Start by marking “Grottmannen (William Wisting #9)” as Want to Read:
Grottmannen (William Wisting #9)

Grottmannen

(William Wisting #9)

William Wisting är en erfaren utredare vid polisen – rättskaffens, sympatisk och samvetsgrann. I Grottmannen kommer döden honom obehagligt nära när det i grannhuset hittas en man som varit död i fyra månader. Liket sitter uttorkat i tv-fåtöljen framför en flimrande skärm, läpparna är tillbakadragna och blottar de svartgula tänderna. Mannen liknar mest en mumie. Det finns i ...more
Published March 19th 2015 by Lind & Co (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Grottmannen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grottmannen

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
The first book I read in this series was book Ordeal (book 10), so it was quite natural for me to read the previous book in the series since reading in opposite order is my thing apparently. Also, I wanted to know more about Line and her relationship with the FBI agent and more about the house that she had bought in book 10. So, reading this book felt like the right thing while I wait for book 11 to be translated into Swedish.

And, as with the previous book was this book just as entertaining to
Jeanette
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the best Wisting novel by Jorn Lier Horst that I've read so far (I think I've read 3). It was much, much better actually than #2-despite the length. The best aspect was in the rural settings depictions- those places and in that weather- they were 5 star. I'm seeing the skeletons of trees and miles of shapes in white myself right now. The rural here in Norway and Sweden was creepy, stark, and blight filled cement slab topped wells and tanks of 20 or 30 years' disuse. Ominous and forensic ...more
Matt
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In his latest novel to cross the language barrier into English, Horst dazzles readers yet again. With the holiday season upon him, William Wisting is taking account of the passing year and what is to come. After man's body is found in his own home four months after he's expired, Line Wisting seeks to personalise the man and bring her father up to speed. Both Wistings recollect the man as a neighbour from years ago, saddened that his isolation may have played a role in the delayed discovery. Insp ...more
Jaksen
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
Excellently-translated (from Norwegian!) mystery by a writer with several in this series.

This is No. 5 in the William Wisting series, many of which have yet to be translated into English. I had a hard time finding a copy, finally locating this one in a large library system to which I belong. AND I had to WAIT for it. I did, was worth it.

William Wisting, police detective in a small Norwegian, semi-rural town, must deal with the death of a man found sitting in front of his TV set for about four mo
Mystereity Reviews
Jørn Lier Horst should write a book on how to write a great mystery series. He gets it right in so many ways; straightforward writing, emphasis on investigating the crime, not on-going character relationships. Riveting plots, likeable characters, beautiful scenery and thrilling conclusions. Secondary characters aren't developed much, which means you don't have to sit through a rehash of each character's history in each book. . On the other hand, the lack of development sometimes leads to plot po ...more
Maja
I just love reading Nordic thrillers. Every time I get into reading slump they are right there to save me. Today I read this book in one sitting only making breaks for food and bathroom.
Captivating book from start to finish and probably my favourite from this author. Loved that there were two sides of the story intertwing and the ending was mind blowing. Now off to buy the next book in the series.
Judi
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Chief Inspector Wisting is called in to investigate when a body is found decomposing under a tree in a Christmas Tree lot. His daughter Line is writing a story about a neighbor whose decomposing dead body was undiscovered for 4 mos. Both deaths connect to a serial killer wanted in America who has been on the run for the last 24 years. As Wisting and Line investigate their respective stories-and as the body count rises-he realizes that the two seemingly disparate deaths are connected and that his ...more
Ron Samul
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good police thriller. The story is based on an international mystery based around a seasoned detective and his journalist daughter. When a body is discovered at a Christmas tree farm, it is clear that it has been there for months. As the mystery unfolds it is clear that something dark and sinister is happening around people who are solitary and alone. This a great read and really captures the feel, the intimacy, and the vision of the culture. I can't wait until more of the Wisting serie ...more
Sean Kennedy
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of the William Wisting books published in English so far. This is a meticulously plotted thriller with genuinely chilling moments.
Andrew
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tend to be a bit compulsive about crime novel series liking to want to read from book 1 in chronological order and whilst generally this allows the reader to learn about the characters and develop a relationship it can also mean the earlier novels sometimes are not as strong as the later ones, persistence is needed, and also important threads are missed and motives for characters actions unclear.
It's therefore enjoyable to pick up a book mid series for the first time and enjoy it as a stand a
???!!!
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Finally the familiar setting and writing of the Scandinavian country. Also, finally, a novel without a time stamper the character's name on every chapter. This novel changed the scene and the perspective perfectly without using that ploy.

It's been a while since the last time I was able to immerse myself into that cold, desolate, open wilderness portrayal of the Scandinavia. As it turns out, yes, I agree with the author that Minnesota does resemble Norway. Maybe that's why I enjoyed Fargo and rea
Andy Weston
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm butting in to the middle of a series again. Horst's fourth novel with his detective William Witling is perfectly readable. He spends a couple of pages at the start updating people like me on the domestic past of his key characters. Certainly that works well. As ever in these Nordic crime thrillers the setting plays a huge role. I don't see the urban settings working as well as the rural ones. For me Scandinavia needs to be bleak, cold and almost deserted.

