Start by marking “Positive” as Want to Read:
Positive

Positive

The acclaimed author of Chimera and The Hydra Protocol delivers his spectacular breakout novel—an entertaining, page-turning zombie epic that is sure to become a classic

Anyone can be positive . . .

Years after a plague killed 99 percent of the population, turning them into infectious zombies, Finnegan and his family live in a barricaded New York City, safe from danger. But
Published April 21st 2015 by Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Positive, please sign up.
Wondmagegn Abraham Normally I don't like reading post apocalyptic books. However, last year I began reading this book mistaking the ganre for epic fantasy. After reading…moreNormally I don't like reading post apocalyptic books. However, last year I began reading this book mistaking the ganre for epic fantasy. After reading the first chapter, I couldn't stop it. While I was at work or in bed all I could think about is finishing the book. When I finally finished the book I was disappointed that the book doesn't have a sequel. Smooth story telling and amazing characters. One of my favorites (less)

Trudi
Carol! I am so glad I didn't make you suffer through this with me. I took one for the team!

Oh my bleeding eyeballs, but I am very disheartened to report that very little in this book's almost 500 pages did anything for me. Despite the zombies, despite the post-apocalyptic landscape, despite the grappling, unending confrontations with human depravity and the silver threads of uncovering and recovering pieces of our humanity --- ALLLLL of my favorite things -- David Wellington's Positive still man
carol.
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: committed zombie fans

See Finn and his parents. See Finn leave New York. See Finn fight off a scary woman. See Finn meet a man traveling with young girls. See Finn fight off scary man. See Finn fail to develop worldliness. See Finn act like dumb Knight in Shiny Armor. See Finn get beat forty different times. See carol wish she could slap some sense into Finn.

Serves me right, you say. What am I doing reading zombie books and expecting great literature? Because zombies are Other, but they were people, and it is fascina
Susan May
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I read this book in early January and it is still one of my favorite books of the year. Thought I'd add my review here to share my love. This is one of those books that you don't want it to end.

Not a zombie fan? Me neither. I enjoy Walking Dead, (not to the same degree as my teenage son), but then it isn’t about the zombies, is it? It’s about people surviving in a post-apocalyptic world, the politics and the break-down of society. The zombie killings are for the fun of it, yes? So I wasn’t thin
Bonnie
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

‘It grows in the dark part of your head like a fungus. All the while eating holes in your brain until it’s a sponge full of virus […] That was what had happened to my mom. For twenty years, ever since the crisis, she’d been dying inside. A little more every day.

And maybe it had been happening to me, too.’

Finn has lived within the sheltered gates since he was born. The world outside is a complete mystery, yet the stories he’s heard has made him thankful for his safe and
AH
About 3.5 stars.
In a way, this book kind of reminded me of Julie Kagawa's Blood of Eden series but instead of vampires, we have zombies and people who have tested positive for the zombie virus. Positive is a new spin on the zombie apocalypse story. In Positive, the zombie apocalypse occurred about 20 years earlier. People live in the relative safety of walled cities. Our hero hails from Manhattan, where the subways are flooded and provide some fishing for our hero Finn and his buddy Ike. The zo
Jason
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
4 Stars

Positive by David Wellington was a pleasant surprise. I have truly been tired of the whole flesh eating, walking dead zombie scene. I cannot stomach another teen angst post apocalyptic puke fest. I am as turned off to the genre-gone-pop culture now, as much as I was once turned off to vampires a la Twilight. I am just bored of reading the same thing over and over again.

Wellington does this one right in that he gives us a protagonist worth routing for and a person worth caring about. Finn
Rikke
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I haven't much to say about this one, except it's lengthy. Or at least it feels a lot longer than one might expect. It's not that it's bad, it's just not all that captivating either. At times it could be a 2,5-3 stars read, but in the end it wasn't for me.
Timothy Ward
It has been awhile since I’ve been so engrossed in a zombie book. Wellington does a tremendous job adding subtle twists to the genre while delivering increasing tension as the adventure unfolds. Not many zombie stories are about the post-post apocalypse, and I was fascinated at how this second generation of survivors survived. The concept of how the virus incubates was very clever and presented a new kind of unsuspecting horror.

