Start by marking “Past Heaven” as Want to Read:
Past Heaven

Past Heaven

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  762 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
Not every love story has a happy ending. Some just change your life.

Liz Atwater’s happily ever after was torn from her the instant her husband, Jack, was murdered. She is forced to pick up the shattered pieces of her life and raise her three young sons alone.

Reynolds Carter’s picture perfect Hollywood life ended the moment the paparazzi got hold of his girlfriend’s che
Published January 26th 2015 (first published January 26th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Past Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Past Heaven

Aestas Book Blog
Jan 26, 2015 marked it as to-read
This new standalone has quite a unique story!

When the heroine’s husband is murdered, her life falls apart. He was father to their children and the man she loved more than anything. He’d also dedicated his life’s work to a worthy cause. The hero is a famous Hollywood actor who decides to make a movie about her husband story’s, which is how his life collides with hers…
Mo
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I liked this one. Hot movie star and stay at home mom?? Yeah, its fiction. Probably doesn't happen on a regular basis out in the Hollywood hills but we can pretend it does.

Liz is devastated after the death of her husband. Enter stage right, Reynolds. He wants to write a screenplay about her husband.

Not every love story has a happy ending ...

They have their ups and downs. Reynolds is usually with young bimbos. Liz feels that she is too old for him.

"FUCK! Motherfucking hell."

You’re
Mallory

I seriously loved this book! I had wanted to read this, so when it was on sale for $0.99 I had to snag it. I'm so glad I did because it was such a refreshing read. The main MCs are both older, so they've lived their life and don't need the petty bullshit that comes with NA situations. The story flowed so well, and the plot really worked. So definitely read this if you want a movie star read without all the drama.
Tamara
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-beta, paperback
Now available!
Click here to get your copy!

Click here to watch the BOOK TRAILER!

What are your first thoughts when your phone rings in the middle of the night? You fear the worst, right?

When Cindy gets woken abruptly by such a phone call, she has no idea the devastation she’s about to witness. The husband of her best friend has been brutally murdered.

"Her voice cracked at the end, and she sobbed. Body-wracking, breath-stealing, soul-shattering sobs. Yet, her cries were silent."

Liz Atwater’s li
Nancy's Romance Reads
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
5 A GORGEOUS & HEARTFELT STORY STARS!

description

I'm elated to have read this book. It was packed with all the elements that make a true romance story feel real, touching, inspiring, and just glorious. I loved how from the beginning it made me ugly-cry as I instantly connected with the plot and by the end, the whole story had made me so happy that I felt the effect in my swelling heart.♥

“Not every love story has a happy ending. Some just change your life.”

Past Heaven is not your typical second chance
Rachel
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: safe, single-parent
Overall rating: 4 "Past Heaven" stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Ex drama: (view spoiler)
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Past Heaven by Laura Ward
4 stars!!

“You know all about life surprising you with the stuff nightmares are made of, but sometimes life surprises you in the best possible way.”

Sometimes you just need a cute, feel good book and this book ticked those boxes for me. Even though the beginning is a tough read this is literally just bringing some perspective into the place where Liz Atwater finds herself at the present time. Once the introductions to the characters are made this book takes on a whole
Alona
DNF at 55%.
It was nice to begin with, very emotional and promising start, then, unfortunately, it got a bit boring and predictable.
I wanted a sad/healing-comfort sort of book, but it wasn't, for me.
I tried to get invested, but when it didn't happen at 55%, I gave up.

The writing is actually not bad at all, but the story line is something I might have enjoyed a few years back, when I was a novice to the romantic genre.
Anne OK
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
After reading and loving Laura Ward’s first book, Not Yet, I felt this would be a sure bet. Oh how right I was!

A story of two loves – one that ended with a heart broken into pieces; the other one putting the pieces back together and mending the broken heart. Even though a new love can’t heal all wounds, it still exists to restore beauty in hearts and bring happiness back into lives. A beautiful love story – both compelling and emotional of two opposites who share loss and broken hearts. The auth
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-bests
5 very emotional stars.

What do I write about this book?

-That I cried buckets and I'm out of tissues? Check.

-That I loved the 180° turn Reynolds did from superficial hollywood hotshot actor to driven, moved and dedicated man with a cause? Check.

-That I absolutely adored Liz kids and melted for the youngest one? Check.

-That I raged with Liz at the unfairness of life and admired her immense strength to still go on for her kids? Check.

-That I totally was guilt tripped with her in her growing affecti
1-Click Addict Support Group
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was different for me, so I will be doing my review a bit different than you are used to from me...

Dear Laura,
Thank you for making me believe in true love again. I have been married for eight years and love my husband fiercely. However, I have seen my friends marry and divorce, or be widowed, so many times it made me wonder if I was the exception to the rule of love.

