Start by marking “Broken Mercies” as Want to Read:
Broken Mercies

Broken Mercies

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Musician Daniel Gilchrist has decided he’s broken.

He doesn’t deserve Jeremy Evans, a sensible, sweet artist who insists they belong together. Bad choices after a hellish childhood make Dan more suited to guys like his ex-lover, a toxic mega-star who wants to resume their affair.

But Jeremy is irresistible, and he’s survived a few nightmares of his own. He challenges Dan t
Published November 24th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Broken Mercies, please sign up.
Lucy Marker Not yet, but I'm working on a sequel to Broken Mercies. Someone is trying to ruin Jeremy, and he needs to find out who before the destruction spreads…moreNot yet, but I'm working on a sequel to Broken Mercies. Someone is trying to ruin Jeremy, and he needs to find out who before the destruction spreads to hurt Danny. I'm also finishing up "No Malice," a women's fiction novel that focuses on Danny's sister Kate.(less)

Portia
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love a story where one of the main characters is broken and I as a reader can slowly watch him come to a place of healing. But as a healthcare worker, specializing in mental health, I have a hard time reading some of the poorly researched characters in popular fiction. I have no idea what Lucy Marker did prior to putting pen to paper, but I do know that she did a phenomenal job dealing with some really tough issues.

Dan and Jeremy meet in rehab. Probably not the best hook up place, but their at
Debra

This was a story with complex characters and a lot going on. Jeremy and Dan are two men each with a lifetime of hurt including, mental illness and abuse, who meet in rehab. Both men are dedicated to succeeding that although there is instant attraction, they wait before entering into a physical relationship. The story follows them trying to navigate their new relationship, past hurts and severe family issues all while hanging onto their sobriety and, for Dan especially, trying to move pa
Jewel
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Wow. So this is a case of "everybody liked it but me". Up until about 80% or so, I would have given this book 3.5 stars or so.

Up until that moment, I saw a man struggling to heal from a childhood filled with hate and abuse so bad that he took to self medicating just so he wouldn't feel. Dan did the best he could, growing up, trying to protect his younger sisters from his mom. His dad was too much of a coward to stand up for his own kids or get them away from her. So unforgivable.

And then, the s
Crystal Marie
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a tough book for me to rate because it was an inconsistent read. Some parts were so well written and beautifully polished it would lead me into the next part with high hopes, only to have that section change tone and feel half done or thrown together. Another difficulty I had is that one of the main characters, Jeremy, is beautifully drawn and I fell madly in love with him right away. The problem? The other main character, Dan, is the one who has the POV of the entire story and he seem ...more
Love Bytes Reviews
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 star review by Amber

This was a different take on other “rockstar” stories I’ve read in the past. “Broken Mercies” takes us on a journey to the underbelly of what happens when you get fortune and fame and have suffered terrible abuse as a child. This book was incredibly painful but I loved watching both main characters heal and grow throughout the story.

Dan Gilchrist is a famous singer/songwriter. He fell into extreme alcoholism due to the fact that he was terribly abused by his mother througho
Joyfully Jay
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

The story starts us out with a 13-year-old Dan hiding once again from his abusive mother. The writing and Dan’s character stood out from the first page and you just know Dan has a long road ahead of him. We then catch up with Dan 30 years later and certainly a lot has happened to him. One slip found him back in rehab and meeting Jeremy. The instant connection between the men is apparent and Dan certainly deserves one good thing in life, only he doesn’t think so.

On
Marinieves Cordero
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book. The way Ms. Marker approaches the situation with the past of Daniel and Jeremy's family is done from the point of view of needing forgiveness from oneself in order to move forward.

The background of mental illness is a difficult subject to communicate but in this book is clear that is something that needs to be treated.

Daniel and Jeremy's relationship is a slow progress and that I like ... Being friends first then falling in love ...

This is a good book to read and b
Riina Y.T.
Highly enjoyable! Admirable writing... definitely going to come back for more from Lucy Marker.

Angela Goodrich
I have never really considered myself to be a reader with a trigger. I may have read a few books in my time that made me uncomfortable initially or that I had to stop reading because I couldn’t stomach the content, but it’s been years since a book has elicited such a response. That said, I was not prepared for the subject matter that Broken Mercies covered because there was nothing in the blurb that indicated that the main characters were in rehab for addictions. The combination of their time in ...more
R. Glenn  Guillory
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have an ALEXA, AMAZON ECHO machine, and Alexa can read to me. It took me two full days to listen to this novel being read. I was impressed with the depth of knowledge Lucy Marker has about mental health, illness, alcoholism, dysfunctional families, and PTSD. Her characters have a lot of baggage from alcohol, abuse, and even the Roman Catholic Church. The story continually moves along at a good clip and is amazingly almost ALL DIALOGUE. There are a few narrative passages but most of this novel ...more
W.S. Long
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heavy, angtsy read

This book touches on heavy subjects: abuse, religion, depression, alcoholism. Jeremy is a beautifully drawn character. Dan is imperfect. Together they find love. This book may not be for everyone. It gets heavy in parts. The hardest part of writing a book with heavy subjects is that the reader get too wrapped in the psychological therapy aspects of the storytelling. Luckily the plot addresses these issues without bogging the reader and Dan and Jeremy prove that love may be the
Joe Cosentino
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dan and Jeremy are such fully realized characters that I feel as if I know them. A la ex-President Clinton, I felt their pain. I also felt their attraction, and I understood why they did the things they did throughout the story. And what a heart-breaking story of substance abuse, using religion as a weapon for bigotry against others (pertinent to today), child abuse, and self-destructive behaviors. Throughout the pain, however, is a beautiful love story I thoroughly enjoyed.
Regencyfan93
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
Parts of the book were didactic about religion and mental illness. I enjoyed seeing how Daniel and Jeremy cared for each other's pain.
Nicole