Start by marking “The Sunrise” as Want to Read:
The Sunrise

The Sunrise

From the internationally bestselling author of The Island comes a stirring novel about loyalty, love, and resilience in the face of tremendous upheavala saga of survival set during the 1974 Cypriot coup détat that tells the intersecting stories of three families whose lives are decimated when brewing ethnic tensions erupt into conflict.

Summer 1972Famagusta is Cypruss most
Published July 7th 2015 by Harper Paperbacks (first published September 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Sunrise, please sign up.
Angela This is as good as the Island if not better. I read the Thread and thats quite evocative and I have read her short stories too. I am progressing…moreThis is as good as the Island if not better. I read the Thread and thats quite evocative and I have read her short stories too. I am progressing through the others as I have bought the return and cartes postales but I have yet to read them.(less)

Start your review of The Sunrise
Margaret
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really don t know how I feel about this one. Generally I found it naive and pointless. Too many loose ends. Characters with no depth . A love story without love, a family story without compassion for family members , bits and pieces of history ,all in a mess. I couldn't care for anyone in the story and that was ok because neither did the writer. A big disappointment , although it was an easy reading .
Rebecca McNutt
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books set in the 1970's, its my favorite era for fictional literature. The Sunrise is certainly no exception and it captures such a moving and powerful story that it's definitely one worth having a look at.
Kyriakos Sorokkou
This was my first Victoria Hislop
An English novelist known for her preference in writing stories set in the Mediterranean especially in Greece. (The Island, Cartes Postales from Greece)
Out of her 7 novels 5 are set in Greece, one in Spain, and one in Cyprus. The one I read.

The story takes place in Famagusta/Ammochostos and as the Greek name implies, a city buried in sand.
A city that in the early seventies had high-rise hotels at twelve and fourteen storeys each.

description
Famagusta then

In my city, Larnaca,
Raven Haired Girl
Hislop challenged herself with such a historical event, however she failed to bring dimension and depth to both characters and narrative.

Clearly a strong case for telling as opposed to showing. The characters were superficially described providing no warmth or attachment towards them. The lack of depth is evident within the characters, deprived of dimension, their plight was anticlimactic despite the fact darkness visits one of the characters the most. With the missing component of character
Anne
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
People who know me, know that I adore Greece. I love visiting, I love the food, the people, the history, the culture. It is this love that brought me to Victoria Hislop's novels and The Island, sent on the leper island of Spinalonga just off the coast of Crete is one of my favourite stories. I also enjoyed The Thread, set in Thessaloniki and her collection of short stories The Last Dance and Other Stories. She also also written about the Spanish Civil War in her novel The Return, but I wasn't so ...more
BOOKBOX by Kat
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
More on my blog: https://bookboxbykat.wordpress.com/20...

MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THE BOOK

I got lost between pages and found myself wandering in the streets of Famagusta during its golden age. The book begins in the year of 1972 when Famagusta was in all its glory and manages to present the wealth and growth that characterized the place at the time. Through her descriptions you can almost taste the luxury and smell the bliss hovering in the cypriot air.

If only that was the case. She travels through
Kirstie
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I'm a fan of Victoria Hislop but this book felt so weak. Sorry!!!

I wouldn't say don't read it but I wouldn't expect to fall in love like you may have done with The Island

I didn't love or feel like I knew the characters. I didn't feel their desperation.

