Start by marking “The Errant Prince” as Want to Read:
The Errant Prince

The Errant Prince

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  492 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Myron's task is easy enough on the surface: locate the runaway Prince Tamsen and bring him home. But Tamsen is not merely a talented wizard, he's an exceptionally stubborn one, and dozens of others have already failed at the task. When he manages to find the cabin where Tamsen is hiding, Myron isn't foolish enough to mistake the find for a victory.

Instead of attempting to
Published February 18th 2015 by Less Than Three Press (first published February 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Errant Prince, please sign up.
Kiran Myron is a transman. He was always a boy, but was living as a girl before he came out.

Nikki
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Errant Prince is a fantasy novella, with an LGBT romance at the heart. It’s set in the kind of world that I love in fantasy, where we haven’t automatically copied over the things we’re bigoted about. Even the fact that Myron is trans doesn’t get as much attention as it might in our world, and as we would assume it would’ve done in medieval-esque societies. It’s also awesome that the issues in this story are not to do with the sexuality or gender of the characters.

It’s also nice that this is
Ami
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it

The Errant Prince is a sweet and conflict-free romantic-fantasy between an improper guard and a crotchety errant prince.

Since Myron is adamant to bring Prince Tamsen home, he sits down under the tree in front of Tamsen’s house to wait. Thus the beginning of the story feels quite slow. Myron alternates between waiting and doing whatever daily activities that Tamsen tells him to. Through this their friendship is forged.

I enjoyed their conversational exchange and the learning of magic – I
M'rella
A king's guardsman Myron, sent out to find and bring back a missing prince Tam, finds him in an enchanted cottage. They talk, they work, they play school of magic, where Tam spends pages and pages on teaching Myron some spell, they smooch, they cook and clean and so on. Nothing significant happens up until 45% of the book.

Then the prince suddenly decides to return to the royal castle to see his brother, the king. Tam magically transports Myron and himself to the king's quarters. Catching up with
Riina Y.T.
I'm so glad I found this story! :)

I instantly clicked with the characters–both were fun and cheeky and I always love some flirty banter and teasing. The Errant Prince is fun and sweet, a real Sunday afternoon treat.

It's very light on the romance –very low-steam level–but it's highly enjoyable and satisfying.

And there is magic! It was fun having Tam teach Myron some spells. Very nicely done!
Ije the Devourer of Books
A lovely story with romance and attraction between a taciturn and reluctant prince, and the soldier who is sent to bring him home.
Chris, the Dalek King
Prince Tamsen has successfully avoided being dragged back home for years. But Myron, a knight under the prince’s brother and king, intends to do just that. Ok, there will probably be very little dragging going on, but Myron intends to sit on the man’s front stoop if he has to until Tamsen agrees to go back to the palace with him. He is stubborn and he is patient. And he fully intends to get his man.

As the days go by, though, and Myron gets to know Tamsen-–and Tamsen gets to know Myron-–the two b
Didi
Let's see...
- A cheeky (magic-able) guardsman
- A wizarding (errant) prince
- A meddling (kingly) brother
plus some spelling lessons, the palace, a small cottage at the edge of the wood.

What can I say, I love this story. No extensive misunderstanding (I counted only one that really matter), witty banter and budding friendships of said guardsman and errant prince, loving siblings relationships despite the years of separation. The conflict was very minimal if nothing at all.

I wish Myron could solve t
H.V. Corbin
I absolutely loved it. As a trans person, I can vouch that the characterization of Myron is treated with respect and is not fetishized in any way - actually the fact that he's trans is treated as a non-issue, which is a breath of fresh air for a fantasy novel. The writing is snappy and the character dialog is witty. I liked almost all of the characters, even finding sympathy for Hartley, who I didn't like to begin with. The romance was cute, with just the right mix of sweetness and snark. Anothe ...more
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
Prince Tamsen ran away from the palace seven years ago to escape duties, and commitments that he just didn't feel that he was able to take on.  Now his brother, the king has sent out groups to look for him and return him to the palace.  Other members of the kings guards have been unsuccessful in finding or convincing prince Tamsen to return so Myron has decided to take a different approach.  Rather than forcing the issue maybe some persistence will eventually wear the prince down and he'll retur ...more
Deeze
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: quick-easy-reads
2.5

Maybe my mood was just off, but I never really got into this one.

I was interested in the 2 big mysteries, but once they were revealed I lost interest again.

Ended up skimming the last half.
emma
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
this was a cute story but it really suffered from the lack of plot or character development. happy to see some diversity in fantasy though!!!
Bárbara
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this, I did. The relationship between Myron and Tam was entertaining to read about- their interactions were fun and sweet; they had a nice evolution (although it may have seemed a bit rushed, but I'd blame it on the story being so short).

However, the writing itself was too simple at times, and the strongest part it had was the characters, which were distinct and original- but kind of blurry anyways. It could have done with a bit more elaboration, that's for sure.

