Start by marking “The Defence” as Want to Read:
The Defence

The Defence

(Eddie Flynn #1)

The truth has no place in a courtroom. The truth doesn't matter in a trial.

The only thing that matters is what the prosecution can prove.

Eddie Flynn used to be a con artist. Then he became a lawyer. Turned out the two weren't that different.

It's been over a year since Eddie vowed never to set foot in a courtroom again. But now he doesn't have a choice. Olek Volchek, the in
Published March 26th 2015 by Orion (first published March 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Defence, please sign up.
Steve Cavanagh The first book in the series is The Defense. The Plea is the second book in the series. There is a novella, called The Cross, which isn't a prequel…moreThe first book in the series is The Defense. The Plea is the second book in the series. There is a novella, called The Cross, which isn't a prequel really but it is set in a period of time before the events in The Defense take place. Hope that answers your question. (less)

Paromjit
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first thrill ride of a legal thriller featuring lawyer and con artist Eddie Flynn set in New York. I have read the other two, and loved them, and this one is just as great. Eddie has not been practicing law after the overwhelming guilt he feels after defending Ted Berkley and getting him acquitted of attempting to abduct Hanna Tublowski, only for him to go on to savagely assault and rape her later. He is separated from his wife, Christine, and living for the times he gets to see his ...more
Bibi
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, thriller
I'm on a Cavanagh binge, having read three of his books in less than a fortnight, and The Defense was a gripping edge-of-your-seat thriller featuring our hero -con artist turned lawyer- Eddie Flynn. If you like Jack Reacher then this series is a must read!
Paul O'Neill
This was a blast...

This was a fast paced, action / legal thriller which jump started from the first page and didn't let up until the end. Good for some escapism but I don't think I'll remember much of it in a couple of months time.

It was still a solid read and I'll be reading the next one. It's like Matthew Reilly crossed with John Grisham. Good for some escapism but it'll never get a full five stars or be that memorable. Who's knows, maybe the books further on in the series get better.
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Wow!!!! I'm on a roll with great books this year and The Defence is another one that's blown me away!!!

I love manly books. You know, the kinds of books that are full of action, conspiracies, violence and so on (Jack Reacher and the like basically)! The Defence was definitely up there as regards a thrill-a-minute read!

I start books at night when I go to bed as it's the longest uninterrupted reading time for me so I know when I get to some 30-odd percent that I'm well hooked by a book. I went to
Alan Cotterell
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Rivetting

Having read Thirteen, I knew I had to read the rest of the series. Sometimes that can be a mistake, but not this time. Right from the first page you get pulled in by the action. As Eddie goes to the rest room and gets a gun pointed at his head.  The Russian mafia have a strange way of asking for help! There are various other “incentives”, but I will leave those for you to discover.

The situation seems helpless and there is no way this can end well, but Eddie was a con man/hustler and has
Carolyn
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Defense gripped me from the first page and was a compelling courtroom/action drama. The thrills, action and intrigue never let up. I was riveted by its intensity throughout. Although this was the first of a series, any of the Eddie Flynn crime novels can be read as a stand-alone.

Eddie was an expert con-man before becoming a lawyer. He was accomplished in such skills as swindler, grifter, and sleight of hand artist. After becoming a lawyer he felt the two occupations had a lot in common. He
Christine
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Believe the rumours about this one! The Defence is a terrific court room action packed drama. And it has the most lovely intriguing central character in rough around the edges, Eddie Flynn.

The story follows Eddie Flynn in a crazy couple of days of his life. He is forced back to his job as a lawyer, after a year off drowning his sorrows in booze. His daughter is held hostage and he must defend in court a very guilty Russian Mafia boss, Volchek. Plus he has a bomb strapped to him. Eddie isn’t your
Liz Barnsley
Ok so The Defence then. Another book I have been very lucky to get my hands on ever so early, but I can promise you it is definitely worth the wait ESPECIALLY if, like me, you have been pretty starved lately of a good courtroom drama.

With “The Defence” Steve Cavanagh manages to pull off not only a terrific courtroom drama, but also a bit of an edge of the seat thriller, some witty and darkly humerous moments and a character you will fall in love with.