I loved our main character, Finn, and the main female lead, Kylie. V
Yodamom
4.6
New York City, Manhattan at leaf is still holding on. The surrounding cities are left to rot. The zombies, control them, living in the crumbling ruins. Manhattan is semi safe, not having seen a zombie in over 15 years. The island is a sort of safe zone, but still few dare to go down to street level, old fears die hard. When a young second generation boy catches a strange cockroach type thing and brings it home for dinner his whole word changes.
Positives, people exposed to the virus are sent o
Bob Milne
Given that I've grown rather tired of zombies, dystopian futures, and coming of age angst, it's surprising how much I enjoyed Positive. It's neither great literature nor a genre blockbuster, but David Wellington's latest is an entertaining tale of survival against all odds with just enough flourishes of creativity to (almost) balance out the moments of deus ex machina.

This is a story told in arcs, the first of which is actually the most interesting, as it establishes the world one generation rem
paula
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:

POSITIVE's post apocalyptic America is a scary place: walled cities that are barely surviving, a terrifying death cult moving in from the west, and endless stretches of open road with zombies at every turn. It's a wild, wild ride.

Finnegan is exiled from New York at 18, but he still feels very much like a child. He is a second-generation survivor, and he doesn't understand why the first-generation are so quick to panic. When he is thrust from the relati
Saraquael
Apr 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of the book was unique, but the author chose to fill his zombie world with the worst genre cliches imaginable. You've got The Hero (alternate title of this book should be 'Finnegan Explains It All'), The Princess (a sex slave, of course, with typical rape victim emotional issues), The Castle (aka, let's steal Alexandria from The Walking Dead, wall and all, and just run with it), and in between there's a whole host of lawless baddies (including both soldiers and pirates) who only exis ...more
⋟Kimari⋞
If I am reading scifi set on earth, I expect a semblance of recognizable science. The world building and science in Positive are nonsensical. I had similar issues with Partials (see my review). These passages are just a few that didn't work for me.

(view spoiler)
Cheryl
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as post-apocalyptic books go this is a good book. I found the world really believable. It takes place twenty years after most of the population has been decimated. So I could understand the rest of the human race's need to loot and fight each other. If you are living day by day just trying to survive and it is a dog eat world than you may have to kill just to survive as only the strongest and smartest survive.

In this book it really is the humans that are the strongest presence and not th
Michelle Morrell
Another YA zombie book, with noble heroes and bad people doing bad things to them. I found this to be pretty gritty in parts, though, above the typical YA glossings, and I appreciated the Mad Max feel to the first traveling sections. I also liked how the main character, Finn, never gave up and persevered against all odds to do what he thought was right, even if it was the "stupid" choice. It wasn't the most realistic portrayal of survival but it was engaging.
Erica
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joanie. Joanie. Joanie. And Tasha. Dystopia's finest. This is a good one. Sometime I thought I wanted to linger where he was a bit longer "to see what it was like" but in the end...yes. Not a literary work if genius but GREAT apocalypse stuff. Read soon. Very worthwhile.
Courtney
Nov 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Courtney
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
3.5 Stars

Anyone who knows me, knows that I will read just about anything that grabs from the blurb and cover. Positive was one of those and I was thankful to be given an arc of this book.

Positive is a post-apocalyptic book. Twenty years after the virus and zombies took over the world. Two generations left in the world - 1st generation (those who were able to live through it all) and 2nd generation (those who born after it and expected to continue on).

We follow Finn through his journey once he is
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
This book was pretty gritty, intense, and dark. I can see why people would dnf or hate this book simply because this book does not hesitate to show you how shitty people are, how fucked up things can be. This book also shows us that there are still some good things left in bad situations.

This book reminded me of a more hardcore The Walking Dead tv show-esque novel (granted I've only watched up to season 4). Consider the show a warm-up.

