Start by marking “Firsts” as Want to Read:
Firsts

Firsts

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  4,652 ratings  ·  1,155 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Mercedes Ayres has an open-door policy when it comes to her bedroom, but only if the guy fulfills a specific criteria: he has to be a virgin. Mercedes lets the boys get their awkward, fumbling first times over with, and all she asks in return is that they give their girlfriends the perfect first time- the kind Mercedes never had herself.

Keeping what goes
Published January 5th 2016 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Firsts, please sign up.
The Book Crusader I heard the author was also willing to trade a copy for a basket of freshly milled wheat, a bushel of corn, or a milking cow.
Melissa Ramirez I'd say 15 and up, personally; but again, it all depends on that person's reading level. If they have no issue with sensitive/taboo topics (it does…moreI'd say 15 and up, personally; but again, it all depends on that person's reading level. If they have no issue with sensitive/taboo topics (it does get fairly sexual) then it's probably fine. I could've handled it around 15 to 16 with little problem...but I've read above my age range for as long as I can remember!(less)

·  4,652 ratings  ·  1,155 reviews

Emily May
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Let me just say first: I enjoyed this book a lot. I thought it was compelling, awful in parts, with an unconventional narrator who, against the odds, evokes sympathy. It also succeeds where many other YA books have failed: portraying a realistic criticism of and challenge to slut-shaming and double standards.

What would you think of someone who deliberately slept with other girls' boyfriends? I know a lot of my friends here are sex-positive and open-minded, but that's not exactly what I'm talking
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I feel so uncool after reading this book.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Seventeen year old Mercedes has a way of making things right for other girls. She takes their boyfriends and gives them their "first time."
Palm Springs commercial photography

She doesn't want to keep them or nothing. She just is providing a service to make the world a better place. She wants everyone's first time to be really special. *gag*
She finds out that the guy is thinking about making it official with his girlfriend and she checks him out and then invites him over and of course then
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
8 Things You Will Love About Firsts

1. Firsts is raw, compelling and honest. It's a book about a teen who thinks of sex as a way to be in control. It's a book that definitely doesn't shy away from the nitty and gritty, a topic that most young adult novels would opt to leave out.

2. Firsts is incredibly complex. It has a complex story--one that you yourself would definitely not want to get tangled in--and complex characters who you may or may not fully understand even as the novel comes to a clos
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Nov 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2015, arcs
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

As a lover of all things D.U.F.F. (shaddup, Erica) and Easy A I thought my enjoyment of Firsts was nearly guaranteed. Guess that’s what I get for thinking, huh?

“At Milton High, I’m my own statistic. People fail to see the great equalizer, the one thing the band geeks, the drama nerds, the jocks, and the preppies all have in common. Me – Mercedes Ayres. The girl who took their virginity.”

Yep, Mercedes decided to do a little philanthro
Deanna
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
1.5 Stars

We meet seventeen-year-old Mercedes. Only her very good friends may call her Mercy for short. She used to like her name, until she figured out she was named after a car, the car that her dad waved from, as he drove out of her life. So absent father and barely there mother, or more like barely CARE mother.

***THERE IS LIKELY GOING TO BE SPOILERS IN THE REST OF THIS REVIEW***

As the book starts Mercedes says she's doing Evan Brown's girlfriend a favor. A favor that his girlfriend will neve
Christy
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars!

photo IMG_2873_zpsrrqdsmmn.png

When I read the synopsis for this book, I was intrigued to read it, but also a little bit nervous. I could tell it was going to be one of those books I either loved or hated. It's safe to say, I loved it. It wasn't perfect, but it was completely addicting. I had no respect for the next day when I read this book. I started it and finished it in the same sitting, staying up way past my bedtime, but it sucked me in and I couldn't put it down.

Firsts is Mercedes Ayres story. Mercedes is
Aly Locatelli
DNF @ 90%

BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

You're saying: "But you were so close!"

And I'm saying: "But ISSUES."

So here's the thing: the premise of Firsts promised an original, intriguing plot line, an unlikeable heroine and a direct take on todays issues. Which, at first, we got. Mercedes takes virginities, instructing guys on the dos and don'ts, so that they are able to give their girlfriends the best first night possible. Cheating aside, I was totally on board with Mercy's personality, how unlikeable she c
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

**ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

I switch out my lamp and stare at the ceiling in the dark, taking a series of shaky breaths. I know that it’s better this way, being the one in control. The one in control calls the shots, and the one in control sets the pace.
Most important of all, the one in control doesn’t get hurt.

