Start by marking “An Introduction to Old Norse” as Want to Read:
An Introduction to Old Norse

An Introduction to Old Norse

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The first edition of this standard work was published in 1927 and has been reprinted several times. This second edition has been revised and reset and the saga Hrafnkels saga freysgooa is now included in its entirety. The work is now available for the first time in paperback.
Published July 23rd 1981 by Oxford University Press (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about An Introduction to Old Norse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Introduction to Old Norse

Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is completely surpassed by Anthony Faulkes' New Introduction To Old Norse, but is still interesting for its historical value and is one of those quirky old oddities that must be owned.
Mar 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old-friends
My junior year of college I did a study abroad at Oxford, primarily because they offered Old Norse, and I wanted to translate an Icelandic Saga as my senior project. I took a tutorial on ON with professor Clarington, and spent many hours huddled over this text, slowly deciphering "Hrafnkells Saga", and it was the beginning of the many years I would spend labouring over icelandic dictionaries - translating "Ragnars Saga Lodbrokar" my senior year, a year in Reykjavik, and now my slow laborious wor ...more
Not really a "teach yourself" kind of book - more of a text reference for a course with an experienced tutor. Nevertheless, some of my first real experience with my ancestral language came from this book, which was a Yuletide gift from Heather.
ocell de foc
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: linguistics
It is a really interesting edition to introduce yourself in the world of the Norse literature and the history of the vikings (especially the preface and introduction). I find myself delighted when historical figures such as Ragnar Loðbrók, Floki (the viking who gave name to the country that we know today as Iceland) or Rollo are mentioned (they are main characters in the TV series 'Vikings').

The only thing to improve here, if we are talking about an introductory book, is the display of the Old
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Increasingly my most well-worn book; the glossary is thumbed brown. Perhaps I should eat less barbecue and practice better manual hygiene.

It is an old-fashioned approach to the language, there is no doubt about that! However, upon returning to it, I find that I was an impatient college student, and this dense little fellow is increasingly making himself apparent to me. The fault, as it turns out, is not in the stars, or the book, for that matter.
Jacques Bromberg
Oct 15, 2006 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Gordon's introduction to Old Norse remains a standard in the field. A well-selected anthology of prose and poetry (including Skaldic verse), with detailed notes, and a comprehensive grammar and glossary make this an ideal choice for beginning and intermediate readers. Check out the acknowledgements for a shout-out to Oxford don J. R. R. Tolkien!
Jul 16, 2015
  • Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary
  • 501 German Verbs
  • Hammer's German Grammar and Usage
  • A History of the Vikings
  • Beowulf and the Critics (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Vol. 248)
  • Laxdæla Saga
  • Hálendið
  • The Vikings
  • The Lore and Language of Schoolchildren
  • The Penguin Historical Atlas of the Vikings
  • Children in Reindeer Woods
  • The Vikings
  • Old English and Its Closest Relatives: A Survey of the Earliest Germanic Languages
  • The Translator's Invisibility: A History of Translation