Disappointed
Kyriakos S Kyriakou
As a Cypriot born in 1969, lived through the coop and the Turkish invasion, I feel that Victoria managed to approach the reality of that times! We look back to all these mistakes and hope that no one will have to live the same horror again! It's time to unite the island and also all around the world to have peace! Force your governments people to achieve peace and stop all wars!
Sandra Danby
Sep 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Im a big fan of Victoria Hislops previous three novels, The Thread, The Return, and The Island so was expecting a lot from the new one, The Sunrise. I was a little disappointed and its difficult to pin down why. The Cyprus setting is great, the historical setting is stirring, the characters I didnt connect as well with them as I did with Alexis and Eleni in The Island. Finally, I decided that the difference between The Sunrise and the Hislops earlier books is that it wears its history a little ...more
Nigel Massey
I was a fourteen year old resident of Famagusta during the period of the story. My family was evacuated from Famagusta during the Greek coup and Turkish invasion of July 1974. We were shot at and held at gunpoint by the soldiers. I put off reading this book for the longest time. Would the story be so good that it brought back memories of a time that was painful and sad, but poignant and beautiful enough to endure? Would it be so bad that I would feel let down and even more nostalgic and pained ...more
Stephen
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victoria hislop doesn't disappoint in her latest book based in Famagusta at around the time of the Turkish invasion of northern Cyprus and the relationship between 2 families through the time of the invasion and the events which shaped their future.
Diane
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Hislop's fascinating new novel, The Sunrise, is set in 1972 in the tourist city of Famagusta on the island of Cyprus in the Mediterranean. Aphroditi and Savvas Papacostas are preparing for the opening of their new hotel, The Sunrise, the most extravagant hotel on the island.

They are the golden couple of Famagusta, and the Sunrise will be their crowning achievement. Things are going wonderfully and Savvas has his eyes on remodeling their other hotel, making it even greater than the
Sue
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novel.

It's the most enjoyable novel I've read in a good while. I'm not sure why, but it seemed to get under my skin. Partly I think, because I had no idea about how dreadful the separation of Cyprus was to the inhabitants. It should never have been allowed to happen. But also this appealed so much to be because I was there in either 1978 or 79. I went there as part of a school cruise trip. We docked at Limassol in the South and toured various ancient cites. I loved it
Siubhan
Nov 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I don't like writing bad reviews because no natter how bad the book I hate criticising an authors work - but this book was so awful I must say something. I very much enjoyed 'The Island' and indeed bought several copies as gifts. Ive bought ' The Return' but haven't read it being advised that it wasn't as good as 'The Island'. This book was a bookclub choice and the only reason that i made it to the end was the fact that I hadn't read last months book.
What an awful book. No real connection with
Shirley
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This was an interesting read, historically, as I wasn't aware of what had happened, so I think I have learned quite a lot from it. However, apart from the history, as a story this was mediocre at best. The ending all seemed very contrived, and the characters were not fleshed out particularly well, so that the notes at the back were actually more interesting than the closing pages of the story. This is my first book by this author, and it would appear I didn't pick the best to read first, based ...more
Tripfiction
Novel set in Cyprus (Famagusta the Sleeping Beauty)

Have you ever been to Cyprus? And if so, have you ever given much thought to the cataclysmic events that took place on the island in the Summer of 1974, decimating the glamorous beach resort of Famagusta and uprooting thousands from their homes in the process?

Victoria Hislop draws attention to Famagusta, this sleeping city (the sleeping beauty of the title) that is a symbol of a divided country. Even back then there were two populations the
Karen
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our first introduction to Famagusta is in 1972, before the invasion, when visitors flocked to this thriving resort for its golden beaches, smart cafés and expensive shops. Taking advantage of the influx of visitors are husband and wife hotel owners Savvas and Aphroditi Papacosta. Savvas always has an eye for profit and so with the money invested by his wifes wealthy parents, he has built a new hotel the most opulent so far. They already own the Paradise Beach Hotel, but the new hotel, The ...more
Cat Lumb
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
This book disappointed me. The first 50 pages are background and bland statements about the characters that are told but rarely shown, as a result I didn't feel like I got to know the characters and felt more like I was reading a history text book.

