Start by marking “BIG WAR, Little Wars” as Want to Read:
BIG WAR, Little Wars

BIG WAR, Little Wars

4.92  ·  Rating details ·  12 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
"Daddy said that nobody really wins a war. They only make it look that way."

While World War II--the Big War--rages overseas, war-weary civilians on the home front endure sacrifices as they experience their own conflicts, the Little Wars.

Teenager Milla Jaeger questions the war and the rules that war triggers. She misses her family's life in the Wisconsin countryside before
Published July 22nd 2014 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about BIG WAR, Little Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about BIG WAR, Little Wars

Yuuki Nakashima
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Basically I don't watch or read war stories. But this book doesn't focus on the war field; it's about a family during the war. I worried that I might read something that is unpleasant for Japanese people, but I didn't. Of course, it mentions Japan and Japanese people, but this novel doesn't see Japan just as an enemy.
The story itself was interesting. Some mysteries about the main character Milla were explained at some point and they made sense.
What I found out was the lives of American people d
Sue J
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, especially history teachers and their students
I so enjoyed your book, it's so well written and interesting. I want to find out what happens to Milla....I wanted it to just keep on going. I love how each chapter is like a snapshot from various aspects of the war. The quote from the newspaper in the beginning of each chapter interweaves with the story and adds such a depth of experience. I love how good but not perfect the characters are. I love the tension, but not too much. Teachers, you must read this book. I also love your writing style. ...more
Ali
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful!! It was a quick read that was very relatable and engaging. I learned a lot about the war and the lives affected by it. I couldn't wait to find out what happened to all of the characters and found their daily endeavors fascinating. Thank you for writing such a great book that was my first read of 2015! I will definitely recommend this book to friends, family, and co-workers!
Carol Bowers
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great reading. Part of the book is based on my father-in-law who is the basis for the Raymie character and pictured on the cover. It is such smooth reading and told from a young girl's perspective. In reading it, I learned how lives changed at home from job availability to death and return of family members. I thoroughly recommend this book. Arlene's type of writing keeps you interested even if history is not your forte.
Reddbirdd
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written from the unique perspective of a Wisconsin girl during the years of WWII, this book draws you in and doesn't let you down. We've all read the history books but seldom have we had the opportunity to look at this time period through the eyes of a young family member. I'm so grateful that the author had the insight to share this. Young adults will find this book relatable and enlightening. It's a must read for people of all ages!
Debra Jeakins
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was in love with this book after reading the first sentence. Milla (whose view the story is told) could be any child living in the US during WWII. The books author made sure we became Milla. From Milla's family to her best friend Tami the Japanese-American being shunned by her neighbors, to Lee, Milla's love. I enjoyed every second of the book and hope to find more stories by this author.
Jennifer O'melia
Kate Robinson
Katelyn Plant
Mar 23, 2017
Arlene Eisenbise
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Amber Polo
Tasha
Ms. Reader
Kris
Nov 06, 2014
A Wisconsin native, Arlene writes novels that allow her fictional characters to experience historical events for education and entertainment.

She studied Creative Writing, Freelance Writing, and Literature at the University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, the School of the Arts at Rhinelander, and at The Clearing in picturesque Door County. Arlene diverted her desire to play the piano to the challenge
More about Arlene Eisenbise...

“Daddy said that nobody really wins a war. They only make it look that way.” 0 likes