Start by marking “Light a Candle for the Beast” as Want to Read:
Light a Candle for the Beast

Light a Candle for the Beast

If you’ve ever been caught in a riptide, pulled down into the water, then you know me. Or, more accurately, what I’m like when I’m angry.

Delia was beautiful, smart, and kind. He wasn’t. He said he loved her, but he didn’t know what love was. He was manipulative and cruel—more than a thief. A beast.

All she wanted was a rose…

These are the words on my sister’s grave. Her sad
Published November 26th 2014 by Roane Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Light a Candle for the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light a Candle for the Beast

Tracy Ehlers
Dec 01, 2014 Tracy Ehlers rated it really liked it
Light a Candle For the Beast... Echo Shea..

An intriguing short read with a mix of fairytale and mythology.. I always loved the fairytale of Beauty and the Beast and enjoyed the HEA.. This is not that story... That being said, Ms Shea creates a story that was unexpected but throughly enjoyed. The Beast! yes he was a beast and treated "Belle" (Delia) poorly to say the least. But with the help of her sister Eden, (a Naiad) who travels to the underworld to set the Beast Free..

I enjoyed this short s
Sherry Bohrmueller
Nov 24, 2014 Sherry Bohrmueller rated it really liked it
I received an ARC for an honest review. This was a fantasy, short story of forgiveness. Language was clear and descriptive allowing you to visualize the scenes. It was to the point and written very well. I definitely will read more by this author.
Dianne
Apr 18, 2015 Dianne rated it it was amazing
Enter to win an eCopy of LIGHT A CANDLE FOR THE BEAST
International where allowed - Click on Banner to enter!

What would you do to seek revenge for the brutality forced on your sister, making her a sightless shell of the woman she was meant to be? Eden is special, not quite human, a trait inherited from her grandmother and she has the power to curse the man who broke her sister. Andrew was a brutal husband and Delia died waiting for him to return, her heart, mind and body shattered and disfigured.
Sherry Fundin
Everything about Light a Candle for the Beast by Echo Shea appealed to me.
The punch packed into this super short is mind blowing.
I saw the raven or crow (Errol), whichever you would like to call it, and I knew it was watching over her.
The ghost of her sister talks with her.
It makes me wonder, does our need for revenge and our grief drive us to do things we normally wouldn’t do?
How far would you go to avenge the wrong done to one you loved?
Would you let it destroy you?
This wasn’t what I thought i
Michelle
Oct 27, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book. Ms. Shea has a way with words that tug at your emotions. This story is consistent with her other writing and you won't be disappointed if you are looking for darker romantic tale.

The writing gives a strong visual of a brand new world you never knew existed. This story is ultimately about forgiveness. You feel the main character's pain and almost can't believe the ending. I would love to read more about Eden's story.

Let me just say that I
Linda
Nov 24, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
Light a Candle for the Beast had an interesting premise and it did not disappoint. My only real complaint with the story is that I wanted more out of it. More background, more story. But this is, after all, a short story so it has the right amount of information and development for that.

I enjoyed Light a Candle for the Beast and should Echo Shea ever write an expanded version of the story, I would absolutely want to read it.
Linda Carroll-Bradd
Dec 01, 2014 Linda Carroll-Bradd rated it really liked it
Dark fantasy short story of romantic love about a woman who is wronged and the lengths her sister goes to protect her. An ages-long curse is lifted by acceptance and forgiveness. Evocative and haunting.
Anna Salamatin
Jan 03, 2015 Anna Salamatin rated it it was amazing
A fast paced fantasy about sisters. Two of them along with their mother were born human. Eden, the third sister, like the grandmother she named for is not.I am only going to tell you that she is incredibly special.....so, one of her sisters, Delia, met, fell in love with and married Andrew, who it turns out is a cruel and abusive husband. When Delia can't conceive a child, he beats her, even worse than usual. Eden tells her, it's his short coming, not hers. Andrew catches her with another man,( ...more
Veronica Rosa
Jan 12, 2016 Veronica Rosa rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, short-story
A short read, I wish it had been longer. The author did a great job at pulling me in although I was a little confused at first. Once things became clear, I enjoyed the ride. A shame it was a short one. I would've loved to learn more about Eden.
Jenny Schwartz
Jan 10, 2015 Jenny Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Quick review for an intense short story. "Light a Candle for the Beast" is a very intriguing world, written in a distinctive and gripping style, and dealing with some powerful issues. I got totally caught up -- and disagreed strongly with the ending, a sign of just how caught up I was.
Spunky N Sassy
Feb 14, 2015 Spunky N Sassy rated it it was amazing
SNS Rating: 5.0

~~~~~~~~~~Ashley's ★★★★★ Review~~~~~~~~~~

I received ARC copy of this book for a honest review. Sometimes you have to forgive to move on with life. Revenge is a easy way out but there will be regret and guilt for doing the right thing weight down on your shoulder.