In order not
Gabriel Enrique
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: epub
It's not a bad book but I felt it too short, as if it lacked some more pages. Or more action on its pages, perhaps?
Lena Grey
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
“The snow goose need not bathe to make itself white. Neither need you do anything but be yourself.” ~ Lao Tzu

Even in a fantasy world, people have certain ideas of appropriate behavior. Myron and Tamsen, of 'The Errant Prince' by Sasha L. Miller, are viewed for who they appear to be rather than who they are. Myron and Tamsen have cleverly found a way to overcome the roadblocks other people try to put in their paths; they've learned to shine in their own way and are determined to continue to do so
Book Gannet
I loved this little novella. It’s a sweet, easy read with a couple of likable characters in a lovely fantasy setting. Myron is great – a soldier sent out to fetch home a spoilt brat of a prince, but what he finds when he finally tracks Tamsen down is definitely not what he’s expecting. Far from the pampered little princeling of rumour, Tamsen instead lives alone right out in the country in a small cottage with a large herb garden. The last thing he wants to do is leave his home and return to the ...more
A Drop of Romeo
Ever since Prince Tamsen ran away from the palace seven years ago, he's been living the secluded life of a hermit, surrounded by his herbs and his books. Guardsman Myron has been charged to find him and bring him home. No others have managed to force him back to the palace, so Myron tries a different tact: patience.

Myron is an easily loveable character, easy-going and mischievous, and stubborn enough to outlast Tamsen. Tamsen, on the other hand, isn't what Myron was expecting at all. Despite act
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Reviewed at The Blogger Girls.

Years ago, Tamsen left his responsibilities as a prince by disappearing and no one’s been able to find the runaway prince since and that’s the way he likes it. But when Myron’s tasked with bringing the prince home, he takes a different approach and not only finds Tamsen but his patience in waiting Tamsen out gets under his skin. The problem is, Tamsen doesn’t want to return home because of the bad memories there but Myron won’t leave unless Tamsen’s with him. What’s
Alysa H.
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A charming little swords&sorcery-tinged romance featuring likeable characters that you want to squish together right from the first page. I would have liked to see more world-building though, which would have made the book a little longer and more fleshed-out. There were some interesting politics going on in the background -- all related to why Myron was sent to locate Prince Tamsen -- that tantalized without really following through.

Like most M/M romance fans, I suspect, I would have prefer
Melanie
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I wish I got paid to review books. If only. And yet, no. That's not actually a thing.

You know what? I really liked this! I wasn't sure starting out, since it seems like a small part of a much larger story and world, but it was complete enough for this short story. It's only about 40K words, so I would have loved more, but it wasn't necessary, you know?

Myron is actually the more mysterious of the two. He's got some se
Natasha
Nov 07, 2014 marked it as to-read
I'm actually really excited to read this one. :)
Citybones
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Es ágil y entretenido, con personajes LGTB (cosa que me sorprendió gratamente, no recordaba bien la sinopsis) que son memorables y adorables.
El mayor problema que tiene es que es demasiado corto y directo. se siente demasiado como un fanfic. El mundo y personajes secundarios está desdibujado para centrarse totalmente en la historia de amor, que al ser el centro de atención, está muy bien llevada y no se convierte en amor verdadero a primera vista, sino algo más natural.
Para la historia que es lo
Julesmarie
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m
A trans character in a fantasy story! This was wonderfully well done. I always hope that fantasy worlds would treat LGBT individuals better than reality has/does, and this world certainly manages to do that.

I thoroughly enjoyed the world-building, especially how magic works here, and the wonderful sweetness of the romance.
Sha
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incognito princes are one of my favorite tropes. I was biased to like this from the start, and it was a relief to sink into an egalatarian world with very little discrimination based on gender or sexual orientation, populated with no actual antagonists. I was really in the mood for this one.
Rachel
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely little read. This was exactly the kind of calm, sweet story I needed right now. Low-stakes conflict, but I was still invested in the characters and their relationships. The world wasn't extremely unique, but it made for a nice setting. I feel like a few of the themes/character arcs got left a little dangling, but not egregiously so. Overall a very pleasant time.
maggie
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
*bursts into tears* SOFTE

i kinda wanna lower it by a star bc myron could have easily been 25 instead of 20 and goodbye age gap but i rlly loved this book...esp how gender and sexuality flowed seamlessly ?? love me a book with gay and trans characters that focus on a different story :,)
Buttons
The third short book I read by Miller and I have to say I like her style very much. Similar to Megan Derr's works. Sweet and fun stories, witty characters who don't let others trample on them and no angst. Her stories are easy to read, have a light atmosphere and create a good mood.
Alison
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, sff, my-e-things, lgbtq
3.5 stars. This was cute and sweet and nice and exactly the sort of thing I was looking for at the time. It's easy and pleasant and light, but it's also well-written and has depth and great characters and an interesting story. It's relaxing fluff with substance.
adriennne
VERY GOOD I LIKED THIS A LOT it was very short tho, which means no drama, which means too bad. BUT I REALLY LIKED THE CHARACTERS!!! AND ALSO!!!! TRANS MAN MAIN CHARACTER!!!! WOAH!!!! NICE
anyways now to see if the author wrote anything else (plz)
Tailtiu
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
3,5*
Jason Spruill
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Funny, and love how the ftm main character is comfortable taking his shirt off. XD
Less Than Three P...: Giveaway - The Errant Prince by Sasha L. Miller - CLOSED 46 65 Feb 11, 2015 10:16AM
  • With Pride (Princes of the Blood, #2)
  • A Matter of Disagreement (Mechanical Universe #1)
  • Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)
  • Goblins, Book One
  • The Courtship of Julian St. Albans (Consulting Magic, #1)
  • Stealing the Dragon (The Dragon's Hoard, #3)
  • Twin Flames (Sumeria's Sons, #1)
  • A Wizard's Shelter
  • Consorting With Dragons
Sasha L. Miller spends most of her time writing, reading, or playing with all things website design. She loves telling stories, especially romance, because there’s nothing better than giving people their happily ever afters. When not writing, she spends time cooking, harassing her roommates, and playing with her cats.