But OMFG, the way they describe each other in moments of wonder! It's like a tunnel-vision, wind-machine, blurry Halelujah Chorus kind of scene from a rom-com...but not cheesy like that. It's actually quite breath-taking to see each of
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★☆ ~ 4 Stars
Fintan, an ex-fence who wants to stay that way and Michael, an ex-cop, both men trying to escape their past and forge a new future.

Michael grew up in Trowchester, the son of a horrible man who escaped Trowchester as soon as he could, has returned upon the death of his father and leaving the police department under unfortunate circumstances and Finn has built a new life as a bookseller (plus right there in my book!) and dealing with his partner's death. Instant attraction.

It figure
Elena

I’m not sure how I should rate this.
It’s technically very well written and I liked the set-up, Michael with his demons and insecurities, forced to confront his past, and Finn, living with regrets and the ghost of his late partner, after rebuilding his life as a new man.
The problem is that, although the book is long, there was a lot going on and at the same time many important things happened off page.

When the story starts, Michael can barely stay inside his father’s house and keeps hav
Ulysses Dietz
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Trowchester Blues

By Alex Beecroft

Four stars

There are few wordsmiths in the m/m romance world as elegant as Alex Beecroft.

“Trowchester Blues” introduces us to a small fictional city somewhere far from London in the UK. There we find Michael May, a London cop forced into retirement, and Fintan Hulme, a high-end London fence, also forced into retirement.

The cop and the crook—a nice conundrum for a romance.

Thing is, and this is what makes Beecroft such a delicious writer, both of these men are ge
Melissa
Mar 31, 2018 marked it as own-but-not-read-yet  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free, amazon, 200-300
FREE on Amazon US (not sure about other locations)
KC
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Loved it - the characters, the setting, the bookshop! I want that bookshop! most of all I appreciated how real these characters and what they go through emotionally felt. There's a bit of angst, and a bit of adventure, and humor too. Looking forward to the next books in this series.
Curtis
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
[Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

Michael has been released from his work as a police officer for not being able to control his temper. With seemingly nothing else to do, he returns to his hometown and to the house that is now vacant after his father's death. He expects there is nothing for him there, but he can busy himself with getting the house ready to sell. But then he meets Fintan Hulme, proprietor of the town's b
Roger - president of NBR United -
Ex Con Ex Cop both should be enemies but they become lovers and the story works for me. Michael and Fintan(Finn) just have a chemistry that work. I like that while Michael is uncomfortable inflicting pain for Finn's pleasure he finally relents to use pressure points to cause pain without risking injury. Also I like how Sarah has been helped by both men when she was on the street. would have loved to see more of the relationship. Will read on in this series.
∙ Teal ∙
The writing here is excellent, but I have to throw in the towel. The tone is too bleak and despairing for me. I'm pretty confident there's an HEA ahead, and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone else from reading it, but it's making me feel anxious and depressed. That's not what I want from a book.
Xing
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

A romance between mature adults, sprinkled with the occasional irrational moments, but ending on a good note.
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
Arc received by netgalley ~ riptide publishing
Review to come
Lena Grey
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“I don't know what we're doing here – you and me…I don't know what we are or what we can be, but this doesn't have to be about that. This can just be about…a chance. Taking a chance.” ~ Dianna Hardy, Broken Lights

Being a criminal investigator, like Michael May of 'Trowchester Blues' by Alex Beecroft, can be almost unbearable at times. Michael has been feeling himself slipping for the last year or so, and has been desperately trying to hold on to his rage; but the brutality of his present case un
Devan Huff
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received one copy of this book at no charge in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own. Review first written for Nautical Star Books.

Let me just say that Trowchester Blues was a phenomenal book. One of the first things that really caught my attention was the author’s writing style itself. The words almost flowed off the page…descriptive and almost poetic at times, the story wasn’t just TOLD but more like SHOWED to the reader.

Trowchester Blues starts out with a rather graphic mur
Alisa

This was my first time reading this author and I'm now a fan. I really enjoyed this book. Michael is a police detective who has seen one too many crimes scenes. After a forced retirement he heads back to the city he was raised in to try to put his life back together. His parent's home does nothing but bring back bad memories for him. While there he meets Finn who is his complete opposite. While Michael is dark and broody and hiding his sexuality, Finn is light-hearted, outgoing and completely in
OJ
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought-to-read
OK, for my first foray into Alex Beecroft's writing I must say this is really good. I mean, seriously well written.

Michael May, the London cop who finally loses it due to the stress of his job, goes home to the house that he inherits from his father, a total emotional abuser who is responsible for Michael's mother's suicide.

Once he returns to Trowchester, disgraced and resigned from his London police job, he encounters the magical Fintan Hulme, owner of an amazing book store and holder of deep,
Erin Books
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really really liked this one. The writing reminds me of Harper Fox, with that tinge of slight magic in the everyday world. There isn't any actual magic, but there's a dreaminess about the writing, anchored by the fact that she is writing about adult men acting like adults. I wish it wasn't so rare to find real adults in books, but I'm always pleased when I do!
Coco.V
Mar 31, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (3/31/2018)!💝
The Backlot Gay B...: Trowchester Blues by Alex Beecroft 5 17 Apr 15, 2015 06:08PM
  • Embers (Common Law, #2)
  • The Merchant of Death (Playing the Fool, #2)
  • The Best Corpse for the Job (Lindenshaw Mysteries, #1)
  • Trust Me (Cover Me, #2)
  • Half Moon Chambers
  • Tracefinder: Contact (Tracefinder, #1)
  • Home the Hard Way
  • Gumption & Gumshoes
  • Bitter Legacy
  • Long the Mile
  • Straight Shooter (Rear Entrance Video, #3)
  • There Will Be Phlogiston (Prosperity, #5)
  • Player vs Player
  • Maloney's Law (Maloney's Law #1)
  • Spin Out (Deputy Joe, #2)
  • Stuff (The Bristol Collection, #2)
  • Blow Down (The Plumber's Mate, #4)
Spaceships and galaxy spanning empires, conversations with angels, viking villages, haunted mansions and forbidden love in the Age of Sail... I love a good strong plot in an exotic setting, with characters you can admire, and a happy ending.

If you make a venn diagram of genres, including historical, fantasy, gay romance and mystery, I occupy the space in the middle where they overlap.

~

BTW, if you

Trowchester Blues (4 books)
  • Blue Eyed Stranger (Trowchester Blues, #2)
  • Blue Steel Chain (Trowchester Blues, #3)
  • Trowchester In Blue: A contemporary m/m romance box set of the first three Trowchester novels (Trowchester Series Book 4)
“Ridiculous, that Finn had to be the one giving comfort. But it had been this way with Tom too. Arguments were tricky things for both sides to win if no one ever gave way first. There was something terribly domestic about the small sacrifice of ego, of first place. Sure, sex was a fine thing, but a fight at the end of which the pair of you were more lovingly entangled than ever, that was closer to being one flesh, one soul, than anything else.” 0 likes
“There wasn’t a lot of time to wait for Michael, but it made the most of itself, stretching like a rubber band, every second longer than the last.” 0 likes