Start by marking “Captain Marvel Vol. 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More” as Want to Read:
Captain Marvel Vol. 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More

Captain Marvel Vol. 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More

(Captain Marvel (2014) (Collected Editions) #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  17,137 ratings  ·  1,118 reviews
Hero! Pilot! Avenger! Captain Marvel, Earth's Mightiest Hero with an attitude to match, is back and launching headfirst into an all-new ongoing adventure! As Captain Marvel, a.k.a. Carol Danvers, comes to a crossroads with a new life and new romance, she makes a dramatic decision that will alter the course of her life - and the entire Marvel Universe - in the months to com ...more
Published October 21st 2014 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Captain Marvel Vol. 1, please sign up.
Sarah 🌺 Books in Their Natural Habitat This was the first one I’ve read and I followed it without a problem. Having general Marvel knowledge would be helpful though!

·  17,137 ratings  ·  1,118 reviews

Start your review of Captain Marvel Vol. 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved the people/aliens she was helping!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Anne
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't a fan of the first volume one of Captain Marvel. I thought it was angsty and full of too much forced Girl Power.
Just my opinion...doesn't make it true.
The title grew on me, but it never blew me out of the water.
Needless to say, I wasn't expecting much when I cracked this open.
First things first, I'm into comics for the explosions, crazy superpowers, and funny dialogue. And if I happen to learn a moral lesson along the way? Bonus.
But.
You've gotta entertain me.
This was entertaining.
Kemper
”When former U.S. Air Force pilot Carol Danvers was caught in the explosion of an alien device called Psyche-Magnitron, she was transformed into one of the world’s most powerful super beings. She now uses her abilities to protect her planet and fight for justice as an Avenger. She is Earth’s Mightest Hero...she is... CAPTAIN MARVEL!

Most people would probably find being a superhero enough to fill their lives with excitement, but Captain Marvel isn’t most people and is feeling restless. So when T
Sam Quixote
Mar 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Captain Marvel gets a new number one volume. Why? Because she’s now in spaaaaaaaace!

Carol will team up with four nobodies to form the poor man’s Guardians of the Galaxy - with a cameo from the actual Guardians of the Galaxy in a desperate attempt to leech off of their popularity! Carol will help an alien get back to her alien people and find them a home on some alien world - but not before some baddie aliens try to kill them! You won’t believe how disinterested you’ll be in this super-bland com
Sean Gibson
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some high-flying, space opera fun with Carol Danvers. What's not to love?

Other than when you step on a four-sided die, maybe. Those effing things are like caltrops, they are. But, I guess that has nothing to do with this book.
Shannon (kitchandpages)
This lady. She's awesome. ...more
Terence
An unconscious alien girl, Tic, appears on Earth in a rocket. Captain Marvel is tasked with returning her to her planet. Tic and her people were forced to be relocated because the builders destroyed their world. Now it appears their new planet is poisoned, but they refuse to relocate. Captain Marvel does what she can to help and with the help of some locals finds out things are vastly different than they believed.
description

Higher, Further, Faster, More wasn't what I was expecting. I was hoping to get an
Sarah Churchill
There is a contender for leading lady in my heart (sorry Wonder Woman). Captain Marvel is AWESOME, she has sass, sarcasm and all other 'S' words that make love characters. This volume follows a story that kinda reminded me of Firefly, with cameos from Iron Man, the Iron Patriot and the Guardians of the Galaxy. And some Star Wars references.

My Marvel just exploded.
Viv JM
Have you ever seen a little girl run so fast she falls down? There's an instant, a fraction of a second before the world catches hold of her again...a moment when she's outrun every doubt and fear she's ever had about herself and she FLIES. In that one moment, EVERY little girl flies. I need to find that again. Like taking a car out into the desert to see how fast it can go, I need to find the edge of me and see where I belong.

I read this book for the read harder challenge task to "read a superh
Mike
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yawn. This book is killing me. Or rather, the art. The acting, facial expressions, blocking, set design - it’s all so flat - or rather, so uninspired and lacking any verve. The story and dialogue might well be big and intriguing, but as it’s portrayed it’s just uneven, uninteresting and unrewarding.
Ashley
Meet Carol Danvers. She used to be a pilot, but after the explosion of a Kree device gifted her with alien powers, now she's an Avenger who lives in the top of the Statue of Liberty and makes out with Iron Patriot on the side. She's the kind of gal who takes her cat into space. She loves Star Wars and punching people. We have only just met, but I love her.

Even before I really got into the story, I was already sucked into this world. DeConnick's dialogue immediately clues you in to who these cha
Lex
Have you ever seen a little girl run so fast she falls down? There's an instant, a fraction of a second before the world catches hold of her again... a moment when she's outrun every doubt and fear she's ever had about herself and she flies. In that one moment, every little girl flies. I need to find that again. Like taking a car out into the desert to see how fast it can go, I need to find the edge of me... and maybe, if I fly far enough, I'll be able to turn around and look at the world...
Nicky
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
It’s no secret that I love Captain Marvel, so it’s probably not a surprise that I adored this, too. I love Carol and her stubborn determination to do what’s right, and the fact that she tries to do things that Captain America would approve of. I love her relationship with Rhodey (“I’m never gonna be the one who holds you down”!) and his acceptance of what she needs to do. I love the fact that she takes her cat into space with her, and I love her dumb banter in a fight.

