Start by marking “The Curious Case of the Copper Corpse (Flavia de Luce, #6.5)” as Want to Read:
The Curious Case of the Copper Corpse  (Flavia de Luce, #6.5)

The Curious Case of the Copper Corpse

(Flavia de Luce #6.5)

Murder! the letter says, Come at once. Anson House, Greyminster, Staircase No. 3. How can Flavia de Luce resist such an urgent plea? After all, examining a dead body sounds like a perfectly splendid way to spend a Sunday. So Flavia hops upon her trusted bicycle, Gladys, whose rubber tires hiss happily along the rainy road, and arrives at her father’s mist-shrouded old scho ...more
Published December 9th 2014 by Bantam (first published December 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Curious Case of the Copper Corpse, please sign up.
Flavia D I will happily read this ebook especially if this will be the only way to do so, but I would prefer that it also make it to print. Can't wait to read…moreI will happily read this ebook especially if this will be the only way to do so, but I would prefer that it also make it to print. Can't wait to read another Flavia mystery.(less)
Alan Bradley The Curious Case of the Copper Corpse was published in its UK Kindle edition on February 26th, and should now be readily available. Let me know if it…moreThe Curious Case of the Copper Corpse was published in its UK Kindle edition on February 26th, and should now be readily available. Let me know if it works!(less)

Jeffrey Keeten
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
”The thing in the tub was not a statue, but a man—a dead man, and a naked one at that. Save for his face, he seemed to have been carved out of copper.”

Flavia de Luce has been summoned for an investigation. This is the first time she has been asked to investigate a case. Usually she stumbles upon a corpse and can’t resist the urge to inveigle herself into the situation until she finds the clues that lead to the resolution. She's precocious and frequently finds herself in trouble with the local co
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Fun to read if you like Flavia de Luce, but the problem I see about this very short story is that the crime isn't that bloody interesting and the ending a letdown. But Flavia is Flavia, sometimes I forget that she is only 11-years old. But she is so smart and her thoughts in this short story, how she solved the case etc. is the things that make it readable. She is just so...precocious!
Anne Goldschrift
Okay, naja, über die Sinnhaftigkeit dieser Kurzgeschichte lässt sich streiten...
Heather
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
A short, very short story. Point proven that a character as rich as Flavia can not possibly fit within the confines of a short story. Mr. Bradley, really?
LJ
First Sentence: I was peering through the microscope at the tooth of an adder I had captured behind the coach house that very morning after church, when there came a light knock at the laboratory door.

It’s not every day Flavia is summoned to her father’s old school. Upon arriving, she finds a terrified boy and a bathtub containing a naked man covered in copper. It’s time for Flavia to get to work.

Bradley’s wonderful descriptions and excellent dialogue explain exactly why one can’t help but love
Beth
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I miss my little friend when she's not available...so this short story was fun to read. I'm actually not much of a short story fan, but I find that when they related to characters I've already developed a fondness for, then it's sort of like having a small dessert every now and again.

This time, Flavia has been summoned from a student at the boy's school. Murder has already been done, but who is it? Can Flavia figure out the case and avoid getting caught? Since trouble tends to follow her like a
Tiffy
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Flavia De Luce short story. She's up to what she does best. Loved this.
Jaline
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: xx2017-completed
In the number 6.5 spot of the series, this is a short story and it clips along at a fast pace. In no time flat, little miss Flavia has the whole thing sorted with the help of her discernment, sound reasoning, and of course - her brilliant grasp of all things chemistry. (As in the periodic tables kind). A fun read even though it was short.
Nancy
I never thought a Flavia book would come to this. I LOVE the Flavia series. But this little 'in-betweener' seemed pointless. Benign, but pointless. Someone else said "Point proven that a character as rich as Flavia can not possibly fit within the confines of a short story." I would say in a story as short as this. Sadly, I just wasn't feeling it.
Jeanette
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an escapade of Flavia spending an hour or two in the local Boys' School due to emergency note implications for seeking "HELP". It's highly enjoyable if you have read the series and know the full context to Flavia's chemistry summations. It reminded me of Sherlock in his deductions from personal clothing or scuffs on the pants' legs to event origination.

This is what a short story should be, IMHO. And I disagree completely that this didn't give enough depth to Flavia's character and onus
Kevin
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, short-story, mystery, ya
Short story about Flavia's first case as a paid consulting detective. Fast fun read.
Annie
Netterweise kriegt man auch mal was für 0 EUR bei Amazon angeboten. Und netterweise gehört es zu einer Reihe, die man sowieso gerne liest.
Einziger Nachteil hierbei: Kurzgeschichten sind viel zu kurz.
Carol
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Second Read: My hubby is a HUGE Flavia de Luce fan. So I took a copy of this story with us on our travels, and read it aloud so we could both enjoy it. It was a lot of fun to read with him. This was a rather short story. It takes advantage of the fact that most people are already going to be familiar with Flavia and her surroundings and gets right to the point. It was interesting that Flavia's reputation has led her to be consulted in a murder mystery, and the murder mystery itself was a little ...more
Brooke
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-reads
3.5!

How did I not know about this story?!

Delightful Flava as always. I love her so much!

This is obviously a very short story (27 pages) and therefore doesn’t have the same detail as his other stories, but it still has that feel of unique quirkiness and charm that comes from a wonderful lead and side characters. I found the mystery to be intriguing and I can’t wait to pick up Bradley’s newest that came out earlier this year!
Laura Noggle
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Happened to pick this up on a whim after seeing a review by a fellow GR member.

Loved the artwork and idea of it better than the book itself, although it wasn’t horrible.

