Start by marking “Liberty and Other Stories (Prosperity, #2-4, 6)” as Want to Read:
Liberty and Other Stories (Prosperity, #2-4, 6)

Liberty and Other Stories

(Prosperity #2-4, 6)

For the delight and edification of discerning readers, we present diverse stories concerning the lives, histories, and adventures of the crew of the aethership Shadowless.

Lament! as an upstanding clergyman falls into the villainous clutches of a notorious criminal mastermind.

Question your sanity! as a dissolute governess confronts blasphemies from beyond creation.

Wonder! a
ebook, 1 edition, 335 pages
Published January 5th 2015 by Riptide Publishing (first published January 4th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Liberty and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liberty and Other Stories

Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
4 LiBeRtY StArS

Anyone for tea...

So we're whisked away again for more tales from that charmer Mr Alexis Hall.

T'waz wonderful so it T'waz.

You know this guy can spin a yarn so beautifully.

....Ruben lay staring up at Milord's piece of sky where the moon floated in a haze of silver upon a sea of stars....

T'waz Milord and Ruben's dalliance that had me like this.....

and this....Gasp!!

I LOVED IT....cunning, clever, smoulderingly sinful.

....then we had the dashing skycaptain Byron Kae, the love
Mel

Liberty & Other Stories is a collection of short stories set in the Prosperity universe. You can meet old friends and learn more about their past and also future. For fans of Prosperity a must read :-)

*** Shackles ***

Oh my fucking God. I am so stunned. Stunned by Milord, and Milord and Ruben. Stunned. When I’m reading their story, I am glued to the pages. I feel so close to them. I can
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved Prosperity and Liberty and Other Stories gives you a glimpse of the lives of the characters Picadilly met on the Shadowless. You'll find out what made them the people Picadilly got to know and love (mostly).
You'll get:
Shackle, Ruben and Milord's story told by Picadilly, who thinks he 'got the shape of it'. It is as heartbreaking as I expected. And now I am even more worried than before. How can I love a character like Milord?
Squamous with a Chance of Rain, Miss Jane Grey's story. This o
Wart Hill
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a free ARC via NetGalley

Have you read Prosperity? Were you left with some lingering questions? (besides translating Picadilly speak...)

Would you like to know more about Milord and Reuban and how they...came to be? Shackle is for you.

Did you find yourself wondering wtf was up with Jane and how she...got where she got? Squamos with a Chance of Rain is right up your alley! Especially if you love hilarious Sound of Music References.

Do you wonder about Byron Kae? Read their story in Cloudy
Ellie
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, m-m, steampunk
Loved it!
Will try to review it soem time next week.
If possible, I loved Byron Kae, Dil, Milord and Ruben even more. Lady Jane is still no my favourite though her story was quite wondrous and scary.

Fans of Prosperity will loved these additonal stories. And, as a side note, they are easier to read in terms of language.

Here is my full review, also posted on Ellie Reads Fiction

This a collection of 4 short stories/novellas some of which are prequels, some - sequels to Prosperity but they all add m
Pam Faste aka Peejakers
*sobs* Oh, God, it was so, so wonderful! But now it's over; I don't want it to be over!

I'm writing separate reviews of each story in this collection, but the whole thing was just impossibly good, every story with it's own distinct flavor.

Shackles, the story of Ruben & Milord's beginning, is moving, emotional & the most erotic of the offerings, with a shocking conclusion.

Squamous with a Chance of Rain, Jane Grey's story, is just hysterically funny, a total laugh-fest, while simultaneous
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
BJ and I did a buddy review on Prism Book Alliance - our reviews are very different but we came to the same conclusion: HELL YEAH

Shackles

This is Ruben and Milord’s origin story. YES. It really is. Can you believe it?! We get this!

Ok, ahem, now then…

Once you’ve read the book that start all of this, Prosperity, the opening pages of Shackles will have your heart beating faster at the possibilities, the anticipation of what you may learn about Ruben and… well, those he knew in the beginning.

Ne
Maya
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Truth is, I reckon we all know less about living than what we pretend we do. But one lesson I have been able to make stick through my slender, though adventuresome, years is that you have to go out and lay paws most handily and most determinedly on whatever stuff it is makes your life worth having.