I’d be lying if I said this is something that I would have read had I found it on my own…but seeing the type of things being said about it paired wi
Rose
Initial reaction: I'm sorely in the minority of opinions about this book, but I'm sitting here in the aftermath of this book thinking, in gif form:

Saywhatnow

My outrage is less about the situation Mercy finds herself in for the latter part of the novel (which is messy, but I figured it would go that route) and has more to do with the complete misrepresentation of consent, cheating and rape (via coerced consent and blackmail) that this novel puts forward. Also, sexual stereotypes abound. It really pissed me
Inge
Firsts is a unique book in many ways, and not one I expected to like as much as I did. I am incredibly uncomfortable about the notion of teenagers having sex – I know, I know, it’s ridiculous, but it just feels… no. Go back to playing Pokémon. No, I know everyone is ready at a different age and that’s completely fine – I just don’t want to hear about it or see it. So when I saw the premise of this book, I was hesitant and curious at the same time. I wanted to see how such an idea would be execut ...more
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley.)

“Tonight, I’m doing Evan Brown’s girlfriend a favour. An awkward, sweaty, fumbling favour. Melanie, or whatever her name is, owes me big time.”

This was quite an interesting story about one girl and her de-virginising service.

Mercedes seemed to have good intentions by sleeping with boys so that their first times with their girlfriends were special, but I’m not really s
Giselle
An unsolicited Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review.

Oh Mercedes..She was misguided from the very beginning. From the moment she realized she could "help" virgin boys, to romance their girlfriends when they ended up doing the deed together. A perfect system she created so boys could learn. The entire time I'm thinking it's going to blow up in her face. It was so wrong.. And her heart might have been in the right place, but it wasn't. I felt so much for her. I knew she was
Megan Johnson
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting book - Not really suitable to children! It's a newer age story that a real life 'Easy A' if you ask me.

Not really my kind of book, but it fit the bill for the time being.
Jeanne
Trigger Warnings: This book contains 2 rape scenes (coerced consent) and one attempted rape that involves a violent physical assault. The main character makes a bulimia joke, at the expense of her mothers in a scene that trivializes eating disorders. Consent is completely misrepresented, twice the main character explicitly tells boys to ignore consent. Physical assault :the main character slaps a boy in the face, but dismisses it as okay because “he likes it when I’m rough.”

The Trouble with the
TL
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it

Buddyread with the lovely Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*:)

