Start by marking “When I Met You” as Want to Read:
When I Met You

When I Met You

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Marianne Baker is happy. Sort of. She’s worked at the same job for years (nearly 15, but who’s counting), she lives at home with her mum (who is driving her crazy) and sleeps in a single bed (yep, her love life is stalled). Playing the violin is her only real passion – but nobody like her does that for a living. Then one night everything changes. The father who abandoned M ...more
Published January 15th 2015 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about When I Met You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Met You

Elaine
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have already read and enjoyed If You’re Not The One by Jemma Forte, and I found this one to be even better. Marianne is the central character in this book about “family”. She is 31, still lives at home, works as a hairdresser despite being an incredibly gifted violinist. The problem is she has no confidence in her own talents, unlike sister Hayley who is constantly being told that she is a wonderful singer, although the reality is that she cannot sing a note.

The story takes place over nine mon
Lucia Ortega
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro que no es muy conocido y que me ha sorprendido mucho.

Los personajes son odiosos (casi todos) pero poco a poco van evolucionando. Una historia de secretos que conquista.
Agi
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I have read two of Jemma's previous books and while I liked them, they have never blown my mind away, there was always something missing, and I was waiting for a real cracker from her, because I was sure that one day she's going to write a book that is going to wow me. And I was not wrong - "When I Met You" had me gripped from start to finish, had me in tears and made me laugh out loud. Please have tissues at the ready when reading this book because you for sure are going to need them - it's a b ...more
Leah
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jemma Forte is an author I have long enjoyed. Her books are great, and when I read her last book If You're Not The One, I thought it was an interesting read and I loved the book, although the ending left a lot to be desired. When I spotted her new one When I Met You up on Netgalley, of course I HAD to read it, and thanks to being pre-approved, it was on my Kindle the moment I spotted it. I couldn't wait to get stuck in and see what it was all about.

When I Met You was such an interesting read - I
Kim
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, kindle, net-galley, n
Marianne still lives at home and is coasting along in her life. She works as a hairdresser- but is actually a very talented violinist. She doubts her talent- whereas her sister Hayley overestimates her own singing ability.

Her father suddenly turns up on the doorstep after leaving the family over 25 years ago. The story behind his departure turns out to be far from what they believed it to be.

Over the next nine months they grow to know him again and the book takes us on many twists in the story.
Katy
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love it when books are bought for me, because I love seeing what other people think I might enjoy. The addition of Goodreads over the past few years has also meant that people can look at my ‘Read’ bookshelves and see what not to get because I’ve already devoured it. This is one of those books that was chosen for me, and I loved it. This was the first book by Jemma Forte that I had read as well so I had no prior expectations as to what her style would be like and what to expect…

This book is ab
Christin Natalia
I didn't enjoy this book. The story isn't touching and I'm not a fan of its characters. The main character is too soft and stupid, the sister is too bitchy, the brother-in-law is too disgusting, the mum is too unrealistic, only the father seems normal. However, it gave a sweet ending that a family could and should have.
Katarina Palackova
Me encanto un monton leer este libro!
Kobby Gyampoh
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Also on http://chicklitpad.blogspot.com

MY SYNOPSIS
Imagine This: The two words you could use to describe your life is: Not Perfect. And when you think about the fact that you are living with your parents, sleeping in your old room, and having no dream you’d want to pursue at thirty-one, you realize you are not kidding, and you are what someone would call underachieved——which could even be dolling the situation up a little bit knowing you have never achieved anything in your life.

If only your mum
Erin
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Firstly thank you to Cara at Harelquin for sending me a copy of this title for review. I’ve been a fan of Jemma’s since I read Me and Miss M. When Cara asked if I’d be interested in a review copy of her new novel I knew I would jump at the chance. Find it on Amazon here.

When I Met You is all about main character Marianne Baker. Marianne feels like her life is in a bit of a rut but that’s all shaken up with the reappearance of her father who has been absent for more than 20 years.

The prologue re
Cheryl M-M
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh holiday romances, the bane of an over-active imagination, too much sun, alcohol and lack of judgement. I can understand how Marianne mistakenly thinks her holiday hot stuff will work in her home setting, because she is simply deluded and blinded by the romantic memories she clings to.

Hot stuff turns out to be all fluffy flab with the attitude of a squatter. Unfortunately he comes to stay and much like a bad smell, he lingers in the background throughout the entire dramatic story.
This story is
Ashleigh Miller
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this book rather hard at the beginning to get involved with and ended up taking ages to read through the book because of this. However around the middle I felt the pace started to quicken up and found myself unable to put it down.

With the book being about a dad who has cancer you feel sorry for his character but end up having strong feelings towards everyone in the book and seeing the way they change because of him is a good thing to read.

I thought this book was different from others I
Bobbie
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was more family-oriented than I anticipated, which isn't really my kind of thing. I'm afraid I wasn't won over by the first-person-present-tense style of writing either. That kind of writing, the immediacy of it, suits a certain kind of book (YA fiction seems particularly suited to it), and I do enjoy it in the right situation, but in this case I didn't think it was the right choice. I did like Marianne, but oddly I think I liked the person she was at the start more than the person she ...more
Ximena Iglesias
I enjoyed this book.
Marianne Baker is 31 and has been working as a hairdresser for some time and still lives at home with her parents. She saves up her money from her job to go backpacking around the world but her true passion is playing her violin.
Her life takes an unexpected turn when her father who abandoned their family when she little comes back into her life with a surprising announcement. His sudden arrival after a long absence cause Marianne to question who he is and well as who she is a
Helen Tate
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book looks as if it is going to be chick lit, and maybe it is, but for me it goes much deeper. Not particularly about romance, more a snapshot of life in a dysfunctional family with quite a lot of emotional upheaval. There are a few musical inaccuracies which grated a little, but this was a book I didn't want to put down even though I had a weepy moment. A worthwhile read.
Helen Wilson
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
What started out as a chick lit casual read, turned into a moving portrayal of how palliative care can change relationships and prepare those left behind for the future. Really enjoyed this, was a tearjerker for sure!
Lesley Halliday
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Aww another really feel good book makes you think about family and all the complications they bring and you don't need to be family by blood just love is needed.
Marie Johnson
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great, easy, funny, emotional read :)
Sandra
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3'5/5
Ha sido bastante entretenido, pero ni de lejos es el mejor libro del mundo. He de decir que al final me ha gustado ya que los personajes evolucionan y dejan de ser tan odiosos.
María
Sep 03, 2015
Gemma Lovell
Dec 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jemma is a television presenter who began her career with five years at The Disney Channel. She has also hosted shows for BBC, ITV and Channel Four. She lives in London with her two children. her third novel 'If You're Not the One' is out February 2014. Visit her website at www.jemmforte.com or follow her on twitter @jemmaforte

--from the author's website