Liberty and Other stories is a collection of three prequels and a sequel to Prosperity plus a bonus story.

To say I was happy to meet my favourite characters from Prosperity again would be an understa
Julia ♥Duncan♥
Shackles
This was great! As usual, I loved the writing and the word choices, but my favorite part of this will always be these characters. I will never not want more of them.

Squamous with a Chance of Rain
Wow, on one hand I found this completely hilarious with it's references to oh, just everything. On the other hand, let's not lie, some of it was a bit over the top for me. I think I prefer things to be a bit more subtle, although I'm quite sure a few things went over my head or were missed e
Teri
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want this to end.
I don't want this to be the end.
Milord and Ruben, there is so much more I need to know! Their relationship is so intense and agonizing and...hot! Milord is a difficult character, really quite the scoundrel but I so root for him anyway and its not entirely for Ruben's benefit.
Jane's story was cleverly done as far as the letters and the little hints and slow unraveling.
But Byron Kae is really where its at. One of my all time favorite characters ever written. Their story
Izzy
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every so often a style of writing will appeal to you so much that you will read everything you can by the author. Sometimes a fantasy world, or a particular group of characters draw you to a series or group of novels. In Alexis Hall and his work I have found all these things. He is an author who can write many styles from contemporary romance to female vampire detectives, pure fantasy to steampunk and he does it all with panache and enviable literary skill.

In Liberty and Other Stories he revisit
Sadie Forsythe
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find myself in a quandary. I love the Prosperity universe. I love the characters of this series. I greatly enjoyed learning a bit of their history. I found myself surprisingly aghast ant the subtle perversions of The Sound of Music, something I quite liked.

But I'm not a huge fan of short stories as a medium and I'm even less fond of such stories told in a series of correspondences and/or interviews/depositions/testimonies/etc. Which is how most of the stories in this book are told.

So, here I a
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★★ ~ 5 Stars

Prosperity tickles your interest and you must continue with our fearless characters.

- Shackle
How does an ex-preacher hookup with former crime lord who's sentenced to death in a week? Very carefully. I would have liked to know how Ruben and Milord reconnected.

- Squamous with a Chance of Rain
This was actually my least favorite tale. This details how Jane slowly unravels (but does she, really?) through letters to her friend Miranda. But she's quite a character.

- Cloudy Climes and S
Book Gannet
I absolutely adored this collection of five novellas from this incredible world, where airships float through the skies and monstrous krakens rampage through the aether. There are also the mysterious aethermancers who rule the powers of the upper air. The setting is effortlessly done, mixing action with a bit of horror, a smattering of real history with a touch of romance and loads of humour. I was sucked in from the first page and thoroughly enjoyed the ride to the end.

Each of the stories basic
Christy B
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved these stories that took place in the world of Prosperity, especially the first two stories.

The first story, which told of the first meetings of Ruben and Milord, was by far the best. It was short, so I don't want to give anything away, but WOW what an ending!

The second story told of a particularly disturbing governess job of one Miss Jane Grey. No idea if this contributed to the loss of some of her wits in the future, but I would't blame her if it did.

And I was fascinated by the third st
Kelly
A really interesting series, concept wise. No two books reads alike. Prosperity introduces the 'cast', and from there each story explores one of the characters in more detail. There is romance in some stories, not in others. Two of the stories are collections of documents - one just letters, the other court transcripts and evidence. If I hadn't liked the world and AH's writing so much, I might not have been able to read all of it? As it was, I found the entire series sort of fascinating.

Then th
Lotta
I really hope this is not the last we get to read of the Prosperity universe and its characters. I started with Byron Kae's story, then went on to read more about Jane, Ruben and Milord came after that, and finally Liberty. I liked them all very much! I think I have reviewed some of them separately, but never mind! The writing is lovely, the emotions and characters are real. Wonderful stuff! So glad I found this.
Vendela
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stellar. I wasn't an enormous fan of the first story - torture is not something I enjoy reading about, especially as I didn't feel it necessary to establish the violence of Milord - but the rest are wonderful, and Byron Kae's narrative voice in particular is among the more effortlessly poetic I've come across in a while. Gorgeous.
Aija
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome collestion with some rare if not unique ways of telling the stories :) Even if unusual, I was still completelly spellbound!
Jax
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, series
This man is seriously talented. At this point I would gladly read Mr. Hall's grocery list.
Sylvia
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, fantastical world and all these wonderful characters with unique voices.
Cat M
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A diverse series of stories expanding on the Prosperity universe, both before and after the events of Prosperity.