The setting here is the south west o
Sally
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although parts of the book were predictable, I thought is was a fast paced, engaging crime novel. I liked the interface of Wisting with the other police agencies in solving the international murders. Line adds another interesting dimension.
Emily Best
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-borrows
THIS BOOK IS FREAKING AWESOME.
Linda Boa
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-blog
Utterly creepy, totally wonderful. One you'll struggle to put down.
Ryan
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
FoxRox
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buff I don’t really know… The book is good, yes. It’s a story about loneliness and a serial killer, interesting and intriguing. At the same time it is, as acclaimed, similar to Jo Nesbo writing which in fact I don’t like. Too much thriller/action and third part of the novel I have to be worried about the main character that is constantly in danger. If you like this kind of feeling, then go for it. Just not my style maybe. And not to mention that the series is getting worse and worse. Again the s ...more
Bonnie Brody
I've read several of Jorn Lier Horst's books and have enjoyed them all - except for this one, 'The Caveman'.

A dead man is found sitting in front of his television set in Norway and it appears that he may have been dead, in that same state and position for several months. The questions are many. Was he the killer or the victim? Is he connected to a serial killer who was last heard from in the United States? How come no one found him sooner? If he is the serial killer, will he kill again?

All of i
Maureen E
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good story, very entertaining. Nordic Noir at its best.

Main Characters were well fleshed out, immediately one became attached to the father and daughter detective/journalist team. The weather and combat as always plays its part and the concept of the caveman serial killer is one of not read before. Only the gratuitous coupling between an fbi agent and the journalist added nothing to the story line. But I guess sex has to be thrown in somewhere these days.
Justine
Two men have died at about the same time, but there appears to be nothing otherwise to connect them. One death, obviously a murder, sets off an investigation by William Wisting and his team. The other, the apparently natural death of a lonely man, sparks the interest of his journalist daughter. The plot, as each pursues their quest, is pleasingly complex and absorbing; only the coincidences and unnecessary 'suspense' episodes shovelled in as the story approaches its conclusion mar it slightly.
Kim Cl
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book in the summer on a second hand book market. I didn't know this writer yet, and thought, what would go wrong?
As it turned out later, nothing, I really liked the book, and I was quite amazed that I found yet another Norwegian writer that's amazing.

I liked the story, the characters. Sometimes I think I'll get bored of the lonely, grumpy detectives in these kind of crime novels. But nope, it never happens.
Wisting here, easily to like him, and nice dinamic with the other character
Kate
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unputdownable ...
Started and finished in one day and right till the very end, a reader is surprised by its outcome. The last few pages left me grinning. By then, all cases are solved but ... It started with a body of a lonely person found about 4 months after the person's death? It ends with one of the main characters, likely dwindling into a lonely person.
Kt
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Caveman was my favourite in the William Wisting detective series.

Set in Norway, Horst was a former police officer and his authenticity leaps off the page as we follow the daily grind of detective William Wisting through both his police and personal life.

If you like Nordic Noir and/or whodunnit books, this series is a must.
Alberto Devincenzi
Plus items:
- good plot, including maybe new characters in the series (FBI man will continue ?)
- no spoiler, but the author seems to include several "tips" that later will be misleading for the police (and you reader....)
- the "caveman" idea/ concept

Not so good:
- missed "development" of personal life of main characters
Marian Smith
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By-the-book detective learns from an upstart reporter.

Simple story made compelling by ingenious plot and great characters. The author and detective rely on footwork, not high-tech magic. Love it!
Angela
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the English version of this novel which was not listed.
Audhild
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
Loved it to bits and will definitely seek out more from the author in the future.
Most engaging crime novel I've read so far, but then again; I haven't read very many.
Ted
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the English translation "The Caveman." I would probably have given this four stars had the translation been better. The translator appeared to have a limited command of English.
Carolyn A.
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the paperback version in English. Great read!
Carol
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No quirks for any of the investigators, no sense of humor or sarcasm or cynicism.
« previous 1 3 next »
read them order? 1 3 May 12, 2017 06:53PM

• Satellittmenneskene (K2 #2)
  • We Shall Inherit the Wind (Varg Veum, #17)
  • Der Tote vom Strand. (Inspector Van Veeteren #8)
  • Vi ses i morgen (Teksas-serien, #1)
  • Kalypso (Fredrik Beier, #2)
  • Honningkrukken
  • Synkkä niin kuin sydämeni
  • Thin Ice (Officer Gunnhildur, #5)
  • Blodtåke (Henning Juul #3)
  • Sukkerdøden (Cato Isaksen #8)
  • Den femte årstiden (Malin Fors, #5)
  • Skyggedød
  • Sun on Fire
  • Den döende detektiven
  • Den 13. disippel (Bjørn Beltø, #5)
  • Light in a Dark House
  • Den stumma flickan (Sebastian Bergman, #4)
  • Maestro
Jorn Lier Horst (born in Bamble, Telemark 1970) is a former Senior Investigating Officer at the Norwegian police force. He made his literary debut as a crime writer in 2004 and is considered one of the foremost Nordic crime writers.

His series of mystery novels starring chief inspector William Wisting provides a detailed and authentic insight into how criminal cases are investigated and how it affe

William Wisting (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Nøkkelvitnet (William Wisting, #1)
  • Felicia forsvant (William Wisting, #2)
  • Når havet stilner (William Wisting, #3)
  • Den eneste ene (Wiliam Wisting, #4)
  • Nattmannen (William Wisting, #5)
  • Dregs (William Wisting, #6)
  • Closed for Winter (William Wisting, #7)
  • Jakthundene (William Wisting, #8)
  • Blindgang (William Wisting, #10)
  • Når det mørkner (William Wisting, #11)