Start by marking “The Curious Snowflake: A Parable” as Want to Read:
The Curious Snowflake: A Parable

The Curious Snowflake: A Parable

What happens to a snowflake when it falls?

To a snowflake, falling may be the scariest thing in the world, but the Curious Snowflake longs to know the truth. She travels throughout the Great Cloud, asking every snowflake she can what happens when they fall, and finds that, while everyone has ideas about it, none of them truly know.

Then the Curious Snowflakes falls herself a
Published June 18th 2010 by booktrope

To ask other readers questions about The Curious Snowflake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curious Snowflake

Start your review of The Curious Snowflake: A Parable
Akylina
There are some books that you read and enjoy but they do not leave a lasting impression on you; you end up forgetting them sooner or later. There are other books, though, which find a way to crawl and creep into your heart and become your companions. I feel such an utter delight whenever I encounter such a book and "The Curious Snowflake" is definitely one of those.

I am always amazed when such a short book can manage to have such a big impact on its reader. I really enjoyed its format and writi
Nerisa  Eugenia Waterman
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
UPDATED ON 12/20/2014
Now Includes Author Interview

“The Curious Snowflake”….A heartfelt and unforgettable story…a parable of religious and spiritual beliefs, written in a style of …who would of guess it…a children’s story. The theme of one’s search for spiritually and the meaning of life as it relates to truth, trust, and love spoke to me in such a way, that I was actually amazed that this was a Children’s Book.

In many ways, we often learn that the greatest obstacle in life is Ourselves… our Ego
 Reading Reindeer
Review: THE CURIOUS SNOWFLAKE

An engaging fable for adults as well as children [for who among us isn't curious and adventurous at heart?), THE CURIOUS SNOWFLAKE is a parable and at its precious heart is the lesson First Flake imparts to Curious Snowflake: the truth is in your heart. Listen to it.

This is an adorable story for parents and grands to read to their young ones. Adults, read for yourselves and find you are nodding wisely throughout.
Leta Hawk
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading The Curious Snowflake by James C. Struck. My first impression, based solely on the title and the cover design, was that this would be a quick,lighthearted read. Well, you know the saying, “Don’t judge a book by its cover”? Yeah, that.

Don’t get me wrong; it was quick, and it was for the most part lighthearted, but it was so much more than that.

The story follows Curious Snowflake as she travels through the Great Cloud, asking all the other snowflakes her deep questions of l
Carla Johnson-Hicks
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
When I first saw this book, I thought it was just a cute children's story, but was I wrong. This book can be read by all ages and based upon your age and maturity, you will be able to draw different things from it.

The basic question that The Curious Snowflake wants an answer to is: "What happens when we fall?" She asks all the various types of snowflakes in the Great Cloud and does not think they answer her question. As well, they get quickly tired of her questions and want her to stop. She cont
Dennis Sharpe
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As deep and profound a story as any that I have been proud to share with my children. The lessons so adeptly shown in this tale, from the different groups of snowflakes to the First Flake, to the Ocean, so many parallels can be drawn and so many quality conversations can be started from the wisdom of this parable.

To quote the Ocean from this story: “Precisely, dearest child. That is the difference between good and right. Right is based upon a choice, a decision to live a certain way and to stic
Tanja
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very unique little book, highly philosophical. I was intrigued by the story from the very first page, a curious snowflake with lots and lots of questions, the most pressing, what happens to a snowflake when it falls. I liked all the philosophical discourse and the way the story touches on the water cycle. While I could imagine this book to make a really great classroom read aloud, I am not sure how independent young readers will respond to the story. Will they comprehend? Will they have the pa ...more
Linda Parkinson-Hardman
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Curious Snowflake is a beautiful parable for our times. It perfectly parallels the journey individuals can go through finding their way ‘home’ again, wherever home happens to be for them. It reminds us that we are all born of ‘one’ and will return to that state again, before making our next journey into this thing we call life, the learn yet more lessons.

