Start by marking “Claudia Must Die” as Want to Read:
Claudia Must Die

Claudia Must Die

Claudia doesn’t feel like herself anymore—she feels like prey. Her husband’s hired goons have stalked her all the way to Boston and will only stop their pursuit once she is dead.

Divorce is not an option. Instead, she has stolen a bunch of her man’s money to disappear into another life.

In order for Claudia to live, someone else must die. A lookalike college student become
Published December 8th 2014 by T. B. Markinson

To ask other readers questions about Claudia Must Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudia Must Die

Dianne
They say everyone has a doppelganger somewhere. But when your double, who you know nothing about, is the target for murder, your life is about to be turned inside out and someone may die. Get ready for the unexpected as T.B. Markinson takes us on a dark and twisted path of intrigue with a cast of characters that make the journey something unique! Claudia Must Die is the tale of a wife on the run from her deadly husband, who searches out someone who looks like her to use as bait, while she quietl ...more
Book Worm
Mmmmh, this story is not what you expect. But this is nothing terrible in my book at least. So if you like to be prepared, here's what you should not expect.
Don't expect a romance, there isn't any. There is love and grief instead.
Don't expect easy and likable characters. They are not easily likable, they are difficult, they have issues but they are not one-dimensional.
Don't expect mystery. There isn't any.

What can you expect? You can expect a well written story that keeps you wanting to go on re
Cindy
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Desperate times call for desperate measures. At least that must be how Claudia convinces herself that there is nothing wrong with her plan. Her abusive husband has two assassins hunting her down, so taking over someone’s life who is a carbon copy of herself seems like a logical way to solve the problem. It doesn’t seem to matter that the look alike will have to die to make her plan work, but we all know what happens to the best laid plans.

A good author knows how to evoke reactions that keep the
Susan Swiderski
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book as much as the others who've reviewed it, but my take on it is a little different than theirs.

Sorry, but I didn't see it so much as a taut thriller as I did a "Fargo"-like story populated with delightfully quirky characters who are forced into a strange alliance because of a botched murder attempt. Not that someone wasn't killed, mind you. It's just that the WRONG someone was killed. Oops. A wrong someone who happens to be the cousin of a red-headed, freckled, classics-readin
Chrys Fey
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Claudia Must Die starts with Claudia hiding from her husband and his hired assassins. At a coffee shop, she spots a college student named Parker who looks just like her. She watches Parker and even breaks into her apartment with the goal of taking over her life. When Claudia sends a letter to her mom, postmarked with Parker's address, it's bad news for Parker.

What happens throughout this story is shocking and made me wonder how anyone could do the things these characters do, which made this sto
Heidi
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a ride! On the run, trying to keep alive. Hunted by thugs. Finding a doppelgänger, that everyone thinks is your twin. It's a crazy adventure. I've read so many romances lately, that I kept waiting for the love interest to show up. This isn't a romance, but it is a great story. Moves along very quickly. Another winner from Markinson.
Corrie
This was an odd one. All the characters were assholes, there was no romance and they all tried to kill each other. But still it turned out to be an entertaining story.
Gloria Piper
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drama, thriller
The title is excellent. It is catchy and tells us what kind of story we can expect. Here is a psychological thriller that grips us from the beginning and holds us to the end. It is a story of anger and desperation and revenge, so adult language is no surprise. Nevertheless, for all the urges among its characters to kill, this story does allow a couple of amusing moments, one of which had me laughing out loud.

The story begins with Claudia and her predicament, so we assume she will be the lead ch
Mike Robbins
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
T.B. Markinson’s Claudia Must Die is a thriller, but quite an unusual one – part psychological thriller, part road movie, with a touch of bizarre comedy thrown in as well. And it does all sort of work.

