Start by marking “The Dancers of Arun (Chronicles of Tornor, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dancers of Arun (Chronicles of Tornor, #2)

The Dancers of Arun (Chronicles of Tornor #2)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  455 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Watchtower was the first in a breathtaking fantasy trilogy...now the Chronicles Of Tornor continues. Kerris has spent seventeen years training his mind as scholar and scribe of Tornor. His brother Kel is one of the chearis - the dancing warriors of Arun - who teaches him the beauty of patterning. This gift has given order, peace and beauty fo the cheari culture. But all to ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Ace Trade (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Dancers of Arun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dancers of Arun

Helene
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could point to just one book and say "That book made a mark on me", it would be The Dancers of Arun.

Yes, Lynn has a choppy style of writing (which didn't bother me as much at 13 when I first read it as it does today). But she also created a world in this series that I didn't want to leave (and that I would still love to crawl into). Part renaissance, part Asian, part fantasy with a heavy focus on the links between art and war, it is Lynn's characters and, more importantly, her messages of t
Juushika
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Crippled as a child, Kerris lives in Tornor Keep and trains as a scribe. But he's long had an unusual psychic link to his older brother Kel--and one day Kel comes to him and offers to take him away with his chearis, a group of dancing warriors. The Dancers of Arun is a distant, indirect sequel to Watchtower, and each book stands alone; it's similar to its predecessor in all the best ways, and improves on some of that book's flaws. Characters and their relationships star, with plot serving only a ...more
Beth Haymaker
Oct 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Guilty, guilty childhood pleasure! (Oh so trashy, and yet...) *What was I doing reading this at TWELVE??*
Altivo Overo
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all readers age 13 and older
Elizabeth A. Lynn is a highly nuanced and subtle writer, and in my opinion doesn't receive the acclaim to which she is entitled. Arun is the second book in the Chronicles of Tornor series, and the best of the three. The others are also well worth reading, though, and read in order will provide puzzle pieces that serve to explain events and references that are shared among them.

All three books are coming of age stories (sometimes referred to as bildungsromans,) but this one is the most focused in
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time has passed since the events of 'Watchtower', and Van's groups of dance performers/martial artists, known as chearis, have spread throughout the nation of Arun, becoming respected as bringers of peace and balance, although already their inception and history are passing into legend, details forgotten.
Kerris, a young man crippled as a child in a violent raid, is suddenly picked up by the older cheari brother that he never knew, but whom he has always had a confusing and intimate mental bond w
Soneaselene
I simply love this book.
It's not overly fancy. there's no big "bang" anywhere. but there's character growth. and relationships. there's harmony in everything. the plot feels right and natural.
also: I love the ease with which sexuality and love is treated. people love each other for the sale of the other person, regardless of gender.
there's also different people with disabilities. but apart from Kerris' none of the disabilities is seen as such. they are simply a part of that person.
the open endi
mark monday
tough guys usually hug things out and are often on the verge of crying. in fact, when a tough guy is angry at you because you've made them feel small or stupid, sometimes they will do this awful crying/yelling combo thing which makes you feel both horrible and like you are about to get your ass kicked. it's the wusses who avoid manly hugs & tears!
Carolyn
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dancers of Arun. Elizabeth A. Lynn. Great integration of internal & external daily life. Community & prejudice. #LGBT #disability

Reviewed @reallyReads
Pam Baddeley
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Second in what would probably be marketed as a series if published now, as this book is set generations later than the events of 'Watchtower'. Kerris is a 17 year old boy who lost his arm when the caravan travelling North, escorting him and his mother, was attacked by Asech raiders. They were meant to be joining his soldier father, but his mother is killed and his father dies fighting elsewhere, so Kerris is raised by his uncle, the current lord of Tornor.

Due to his disability, he has few frien
Just_ann_now
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, wogf-2013
This was my "random" selection for the WOGF challenge. I didn't read any of the blurbs, so as to not go into the story with preconceived expectations (too much; it was on a list of fantasy novels with LGBT characters, so that was enough for me.)