Reynolds and Liz have been through so much it is a wonder how they can open their hearts up to anything else. Between the
Veronika
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was ok

I hate the feeling when while reading a book the story gets lost somewhere and it becomes flat and kind of boring. This is exactly what happened in this book.

The book started out good, I got to know the characters, but around the 40-50% mark I felt like the story somehow had burnt out. Like there was nothing more that I wanted for the characters to achieve. Like I doubted anything exciting could happen. The story felt empty and boring.

I'm not a fan of the books where the majority contains back
Candy
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I’m quickly learning that Laura Ward has a message she wants the world to hear, and it just makes me adore her, both as a person and as a writer, even more. Past Heaven is nothing like other books of the genre that I have come across; it is a unique tale of love and survivorship, while also raising awareness about intellectual disabilities. It’s a story that will make you giggle and laugh, while also touching the deepest parts of your heart and soul.

“Pain is pain. We can’t compare or judge who
Liza
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Received an ARC for an honest review

Laura Ward has restored my faith in deep, true love.

I could never count the times I have cried while reading Past Heaven. It touched deep levels of my emotion and I have nothing but pure admiration and praise on this book. The love that was so inspirational and heartwarming.

Reynolds Carter, a Hollywood veteran actor, tried to escape the fakeness that was his life in L.A. Liz, a 40 year-old widower, left with three boys had made herself the least priority and
Shay
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Past Heaven and I loved it. What a beautiful and pleasant read. This is a first for me for this author and I am just so glad that I made this purchase! This story is all about opening yourself back up when you have experienced a tragedy. Liz and Jack were married, in love, and she was helping him with his focus on making a better world for people with disabilities. He is murdered but a guy that didnt want that change. 9 months later and she still isnt better. She is trying to sur ...more
Teri Chason
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled to be given an advance copy of Past Heaven by Laura Ward. After reading (and loving!) her debut novel, Not Yet, I knew that I was in for a real treat with this latest novel.

Liz Atwater's life turns upside down in a chilling moment, and it seems that happiness will be gone forever. When super hot Reynolds Carter turns up to ask for Liz's help on his newest project, she agrees because it will show the world what a wonderful man her beloved Jack was.

What happens next is one heck of
Irene
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If you enjoyed the Tina Reber Love Unscripted series you will really want to read this book.
" A love that surrounds you always, time, distance and even death can't end it. That Love is Past Heaven."
From Cindy's point of view at the beginning you are informed of a terrible event that transpires in her B/F Elizabeth's life.
You are then taken through the story from dual points of view by Elizabeth and the very famous gorgeous actor Reynolds who comes into Liz's life after the tragic death of her hu
Mar 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
This review was originally posted to Jen in Bookland

Past Heaven was my one book club read for this month and man it was not very good. I normally try to stay away from books where someone dies and the other person moves on quickly because I don't like that storyline. I don't like people moving on in less than a year after their partners death. It just seems...it just upsets me to read. I don't like it. So already I knew this was going to be a tricky read for me.

Unfortunately even if Liz would ha
Theresa Alberts
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"I wasn't running away, I was running to temper the misery, to be strong in the face of fear, and to be the person I needed to be."

Past Heaven by Laura Ward is the second amazing novel from this new author and I cannot wait to see what else she publishes! I thought that I wouldn't love another one of her books as much as I loved Not Yet but Past Heaven surpassed all of my expectations and then some! This book was 5+++ Hollywood Stars and I highly, highly recommend that you read this amazing stor
Shelly Wygant
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have your kleenex handy when you start this book. You will cry tears of heartbreak and then tears of happiness and joy.

It starts off right away with a great tragedy of Liz's husband being murdered. Her life is shattered but she must go on for her 3 boys. The story describes Jack's murder but them jumps ahead a few months. Liz looks like she has picked up all the pieces of her lift but in fact she is still struggling with Jack's death.

Reynolds Carter is a famous actor who has just went through a
Judy Krebs
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved every second of this book. Laura Ward has a unique way of writing that captures your heart and interest through every word in this book. She has the gift of making you cry and smile in the same moment and making you feel that you are truly living the story with her. I love the way she incorporates the handicapped in her story and educating her audience about the special needs society. I love the way she makes you fall in love with her characters and makes you feel as if you know them or ...more
Kelly
4 Stars ****

This story pulled at my heart strings. Must read.
Eva
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Katie(babs)
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Past Heaven by Laura Ward has a nice women’s fiction feel to it, but also has a great romance in the mix. The heroine is a widow with three young boys who lost her beloved husband to a shooting. Right off the bat I was impressed because the deceased husband isn’t vilified to make the heroine’s second time at love a much better and the “real” thing.

