Start by marking “The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)

The Taste of Night

(Signs of the Zodiac #2)

The Second Sign of the Zodiac

Being mortal isn’t easy. Being a superhero is even harder.

Even mortal, Joanna Archer was nobody’s idea of a victim. But now, infused with the supernatural power to alter the battle between Shadow and Light forever, what she’s become is a target. And when a toxic virus invades the valley, her allies are targets are well. To find the cure that wi
Published March 27th 2007 by Harper Voyager

Start your review of The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)
John
Apr 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Can Joanna Archer overcome the desire for vengeance that drives her into defeat after defeat and ultimately her own destruction? I take that to be the theme of this second novel in the Signs of the Zodiac series. The first book, The Scent of Shadows, began with that theme--Joanne putting herself at risk to draw out the man who raped her and just barely failed to kill her when she was a teenager; ten years later, she knows Krav Maga and wants a re-match so she can kill him.

But then Joanna's whol
AH
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to AH by: Steph
Imagine a world where comic book heroes walk amongst us fighting the age old battle of good vs. evil. In The Taste of Night, the battle is between the Light and Shadow forces, each divided into a corresponding sign of the Zodiac. Their actions are chronicled by two comic book writers who publish manuals for both the Light and the Shadow sides of the Zodiac.

Set in Las Vegas, the author built a world that is not out of the realm of possibility. Las Vegas provides a rich and colorful background, fu
Monique
Jan 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Having an attitude and being "tough" are two different things and I don't think that the author or Joanna understand that. You have an "attitude" when you break into someone's house to kill them but then end up having to be rescued... You're "tough" if you can get yourself in to and (more importantly) OUT of trouble. I guess I was hoping for another Rachel Morgan, Mercedes Thompson or Kitty Norville kind of character.(Bad ass!) Joanna talks the talk but can't walk the walk. She's a selfish chara ...more
Marcy Jo
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was freaking fantastic. As much as I liked the first book in this series, this on just blew it out of the water. There is still a lot of mythology being built around what you're reading, and sometimes you have to pause to think about what is really happening, but it doesn't take take away from the story at all. The characters are so relatable. You just want to hug/pat their head/kiss/beat the crap out of them. And the end? Sheesh. The END. I can't WAIT to read the third book. In fact, ...more
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
So I keep telling myself that I'm not going to read this as the world just doesn't make as much sense as it should. Then I pick it up and read another hundred pages and wonder what my problem is. I'm not overly fond of the characters. I don't like the writing style very much. And I particularly hate that people don't figure out the whole Jo/Olivia thing.

And yet there is something compelling about it. I really want to know what happens next. Will I get the next book and read it too? Yep.
Seth
Aug 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who weren't turned off by the first book. Maybe people who didn't read the first.
Shelves: sf-f-h, modernfantasy
This is 100% better than the first in the series, making it about as good as the average first novel. The major plusses are some actual spine in the main character, a nice (if transparent) plot by the Bad Guys(TM), some deus ex machina that fits the comic genre very well, and an attempt to clean up some of the absolutely horrible holes in the world setup.

Our heroine, the superhero with no discernable special powers other than the body of a playmate (a real playmate--she was in the magazine about
Ithlilian
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The Scent of Shadows was one of the first urban fantasies I read, but I knew it was different even then. Many people said the first book was too much setup and not enough follow through, and that it was confusing. I saw it as exciting, unique, and interesting. It was not the typical butt kicking ultra powerful super perfect girl that everyone loves running around killing bad guys. The Taste of Night simplified things a bit, but was still interesting. The best part: the characters.

Joanna Archer i
Megan
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Kay
Feb 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Ok , I'll admit it. Maybe I was just expecting too much after The Scent of Shadows. Because even though I know this was a well-written, cleverly plotted book - I couldn't help but be disappointed. Before I get into why, I just want to reiterate that this is an amazing series. Vicki Pettersson has created a genuinely unique universe in an already saturated market. I guess these next comments could be considered the nit-picking of a fan.

My trouble was with the main character, Jo. While I had quite
Ambre
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
After initially quitting this book in disgust, I went back to it out of desperation- I read a lot faster than the library acquires. Anyway, I was able to get through it after letting my initial reaction fade a bit.

I think I have determined that I really wouldn't like this author much if I met her in person. Why? Well, even her "good guys" are entirely willing to throw friends under the bus to get what they want. Everybody in these books resorts to back biting eventually. And, well,the heroine wo
Steph
The Taste of Night picks up where The Scent of Shadows left off. Joanna (in the body of her sister, Olivia) is still trying to adjust to her life with the merry band of superheros who battle the Shadow Zodiac. She continues to hunt down her rapist Joaquim, a big baddy with the Shadow.