Eddit Flynn is a mess and at first glance you
debra
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am definitely in the minority here. Did not love it. I liked Eddie's character and his v original and varied skill set. Especially enjoyed Eddie's ingenious courtroom skills- and wondered why he was scrounging cases and not a super-star lawyer with his dazzling legal capabilities(that being the most minor of logical sacrifices the plot required). Maybe there was too much suspension of disbelief added to characters with wide-ranging super hero abilities for me to completely engage.
Raven
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Okay, as they say over the water, here’s the thing. I don’t do legal thrillers. As a rule they bore me intensely, and I’ve dabbled in the genre with little success. I’m the type of gal who only watches half of Law and Order. The first half, thus for me, the interesting half, where crimes are perpetrated and people get attacked or murdered. I have little patience for posturing people in judicial wigs or designer suits, impressing no-one but themselves within the confines of the courtroom. BUT a s ...more
Tracy Fenton
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Steve Cavanagh sent me a signed copy of The Defence about 18 months ago for my signed bookshelf and my husband (who doesn't read) opened the post and saw the cover. Now I'm not judging my husband - after all he married me so he must have good taste - but I think the words "Con Artist, Lawyer, Liar, Husband, Drunk, Father" obviously appealed to Mr F - so he asked me if he could read it! Now, I'm all for sharing the love of reading, but NO ONE touches my signed book collection, so I downloaded a c ...more
Erin *Help I’m Reading and I Can’t Get Up*
How did this book get such high ratings? Maybe courtroom dramas just aren't my thing. I didn't enjoy the writing, the plot was wildly unbelievable, and the villains were cartoonish (they actually functioned as narrators, describing exactly what was happening and why-- you know, how criminal masterminds are usually so forthcoming and honest). 1 star, DNF.
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Reviewed on www.snazzybooks.com

The Defence by Steve Cavanagh is a fast paced and tense legal thriller which follows lawyer Flynn as he tries to save his daughter's life. This may sound like a pretty run of the mill 'thriller' storyline, but this novel felt to me a lot more cut throat and tense than others I've read. Firstly, the stakes are really high- his ten year old daughter has been kidnapped andthreatened with death. They even specify the horrific things they'll do to his daughter if he doe
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
4 1/2 stars- great debut novel!
My View:
Hang up your disbelief on the rack by the door, show me your membership to the thriller enthusiasts club and then take a few calming deep breaths; commence reading. But before you start I have a duty of care to warn you, take heed of my advice, it is not given lightly; this book will thrill, captivate and enthral you. Clear your diary because once you start reading this you will not be able to put this down until the last page is turned and whilst you have
Diabolica
No words. I loved this one too much, I'm afraid that if I say anything I'll ruin it.
The Cats Mother
I bought this because I’ve seen lots of positive reviews about this series, and have Thirteen, which is book four of the series, on my NetGalley TBR, and wanted to at least read the first book in the series before I start it. Confusingly, my NG gives a publication date of August but according to GR, Thirteen came out last year. On the strength of this I will be reading the next two first as I sense there will be recurring characters whose storylines I don’t want to miss out on.

Eddie Flynn, con-m
Marianne
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Defence is the first book in the Eddie Flynn series by Irish lawyer and author, Steve Cavanagh. Eddie Flynn used to be a con man, a hustler like his father. Then he became a lawyer, almost a street lawyer, taking the kind of cases others avoided. But his last case broke him. It drove him to drink, broke his marriage and he hasn’t been in a courtroom for a year.

Now he’s back, under extreme duress. Olek Volcheck is a Russian Mafia boss on trial for first degree murder. The FBI has a witness,
Terence M
Audio Book - 10 Hours 42 minutes - 3.0 stars out of 5.0

This was an OK read/listen, but hardly one out of the box. Generally I like legal procedural novels, but in this case I think the procedure was a bit mundane and the protagonist, a con-man turned lawyer (so there's a difference?), pretty much equally so. Inevitably it seems, some suspension of reality and/or belief is required with novels such as this one, but when, while listening to the book, one lets out an audible "what?", or "yeah, righ
Sunil Laxman
May 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I knew what I was getting into. The blurb marketed The Defense as a courtroom drama starring Eddie Flynn, a former con-artist/hustler turned lawyer, who gets forced to take the impossible case of defending a Russian mob leader over a murder he'd authorized. The plot I felt was great. These contained thrillers are a personal favorite, and it could've been so much better if it was executed to it's potential. The positives end with the plot though. I knew this would be more Suits than Jason Bourne. ...more
Maureen DeLuca
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh My ! I normally don't read that many legal type thriller books- but BOY oh BOY , am I glad I picked up this book--- I LOVE Eddie Flynn! Here we have an ex 'con artist' who turned lawyer. He is funny, witty, charming, likable and even though he does some 'not so nice things' he is lovable too!... A solid 4 star read from me but I added the other star just for the main character of Eddie Flynn.

A fast book to read- Eddie's daughter was kidnapped by some really 'bad dudes' and he must represent
Lisa-Books Smiles
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eva
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I finished Thirteen, which I didn’t realise was the fourth book in a series at the time, I knew I would go back and catch up on the previous ones as soon as I could.