I’m guessing I would have liked it a lot more if I’d been previously familiar with the series. Not the best book to jump in on—as with many short stories—it left me wanting more details and context.
Annie
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quick, like 30 minutes quick, read of Flavia being Flavia.

"“I’m sorry,” Plaxton whispered, averting his eyes. “This is probably no place for a girl.” “Girl be blowed!” I snapped. “I’m here as a brain, not as a female.”"

Summer Reading Challenge - A Book You Can Finish In Less than A Week
Carl V.
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Flavia de Luce is in her favorite spot, her chemistry lab, when a note arrives at the hands of Dogger, proclaiming Murder! and asking that she come immediately to Anson House, the boy’s school which her father attended in his younger days.

Never one to resist a mystery, or a dead body, Flavia summons Gladys and sets off immediately.

Upon her arrival she discovers a corpse in a bathtub and a very upset young boy.

Will she solve the mystery before the body is discovered by the authorities?

This is Fla
Natashia
A very very short short story.
I love Flavia, the books about her belongt to my favourites but I don't think she fits into a short story. It was okay, Flavia is nifty as always, the story is a bit macabre as always and she solves the case with her chemical knowledge as always. But it felt a bit unnatural to read it because it all seemed to be a bit rushed. And - at least to me - the solution to the case was pretty obvious right from the beginning because such a short story just doesn't permit eno
Dorie
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Flavia de Luce is a wonderful character, a 11-year old amateur sleuth who is also quite a skilled young chemist. This series is set in the English countryside in the 1950's. Flavia is a very precocious and intelligent child who is at constant battle with her two older sisters. This publication is a short story where Flavia is called to a boy's school in order to investigate the dead body of a teacher.

If you've been curious about this series but didn't want to invest in reading a whole novel, thi
Chance Lee
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a very short short story starring everyone's favorite 11-year-old poisons expert, Flavia de Luce. A student at the local boys' academy calls on Flavia to investigate a very unique murder. The details of the death are interesting, but the case is resolved quite quickly.

There is a nice use of language here and there, like a knife used for "crumpets and correspondence," and Flavia's brusque attitude is always good for a laugh. "I needed to take it easy on this boy. He was, after all, not mu
Joshua Gross
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a rather short story. It takes advantage of the fact that most people are already going to be familiar with Flavia and her surroundings and gets right to the point. It was interesting that Flavia's reputation has led her to be consulted in a murder mystery, and the murder mystery itself was a little weird. The pacing was fast, the suspects were lined up in front of us, and after a bit of snooping Flavia puts it all together and confronts the person who needs to be confronted, solving th ...more
Deborah aka Reading Mom
Short, but oh so sweet. Flavia does it again. I was reading it in the middle of the night (as soon as the pre-order arrived on my Kindle) and trying not to laugh out loud and wake my sleeping husband. If Flavia takes after her "literary" dad, Alan Bradley, he must have a wicked sense of humour! It ended too soon. Good thing there is a full-length Flavia due in January :-). I couldn't give more than 3 stars simply because the story was too short for adequate development.
Gaetano
Sep 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tratto da una raccolta di gialli ambientati a scuola, questo racconto breve non è riuscito ad appassionarmi neanche un po’.

Quanta differenza con i precedenti romanzi della serie di Flavia de Luce!

Anche la trama sembra forzata e confusionaria, forse per provare a condensare un insolito delitto in poche pagine.

Evitabilissimo, anche per gli irriducibili appassionati della serie.
Melanie
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
Very short and very sweet. Long live Flavia.
Ashley
Short story set between books six and seven. It was cute but ultimately weightless.
Melanie
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well done Flavia deLuce short story.
Steph
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
First Flavia novel that I haven't listened to the audiobook so something was a bit lacking. Having said that, it was still a fun little read.
Dany
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars. A super short story between books six and seven. The plot wasn't too elaborated and it was a bit improbable, but still, I love reading anything involving Flavia.
Weronika Zimna
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Now that was a really disappointing short story. Mediocre. Bradley can do better.
Nicole
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fun little snippet. Obviously, at less than 30 pages there is not a whole lot of story happening here, but I enjoyed it.
  • Beekeeping for Beginners (Mary Russell, #1.5)
  • Twelfth Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.6)
  • An Old Betrayal (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #7)
  • Dandy Gilver & A Deadly Measure of Brimstone (Dandy Gilver #8)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • Ruth's First Christmas Tree  (Ruth Galloway, #4.5)
  • The Agony Column
  • Hangman Blind (Abbess of Meaux, #1)
  • The Face in the Mirror (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #11.5)
  • The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla (Pink Carnation, #11)
  • Murder and Mendelssohn (Phryne Fisher, #20)
  • Twelve Drummers Drumming (Father Christmas Mystery #1)
  • A Double Death on the Black Isle
  • The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes, #5)
  • The Three Monarchs (Sherlock Holmes, #1.5)
  • The Case of the Missing Moonstone (The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency, #1)

With an education in electronic engineering, Alan worked at numerous radio and television stations in Ontario, and at Ryerson Polytechnical Institute (now Ryerson University) in Toronto, before becoming Director of Television Engineering in the media centre at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, where

Flavia de Luce (10 books)
  • The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1)
  • The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (Flavia de Luce, #2)
  • A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3)
  • I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (Flavia de Luce, #4)
  • Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5)
  • The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce, #6)
  • As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (Flavia de Luce, #7)
  • Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce, #8)
  • The Grave's a Fine and Private Place (Flavia de Luce, #9)
  • The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce #10)
“Girl be blowed!” I snapped. “I’m here as a brain, not as a female.” 17 likes
“It is no longer enough simply to solve crimes: We modern private detectives must also be able to come up with catchy names for our cases.” 5 likes