Start by marking “The Massive, Vol. 5: Ragnarok” as Want to Read:
The Massive, Vol. 5: Ragnarok

The Massive, Vol. 5: Ragnarok

(The Massive #5)

The Crash was only the beginning. What remains of civilization is being obliterated by a series of cataclysmic events. The truth about Mary’s identity, which began as a faint signal, grows louder—and she’s seemingly connected to it all. The secret of the Crash and the location of the missing ship The Massive get answered here, in the final arc, Ragnarok!

The Massive careens
Published July 7th 2015 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Massive, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Massive, Vol. 5

Nick Jones
Jul 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This series started out so well in the first book: A Greenpeace-style ship's crew searching for their sister ship in a world rocked by a major environmental disaster. The successive volumes followed up decently enough, until the fourth started to allow seemingly-mystical elements to incongruously slip in. This final book completely loses the script, falling into magical nonsense driven by the kind of stereotypical handwringing over humanity's effect on the environment that has rendered a lot of ...more
Donovan
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it

"From chaos...comes life?"

Let's talk about Volume 5: Ragnarok.

Ragnarok literally means "the final destruction of the world in the conflict between the Aesir and the powers of Hel led by Loki, called also Twilight of the Gods." For those of you surprised at the religious undertones, not sure what to tell ya. It's in the title. I'm also not sure how to view the supernatural destruction of the world without examining the supernatural elements, why it happened, and why, how, or if humans even matte
Lionel
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is my review for the whole serie with spoilers but the rating is for this book only:

The serie started so well with the first 3 books. I really just got hooked. Book 4 was already a bit down, especially the story arc Sahara....

And now book 5: How the hell did this story become so magical/aliens/religious ???? the last comic book is so cheesy.... We still don't know what happened to Arkany.

even for all these defaults, I could not have put the book down for most of the serie, so I'll go with
Rainey
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sherilyn
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphical
That was not the ending I expected. Not sure how I feel about it. The entire series was well worth reading though.
Jacob
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
A fitting end to a haunting and moving story.
Norman Cook
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
What started out as a believable extrapolation of the effects of climate change on the world's geopolitical environment ends with an unbelievable supernatural/alien deus ex machina. The series still presents a lot of thought-provoking ideas and is well worth reading. The characters are a diverse set of individuals with realistic motivations and problems. The artwork is consistently excellent.
Elizabeth
Dec 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Overall, a really disappointing series. Starts out strong and totally loses it around book three. It’s all downhill from there.
Amanda
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Man From Earth
Jason Fryer
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really cool conclusion to the story with some pretty inventive twists. Overall very satisfied with where they left things.
Sean Parlan
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading the reviews, people had different expectations. I liked the story telling and it was a solid ending.
Aaron
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, graphic-novel
Ehhhhh not really sure the ending was worth the build up. Still an interesting idea just needed better execution in my opinion. Art work was on point though.
Jonathan Roberts
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Lame direction change for this series. Kinda bored with it now
Josie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very satisfying conclusion to an interesting series.
MT
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
The_Mad_Swede
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
After the two separated story arcs in Sahara , Brian Wood presents with a long six-issue arc, Ragnarok, drawn by Garry Brown, in this final volume of his series about the environmentally challenged and societally broken down world of the post-Crash.

It has been a ride and a lot of things come to a head in this volume, mysteries are resolved, as Kapital and its crew encounter a reemergence of the Crash itself, with the frightening implications this has. However, certain things in this volume (and
Cale
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh, so that's what this story ultimately was. It should have been obvious in retrospect, but it still surprised me in a good way. This volume ends the series, and it goes out with a massive bang, as Mary and Callum are rejoined, and the Crash finishes what it had started years before. The story is truly apocalyptic, but seeing it through these characters' eyes puts a strong human face on it. The story goes in directions that it hadn't previously, but it feels like it earns everything it pulls of ...more
Paul Mirek
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I agree with what seems to be a general consensus that the ending subverts the relatively hard sci-fi of earlier volumes, but hey, it's Wood and Brown's story and they deserve kudos for finishing it the way (I assume) they intended. As a writer I love the little moments of clarity Wood works into each issue - these little scenes where the emotion is so perfectly illustrated that almost no words are needed.

Brown's art with Bellaire's colors is as strong as ever and fits these moments just as wel
Kyla
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Holy cow, what an ending to the series!

To review the series as a whole:
At first the story, like the Kapital's crew, drifts without true direction. It is while seeking and closing in on the Massive that the crew comes to find themselves, and in so doing the story takes form. It is only when the full truth--of character histories, of experiences, of the world--is out that the Kapital's goal is achieved. A satisfying story and, as it pertains to this particular collection, ending (or is it a beginn
Seth
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series absolutely fantastic. This being the final installment wrapped up the story quite nicely, yet still left a tiny opening for further adventures of the Massive and its crew. Its kind of difficult for me to say good bye to Cal, Mag, and company. Then again it's been a pleasure just to get to know these characters and the stories of their trials to survive the end of the world. This has honestly been the best comic series I've read all year. If I had ten thumbs, they'd all be way up for ...more
Jonathan

"From chaos...comes life?" - Yeva Israel

An appropriate and fitting end to Wood's environmentally charged apocalyptic epic.

It took two years, but Cal and the crew finally found the Massive.

Alex
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
A worthy ending to a very enjoyable series. It was hard to see quite where this was going to end up without feeling either flat or overblown, but Wood has finessed it quite nicely here I think. I consistently enjoyed The Massive, and am glad to see it concluded nicely here rather than being dragged on or cut short as has happened with some other comics I've recently read.
Benjamin Barham
What an odd end to an otherwise really straightforward book. The (view spoiler) was in my opinion a really strange path to choose for the last arc. Strange but not bad.
Ystyn Francis
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really loved this series and the possibilities it envisaged regarding global warming but I think it lost focus by going mystical in the latter parts rather than staying true to the realism established through the earlier volumes.
Sardonyx
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great conclusion to the series. A few parts in it really stuck in my head for a few days and painted an even gloomier perspective of humanity on this planet than normal.
Jason
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent conclusion to a great series, Brian wood never fails to please.
Gary Ray
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This final issue of The Massive wrapped up the loose ends in ways I really never expected.
Anina
Aug 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Hell no, this ending is not what I had signed up for, by reading the other four volumes!
Topher
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-book
A final volume to a series that consistently left me slightly confused - excellently written, but I do wish I understood what the heck had just happened....
Geoff Sebesta
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
....I strenuously protest at the turn this story has taken. What the hell.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison
  • East of West, Vol. 6
  • Rover Red Charlie
  • Low, Vol. 2: Before the Dawn Burns Us
  • Crossed + One Hundred (Crossed +100 #1)
  • Descender, Vol. 5: Rise of the Robots
  • The Beauty, Vol. 4
  • Greek Street, Volume 1: Blood Calls for Blood
  • Orbiter
Brian Wood's history of published work includes nearly thirty volumes of genre-spanning original material.

From the 1500-page future war epic DMZ, the ecological disaster series The Massive, the American crime drama Briggs Land, the blistering youth culture action trilogy The Couriers, and the groundbreaking lo-fi dystopia Channel Zero, Wood has a proven track record of marrying socially-conscious

The Massive (6 books)