Start by marking “Hot Sleep (Worthing, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hot Sleep (Worthing, #2)

Hot Sleep

(Worthing #2)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  371 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The human race gets a second chance. What would happen if the human race has a chance to erase all its mistakes and try again? Could we create a perfect world? Hugo-award winning author Orson Scott Card explores this possibility with intriguing results.
Jason Worthing is sent with 333 people to start a colony in deep space. However, when he arrives at his destination, he di
Published May 1st 1979 by Ace (first published April 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Sleep

Raj
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Jason Worthing is one of the greatest starship pilots in the fleet. He is also a telepath, something forbidden under imperial law. When a rebellion against the empire goes wrong, the rebels are forced to become colonists to the furthest colony ever established by mankind - and the colony is to be led by Worthing!

I really enjoyed this book. Although Worthing is nominally the title character, we rarely see anything from his point of view. We see things from the point of view of those around him an
Bill Johnston
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
For all that Capital was original and deeply exploring of its premise, Hot Sleep is hackneyed and unoriginal. Take an illegal boy-genius telepath, put him on the run from the law, have him captured and abused by the secret ruler of the universe. I'm sure it only gets worse from there, but that's as far as I got.
reherrma
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Die Elite der Gesellschaft des Planeten Capitol hat durch die Droge Somec die Möglichkeit ca. 10 Jahre im Tiefschlaf zu verbringen, ohne zu altern, man braucht nur wenige Stunden um die Geschäfte die regeln und sich wieder schlafen zu legen, die Gesellschaft und der wissenschaftliche Fortschritt setzen sich während der Schlafenszeit fort.
Wie funktioniert diese Gesellschaft ? und wie wäre es, völlig neue anzufangen, ohne die Fehler die gemacht wurden. Diese Fragen werden in beiden Romanen sehr un
Cmadler
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Having re-read both this version and The Worthing Saga (which contains The Worthing Chronicle, Card's much re-written version of this story), I am now more convinced than ever that this earlier version, particularly when paired with the short stories in Capitol, is a far superior version of the story. This version gives the reader more of the most interesting parts -- those taking place on Capitol -- and less, which is to say none at all, of the least interesting parts: the framing story.
Wendy
Sep 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Having already read The Worthing Saga, I was very happy to find this earlier out-of-print work at a used bookstore. It includes a lot of the stories that form a backbone for the ones in The Worthing Saga, and I found it quite interesting to see how they were changed (and how Card's writing has changed over time).
Ailene
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the original version of the Worthing Saga, or at least it covers most of the story that that book does. So if you've read that you might not find a lot of surprises in this one. I think I actually like how a lot of details are handled in this original version better. There's only one thing I think played out better in The Worthing Saga, but it's kind of a big thing.
Foxthyme
Jan 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f-spec-h
This is about the third Card book I've started reading only to have the niggling sensation that I'd read it before. Yes I did, but remember it? Not really. While I do like how Card gets that grand sweeping all historical slant to his writing (most often religion-based) I don't find most of his characters stick with me. Except for Ender and the gang's series of course.
Gordon
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm impressed. Decided to try this book after seeing a friend recommend it and am glad I did. The sudden change of pace part way through was a bit disconcerting at first, but overall Worthing has the sweep of Asimov's Foundation series - with a much defter human touch.
James
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I found a copy of this one at a used book store. It is interesting to read the versions of the stories that later become the Worthin chronicles.
J Arlock
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Well... that was a snooze fest. Mediocre first half, then a whole new sub-par story for the second half. This one goes in the resell-to-the-bookstore pile.
Arnoud Visser
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once you think that you have a glue where this story leads, it becomes a completely different story, interesting in its own right.
Ian
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ian by: ireide@graduate.uwa.edu.au
Shelves: sf
Well, what to say? Enjoyed this, drama, insight, but the usual Card dismal view of humanity. Read the novel when it first came out.
Lexi
May 12, 2016
Jamie Walton
Jun 19, 2017
Gerri Balter
rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2014
  • A Darker Geometry (Man-Kzin Wars, #7.5)
  • Michaelmas
  • Dragons in the Stars (Star Rigger, #2)
  • The Trouble Twisters
  • Grounded! (Nicole Shea, #2)
  • Swords Against Darkness (Swords Against Darkness, #1)
  • Robota
  • The Syndic
  • The Probability Broach (North American Confederacy #1)
  • The Planet That Wasn't
  • The Practice Effect
  • The Nitrogen Fix
  • Moon of Three Rings (Moon Magic, #1)
  • Twistor
  • Vengeance of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #3)
  • A Mirror for Observers
  • And All the Stars a Stage
  • Manhattan Transfer
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th

Worthing (3 books)
  • Capitol (Worthing, #1)
  • The Worthing Chronicle (Worthing, #3)