Start by marking “Write About Me” as Want to Read:
Write About Me

Write About Me

(Annabelle Brown #1)

alt cover for B00JT0UG0Q

The year is 1988 and 16-year old Annabelle Brown from northern Queensland runs away from her family and friends for the bright lights of somewhere new. She ends up in Kings Cross in Sydney where her life takes some dark twists and turns. Inspired by a true family tragedy, “Write About Me” is a heart-wrenching story about a teenage runaway who doesn’
Published October 2014 by Melissa Pouliot (first published July 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Write About Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write About Me

Marianne
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Write About Me is the first novel in the Annabelle Brown series by Australian author, Melissa-Jane Pouliot. At sixteen years old, Annabelle Brown has lived through far too much for such a young girl, so it’s no surprise that voices populate her head. It’s these voices that direct her anti-social behaviour and her unwise decisions, setting her on a dangerous path, leaving home and heading to Kings Cross. Despite her inner turmoil and her disbelief in her family’s high regard for her, there are pe ...more
Fleur Ferris
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow... I couldn't put this book down. It's powerful, fascinating, heartbreaking, insightful, compelling and every family's worst nightmare. Write About Me is about a 16 year old girl who goes missing - inspired by the real life disappearance of Ursula Barwick (the author's cousin). Pouliot's personal experience, knowledge and expertise in this field shines through making this story feel too real. I highly recommend this book. Warning: this book contains adult themes & harsh language.
Stephanie Ward
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a new resident of Australia, I decided to read this book to learn more about the culture from a modern perspective. (I was getting a bit tired of dated historical fiction books.) The author absolutely delivered through vernacular, descriptions of characters in various regions and especially the vivid descriptions of life in Sydney, specifically Kings Cross in the 80s.

Write About Me is fiction, however it is based on actual events. The book revolves around a troubled teenager from Queensland
Melissa-Jane
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Write About Me is a young adult story about a teenage runaway. But it isn't just another YA story about love and boys and heartbreak and it certainly isn't fantasy.

It is an important story.

Perhaps this seems so important to me because the life of the main character Annabelle and those around her are so close to reality that they could be real people. And in fact, the story is loosely based on the disappearance of the author Melissa-Jane Pouliot's own cousin, Ursula Dianne Barwick who was last se
Annemarie
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FREE ON AMAZON! wow what a sad book.
Beth
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is based (loosely) on a true story of a missing girl and not only covers her disappearance but also the effect her being gone has on many other people. Sometimes the writing style of this book can get confusing as it constantly jumps back and forth between past and (so called) present and to the view points of the victim, her family and the people who knew her.

The sad thing is that alot of this could have been prevented (well in the story version anyhoo not sure if the real girl had th
Ti
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was recommended to me by www.bookbub.com via a daily email. It was being offered for free for a short while via Amazon. Before I even read the blurb, something about the simple, bland cover drew me in and I knew I had to read it. And soon!

I've read many tragic stories, surely din many different themes and scenarios but what struck me about this story is that it was built upon grains of truth and dealt with mental health. Interesting-you don't get many of these kinds of books.

I'm not go
Therese
This is a heartbreaking story about Annabelle Brown, a teenaged girl living in Queensland who goes missing never to be seen again although you keep hoping for a better outcome as you read this story.

Annabelle is broken, though, and no one fully knows what she has been through except her two closest friend, Anna and Bell. The only problem is that nobody can see or hear them except for Annabelle.

This book left me wanting to know more about what had happened Annabelle, her mental illness, sexual ab
Deborah
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ellen DeGeneres, this book needs to be on your show
Could not put this down, read it in one sitting! This Australian story about a teenage runaway is fiction inspired by a true story, and while reading I was left fascinated not only by the fictional story but by the author’s own missing persons tragedy. Ellen DeGeneres, take note. This author and this book need to be on your show. And while you’re at it, send it onto Oprah’s book club. I think this book should be a compulsory read for all teenage
Lisa Tortorello
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Write About Me by Melissa-Jane Pouliot was an interestingly disturbing story. "Write about me, cause I'm dead" is a line from the book that sticks with me. Though this story is fiction, it was inspired by the author's own cousin who ran away from home years ago and was never heard from again. This story takes a look at personality disorders, living on the streets, making choices, taking chances and the consequences that can result. I was intrigued also because the setting of this story is Austra ...more
Corina
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. Very sad. Not perfectly written but written from the heart.

The story of Annabelle, a 16 year old runaway who ends up in Kings Cross (Sydney, AUS) on her 17th birthday. It is inspired by a real runaway but what happens once she gets to Sydney is conjecture, not fact. That doesn't detract from the story at all, in fact it may make it a little more readable, otherwise it would be even more of a heartbreaking story.

We know from the first page that Annabelle's is not a happy ending
Matilda
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was gifted this book in 2013. I'm not too sure why I never read it back then. But deciding to go through my bookself and read the books I bought ages ago I came across this one.
I never bothered to read the blurb, I just dove right into it, and wow what a story. It wasn't like anything I was expecting (in a good way).

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Write about me tells the story of Annabelle, a 17 year old who has left home after a dispute with her mum and hitch-hikes her way to Sydney.

