Start by marking “Between the Shadow and the Soul (Darkest Soul, #1)” as Want to Read:
Between the Shadow and the Soul (Darkest Soul, #1)

Between the Shadow and the Soul

(Darkest Soul #1)

21st Century Cologne
On the day of her sixteenth birthday Nela receives her Binding – a tattoo that’ll punish even the thought of magic with burning pain. In a world where the Brotherhood still burns witches at the stake, Nela has learned to fear her magical powers. But her powers are growing and refuse to be ignored. When Nela meets Darko, he shows her a hidden world of ma
Published December 15th 2014 (first published December 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Between the Shadow and the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between the Shadow and the Soul

Start your review of Between the Shadow and the Soul (Darkest Soul, #1)
Nastassja
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who likes books about witches with a darker mood and romance in it
Between the shadow and the soul was on my to read list for a while. I don't know why I didn't read it sooner but it definitely wasn't because of the low ratings and fewer reviews on goodreads. Nope, I guess I just thought this book will be like "girl meets boy" scenario and I've read a tons of books like this and wanted something more. But this book turned out to be more or almost more. Yes, there's indeed a girl who meets a boy but there's no insta love and though the romance part is present it ...more
Rachel
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-2016-read
So.
Okay.

The problem with Between the Shadow and the Soul is not really its plot or its characters or its ideas or its cover.
I mean, just look at that cover. It's one of the few "photo of pretty girl standing around" covers I actually like and that is some A+ composition.

And the premise, where modern day witches are still hunted and persecuted and literally burned at the stake for their witchery, is interesting and well developed and thought-out.

And Nela is a complex heroine who is allowed to be
Serena
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really eh for me. I think it had a lot of potential, but it just fell short. The premise was so interesting - a modern world where witches are condemned and a witch who turns out to be a necromancer - but the book was kind of messy and all over the place. It was okay, but it could have been much more. Maybe it just wasn't a me book.

Thanks to the author for providing a book in exchange for an honest review!
Ari
Nov 25, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Cover love, cover love, cover love. Did you notice how many books did I add based on the cover alone? And they say not to judge a book based on the cover, huh? Well, the first look definitely counts!
Mycoton32
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
16/20
En bref, un premier tome qui pose un monde vraiment très intrigant et des personnages ni tout noir ni tout blanc. On ne sait jamais de quel côté va basculer l'histoire et si Nela et Darko arriveront à dépasser leurs préjugés et leurs attentes pour comprendre ce que l'avenir leur réserve. Je suis curieuse de lire la suite et de voir dans quels mondes l'auteur nous entraine étant donné le mot de la fin...

Shraddha
Cassie C
rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2014
Ttwu
rated it did not like it
Jul 11, 2017
Grace
Dec 09, 2014
Sidney
Jul 24, 2015
Susanne Winnacker studied law before she became a full-time writer. She loves coffee (in every shape and form), traveling and animals.

Her YA thriller IMPOSTOR will be published on May 28, 2013. It has been optioned for TV by Warner Brothers!
I don't read messages on Goodreads. If you want to contact me, please send me an email to this address: books(at)susannewinnacker(dot)com
Here's my official Fa