~~~~~~~~~~Dee's ★★★★★ Review~~~~~~~~~~

Short fantasy that highlights one power packed episode. Writing was well done. Explanations painted the picture of what had been and now is. Details fueled a fascination for the plot a
Ashley Page
Mar 03, 2015 Ashley Page rated it really liked it
This is a short story around 24 pages, I would have loved for it to be longer! If the writer ever expands it to a full size novel I will defiantly be reading it. There was a lot going on in the beginning and it was confusing at first. Once everything came together I was able to really get into the story. This is a new twist on the original Beauty and the Beast and it was a fresh look at a classic story. Echo is a strong writer and that is clear from page one. I think the book would have benefite ...more
Suleika Santana -All About Books
*ecopy provided by the author for an honest review
Short story but very interesting and different in a good way. I liked the story line, it was a bit on the dark side. It kept my interest the whole time.
It is a fast read, less than 30 minutes.
Ren nerdychampagne
READ MY FULL REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!

Revenge. Letting go. Forgiveness. Acceptance. Regrets.

In very short pages, Echo was able to tell a wonderful story about all of those.

Light a Candle for The Beast is pretty much all the retelling of Beauty And The Beast that it said to be. Just with a twist of Greek mythology.

It was short, yes, and it wasn't enough for Eden's story to be grow more. Anyway, that story will only come into view if this was made a little longer.

Anyway, the book is great in every as
Stephanie (Bookfever. ❤)
I really liked Light a Candle for the Beast. In fact, it's one of the best short stories I've read in a while and it made me want more. The reason I loved it so much was that it isn't only a Beauty and the Beast retelling but it also features Greek mythology, which happens to be one my favorite things ever.

Aside from it being a retelling and featuring Greek mythology I also liked it because it was a rather dark story. I love stories that are dark so this one was really something for me. This cer
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Jan 15, 2015 Merissa (Archaeolibrarian) rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, short-story, dark
I received this book from the author in return for a fair and honest review.

This is a short re-telling of Beauty and the Beast. It is only 24 pages long so doesn't take long to read at all. However, during those 24 pages you will be immersed in the story and given a depth of detail usually only found in longer books. This is the story as told by 'Belle's' sister - not someone heard of much at all in the Disney version. In the original version, she did have two older sisters so this is more true
Book Nook  Nuts
Reviewed by: Tammy Payne- Book Nook Nuts
My Rating: 4 Stars

REVIEW

A new to me author.

This was a short dark fantasy story based on forgiveness. Somewhat similar to beauty and the beast meets the future.
Delia is sorely abused by the man she loves and her sister Eden punishes him with a curse of beast. He is locked in hell in a cell. Delia however wants Eden to forgive him and move on with her life after so many years
Katrina Sizemore
Dec 11, 2014 Katrina Sizemore rated it it was amazing
Echo Shea's Light a Candle for the Beast is a fabulous spin on the Beauty and the Beast tale. It revives the original warning nature of many fairytales. If I can't have my happily-ever-after romances, this is my next preference: lost souls struggling to find their way back to the light, and where those who deserve it get their comeuppances even if sometimes the good guy gets tarnished in the process.

I give this story 5 of 6 stars (which I round up to 5 on a 5 star scale) because while I revere E
Erika Eck
Jan 30, 2015 Erika Eck rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying that I was intrigued by this book after reading the synopsis and it did not disappoint! It is a quick read and I was able to read it within a day, which is right up my alley considering I have two little ones to chase around. It was nice to be able to finish a book in one sitting.
This story hooked me from the beginning. I'm not sure if it was because of the strong writing or if it was because of my love for the Beauty and the Beast story, maybe even a mixture of the two. I
Leanne 2GirlsWhoLoveBooks
Apr 05, 2015 Leanne 2GirlsWhoLoveBooks rated it really liked it
Very short fantasy loosely based on a darker version of Beauty and the Beast.
For the first few pages, I could feel my brow being pulled taut and I did actually have to go back and start again because it felt like I'd missed something. Once I got to grips with the whole thing though I was pleasantly swept away.
The imagery and vocabulary Echo Shea uses to portray her visions is breathtaking. I easily pictured this story playing out in my mind and could hear the characters talking to each other.
I
Sheryl Winters
Nov 25, 2014 Sheryl Winters rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper
I waited a while to read this story. I do hope the author forgives me. There is a sixth sense I have when it comes to books that will affect my thinking. I always listen to it and this one was a book worth waiting for.

First off the piece had a lovely lilting tone with a large dash of steel underlying each word.

The story itself was revenge with a twist. I enjoyed getting to know the two sisters and even the beast.