Read Shelby's thoughts on the book here. She has a different opinion on it but that's cool... if we all loved the same things it would be a boring world indeed, head over and give her some love :)
~~~~

I received this via Goodreads FirstReads giveaway in an exchange for an honest review.

Well..

Indeed... I surprised myself by loving this

Good you job you sneaky book :)

One of the best YA books I've read in awhile... the old but true saying
Sophie
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

Ever since I discovered the Sixteen to Read Twitter account, I have had this book on my tbr wish list, and couldn't not request it fast enough when I noticed it was on NetGalley. First of all, thank you so much, St. Martin's Griffin, for allowing me the opportunity to read this amazing book.

Firsts had a real 'Easy A' vibe about it: if you liked that movie, you should love this book. The MC, Me
Dahlia
I don't wanna rate this yet (ETA: screw it, I came back and gave it 5 stars because it's really not likely I'm gonna give it anything less) because I was so desperate to finish it and see what happens before I had to put my phone away for the weekend that I just skimmed the last quarter, but holy shit. I can't even believe this got published, but I am so, so glad that it did. I honestly had secret fears this would be done the same way a lot of books with really controversial-sounding main charac ...more
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Thank you St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Surprisingly, I really enjoyed this book. It's well written, daring, thought provoking and one of a kind story that we don't usually see in a young adult book. For a YA novel, it is a little mature. I don't really mind sex in YA but with the issues tackled here, you must keep an open mind about it.

Mercedes / Mercy offers to have sex with virgin guys. She teaches them what to do or not to do on sex
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
4.5 bitchin' stars

It's like this book had claws that reached out and hooked me from right after I read the synopsis.

I freaking loved it. The whole premise of it. Quite frankly teenage boys and many men need help making sex good for their partner , especially that first time so I liked Mercedes idea. No of course I didn't like the boyfriends cheating and giving their first times to someone other than their girlfriends but then they were trying to do it for a good reason, even if it was misplace
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
This review was originally posted on BC Tuesdays at Of Pens and Pages.

Based on the book cover, I had no idea what to expect other than the fact that it's a young adult. So, high school, love, conflict. Check, check, check.

Firsts is so much more than that though. It gives us a glimpse of flawed people and their life choices, and the ups and downs of high school. The book doesn't justify it; it gives it to us as it is. The book also shows the reality of the double standards in society. How slut-sh
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃

Hero: 9/10
Humour: 1/10
Hotness: 1/10
Romance: 3/10
Extra book Details: Heroine POV; 1st person. Stand alone.

Firsts is well written high-school novel about Mercy, her sex life, her friends, her family, and the whole lot of trouble she gets herself in.

After a traumatic first-time, Mercy starts to sets up secret rendezvous' with her virginal high-school classmates with the aim to tutor
Drew
Oct 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
You know those books that have lots of potential but don't live up to your expectations? Well, this was one of them.

I was intrigued by the summary, which promised another high school-themed story with a unique twist, this time dealing with mature themes. I was hoping for a dark, intricate look into a teenage girl's screwed-up mind who was sorting through tough issues. I guess I was expecting something similar to the kind of nasty evilness Courtney Summers would cook up.

I expected wrong.

Mercy, th
Lala BooksandLala
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Firsts is a story about a girl who invites virgins into her room to show them the ropes, to learn from her, and to bring their newly found confidence back to their girlfriends, in order to then give THEM a great first time.

Of course things get messy and complicated, and Mercedes starts to have conflicting thoughts regarding how others are perceiving her and if she is making the right choices, all while discovering her own sexual desires.

There were many important discussions about slut shaming, t
Jessica Folded Between the Pages of Books
This book was so problematic. First, I thought a book about a girl coaching guys through their first times would be a lot more sex positive. But instead we get Mercy slut-shaming herself for "giving herself" to so many guys. Ugh.

And then there were the problems with consent. I almost quit 3% in at this tidbit:

"What would you do if I was Melody?"
"I'd tell you you were beautiful," he says, "I'd ask if I could touch them."
"Right and wrong," I say. "You're always right to tell a girl she's beauti
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Relationships, friends, sex, high-school, family.

I'm a bit torn about this one, there was a lot that I definitely did not like at all. But at the same time I found it difficult to put it down and it tackled some important and difficult issues. Then there were the times when it just plain sucked and made me so angry.

What I don't understand is why the police were at no point involved. Based on this book: America, your teachers suck. We had child abuse, exploitation, blackmail and underage
ambsreads
“Virginity is supposed to be something a girl gives up only when she is ready and feels comfortable, something a girl discusses at length with her friends and flip-flops over a million times in her mind before actually doing it. A guy is expected to be born ready.”

Firsts was a book in with pretty low expectations despite some of the glowing ratings. The concept seemed off to me since it was basically condoning cheating. I understand the want for wanting to give girls a great first time because m
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya, z2015, ebook
* I received an arc in exchange for an honest review.

I certainly did not expect to like this book as much as I did. To say the plot made me uncomfortable would be an understatement. Cheating is a big no-no for me and so when I read the synopsis for this book, I was hesitant but certainly intrigued.

Mercedes slept with guys who were in relationships. She had good intentions but I still disliked the fact that she did it. Despite all of that though, I liked Mercedes. She was likeable and I could s
Trina (Between Chapters)
Dec 29, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF at page 50.

Wanted to read this because it's quite an attention grabbing premise and I was curious. The situation proved to be too unbelievable for me. I didn't believe that anyone involved would have ever thought this was a good idea, and I didn't believe she was actually teaching the boys anything from how closed off she seemed to be.

I just disliked the character motivations in the 3+ sex scenes I witnessed and ultimately felt like no matter where the story went, this was not something I fe
Michelle Andreani
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really, really, really enjoyed Mercedes's journey. After being let down by the people she trusted, seeing her grow despite of that (because of that?) was so satisfying and such a pleasure. Warning: You will want to hug her many, many times. Also, she's a science nerd! Chemistry, even! I loved that so very much.

My biggest compliment to this book is I'm still, days later, wrangling my thoughts about it! There is lots to dig into and talk about. It's a bold story, and one I'm glad people will be
Mary
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Edgy, daring book. These are the first words in my mind when trying to describe Firsts. Mercedes is a high school senior who is doing something extremely unconventional: she’s sleeping with male virgins, in the hopes that this will prepare them for when they have sex with their girlfriends, in order to give them the perfect “first time”, something that she didn’t experience for herself. But secrets like these never stay hidden for too long and Mercedes eventually finds herself caught in her own ...more

• How Willa Got Her Groove Back (Creative HeArts, #2; Willa and Finn, #1)
  • Red Ink
  • After Everything
  • Cam Girl
  • Get Happy
  • Bad Boy
  • Breaking the Ice (Juniper Falls, #2)
  • The Divine Spark: A Graham Hancock Reader
  • Just Visiting
  • Frayed
  • The Year We Fell Apart
  • Fireflies
Laurie Elizabeth (L.E.) Flynn is the author of Firsts (a YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults pick), Last Girl Lied To, and All Eyes On Her (2020). She is also the author of Wattpad featured series The Boys Tell All. Her other short fiction has been named a finalist for the John Kenneth Gailbraith Literary Award.

Flynn is a former model who worked in Tokyo, Athens, and Paris. She now lives in London

But what I realized after Tommy is that they're not. They're just as scared as their girlfriends, maybe even more so because the onus is on them to be gentle, make it last, make it memorable. And most of them haven't a clue.”
11 likes
“I want to be just fast enough for Zach to have to run to catch up, because if I stay ahead, I won't ever have to see his retreating back.” 6 likes