I liked that this ties in w
Sesana
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Ever so slightly disappointing, because I had high hopes. I love Carol, I really do, especially as written by DeConnick. In fact, I liked just about the entire cast, including the new (and probably never to be seen again) aliens she teams up with in the last few issues. (Jackie is completely fantastic.) But the plot is kind of weak, which is a shame. This could be better.
John Wiswell
Sep 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
We begin with Captain Marvel palling around with Iron Man, chatting with a kid who adores her, and making out with a fighter pilot. So naturally, she decides she doesn't know her place on earth. Why? Hell if I know, but she flies off into space to help out with a colony that's on a tough planet. She spends part of the mission with the Guardians of the Galaxy, then they disappear, so she hangs out with a different group of interchangeable space weirdos instead. They run afoul of the Spartax Fleet ...more
Jillian
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual Rating: 3.8 stars!

Great art! Love captain marvel's sass. Bit of a slow start for me personally, but I'm excited to continue.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

If anyone has the time and the patience to bother reading through my individual issue reviews, here ya go:

Issue #1
Issue #2
Issue #3
Issue #4
Issue #5
Issue #6

For all those who don't want to bother, the short(er, since I could talk the leg off a dead horse) story is this: Once upon a time, I LOVED Kelly Sue Deconnick's Captain Marvel and gushed profusely about her. Yes, I'm the feminist lefty that also loved the movie with Brie Larson.

But...this is pretty bland and lackluster. Captain M
James DeSantis
This is my first ever Captain Marvel title. I can't believe I read Ms. Marvel before Captain Marvel. Well I guess most people did right? Captain Marvel was never a huge household name. I didn't even know Carol much besides a few side stories in other books. So I saw this at the library and figured screw it! Let's try it out.

Carol is trying to find herself? So she decides to leave earth and go on an adventure. Out there she meets a lot of friendly aliens, some not so friendly, and learns someone
Trisha
Aug 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Meh!

The plot was super weak, the characters were mediocre, the humour seemed forced and to cut long story short, it was boring. The only saving grace was the surprise encounter with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Oh yes, there’s a tiny bit of Iron Man in there, just saying in case you’re a fan!

Being a hardcore Avengers’ fan, I can’t rate this any lower. Not too bad for a one-time-read!

2.75/5🌟(rounded up).
Lou
This is the first comic book I have (probably) ever read. And let's just say I've added a lot more to my tbr pile. The illustrations were awesome and the story, while tiresome at times, was just as good. A really good start for someone who hasn't read a comic before, and now I'm all ready for Captain Marvel's movie! ...more
Campo Reviews
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel, mine
I really liked this book it had action, it was funny and the art was good. I had never read anything Captain Marvel before and felt this was a great introduction to the characters. the writing in this was good as well, if I have one complaint it's that i didnt care about the people she was trying to protect and they didn't really give me a reason to either. I highly recommend checking this out and I can't wait to get vol.2. ...more
Rachel
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great! I'm binging as much Captain Marvel as I can before the movie comes out and this did not disappoint. I think I was sold as soon as she took her cat with her to space! ...more
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
A mundane story exploring Carol Danvers' purpose in the world. Somehow feeling like she's unhappy on Earth, she sets off into space, runs into the Guardians of the Galaxy, and intrudes in other alien planet's politics and warfare. The artwork isn't bad either but it somehow feels extremely static and uninspiring.

Yours truly,

Lashaan | Blogger and Book Reviewer
Official blog: https://bookidote.com/
Bexnbookx
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see me talk about books? Check out my Youtube Channel: Bexnbookx

Captain Marvel, Volume 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More is a fun adventure following the mightiest Avenger and a really enjoyable start to diving into Carol Danvers.

Our story follows Carol Danvers who has come to a crossroads with a new life and new romance. She takes a drastic change in direction and alters her life as she takes on a mission to return to her homeworld. She lands herself in the middle of an uprising, and sh
Gavin
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
After loving the first issue, Things go downhill from there, and it turns into a GotG ripoff...guest starring....yup, the GotG.
It loses the Star Wars vibe, and the cool vibe, and gets kinda hokum, mainstream. The art is strong, and Carol isn't a wishy-washy whiny bitch like the last volume, but still, nothing amazing here. I couldn't even bother reviewing it until I remembered I'd read it and not added it to my list...

Your choice.
Anna
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to Captain Marvel.
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
(lesbian voice) HIGHER! FURTHER! FASTER!

there's a whole one sapphic kiss in this volume, guys!

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin | Reads Rainbow
Lauren Stoolfire
I really enjoyed Brie Larson's Carol so I thought I'd try my first Captain Marvel comic, but I feel like this wasn't the best place to start on on her journey. It was cool to see the Guardians of the Galaxy pop up though I wish Groot didn't look like he walked straight out of a nightmare. I'll have to look for a better jumping in point for the character. I will admit that I definitely imagined the characters with their actors voices. ...more
Camden Johnson
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captain Marvel is one of my top 5 favorite superheroes so when I saw this was available for free to Amazon prime members I quickly grabbed a copy. I really enjoyed the art style and the story.

• Thor, Volume 1: The Goddess of Thunder
  • Black Widow & The Marvel Girls
  • Thanos Rising
  • The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk
  • Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1: The Parker Luck

Captain Marvel (2014) (Collected Editions) (3 books)
  • Captain Marvel, Volume 2: Stay Fly