I felt for each party as it was clear that time and change affected all three parti
SydneyGen
Mar 20, 2015 SydneyGen rated it really liked it
Posted on SydneyGenReads.com

If you’re looking for a fast fiction read that doesn’t compromise on story, then this is for you. Reading this book was actually stepping out of my realm a bit. I’ve got to say, I loved every step of the way! The darkness of the original story is explored in this re-telling, and done is such a fantastical sort of way. The prose is dark and imaginative and I was immediately immersed into the world created by the author. It was a page turner that I thoroughly enjoyed.
N. Kuhn
Apr 18, 2015 N. Kuhn rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
*I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.*
I find it hard to rate this book. For the first half, I was confused I couldn't understand really what was going on. When I finally did, the book was halfway over, and it's not even a long read. I feel the author could have made this a little longer to better explain what was going on. I would have loved to have a clearer understanding of what was going on. By the end of the book, I was wanting it to not end. But it did.

On one hand I
Page Turners
Feb 03, 2015 Page Turners rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story and hope there is more to come in the future. This was an interesting twist on the age old Beauty and the Beast story. Two sisters, Delia and Eden, who love each other and one wants justice for the abuse the other sister has suffered. Eden puts a curse on Delia’s husband, Edward, because he is abusive and does not deserve Delia’s love but its Delia that has forgiveness in her heart for Edward. Now Eden must decide if she will answer her sister’s plea to lift the curse or lea ...more
Melissa
Mar 29, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Must Read Paranormal Fantasy Short!,

Echo Shea takes you on a terrific alternate spin on Beauty and the Beast. Even though this is a short tale it is complete in its telling. The characters are strong and the story is woven so that you stay in the story and don't get that sense that you came into the middle of a series and must be missing an important element to the story that many shorts leave you with. That being said I was left feeling that I wanted more, s great tale that ended too soon.
I was
Theresa Needham fehse
Apr 04, 2015 Theresa Needham fehse rated it really liked it
Free book for honest review. juliesbookreview.blogspot.com

Light a Candle for the Beast is a haunting, short story about the need to be able to forgive before it destroys you and, perhaps, those you love. There is a Beauty and Beast spin that makes the story een more appearling. It touched on so many emotions: forgiveness, love, abuse, punishment...

It made me wonder - who is hurt most when we withhold forgiveness? Us or the person we are trying to punish.

Best Regards,

Teresa S
Victoria Stolte
Mar 20, 2015 Victoria Stolte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Even though it took me no time to read this, I loved it. I was very surprised at how much I wanted more when I was finished. I found the beauty and the beast spin very intriguing. I was not sure how I was going to like it at first but Echo definitely made it intriguing. And although it is a short read it is packed with a-lot of detail and story. The only thing that did bum me out was the length. Overall it is definitely worth a moment of your time.
Katrina Curry
Dec 02, 2014 Katrina Curry rated it it was amazing
*I received this book in exchange for an honest review *

Light a Candle for the Beast is the first piece of work I've read by Echo Shea, and I am now eagerly looking forward to reading more by this author. This a dark, Fractured Fairy tale with intrigue in details on every page. There is nothing of the mundane confined to these pages. I absolutely loved it and experienced deeply - felt sorrow for the primary protagonist.  It may be a short story, but the experience offered so much more.
Lindsey
Feb 23, 2015 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
(I received a copy of this from the author in exchange for an honest review.)

This was an incredibly fast-paced short story, very loosely based on the Beauty and the Beast fairytale. It's a tale of the love of sisters, a beast, and forgiveness.

In testament of the author's incredible gift for writing, I was completely drawn into this world and invested in the characters - all in less than 25 pages.

Haunting and gripping, this is a gem of a short story.
Jen Winters
Jul 01, 2015 Jen Winters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woah Echo, dayum

Well done! I just have to say, I am enchanted. I am going to be following this author's works! I love UF and she nailed it on the head with this one. I love her character's strength and flaws and I hope to see more of her to come. She deserves a longer novel. Giterdun!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Celeste Files: Unlocked (Psychic C.O.R.E, #1)
  • Ellora's Cavemen: Legendary Tails I
  • Life After Dane
  • Dark Secrets (Arcane, #2)
  • Deadly Road
  • Island Ghosts
  • The Real Mother Goose
  • Daughter of Ireland
  • Leon's Lair
  • Dark Curtains
  • Redemption (Legends of Graham Mansion, #1)
  • Pokergeist
  • Serenya's Song (Tallenmere, #2)
  • Between the Waters (Symphony of Light, #2)
  • The Blake Soul
  • Dead Girl Blues
  • The Devil's Walk
  • Things That Go Hump In The Night
Echo Shea is an urban fantasy author.
She can be found avoiding house works, guarding her chocolate, and penning her next read.
Want more? Try her on Facebook, Twitter, or her website.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Echo-S...