In The Defence, we are introduced to Eddie Flynn, one-time conman and lawyer, although the two seem remarkably interchangeable. Once a hustler, always a hustler but Eddie is quite the likeable one and in The Defence we learn how events led him to making that step from conman to lawyer with the help of Judge Harry

The action
Tina Woodbury
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For all of my reviews: www.readingbetweenthepagesblog.wordpr...

From the very first page I was hooked…

I’d grown sloppy. That’s what happens when you go straight.
“Do exactly as I tell you or I’ll put a bullet in your spine.”

And on page 8 I said to myself – Ooooo this is going to be good!

The Defense is book one in the Eddie Flynn series and book four is to be published in May 2018. Whenever possible I prefer to start at the beginning of a series and I am incredibly happy I did because I think this
Kate
Talk about tense! Beautifully-structured and plotted courtroom drama/thriller.

Paul
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thrillers
The Defence – A Stunning Debut

The Defence is the absolute stunning debut from Steve Cavanagh who has written a breathless, pacey crime thriller with plenty of twists and turns. The Defence is a crime thriller on steroids. With such an easy writing style, Cavanagh gives us a book that is a pleasure to read as it draws you in and holds you all the way through to the conclusion. This is a fast paced thriller set around lawyer Eddie Flynn in New York City that gives us a new defective hero.

My old Gr
Ed
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eddie Flynn is a burned out attorney who gets strong armed into defending a Russian mob boss accused of murder for hire. Eddie plays ball since the bad guys have kidnapped his daughter. The twist is Eddie is also a lawyer with a unique set of skills he learned as young hustler on the streets of New York. Skills he'll need to survive and rescue his daughter. Like Russian nesting dolls, the motivations of the mob hierarchy are sub plots within sub plots taking the story to higher levels of complex ...more
Laura Rash
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hot damn! Take the best John Grisham legal thriller you’ve ever read & cross it with Michael Connelly’s Mickey Haller and this is the sweet lil baby you get! The thrill I got from reading this was like the first time I read The Firm by JG. Excellent book! Very eager to read the rest in this series!
Tara Rock
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-1/2 Stars
Aristotle
Chapter One: The Russian mob boss is on trial for murder. They kidnap Eddie's daughter then strap a bomb on him to smuggle into court so they can kill the main witness in the trial. I forgot to tell you the mobs first lawyer was Eddie's partner who they killed, cut his head off, then put it in a bag showing it to Eddie to let him know they mean business.
Whoa. Easy. What?

The plot was too far fetched to for me to really enjoy it. Too much lacking in credibility and was repetitive.
Eddie was a cool
Leah
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, new-to-me, 2015
Tick, tick, tick...

It's been a year since lawyer Eddie Flynn last stepped into a courtroom, but he has no choice when the head of the Russian mafia makes him an offer he can't refuse. With a bomb strapped to his back and his young daughter being held hostage, Eddie has to make sure Olek Volchek beats the murder rap he's facing, or else. And he only has 48 hours to do it in.

Eddie used to be a conman before he became a lawyer, and found that the skills of his earlier profession translated well to
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong page count 2 13 May 15, 2017 02:26AM

• Dead Red (Raymond Donne Mystery #3)
  • Beauty
  • No Love Lost
  • Silent Victims (Prime Suspect, #3)
  • The Boy Who Saw (Solomon Creed #2)
  • The Hunt
  • Disappear
  • The Abrupt Physics of Dying (Claymore Straker #1)
  • Those We Left Behind (DCI Serena Flanagan #1)
  • Medea's Curse (Natalie King, Forensic Psychiatrist, #1)
  • Vanished (David Raker, #3)
  • An Angel from Above
  • Whispers of the Dead (Special Tracking Unit #2)
  • Half-Past Dawn
  • Black Fridays (Jason Stafford, #1)
  • Hurt (DS Lucy Black, #2)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox, #4)
  • A Killing Moon (Damen Brook, #5)
Steve Cavanagh was born and raised in Belfast before leaving for Dublin at the age of eighteen to study Law. He currently practices civil rights law and has been involved in several high profile cases. Selected for the Amazon Rising Stars programme 2015. ACES award winner 2015 from the Arts Council of Northern Ireland. The Defence is his debut novel.

Follow on twitter @SSCav

Eddie Flynn (4 books)
  • The Plea (Eddie Flynn, #2)
  • The Liar (Eddie Flynn #3)
  • Thirteen (Eddie Flynn, #4)
“Hustling an insurance company was like playing poker with Satan—his house, his rules.” 1 likes
“What they all understood was that if they told me they were guilty but that they wanted to fight the case anyway, I could no longer represent them. That was the game.” 0 likes