I am sure that everyone can take something away from this little book, whether they are 9 or 90 – it will speak to both the child and the w
Irene
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I WANT TO READ THIS BOOK TO MY CHILDREN IN THE FUTURE (well, if I'm going to have them).

“Why do you ask so many questions?” said the other snowflakes. “Why are you always so curious?”
“Because,” the Curious Snowflake replied, “everything around us is so wonderful— I just want to understand it all!”
Michelle Fairbanks
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and can't wait to read with my children when they are a little older ... Such a lovely story with some big questions for kids and adults alike! Beautiful.
Courtney
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
My children love these little books. They thoroughly enjoy each and every story, as if they are all unique and individual without any cause for similarity among them. Even though sometimes, they might seem tedious and repetitive to me as a parent, I do enjoy being able to read short-stories to my children that are clean and respective.
Tina at Mommynificent
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great for readers who have enjoyed Max Lucado's children's stories, this little parable will touch your heart and you will want to read it again and again. I love this type of story that is simple enough for children and deep enough for adults to enjoy as well.

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley.
Linda Pershing
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes you pause and think

Takes the reader on a curious but enlightening journey. I quickly wanted to join the snowflake and get the answers with him/her. After reflecting on all of his/her journey I will reread this book soon to more clearly see and linger on the embedded lessons of life that were there but often missed on the journey.
Julie Barrett
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Curious Snowflake by James C. Struck
One snowflake needs to find out about things and asks hundreds of questions. One time she asks what happens with they fall. They live in the Great Cloud and she goes to find out...
She travels to other sections of the great cloud and asks many others....
Acknowledgements and dedication at the end with a note from the author.
Kim
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story using the analogy of a snowflake to help with understanding our Soul. An easy afternoon read. I truly enjoyed the story and the message.
JoyfullyDazed
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read.
Julie
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, this totally made me cry. It was so, so cute and well thought out!
Dana
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a new age parable written like a children's story about a curious snowflake who wants to know what it is like to fall. She goes to several different groups of snowflakes and each group strives for a different value - beauty, goodness etc..., and even though the curious snowflake is not the same shape as them, they eventually recognize her diligence and feel that she has attained their value, but they are angry when she goes to explore other groups. Parts of it were quite repetitive, whic ...more
Soudha
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read-books
The curious snowflake asks the same questions so many of us want answers to. Where do we come from? What is the purpose of our existence? Her questions lead her on a journey through the Great Cloud, where she encounters different snowflakes, each one with a theory of his own.

What I really liked about this book was the fairytale-like tone of the story as well as the very endearing snowflake who serves as the main character.

The one thing I would say I enjoyed less was the repetitiveness of the s
Tina
Jan 03, 2016
M.L. Desir
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Water Cycle and Lesson and Social Commentary

This book's beautiful simplicity discusses complex concepts in a constant growing world. With its easy to understand message of acceptance, patience, and understanding people of all ages can appreciate. The poetically repetitive dialogue and sentences possess a charming Eric Carle flair. I would love to see an illustrated version of the book someday!
Carol
Feb 23, 2018
Debbie Oliver
Nov 22, 2016
Monica
Dec 17, 2014

• Emergency Skin
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2)
  • Waking (Clockwork Twist #1)
  • Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1)
  • Vengeful (Villains, #2)
  • Free Comic Book Day 2018 - Adventure Time with Fionna & Cake
  • Essential Art Therapy Exercises: Effective Techniques to Manage Anxiety, Depression, and PTSD
Born, raised, and lives in Illinois, youngest of a ridiculously large family. B.A. Cum Laude from Columbia College Chicago in Music Composition, for all the good it's doing him now.

James is a New Age philosopher who also dabbles in modern fantasy, speculative fiction, and poetry. He is currently working on a longer philosophical work titled "A Theory of Oneness" and a YA modern fantasy novel tenta