Start by marking “To Ride a White Horse” as Want to Read:
To Ride a White Horse

Read Book

To Ride a White Horse

Your feet will bring you to where your heart is.
Ireland 1846. With Ireland ravaged by famine and England unsympathetic to its plight, Kathleen Deacey faces a devastating choice - leave her country to find work or risk dying there. Despising the English for refusing to help Ireland, she crosses the ocean to support her family and search for her missing fiancé.

But when her v
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published January 3rd 2015 by Aine Press (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about To Ride a White Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Ride a White Horse

Tara
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely ADORED this historical love story, and even more so because it was inspired by actual events. Pamela Ford is a top notch writer and I look forward to reading more of her work.
 ♥♥Mari♥♥
(Note: I received a complimentary paperback copy of this novel from the author, in exchange for an honest review, and I have been very honestly enthusiastic about it!)

One of the most important aspects of a novel, for me, is the characters. When I first discovered To Ride A White Horse, I was immediately attracted to its unusual, beautiful cover. However, what truly caught and held my interest was the expertly drawn characters that not only intrigued me, but, long before the end of the novel, had
Margaux
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn to this book by the prospect of Irish history and of course, romance. And I loved it!

The story begins in Ireland where Kathleen Daecy and her family are struggling through the second famine in Ireland. With no way to make money and no way to grow food, Kathleen it is faced with devastating choice--leave the home and family that she loves and travel to the New World to find a job or stay in Ireland and watch them die.

On her journey to America, she encounters an Englishman, Jack Montgo
Regan Walker
Wonderful Story of Love Across a Wide Cultural Divide and in the midst of Ireland’s Woes

Set in Ireland and America, beginning in 1846, this is the story of Kathleen Deacey who leaves Ireland for America hoping to help her starving family and her missing fiancé.
She despises the English for taking Ireland’s wheat and refusing to help them in their hour of need.

On the terrible voyage across the Atlantic, she is saved from the sea by an English whaling captain, Jack Montgomery. Jack is a noble hero
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

There was a time when I would devour every historical fiction book in sight but I overdid it and lost interest in them.  However when one with an interesting setting comes along, I’m happy to jump back on board.  So when I saw this book had an Irish/American setting during the time of the Irish Famine, I knew it was one it had to try out.  And I’m very happy I did!

First Line of To Ride A White Horse by Pamela Ford:
“Kathleen dug her fingers i
Darth Vix
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! To Ride a White Horse is a historical fiction novel with a heavy romance storyline in it. I went into my reading of this book thinking it was more of a romance novel than historical fiction but was pleasantly surprised to find that it is pretty equally both. It takes place during the potato famine in Ireland. The daughter of a poor family, Kathleen sets sail to Canada to find work so she can send money back home to support her fami ...more
Peter Grimmer
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful blend of romance, history, and clever plot devices. I love historical fiction but I don't normally read romance novels; this book effectively delivers both in a fast paced story with a very satisfying ending. Although it does have a happy ending, this isn't just a run-of-the-mill dramatic romance novel. Scenes are incredibly evocative, and Ford has a way of making you truly feel the intense emotions of the main characters. Two scenes especially come to mind, one when Ka ...more
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
Did I enjoy this book: I read the first chapter of this book and was hooked. I didn’t want to stop reading it. I left the kids up in their cribs an extra ten minutes after naptime just so I could finish a chapter. Yeah, it was good.

To Ride a White Horse is what a historical romance should be. It has plenty of kissing, longing, passion, and of course, well-placed historical elements. The history doesn’t take a backseat. Ford does a great job describing the Irish famine for those who aren’t famili
Jean Benedict
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The story of Kathleen and Jack was very believable. The history of the Irish famine was true. The characters were true to their time.I could hardly put this book down waiting to see how the romance of Kathleen and Jack ended.I hope to see more books from this author. I won this book from First Reads.
Mary Hanneken
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Pamela Ford's novel To Ride A White Horse took me on quite an enjoyable journey. I loved the history, I loved the characters, I loved the romance... it was a book I did not want to put down! I've already recommended it to lots of friends and family. And I'll recommend it to anyone reading this review. Enjoy!
DJ Sakata
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Quotes:

“The rain had stopped before she boarded the ship and now the clouds were breaking apart, separated by great swaths of blue like God had spilled a bucket of paint and it was pouring down to Earth.”

“She stumbled down to the cabin and threw herself onto the sofa sobbing. She wept for the death of a whale that wouldn’t abandon its calf. She wept for her family, for Danny, for Ireland, for the injustice foisted upon the weak. And she wept for herself, knowing that even as she despise
Nicole Laverdure
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Overwhelming! 6 stars
What a stunning story! Pamela Ford’s book To Ride a White Horse made me go through a series of intense emotions, I cried, hoped, laughed! It’s a breathtaking story of love, hope and courage! I have just discovered a little gem! Since, this story was inspired by actual events, I didn’t know what to expect, what a beautiful surprise!
This novel tells the story of two strong characters, who will play a part, during the Great Famine in Ireland 1846. When Kathleen Deacey’s fiancé
Clare O'Beara
This is a romance tale with a bitter start, as blight caused by a fungal infection hits Irish potatoes for the second year running. People are starving, unable to pay the rent to absentee landlords, and a young woman has no choice but to cross the sea to earn.

Looking for her fiancé who sailed earlier that year, the girl is obliged to undergo weeks of a dreadfully cramped, filthy and underfed sailing before a storm washes her overboard and she is picked up by a whaling boat off Newfoundland. Thi
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the midst of the potato famine, Kathleen Deacey's fiance doesn't return from Canada. At her brother's insistence, she boards a vessel bound for Canada, hoping to discover Danny's whereabouts, but also to find work and send money to her desperate family.