Don't get me wrong, the M.C. did some really stupid shit som
Stasia
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nom-nom-zombies
Through out Finn's entire journey I had no idea what was going to happen or how things would turn out. It does take place 20 years after the zombie apocalypse so they have become something of norm of the everyday living. This story was really about how people have made a life for themselves and how many have turned into the monsters they have living among them.
David
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall, an excellent end-of-the-world thriller. Lots of smart things to say about the way civilization falls apart and then potentially gets reborn.
Xxertz
I was torn between "OK" and "I like it" for this book, but, in the end, I don't think I ever really cared about thr characters. Sure, I was rooting for them and appreciated the growth.
David
Oct 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-hated
Hackneyed, derivative garbage. Adds nothing new or novel to the genre. Borrows from many other better novels, and probably most telling, from the Fallout game series for (originally) computer and later consoles (specifically Fallout: New Vegas). The ‘play-style’ of the protagonist is ‘paragon of virtue,’ despite growing up as the second generation in a dystopia. Not even a slightly crooked bone in his body, even to the point of absurdity. Ended up skimming a lot because it was just so terribly p ...more
Kristin
Usually when you come across a zombie story, it takes place during the outbreak or maybe a few years into it. Positive is the story of the zombie apocalypse decades after it wrecked havoc on humanity. Finn has no clue what it was like out there in the world when the zombies started popping up. He doesn’t know what it’s like to fight of hordes, be terrified all the time, or watch people get attacked. He grew up in a city that’s well protected from zombies. They grow their own food, and lead a nor ...more
Tonya
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First I have to say I was giving a copy of this book by Harper Voyager to review.
Second - don't let the two stars turn you away.

I'm learning something about book reviews - don't judge a book by it's stars. But I am going to give you my opinion of the book, BUT if you are into zombie-end-of-the-world-boy-meets-girl books. This is for you!

If you haven't read what this book is about here is the short and sweet version (oh wait, I think I already gave you that previously) Zombies take over the worl
Elaine
Too long and unoriginal. Before reviewing, I had to check and see if this was categorized as Christian fic. It isn't but probably should be, seeing as how 3/4 of it is a retelling of Moses leading his people out of Egypt to the Promised Land. With a healthy dose of The Walking Dead's hell-is-other-survivors trope, but still.

The setting is a post-zombie apocalypse America. Finnigan aka Finn, aka Stones, is living in what's left of NYC when a traumatic event exposes him to the zombie virus. Finn i
Jason Jauron
It was a competent enough read...
But the zombie genre is a bloated genre...
And this type of zombie-post-nuclear-savage lands-point of view-survival, etc has just been done better by a myriad of other authors.
Not a horrible book, but it just doesn't stack up to its peers.
Cathryn
Jul 14, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
7/14/15: $1.99 on Amazon Kindle.
Eric
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed it while it lasted, it's well paced and well written. But frankly, I didn't take anything away from it and am not going to give it any thought in the future.
  • Omega Days (Omega Days, #1)
  • The Dead Won't Die (Deadlands, #2)
  • After Twilight: Walking with the Dead
  • The Last Mailman: Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Zombies
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
  • Breaking News: An Autozombiography
  • Life Sentence (Dying to Live, #2)
  • Fall of Night (Dead of Night, #2)
  • Return to Woodbury (The Walking Dead #8)
  • Vacation (Jack Murphy, #1)
  • Among the Living
  • Those Poor, Poor Bastards (Dead West, #1)
  • Juggernaut (Outpost, #0.5)
  • The Crooked God Machine
  • Domain of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #1)
  • AZ: Anno Zombie
  • The Hidden Hills Saga: Book I: Ice Whispers
  • Carnage Road
David Wellington is a contemporary American horror author, best known for his Zombie trilogy as well as his Vampire series and Werewolf series. His books have been translated into eleven langauges and are a global phenomenon.

His career began in 2004 when he started serializing his horror fiction online, posting short chapters of a novel three times a week on a friend’s blog. Response to the projec
“For the first time I got a good look at the woman who, despite avowed intentions, had saved my life. I was surprised first to see that she was old. Her hair was silver, tied back behind her head in a no-nonsense bun. Her face was lined with wrinkles. On her head she wore a hat with a very wide brim, a kind of hat I’d never seen before. She also wore tight-fitting black pants and black leather boots and a brown leather jacket. A patch on her shoulder read PENNSYLVANIA STATE POLICE TROOPER. On the front of her jacket was a nameplate that read CAXTON.” 1 likes
“Nothing lasts forever, not even the horrors in this life.” 1 likes