Start by marking “Breaking Beauty” as Want to Read:
Breaking Beauty

Breaking Beauty

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  13 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In this stunning collection, twenty-seven brilliant writers ask: What is beauty?

Breaking Beauty puts one of the greatest obsessions of our time under the spotlight and shows that beauty rarely exists without its grubby underbelly. There is no light without darkness.

Our writers — sparkling talents both established and emerging — discover that beauty can be found in the mos
Published November 1st 2014 by MidnightSun Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Beauty

really liked it 4.00  ·

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Breaking Beauty is a collection of twenty seven short stories authored by Creative Writing postgraduates from the University of Adelaide, which claims to be one of the pre-eminent creative writing programs in Australia.

Edited by Lynette Washington, this diverse literary anthology explores the theme of beauty, not to define it but to challenge our recognition of it. In most cases the stories delve beyond its familiar construct to find beauty in unexpected forms and unusual places, and often hidd
Blue Mountains Library
a clever marketing ploy in that an excerpt of one of the short stories was published in the Jan-Feb 2015 Australian Book Review. I had to borrow the book to find out how the story ended. It was worth it. Each story in this collection explores the idea of beauty, warts and all. The stories challenge your perception and ideal of normal. My favourite story in this compilation was by the sci-fi writer, Sean Williams “The Beholders”. All have twists and all are clever. Worth reserving the library cop ...more
J Wrin
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved Breaking Beauty. Twenty-eight wonderful stories displaying an amazing array of styles and approaches to the concept of beauty. And I found it particularly touching that all of these writers developed their art in Adelaide, some passing through to other destinations, some staying to make South Australia their home. I say kudos to Lynette Washington for pulling together this stellar collection. Reading gold indeed.
Ruth Gilbert
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting assortment of ideas. Some I liked more than others.
Kristin Martin
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant collection of short stories, chosen with great care by editor Lynette Washington. The stories and styles are diverse, yet fit together beautifully. A book to read and re-read.
Charming Language
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's been ages since I've read a really good anthology! Breaking Beauty is about the dissection of the common understanding of beauty. What does ‘beauty’ really mean? Where and how do we find it? As these diverse stories unfold, we see beauty revealed in both conventional and unexpected places.

The great variety of approaches to the topic in this collection means you probably won’t enjoy every story; but a few will resonate and linger long after you’ve put the book down.

Stefan Laszczuk’s The Wind
Jennifer Rolfe
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I read these short stories because my writing teacher was among those in the book. They were interesting.
Alasdair Wolfe
Feb 11, 2017
Lily Rose
Nov 05, 2014
Lilliana Rose
Nov 05, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Fenia
Andres Arenas
Jan 09, 2018
Jackie
Mar 07, 2018
Lynette Washington is a short story writer, editor and teacher of creative and professional writing. From 2014 to 2017 she was the Editor and Submissions Editor at MidnightSun Publishing. When she is not writing, she teaches police cadets the importance of sentence structure. She holds a PhD in Creative Writing from the University of Adelaide. She has been a panellist at the Australian Short Story ...more