On deck during a storm, Kathleen is washed overboard and rescued by a whaling vessel captained by Jack Montgomery. She ends up in Boston, working as a maid to the Captain's grandfather. As Kathleen searches for her fiance and worries about her
Erica
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ah, who cannot love a man named Jack? I really enjoyed this book. Was a bit hesitant at the beginning because it was almost too Irish for me, but once I got into the story it stopped bothering me. And you really get swept away with the story! I love reading historical fiction because you learn so much about a certain time period, and this book does just that with Ireland, the potato famine, even whaling. Even if you do not enjoy romance, the interesting perspective on this time in history is eno ...more
Kim Hampton
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. I was hooked from the very first page. If you like historical romance, especially Irish, you will love this book. It was a clean read with a great story line.
Jai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good historic romance with lots of interesting settings including a horrific whale hunting ship and the Irish famine. The romance, with it's own rocky path, is satisfying. An enjoyable read.
Pat
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a joy to read from the very first page! The well written storyline and well planned plot started out strong and stayed just as strong as each page was turned! The characters were so strongly written that I was so engrossed in Kathleen and Jack's story as it flawlessly unfolded! This was a couple that had great chemistry and they fit well with each other which made them feel like they jumped from the pages and pulled me right into their story as it was happening!
Tim Lowell
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story with historical facts t h at are astounding. How could the English government not help t ::) e Irish? Just horrible time period. The love story was precious. I just loved Jack. Great read!

ish government not help t ::) e Irish? Just horrible time period. The story was precious. I just loved Jack. Great read
Merle Sullivan
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joy

I hadn't enjoyed a book such as this for a long time. The nature of the Irish and the story of famine told in the most enjoyable and fascinating way. Not a big fan of love stories, I loved this book.
Dearlin
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining romance

It started off slow with me not liking the characters but give it a chance. I laughed and had tears in my eyes by the end of the book.
Holly
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb

Perhaps one of the best books I have ever read. Many well developed characters brought to life but in such a way as to add to the depth of the story not overwhelm it. I will anxiously await the authors next works.
Maria
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a book tour for a fair and honest review and rated it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

A captivating historical romance, To Ride a White Horse by Pamela Ford combines the best of both genres. Filled with facts and descriptions that transport you to both a small town in Ireland and Boston, Massachusetts, Ms. Ford’s novel grabbed my attention from the first page and never let go. Reminding us of the best and worst of humanity, Ms. Ford covers heavy subje
Lucy
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
a personalization of the Irish Potato Famine, wrapped up in an engaging love story
Linda
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!

It took me awhile to get into the story, as I felt the rescue was a bit far fetched. But as the characters were developed I grew to love them and I kept turning the page to see what happened next. I learned a lot about whaling and about Ireland’s horrible famine. It drew me in. It’s a great blend of history and romance, and I’m a sucker for a happy ending!
Msmac
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I story of a family during the potato famine and the English overseers

who would not help the starving people of Ireland. A family sent their daughter to find help and she was rescued by a whaling boat. Through much adventure , Kathleen got to America, with Jack, the captain of the whaling vessel. The story goes on a twisted path but in the end, Jack rescued her family to America, Kathleen finds that she does not love her betrothed and Jack and Kathleen fall in love. The author does a very good j
Donita L. Keeley
Intriguing

An intriguing story wound around the history and disaster of the Irish potato famine and the devastating impact it had on the fabric of the families that survived.
Marianne Potter
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great read!

This is the second time I have read this book, and enjoyed just as much as the first time. What an incredible story with believable characters and a fabulous story line.
Kaye
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WARNING!!! GRAB TISSUE!!!
Talk about a down and dirty, getting to the nitty gritty and greed of human nature and the will to survive in all its glory. Pam really holds nothing back in this trying time of peril and famine. The rollercoaster of emotions as you follow along with the characters as they struggle. So much heartache and grief to overcome. I don't know where or how Pam had the courage to even think, much less be able to write, this soul searing read. Man, a few times I was overcome and h
Teresa Williams
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone of Irish decent, or just wanting to know a little more of history. Also, this was a wonderful, sweet, clean romance. I loved seeing the growth in both Jack and Kathleen, as well as Jack's grandfather. Ms. Ford did an amazing job of bringing her characters to life. You couldn't help but love them. I also really appreciate that she did her research, so that her story truly teaches as well as entertains! Be sure to have plenty of Kleenex handy!
I was given this book to judge i
  • Once Upon a Caveman
  • An Urchin of Means (Baker Street, #1)
  • Ravenstone (The Ravenstone Chronicles, #1)
  • The Art Broker
  • Hide in Time
  • Mechanical Hearts (Skeleton Key)
  • Rogues to Lovers
  • Shades of Kink: From Alphas to Masters
  • Secrets in Stone
  • Darcy By Any Other Name
  • The Haunting at Blackwood Hall
  • Luffs (Transcendence, #1.5)
  • Fate and Consequences: A Tale of Pride and Prejudice
  • Tall, Dark and Supernatural: Seven Deliciously Dangerous Heroes of Paranormal Romance
  • Engaged in Sin
  • Fractured Steel
  • Our Own Brand of Heroine
  • Vampire Dreams Revamped (Sons of Navarus, #0.5)
Pamela Ford is the award-winning author of contemporary and historical romance. She grew up watching old movies, blissfully sighing over the romance; and reading sci-fi and adventure novels, vicariously living the action. The combination probably explains why the books she writes are romantic, happily-ever-afters with plenty of plot.

After graduating from college with a degree in Advertising, Pam s