Fortunately, I was advised to persevere and eventually Hislop settled into an actual narrative. Yet, the story was shallow and the 'romance' element so stereotypical and obvious that I scoffed more than once. Shocking things do happen, but it seems
Paula Sealey
I am a huge fan of Victoria Hislop and usually love the way she manages to combine a beautiful story with historical facts. Unfortunately, this book just didn't hit the mark for me, and many times throughout, it felt like I was reading a straightforward history textbook as facts were bombarded at me. I didn't feel any affinity with the characters, maybe because there were so many and it became quite confusing to remember who was who. This wouldn't put me off reading future Hislop stories, but ...more
Holly
Feb 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Please never ever make me read any of her books again. Had to read it for book group and actually almost left the group so I didn't have to finish it. Awful.
Tracey
I really wanted this to be a good read , unfortunately it was dull and I found it hard to relate or like the characters. Its such a shame as I loved The Island! ...more
Lucija
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book left a great impression on me and it made me want to find out more about the Cypriot history but even more about its present. And that is the exact reason why I love Victoria Hislop. She takes tragic historical events, introduces us with the setting and circumstances of that time, adds well elaborated storyline and she fuses it all into a complete and inseparable plot.
Although it may seem that Hislop herself doesnt know her characters because they are not deeply described, I believe
Kim
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2014, net-galley
The Sunrise is a luxurious hotel that has been built in Famagusta. Savvas and Aphroditi combine his eye for making money with her parents wealth. He wants to carry on building bigger and better hotels. They arent aware of the rising tensions bubbling away in the country. I learnt a lot about that time in history between the Turkish and Greek Cypriots. The invasion caused terror and devastation.

Two families seek refuge in the hotel after the trouble. One Greek and one Turkish. They learn to cope
Katie.g
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
As with Victoria Hislop's other novels, the author sets the scene in a war-torn European country. The focus is usually on the families of ordinary people in this time and how they handle the challenges that are thrown at them.

The Sunrise is set in Cyprus in the 1970's where there is a lot of tension between the Greeks and Turks. I had no idea about the history of Cyprus so I found it very interesting to read.

This wasn't my favourite book by this author but still very enjoyable and worth the
Anna Elliott
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is based on true events and considers the lives of fictional individuals who lived and worked in Famagusta during the uprising. I found this book very elucidating through her portrayal of this aspect of Cypriot history. Even though these events occurred during my life time I knew very little about this devastating time in history.

Read my full review at: www.leftontheshelfbookblog.blogspot.c...
Wendy Patrick
Enjoyed it but not as much as The Return and The Island. I visited Famagusta several years ago and it was a strange and unsettling experience. You can only imagine how difficult it was for people from both sides. A very interesting insight into the fact that poor and rich alike were driven together in the most horrific of circumstances.
Debumere
The first half of this book was never ending. It was boring and cheesy butI didn't give up like I normally would. (Only because I don't want to be a quitter and it's for book group)

The second part was much better. Lots of twists and turns and the unexpected.

Certainly made up for the initial droll beginning.

Lisa
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Took far too long to develop an actual plot. Obscene amount of exposition. I didn't feel I came to know or feel much sympathy for any of the characters; too much head-jumping. Finally, I found the prose clunky and occasionally downright banal. Saving grace: a handful of descriptive lines that were incredibly evocative. I wouldn't read it again and I won't read any of her others.
Book Addict Shaun
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
My favourite place in the world is Cyprus. Having holidayed there three times I always say that I left my heart behind as it's the only place I've ever felt content. I first fell in love with the island as a holiday destination, I remember the first time stepping off the plane as if it was yesterday. The first morning I walked out into intense heat. My love for the island led me to research its history, I remember the first time I saw pictures of an abandoned Famagusta. So creepily eery yet ...more
Goodreads Librari...: missing cover 4 15 Dec 31, 2015 07:47PM

• Secrets of Santorini
  • The Lemon Tree Hotel
  • A Nice Cup of Tea
  • The Secrets Women Keep
  • Island of Secrets
  • Smaragdsliberen
  • Searching for Steven (Whitsborough Bay, #1)
  • Miss Garnet's Angel
  • Moonlight over Mayfair
  • Det sjuende møte
  • Burning Island
  • The Marshall Plan For Novel Novel Writing
Victoria Hislop read English at Oxford, and worked in publishing, PR and as a journalist before becoming a novelist. She is married with two children.

Her first novel, The Island, held the number one slot in the Sunday Times paperback charts for eight consecutive weeks and has sold over two million copies worldwide. Victoria was the Newcomer of the Year at the Galaxy British Book Awards 2007 and