Start by marking “Lone Star” as Want to Read:
Lone Star

Lone Star

From the bestselling, acclaimed author of Tully and The Bronze Horseman comes the unforgettable love story between a college-bound young woman and a traveling troubadour on his way to war—a moving, compelling novel of love lost and found set against the stunning backdrop of Eastern Europe.

Chloe is just weeks away from heading off to college and starting a new life far from
Published November 24th 2015 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published April 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Lone Star, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Libbysbookshelf SPOILER

SPOILER

I assumed that was Anthony Jnr as in Johnny's dad. I haven't read it in a while, mind you. I think I forgave her that because my heart skipped a beat when I realised I was seeing Tatiana and Alexander again. (less)

Start your review of Lone Star
Candace
'Lone Star' is a beautiful coming of age story, brought to us by the same author that gave us 'The Bronze Horseman'. It tells the story of a group of teenaged friends from Maine that set out on a European adventure before they begin college. I enjoyed this story immensely.

However, I couldn't help but to keep comparing it to Ms. Simons' better-know work, 'The Bronze Horseman'. In contrast to that epic story, 'Lone Star' fell noticeably short, despite being great in and of it's own accord. In so
Hildy
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book yesterday and needed some time to decompress before I sat down to write a review. I have read a handful of amazing books this year but this left me with such a book hangover that I feel very swept up in my thoughts right now, very little of which I can tell you because I don't want to spoil anything for those who are going to be reading this. I went into this knowing only two things: the title and the author. Knowing the author's name was enough for me.

Simons is the writer
Jill

Chloe Divine dreams of going to Barcelona. She and her friend, Hannah, and their boyfriends (who also happen to be brothers), Mason and Blake, take the journey of a lifetime before heading off to college. In Europe, they meet up with Johnny Rainbow, another American, who earns his way playing guitar and singing.

This is a contemporary novel, set in 2002. It’s written mostly from Chloe’s point-of-view in first person, but also in third person from other characters’ perspectives. Paullina
Helena
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ladies and gentleman stand up and applaud. Paullina Simons... Take a bow.

She's done it again. Just like in The Bronze Horseman, I turned the last page, fell down and cried. My heart hasn't ached like this over a book in a long time. I don't even have the words to describe it. This woman is incredible. No one writes LOVE like she does. She doesn't just write it, she creates love so strong on her pages it makes you feel she invented the word love. What did I know about love before picking up a Pa
Nicole
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"What words do you use to express the inexpressible?"

That's how I'm feeling right now about this book. I can't even express how much I loved it. All I'm going to say is this. I have a lot of friends that LOVE The Bronze Horseman series and Paullina Simons work as much as I do. To all of you, you absolutely need to read this book as soon as you can and then we can talk. I cannot wait for this moment.

Do not weep, Johnny says. Life is beautiful.

I LOVE YOU JOHNNY RAINBOW.

1st read July 3-6, 2015
2nd
Regina
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, netgalley
First up, it took until about the 20% mark for this book to grab me. Up until then was 'oh no, it's going to be a dud', and I was feeling very disappointed as I always look forward to novels by Paullina Simons. However, Lone Star ended up delivering the goods.

Fans of previous works such as Tully and The Bronze Horseman Series will really enjoy Lone Star.

I giggled, I got teary, I was shocked, I wanted to hit characters over the head due to sheer frustration and annoyance - all signs of a good nov
♥︎♥︎Sofia♥︎♥︎
Bloody hell, where to start....First wipe the tears obscuring my vision and blow my snotty nose! TMI? Yeah, maybe... This story is a unravelling, meandering surprise; it doesn't take you at all where you'd imagine and it's 'HEA' is heartbreaking.

I have read a lot of books in my life, more books that I will ever remember, all my life I have read. I was the little girl in the corner reading when all my friends and cousins were playing, I was the one reading rather than dating; so many authors, so
SissiReads
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am stunned, I am speechless and I am overwhelmed by this book! I have to say reading this book was one of the best decisions I have ever made for my bookish life. There is one part in this book that made me completely numb, I mean literally, I was physically not able to feel my arms and legs for a minute. My heart was racing so fast to figure out what just happened while my hands shook, and then I was filled with the warmest and the most satisfying emotions I have ever felt!