The Claudia of the title marries what she thinks is a prosperous local businessman, and finds that he’s a thoroughly nasty crime boss. Worse, he treats her as a virtual prisoner and is violent. So she takes off to far-away Boston, taking a lot of his money with her. But he’s hunting her down. Then
Beth Ann
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC copy of T.B. Markinson's latest book and when circumstances prevented me from starting the read the book as soon as I received it I thought I was going to go nuts because I love her writing so much. When i finally had the chance to begin it I was amazed at how different it was from her previous books but different in this case is very good. I loved it.
Claudia refers to herself throughout the book as "The Hunted" and indeed as the story unfolds the reader can see how this title
A
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Packed with staccato excitement from the first-page, Claudia Must Die was hard to put down. Aside from the wonderful pace, this books delves into the harsh consequences of choices made. Characters work hard to build walls around them, yet Markinson manages to allow us glimpses of their true selves through the various cracks in their defense. A book that can be read as light thriller or for deeper meaning, which makes it perfect for any occasion.
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brclaudiamustdie
Finished reading: July 3rd 2015
1starrating

(view spoiler)
Rachel Barnard
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
hat if you could evade your imminent murder by setting up your doppelganger to die in your place, would you do it? For Claudia, it's a given that Parker must die. Claudia doesn't have room for guilt or remorse because Parker seems like she doesn't enjoy life or have any friends or loved ones. On the forty ninth day of Claudia's stakeout of Parker Mapes, the hired assassins show up to do the deed and Claudia's plan seems to be going flawlessly. That is, until Parker's lover shows up.

T.B. Markinso
Tracey
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was given an ecopy of the book by the Goodreads group Shut Up and Read in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoy reading suspenseful books because they hold your interest and you don't want to put the book down.
This book got my attention from the very beginning. Claudia and Dennis got married and she ended up giving up on the college and career path because she thought that she would be happy and content as the loving housewife.

She didn't know much about Dennis and didn't realize that he was
Christine Rains
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Claudia has become the hunted. Her mobster husband will stop at nothing to see her dead, and Claudia will do whatever it takes to stay alive. Even if that means she has to set another woman up to take her place. Everything erupts into chaos when the assassins miss and an innocent woman is killed. Claudia is back on the run, and this time, she's hitched a ride with her lookalike and vengeful friend. Surrounded by people who want to kill her, how will she survive?

This unique thriller keeps you on
Lexa Cain
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Claudia is on the run from her dangerous husband’s hired killers. When she sees a look-alike, a sneaky plan forms in her mind. From that point on, just about everything goes wrong for her. The plot of this book never went where I expected it to; there were always surprises that kept me entertained.

Although the three main characters (Claudia, Parker, and Francis) seem to be solitary and uncommunicative at first, as the story progresses we find their taciturn outlooks actually hide mountains of e
Dylan Hearn
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
You're married to the mob and you want out. What do you do? Run away, find a double and arrange for them to be killed instead of you, of course! But when the wrong person is killed in error, the actions of the mob wife, and her ex-husband, will come back to haunt them.

Claudia Must Die is a fun read with plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. While the title focusses on Claudia, the wife, the true protagonists are Parker, the student and double of Claudia, and Francis, the ex-mil
K.S. Ferguson
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This short work begins with a peek at Claudia, for whom the story is titled. But before we get much of a look, the author has moved on to another character, and then another and another. None of them are particularly likeable. Over the course of the adventure, we see each character's backstory, which helps explain why the characters behave as they do. Strangely, it doesn't make any of them more sympathetic or likeable than they were after their short introductions. By the end, they've all been r ...more
Nick Wilford
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Claudia Must Die was an excellent thriller, it pulled me along and kept me turning the pages. It was a quick read too. It concerns a dysfuntional group with various issues who are brought together through a tangled web revolving around murder. Despite their conflicts they end up uniting for a common goal, but the tension between them is palpable and uncomfortable at times. Markinson leavens the story with a good dose of dark humour, though. The characters aren't particularly "good", but somehow ...more
Medeia Sharif
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Claudia is on the run. She stole a lot of money from her abusive, deranged husband, and he sends some goons after her. She needs a plan, so she can have a normal life without being pursued. When she espies Parker, a college student who looks exactly like her, her brain gets into gear. Parker might be the key to her freedom.

She leads the goons to her doppelganger. When an assassination goes wrong, Claudia’s plan backfires on her. Not only is she hunted by her deranged husband’s thugs—who are also
Charlene
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

When the author asked if I'd like to read Claudia Must Die and provided me with the book blurb, I really wasn't sure what I was going to get. This is the 4th book I've read from T.B. Markinson, and each of them has been unique. This latest however seemed like a real departure for her. Again, not really sure what I was going to be reading...and what a lovely surprise it turned out to be!