Shackles: This is the Milord/Ruben Crowe backstory I craved and it does not disappoint. Make no mistakes, Milord is not a good, or necessarily sane, man. There is frank description in her of murder and torture at his hands. And yet, like Ruben, I can't bring myself to despise him. Maybe he doesn't deserve Ruben, maybe he doesn't deserve a happy ending, but he doesn't not deserve them
Becca
This collection of novellas fills in a few gaps surrounding the past of the main characters from Prosperity as well as giving us a glimpse of the future of Shadowless and her crew.

Again, Alexis Hall plays with narration style, with each story being told in a different way. The sly nods to Jane Eyre and The Sound of Music in Jane's story were particularly amusing.

I loved being back in this world, I loved the writing style, and I still love the characters.

AltogetherTrue
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
A series of novellas in the Prosperity series bundled into a single book. Each book centred around a different character some we met in Book one and some of we didn’t. I liked some of these stories more than others so suspect I might skip over sections when rereading this one. That said as usual I love the way Alexis Hall writes & the characters he creates.
B.
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liberty and Other Stories is a remarkable telling of the various backgrounds and evolutions of the crew of the Shadowless (Byron Kae’s aethership), who were introduced to us in Prosperity. Through Piccadilly, Mr. Hall gave us expertly delivered teases and glimpses into their respective pasts, which were just enough to make me insanely curious about how they all came to be in the skytown in the first place. This assortment of hearsay, correspondence, and recollections provides some of those answe ...more
Leah
Shackles - 4 stars
Squamous With a Chance of Rain - 3.5 stars
Cloudy Climes and Starless Skies - 4 stars
Liberty - 2 stars

Average rating - 3.375 stars
Karen
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of 4 novellas (which I think are also available individually) set in a steampunk universe very similar to 1850s and 1860s England. I've never read steampunk before, so I didn't know what to expect, but the world Alexis Hall creates is a mix of prosaic Victorian England (complete with Dickens) with magic from another dimension, and the accompanying monsters. One thing I truly enjoyed is that other dimension is profoundly not human, and not really concerned with what goes on i ...more
Elisabeth Lane
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a pretty cerebral romance reader. It's rare that I read one book by an author that so transports me I can't write anything intelligent about it, much less two. So when it comes to Alexis Hall's work, I'm three books in and still struggling to write anything coherent, both because it's just not how I want to experience these stories and because every time I try, I come out with a 6,000 word blog post (don't worry--this post isn't quite that long). There is plenty of meat on these bones. They' ...more
Brittney
I received a copy of Liberty and Other Stories from the publisher for review; this in no way influences my opinions positive or negative.

Liberty and Other Stories is a collection of novellas (2-4, 6) from the Prosperity series. Thankfully you don't need to have read book one to understand who the characters are or what is going on. These are a mix prequels and standalones.

Shackles introduces you to Ruben and Milord. Ruben (an excommunicated priest) is given special dispensation to try to 'save'
Love Bytes Reviews
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 heart review by Pamela-Mae

This is a collection of 4 short stories/novellas that are a mix of prequels and sequels to Prosperity.

Shackles. From Ruben’s POV this reveals the back story of Ruben and Milord. Milord is the gloriously unrepentant villain we came to know in Prosperity and Ruben remains the upstanding man. However, their meeting and coming together impacts on them both at a deep level.

Squamous with a Chance of Rain relates the tale of Lady Jane and how she came to be the character we
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Genrequeer writer of kissing books.

Prosperity (7 books)
  • Prosperity (Prosperity, #1)
  • Shackles (Prosperity, #2)
  • Squamous with a Chance of Rain (Prosperity, #3)
  • Cloudy Climes and Starless Skies (Prosperity, #4)
  • There Will Be Phlogiston (Prosperity, #5)
  • Liberty (Prosperity, #6)