The story is about
Snooty1
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books
My heart is so full and bursting right now I seriously can't even think.
I'm in love.
Ok..I'm ready to review...
DON'T READ THIS REVIEW...DON'T READ ANY REVIEWS...JUST READ THE F*CKING BOOK!!!!!
Trust me...I trusted my friends and it was the best advice. Once your done...go nuts...read every review...but you won't be able to, because your mind and heart will have just exploded!!!!
I FEEL so much right now...so much...READ THIS BOOK. You'll thank me later...once you're able to talk to people after y
Abs
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh my heart.
4.5 ......The writing was amazing, I mean, it's Paullina Simons. There's parts of it that were so beautiful. And I got a little taste of the history I fell in love with in TBH series. Johnny Rainbow made this story.
Jacqui
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paullina Simon’s “Lone Star” is a conundrum. Its packaged as one thing but its really another thing altogether. Its touted as an “unforgettable love story” but its really a coming of age story. There is a love story in it, but its not really the one you think it is. Chloe Divine is 18 and about to embark on a European adventure with her boyfriend and close friends before she starts college. While in Europe she meets Johnny Rainbow, a fellow American with a golden voice and a mysterious past. He ...more
Sherryl Caulfield
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One reads Paullina Simons novels for many reasons: for the way she deftly weaves history into her stories; for the people she brings to life on the page and indeed into your life; for their existential angst; for the talent she has of making even the bland beautiful; for her breathtaking prose; and, above all else, for her love stories that you want to make your very own.

While Lone Star was a slow build, Johnny Rainbow and Chloe Divine are two such lovers.

Johnny has the promise of Paullina’s gre
Curlyhairlass19
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-fave-reads
5 Lone Star tears!

I don’t feel like this book gets enough hype or talked about like it should, but if you are a The Bronze Horseman Series fan then seriously, this should not be missed.

I will never get over this story and all the complexities in it... “Don’t weep for me, life is beautiful.” ~Johnny Rainbow ~
Donna
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"It's never too late to be what you might have been"
"You should always protect the things you cannot do without"
"Human beings spend their lives infusing finite things with divine significance, with infinite meaning"

As with any Paullina Simons book, there is so much more to the story than just the words on a page. Her writing is brilliant and she weaves together a journey you could never have expected but would take again in a heartbeat. With this book, what begins as a dream trip for four life-l
Book_loving_doctor
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Johnny Rainbow. I have no words, Paullina, I bow to you!!!
Trish at Between My Lines
Karen
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to borrow a phrase that came up in a conversation while discussing this book which I feel does a pretty good job summing up this reading experience and that is, this is a 4-star book with a 5-star experience. I have no problem giving this book a 5-star rating. The fact that it had me waking up to read in the wee hours of the morning and has left me with a 2-day long book hangover is enough to earn that rating. Since finishing the book, I've had to revisit several parts of the book and ...more
Carolyn
Chloe Divine has dreamed for years of going to Barcelona with her best friend Hannah after they graduate from high school. However, her plans have been complicated by their boyfriends brothers Blake and Mason declaring that they want to go with them and the fact that her parents won't let her go unless they go via Eastern Europe to visit family in Latvia and lay flowers in Treblinka where her grandmother's parents died. Although this doesn't appeal as much as going straight to Barcelona, Chloe a ...more
Joie de Livre
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Great writing,plot and description.The book was all about teaching you about traveling and the interesting facts of Latvia.The book at first looked pretty drama free but two hundred more pages and this book was full of drama.Chloe was not an interesting character and did not have a special element and so did most of the characters.If I could describe them in one word though it would be:
Chloe:Naive
Hanna:Responsible(and a little selfish)
Blake:Fun
Mason:absent-minded
Johnny:mysterious
I loved the dra
Nicole
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"What words do you use to express the inexpressible?"

Do not weep, Johnny says. Life is beautiful.

I LOVE YOU JOHNNY RAINBOW.

1st read July 3-6, 2015
2nd
Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
** Did not finish at 17% **

This book was tiresome. It was repetitive and overly descriptive.

There is nothing likeable about our narrator, Chloe, because she is upset at the world.

She is upset because her parents love her too much.

She is upset because she has big breasts, and feels she has to hide them for boys, so she will be taken seriously.

She is upset because her parents went away on holiday without her when she was eleven years old.