What's different about th
Joy
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very sad story. i really like the way Melissa mixed facts with fiction making it a real page turner. She brings awareness to the fact of some many missing and so little is done often times that many go unfound due to lack of help from authorities , the many changes taking place in things authorities are doing now to help with missing loved one like age progression .. My prayers go out to all the families with missing loved ones. I pray Ursula is found and her family get the answers they seek. Th ...more
Julie
Missing people that are never found is just sad. The fact that Annabelle was so troubled mentally, just added to it. How simple teenage misunderstandings lead to her just walking away and walking into a life that no one should lead. But it is a sad fact that some people are never found. And it is even more sad that some people are never even missed. I didn't "love" this book just because it was so sad. It would be like enjoying a book on human trafficking. You read it to be informed, not to love ...more
Lorna Sixsmith
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The fact that this was inspired by a true story really makes this book resonate with you as you're reading. I kept thinking it must have been such an emotional book for the author to write. So many issues and emotions are covered and yes, there's the "if only" moments too and things could have been so different. Not sure if "enjoyed" is the right word (as I found it a tough read) but this is definitely a book worth reading.
Sherri Westbury
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a freebie. I couldn't put it down. It's listed as a YA book but I don't feel it is...definitely dealt with adult themes. I didn't realize until the end that it's based loosely on a true story. It's a heart-wrenching tale but a very good read. To comment on what another poster wrote...those others in the book were not her imaginary friends...they were the fractions of her personality (aka multiple personalities)
Judy
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, based on a real missing person, opened up for me, the question..."where are ALL the missing people, especially the children?". Obviously the answer is, in many many different places. As always a sad situation when a loved one goes missing and made worse for the child herself by mental illness, the book is nonetheless a good read. It gives the reader a fairly clear idea of how it feels to not know where your missing loved one is and the progression over time of those feelings.
Mara
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free on Amazon Kindle

A heavy read. A bit confusing of the back and forth between characters. Based on a true story about a teen runaway in the mid 80s in Australia. The character is mentally ill and those left behind are constantly haunted by woulda coulda shoulda. This book will give me food for though for quite some time.
Belinda
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is well written and seems to be very factual. It was interesting to me in that it takes place inAustralia so there are phrases and places mentioned that I wasn't familiar with but it made the book unique. The story is about the struggle with mental illness and it's very sad. I recommend this book but be aware that it is not a "feel good" kind of read.
Kay Mcaloney
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very sad book but I couldn't put it down. I didn't realize until the end that it was based on a true story. I would rate this story a 4.5 if there were such a rating. Very well written, but made me very sad and hurting for teenagers that seem to have a hard time finding their way in the world. Such a difficult age.
❤Marie Gentilcore
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
3.5 stars. This was a really good story about Annabelle Brown, a teen girl with mental illness who ends up missing. I really liked Annabelle, I felt so helpless when she succumbed to the voices in her mind. I felt sad for the people who loved her and wanted her to come home so badly. It was a quick read and I enjoyed it very much.
Jess Meyer
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this whole series. I hate finishing these books and having to wait for the next one. They always end on a cliffhanger and keep you hanging. They are the sort of books you will read in a day. You won't be able to put them down!
Catrina Bradley
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lendle, fiction
This isn't a "feel-good" read, but is a powerful story, told from the POV's of many lives affected by a missing teen-aged girl - including her own story, Warning: this is not "G" rated, but neither is life. It is nitty-gritty and real.
Candace
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Read

This was a difficult novel to read. Because the author does such a wonderful job of describing Annabelle's journey, but also the pain and anguish of those left behind.
Nancy
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sad story that brings in all view points of the friends and family of a young teenaged girl who runs away and does not return home. It is possibly based on a true story, but just the facts that are given on runaways is heart wrenching.
Deb Graff
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written book about a very sad subject. It was hard not to think about Annabelle even when I was not reading. I didn't like the language but suppose it had to be that way to make it more realistic. Worth your time..
Florence Primrose
Interesting, but sad, story of Annabelle, a troubled 16-year-old Australian girl, who ran away to Sydney, disappeared, and was never found. Probably too often true.
Tara Fazenbaker
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't know it was based on a real story. Left me feeling quite eerie.
Kimmi Bailey
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-day-novel
Loved this book...so much to think about and ponder...wow...I learned a lot

Mandee Renaldi
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kept my attention the whole way through. very interesting story. I would recommend it. good, quick read.

• The 7th Day
  • Miles from Home: A True Story of the Choices That Define Us
  • Betty's Child
  • To Probe a Beating Heart
  • Death Waltz in Vienna
  • Forever Torn
  • The Colors of Friendship (Colors Trilogy, #1)
  • Fossil River
  • Thaw
  • Carolina Sunshower
  • Connected
  • Trail of 32: The True Story of a Youthful Spirit That Knew Not of Defeat
  • Second-Chance Mother
  • The Savant of Chelsea (The Savant of Chelsea, #1)
  • The Breakup
  • Stigma
  • Messages
  • Remembering Judith

Annabelle Brown (2 books)
  • Found
“Before she knew it, the moment was there. Slap, bang. Like the foam dropping from a fire-bombing plane onto a roaring bushfire, stopping the flames dead in their tracks. Lee had seen the backpack. She took a step back and before she could stop it, a sob worked its way from the pit of her stomach into the fresh country air. FROM Write About Me” 1 likes
“May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.’ Nelson Mandela, 1918-2013” 0 likes