Liz is on the cusp of forty (or middle-aged as the tabloids mention in this story once she dates the hot shot forty-year-old actor, who isn’t consider
Aira  Cabrera
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me a "Worth the Fall by Claudia Connor" feel. Which was great because I LOVE that book.

Liz just lost her husband Jack. She was left to take care of their three lovely sons.Liz is absolutely devastated because she just lost her best friend and the love of her life. She's trying to be strong for her children; and she's worrying about how she needed to work soon to take care of her children. Before Jack died, she was a stay at home mom. She was always there for her children, so Liz
Kindle Crack Book Reviews Cheri
Title: Past Heaven
Author: Laura Ward
Series: Standalone
Release Date: January 26, 2015
Rating: 4.50 stars
Spoiler-free review

Reynolds Carter is a 40-year-old hot Hollywood a-list actor who finds out his starlet girlfriend cheated on him. He is sick and tired of his fast, fake and empty Hollywood existence. After doing some soul searching, Reynolds decides to write a screen play about health care do-gooder Jack Atwater. Liz Atwater is a widower and a typical suburban mom. It’s only been a year sinc
Beth
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2015
4.5 STARS!!!!

I love this book SO HARD!!!! Everything about it!

It starts off with such a powerful prologue that had me in tears! It takes a lot to get me in tears, but this story just hit all my spots! The prologue and the Epilogue are just beautiful.

It had everything you could want from a Romance story. It has a hot older (which I loved that he is older, since I am 34 :)) Hollywood actor, a hot widow, who is also a mom to three adorable boys. The storyline was brilliant and I loved every single
☀️*•*•*☀️CoNnOrBeLl☀️*•*•*☀️
 photo 165126971_zpsctg3koyd.gif

{MY LIKE SCALE}
description
Romance: 4/5 (I REALLY LIKED THEM TOGETHER WHEN LIZ WASN'T BEING AN IDIOT)
Drama: 3/5 (A LOT OF DRAMA SOMETIMES I JUST WANTED TO SLAP LIZ)
Cover: 3/5 (OKAY COVER)
Elizabeth "Liz": 4.5/5 (I LIKED HER BUT SHE HAD SO MUCH ANNOYING MOMENTS BUT I GET THAT SHE WAS GRIEVING)
Reynolds: 5/5 (LOVED HIM FOR THE HOLE BOOK HE IS DEFINITELY ONE OF MY FAVORITE HERO)
Writings: 4/5 (GOOD STORY)
Humour: 3/5 (HAD A LITTLE FUNNY MOMENTS)
Hotness: 4/5 (HAD JUST ENOUGH)
HEA:(view spoiler)
Carolyn's
Breathtakingly And Tragically Beautiful

Breathtakingly tragic- Liz and her 3 boys find themselves alone. A horrific tragedy has taken beloved husband, father and humanitarian Jack Atwater away. How do you move on with life, live, recover, move on?

Hollywood movie star Reynolds Carter has actually been dumped, cheated on and became the target of all paparazzi. Deciding to take a breather from Hollywood and its drama, Reynolds heads home to his family to find himself. When secrets lead to a new wor
Laura Hanson
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Five "Interesting" Stars...

If you don't read any other love story this year, you should read this one. Past Heaven is a true story, a realistic fairy tale, about second chances and finding one's self again after loss. The author weaves humor, fantasy, tragedy, family, friendship, and romance into a beautiful tale that sticks with you for days. Her easy writing style creates a page-turner, gripping your heart.

I loved Liz. Liz is me. Liz is you. Liz could be any dedicated wife and mother whose li
  • And Then You
  • Leap of Faith (La Flor Series, #1)
  • Landslide
  • Sometimes Moments (Sometimes Moments, #1)
  • Hollywood & Vine
  • Terms and Conditions: Extras & Deleted Scenes from Modern Arrangements (Modern Arrangements, #3.1)
  • What You Do to Me (Unexpected Love, #1)
  • Runaway Cowboy (Rodeo #3.5)
  • The Five Stages of Falling in Love
  • An Unplanned Life (Unplanned, #2)
  • Vanguard
  • Dare Me
  • The Girl Before Eve
  • My Lady Faye (Sir Arthur's Legacy, #2)
  • Back to You (Dreams, #1.5)
  • Falling into Forever (Falling into You, #2)
  • Not Your Hero
  • Change of Hart (Hart, #1)
Laura Ward lives in Maryland with her loud and very loving three children and husband. She married her college sweetheart and is endlessly grateful for the support he has given her through all their years together, and especially toward her goal of writing books. When not picking up toy trucks, driving to lacrosse practice, or checking spelling homework, Laura is writing or reading romance novels. ...more
More about Laura Ward
“Reynolds showed me that the power of love is both inescapable and infinite.” 1 likes
“Heartbreak , death and loss were shared between us, but renewal, commitment and strength as well.” 1 likes