The writing style is stark. The sentences are short. There is very little description. At first I felt these factors contributed to a sort of, I don't know, dreamlike quality, putting us in the same position as the main character, who was unsure himself
Lana
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a non-review. Way back in the 1980's, a friend of mine gave me this book to read--but only this book. She didn't tell me it was the 2nd book in a trilogy, and apparently I never noticed anything on the cover except the dancer. I was fairly young and not really into fantasy at that time anyway. The story was okay, but I was disappointed in the dancing scenes. To this day, I haven't read a description of dancing that does the act justice.

I never went back and read books 1 and 3.
Brownbetty
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was ok
Clearly this is the book people are referring to when they talk about this trilogy being slashy. Two brothers, separated since childhood, have a psychic bond that has kept them together. They belong to a special people with secret powers, and yes, it's pretty much as trite as you think. There's polyamory, and incest (the brothers) but despite that, I couldn't actually be bothered to finish this book. Feh.
Ruth
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: spec-fic
c1979: FWFTB: scholar, scribe, 17, patterning. Tornor. "He wanted to tell her that it did not matter to him that the woman of the Keep ignored him. He was used to it. He preferred it to the ridicule he might have gotten -- had gotten, more than once. To please her, he dipped his mug again in the amber syrup. An apprentice opened an oven door. The smell of baking bread filled the room."
Maryanne
Calwi
Sefer-Kels lover
Josen-scribe of Tornor
Paula-caretaker
Asech-tribe killed mother+cut arm off
Jun 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, glbtqa
I liked the first one (Watchtower) enough to keep reading, but I was sort of let down by the whole series. I'd read a lot of great reviews of Lynn's work, but the books just didn't live up to the reviews.
Hayley
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
The writing is not very good, the plots are pretty predictable but Lynn writes about a world where sexuality is diverse and no big deal. She also writes strong, layered women. I just can't get past the cheesy dialog and choppy, verb-propelled sentences.
Susan
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of the early reads which 'made' me into a fantasy reader. With all Elizabeth's novels, the simplicity of the language is something I've always wanted to emulate.
Carolyn
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
my all-time favorite fantasy series. 100% love.
Jim Mueller
I love the culture and world Lynn creates. I've been looking for more from her for years, but no luck.
Debi
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book i re read thru the yeas ive loved everything about it! i cant get enough of elizibeth lyns characyer kel!
Jean
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I recall liking all of Ms. Lynn's books -- they're saved in my "good books" box.
ACL
One of the first fantasy books I read as a young adult that grabbed me. Simple style is something I loved about it.
J.M.
Apr 29, 2009 marked it as to-read
I have the first book in this series and am interested in reading all three.
Jeffrey
Holly
Oct 15, 2012
Dana
Feb 26, 2010
  • Ring of Intrigue (Dance of the Rings, #2)
  • The Door Into Fire (The Tale of the Five, #1)
  • The Golden Sword (Branion, #4)
  • Glimmering
  • Brittle Innings
  • Return to Nevèrÿon (Return to Nevèrÿon, #4)
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • Merlin's Ring
  • All the Bells on Earth (Christian Trilogy, #3)
  • The Snares of Ibex
  • Angels of the Deep
  • Shadow of Ashland (Ashland #1)
  • Godmother Night
  • The Architect of Sleep
  • Through a Brazen Mirror
  • Tower of the King's Daughter (Outremer, #1)
  • Corambis (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #4)
Elizabeth A. Lynn is a US writer most known for fantasy and to a lesser extent science fiction. She is particularly known for being one of the first writers in science fiction or fantasy to introduce gay and lesbian characters; in honor of Lynn, the GLBT bookstore "A Different Light" took its name from her novel.
More about Elizabeth A. Lynn...

Chronicles of Tornor (3 books)
  • Watchtower (Chronicles of Tornor, #1)
  • The Northern Girl (Chronicles of Tornor, #3)