Meanwhile in Gotham City Vegas, the Light is chillaxin' in their hideout with the belief that things are quiet because the Shadow must regroup and all is well. Joanne doesn't agree and does what she does best - diso
Sammi
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Like the first book in the Zodiac series, this book kept me involved and intrigued from the beginning. I had dreams about the storyline and the characters, I wished I had two sets of eyes and two brains so that I could read while at work, read while driving, read while in the shower... I even wanted to skip sleep altogether just to finish this book! I highly recommend it. It shows that even superheroes have faults and make mistakes.
Chad
Jan 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
Took this on vacation as an emergency book - it was really bad. Couldn't finish it. I really wanted to like it - I really did and I admire the author for creating a heroine and new world. I just can't get beyond a hero that continually puts people in dire straits (her troop, a little girl, a would-be boyfriend, an old boy friend...)
Theresa Materazzi
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A world of comic book characters from both sides good and evil how could you go wrong?! You can't! Progressing through this series keeps me hanging on as I get to learn more and more about each sign. Fabulous! I can't wait to read the next book!
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, sexy, 2007
I enjoyed the second book as much as the first. Action packed and sexy with enough plot to keep you interested.
Adrielle
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-baby
This is a fabulous world. Light and dark, good vs evil involving comic book like characters in real time. Love it! I am actually going to reread this series.
☀Rachael☀
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I do like Jo but there is something missing from this to stop me from loving it!
Ladawn Bowling
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i think im glad kim harrison is so awesome about posting on facebook when her fellow authors books are on sale. i never would have picked up the series otherwise but now im really into it.
Vicki
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. So glad I bought all of them!
Jessica Pendlebury
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Here's the thing. Urban fantasy can go well and can go wrong. In this book, the setting was interesting, the characters and storyline were pretty fresh. Then the main character acted like she'd had a frontal lobotomy at every turn and acted like she was 15 and not 25. Marked DNF at the 80% mark. I was that close to finishing and just went, yeah- nah.
Juli
Joanna's character development is coming along almost too slowly. The plot holes and poor editing bothered me. (If I have to read the phrase "swallowed hard" every other page or so in the next book I'll be done.) However, I enjoyed the behind the scenes information about the comic book store, the dark humor, Hunter, Tekla and Ben.
Red Lace Reviews
Joanna Archer, representing the Light-side Sagittarius sign in the Zodiac troupe of Las Vegas, continues to juggle her new-found life in her sister's body. Not only does she have to keep up appearances of being the sole progeny to the richest man in the city, she also has to protect society from the Shadow organisation hellbent on terrorising the innocent. Finding herself in a rather peculiar predicament, Joanna reluctantly makes a deal with a Shadow initiate; one that she might come to regret.

Kristine
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Definitely one of the best books I've read in awhile. And the writing is so perfectly amazing, I felt as though I was right there the whole time. It's a must read for anyone into the paranormal and/or paranormal romance!!
Stan
Feb 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
The main character is an idiot. She always disregards the advice of others and does what she wants endangering her life and others.. I hate heroes/heroines like this. The second book in this series was series killer I will probably not be reading this series any more.
Adrielle
Still a 4 star read.

Jo is learning to be a hero still, overcoming her stubbornness. She still isn't quite heroic yet though, doing stupid things and getting herself caught. She is tough but a bit self absorbed. Makes for good character development.
Anna Marie
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
The Archer is still learning and growing in her powers. Can she stop her biological father's plans? Will she learn what they are before it's too late? Will she get her vengeance against the Shadow who attacked her?
Izzyabelle M
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
I got really bored with this booth like halfway through and took a long break in it. I just came back today and finished it and I'm glad I finally got it done. I'm not sure if I will pick up the next one. The first two have been kinda meh so we will see.
David Norris
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked it as much as the first in the series, I am immediately moving into book 3. It feels like I am there.
Haralambi Markov
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf-pnr
After reading “Scent of Shadows” by Vicki Pettersson I was left ecstatic with the Urban Fantasy genre as a whole even more as it was my fourth book into the genre. While “Stray” offered great amount of sexual tension and feline shapeshifters, “Halfway to the Grave” lots of action and sarcasm and “Touch the Dark” mix from mythology, magic and intrigued, it was “Scent of Shadows” that defined the genre for me. Vicki Pettersson pulled out a whole new world out of the nothing, relying on almost noth ...more
Melisande
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2017
This series is not my most favorite but sometimes I need a change of pace in what I read and it fits the bill. I would recommend it to people who like super heroes
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)
  • Lost Talismans and a Tequila (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #7)
  • Holidays Are Hell
  • Blood Brothers (The Order of the Sanguines, #1.5)
  • Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Anne Rice)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, #12)
  • Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #3)
  • Dead Ice (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #24)
  • Suddenly Psychic (Glimmer Lake, #1)
  • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: A Pop-up Book
  • Justice Calling (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #1)
  • A Child Called "It" and The Lost Boy
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Awk-Weird (Ice Knights, #2)
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
  • Mortal Prey (Lucas Davenport, #13)
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
Vicki Pettersson is a NYT and USA Today bestselling author of ten novels, most set in her hometown of Las Vegas. Though she'll ever consider that glittering dustbowl home, she now divides her time between Vegas and Dallas,Texas, where she's learning to like good Tex-Mex (easy) and the Dallas Cowboys (easier than you'd think).

Her most recent release is SWERVE, aptly titled as it's both a chase boo

Signs of the Zodiac (6 books)
  • The Scent of Shadows (Signs of the Zodiac, #1)
  • The Touch of Twilight (Signs of the Zodiac, #3)
  • City of Souls (Signs of the Zodiac, #4)
  • Cheat the Grave (Signs of the Zodiac, #5)
  • The Neon Graveyard (Signs of the Zodiac, #6)