Claudia Must Die is written in a quirky, sim
Michelle
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Claudia James is on the run from her abusive husband.
She has relocated about 7 times, is at her wit's end, desperate for a way out of this nightmare.
She spots her double, a college student who looks just like her.
This seems like a solution to this crazy situation, so she hatches a plan and breaks into the woman's apartment.

Her husband, Dennis, has hired two assassins. They are not trained killers, but take their work seriously.
He gives them ten days to find her and complete the assignment.

Me
Roughseasinthemed
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This has to be my favourite book by TB Markinson. It was clever, funny, witty, quirky, and nicely different.

The range of diverse characters, the interesting plot, the road trip, were all pulled together in a sophisticated yet sparse style with some sharp and punchy prose.

Despite the plot, it's an easy and enjoyable read, that still has depth to it. Good ending too. Very ironic.

A recommended read.
Mark
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fast read with a bit a of adventure thrown in with humor.
About the only thing that drove me kinda nutty while reading this book was the constant reminder throughout the whole book about how one of the main characters was a student. Referred to at times by her name then other times she was just referred as the student. Couldn't quite understand the reason for that, but other then that I came across no editing issues.
Will most definitely keep an eye on this author for other books
Will Decker
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting style of story telling. A bit like noir, but not quite. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, the editing was clean, and the characters very well developed. It's a bit twisted, a bit humorous, and a lot surreal. Yet it's a thriller at the core of the story with hit-men, damsels in distress, and innocents getting in over their heads. A real twisted but delightful piece of work.
Mary Rowe
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quick, Fun, Black-Humored Read

As a spoiler, the selfish ones do get their comeuppance and the righteous get their peace and quiet after all. Not sure whether Francis ever changed professions, and no indication of what Parker might have done with her advanced degree in math, though. :-)
Elizabeth Maher
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Funny, suspenseful and unexpected.

The author has written a gritty, hilarious novel that combines mystery, excitement, and laughs. It is an assortment of oddballs who get thrown together by circumstances. It really reads as a good book that should be made into a movie.
Debra Barstad
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an okay book not much to it. fast read.
Pearl Zhu
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is not a type of book I usually read, I received it from the author for a book review exchange program. Either for learning or entertaining, the variety of books just like the different widows, when you look through them, each delivers the different vision and conveys varying messages; even most of us prefer to see the bright side of life, we have to admit, the dark side existed somewhere, nearby or far away….

The author was skillfully weaving a gritty novel well mixed the mystery, diverse cha
Tere J
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a entertaining ride. It was super fast paced - I wouldn't go as far as calling it continuity, just didn't bother with details that weren't necessary. So if you're one that likes to know about every detail in a book (like what's on the coffee table, what TV show was playing, (how did the TV show end); then this isn't for you. But I sure enjoyed the fact that the story, was about the story and the characters and not 20 million other things!

It was a quick read (I added it to my good
Around the Year i...: Claudia Must Die, by T.B. Markinson 1 6 Jun 08, 2018 04:56PM
  • So Far Gone
  • Ice Born (The Texas Kaldr Clan, #1)
  • Promised Valley Rebellion
  • Partners
  • Massacre'ade Party
  • Hidden Love (The Hidden Series, #4)
  • Changeling (The Incubus Saga, #2)
  • The Real Finn
  • Wicked Solutions (Wicked's Way #1)
  • Dark Matter Tiding
  • Truth in Lace (Desires Entwined #3.5)
  • The Awkward Owl
  • The Convergence Theory (Blood and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Fortunate Soul (Soul Reader, #3)
  • Slake (Feral Riders #1)
  • Cover Me Boxed Set: The Complete Trilogy
  • The Bones of Summer (Maloney's Law, #2)
  • Bad Boy: Naughty at Night (Bad Boy: Naughty at Night #1)
T. B. Markinson is an American writer, living in England. When she isn't writing, she’s traveling the world, watching sports on the telly, visiting pubs in England, or taking the dog for a walk. Not necessarily in that order.
“Claudia’s eyes grew ten sizes when she saw Parker was armed once again. Great! Now she was being locked up with an eerily calm lunatic and an attack dog loyal to the lunatic.” 0 likes