She is upset because she has a best friend that she doesnt
Cindy
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read several Paullina Simons books. The Bronze Horseman trilogy being one of my all time favorites. Red Leaves, I also enjoyed. And I just finished a two month slow journey reading Tully. When some of my book buddies started posting reviews about Simons new book Lone Star I was curious to say the least. Like most books it takes awhile to get into the story. About half-way or even more through, I was wondering 'whats all the fuss about?' I mean it's a good story a solid 3.5 star story but ...more
Heidi
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loved The Bronze Horseman series
At 17 years old and with a family tragedy overshadowing her past, Chloe Divine is a very much loved and over-protected only child growing up in a small town in Maine, US . With her best friend Hannah living next door and the girls’ boyfriends, brothers Mason and Blake, a mere few blocks away Chloe feels sheltered and secure. But Chloe’s life is about to change as she faces finishing school, leaving home and starting college a few thousand miles away. To celebrate their coming of age, the four yo ...more
Sheree
I love Paullina Simons' books ... Lone Star is the eighth I've read. The Bronze Horseman trilogy is one of my all-time favourites along with The Girl in Times Square. Simons' prose is breathtaking and in that, Lone Star does not disappoint.

Lone Star is Chloe Divine's story, a coming of age story. Chloe and her best friend Hannah, together with their boyfriends, brothers Mason and Blake are off on a European adventure, (or misadventure) before college; with a little side trip to Latvia and Poland
DJ Sakata
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult
Favorite Quotes:

“Is that what they called karma? Or was it simply what happened next?”

“Chloe didn’t know where to start. That she didn’t know how to start was more vital.”

“She had kept her dreams deliberately small, thinking they might be easier to realize, but now feared she hadn’t kept them small enough.”

“There was something about Johnny Rainbow that pierced her heart with both sorrow and gladness, cut apart the place which all of herself came from.”

“How do the rest of us stay so wrapped up in
Kristine
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

** I received an advanced readers copy from William Morrow Paperbacks via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!**

I was so excited to get my hands on this book. The Bronze Horseman is one of my all time favourite books and my favourite love story so I couldn't wait to see what Paullina Simons had come up with in Lone Star. I have to admit that I had very high expectations.

It just about kills me to say, but th
Jo Mcculloch
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I hate to say it, but Paullina Simons lost me a bit after book 2 of the Bronze Horseman trilogy. Tully is one of my all-time favourite books, and even though I've faithfully bought her standalone novels ever since then, she's never, for me, recaptured the brilliance of it.

Until now. This is a fantastic read - it does take a bit to get you hooked, but once that happens, it's an emotional investment. The last few pages had me ugly- crying, and to be blunt, I was pissed off the whole thing finished
Lynette
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So like other reviews this takes quite a while to warm up, thankfully I read it on holiday so was able to power through it quite quickly. That said, I had it at about a 3 star for most of the book, then in true PS style, in the last few chapters she stormed this book into a 5* read and it blew me away. I adore her for this. I had to immediately go back and read large sections again, but I can't divulge why without adding any spoilers. I can't believe how much I missed on a first read through.
If
Belinda
This book is slow. Like really really really slow. Like could have dropped a third of its pages and still been really really slow. SLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW........

Needless to say, I was not very impressed by this novel.
plumkindle
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have no words for how much I loved this.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Am I the only one who reads with their eyes closed? (**SPOILER) 4 49 Jan 26, 2017 01:49PM

• Czerń i purpura
  • Karuzela (Karuzela, #1)
  • The Girl from Munich (The Girl from Munich #1)
  • Wild Lavender
  • Breakfast at Darcy's
  • Gaza
  • Congo
  • Grown Ups
  • El latido de la tierra
  • The Tea Gardens
  • The Paris Secret
  • París
  • On the Scent of Perfume
Paullina Simons was born in Leningrad, USSR, in 1963. At the age of ten her family immigrated to the United States. Growing up in Russia Paullina dreamt of someday becoming a writer. Her dream was put on hold as she learned English and overcame the shock of a new culture.

After graduating from university and after various jobs including working as a financial journalist and as a translator Paullin

News & Interviews

“Lupe would have a lot to say about this. I can almost hear her gravelly voice in my head. There is no hate without fear, she'd say. Hate is fear crystallized, fear objectified. We hate what threatens our selves, our dreams, our plans, our freedom, our place in the world, our place in the hearts of the people we love. We fear first. Then we hate.

And I know what I would say to her in response. Lupe, I'd say. My troubles are just beginning.”
2 likes