Start by marking “Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2)

Dragons of Winter Night

(Dragonlance: Chronicles #2)

They won their first real battle in the war for Krynn, but the war has only just begun for the Companions! Friendships born in conflict will be torn apart. Hope will rest on the shoulders of a disgraced Knight and his two inexperienced companions. Worlds long divided by hatred and prejudice will either band together in a last struggle against darkness - or perish for all t ...more
Published April 10th 2007 by Devil's Due Publishing (first published April 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dragons of Winter Night, please sign up.
Jimmy I received this book for my 12th birthday in April of 1985. The book had just came out and my mom got it from Waldenbooks . I still have all my dragon…moreI received this book for my 12th birthday in April of 1985. The book had just came out and my mom got it from Waldenbooks . I still have all my dragonlance collection and still looks brand new . So yeah enjoy the book. I have fond memories of the series. If you want, here is a site to read the books in chronological order. But the Chronicles series is what most of us started out with - https://www.alltimelines.com/dragonla...(less)

Start your review of Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2)
Markus
This is not the rating this book deserves, but I suppose it is the one it needs right now.

All evidence suggests that the old gods are finally returning to Krynn after centuries of exile. The Dragon Highlords and their armies of darkness are marching all over the world, conquering everything in their way. Meanwhile, our band of heroes is split apart in a search for the lost dragon orbs, which may be the key to turning the tide in the war…

Imagine reading a version of The Lord of the Rings where El
Mayim de Vries
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“I saw two roads stretching before us. If we take the easiest, it will appear the best at the beginning, but darkness will fall at the end, never to be lifted. If we take the other road, it will be hard and difficult to travel. It could cost the lives of some we love. Worse, it might cots others their very souls. But only through these great sacrifices will we find hope.”

The Queen of Darkness and the Warrior constellations are missing from the sky because the gods returned to Krynn and are locke
trina
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy-loving nerds
Recommended to trina by: evil evil chris
MissBecka
This book has a lot more melancholy than this first of course, but I still love it!
Brad
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-my-kids, fantasy
I have read Dragons of Winter Night a number of times since it was first published, and it has always been my favourite of the Chronicles.

This time I just finished reading it out loud to my four year olds. A long undertaking, and one that was necessarily sporadic. Some nights we read, others we didn't, and how much we read was dependent on levels of sleepiness, focus and interest. But it was well worth the effort because my kids loved the story, and I can see it helping to expand their imaginati
Oliviu Crâznic
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read both Tolkien`s Lord of the Rings and Martin`s A Song Of Ice And Fire - to a certain degree of pleasure. Both series are remarkable on their own right, however, both dissatisfied me in the end: both stories lack verosimility, and Martin`s characters showed inconsistencies quite hard to buy (though in Dying Of The Light, for example, the story and the characters were flawless - but that was science fiction, and we are speaking now of fantasy).
I loved far better Stackpole`s Age Of Disco
nat.
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
still wonderful to read. great character development. Laurana is my favorite so far, you can tell how much she's grown since the last book. and Sturm... why?!!!!
Traci
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Okay. Yes, I still love these books. But at the same time I am not blind to their faults. It's like loving your husband of twenty years even though he now has a beer belly, has lost most of his hair, leaves the toilet seat up and chews with his mouth open.

Every stereotype of fantasy is here. Every gaming class. The battles are bloodless. The deaths heroic. And only bad girls have sex. (Although apparently it's fine for male heroes.)

It won't be the best series you've ever read if you're over twe
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
RTC
Jim C
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book of a trilogy and the first book must be read before this one. In this one, we have a little bit of a time jump. The conclusion of the first book was the rescue of the humans by our companions. This one starts off with those humans residing with the dwarves and everything is not okay. Good might have won the battle against evil but the war is far from over.

I have read this trilogy several times and this easily gets a five star rating from me just for the nostalgic factor.
Lesa Divine
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 🌟
The adventure continues as the group keep on with their journey with enemies on their tail But picking up others on their way can they be trusted.

Dragons, gnomes, goblin, elves, dwarfs, kenders, mages and more on this journey.

I'm totally going to continue on to book 3.
Helen
Why is everyone so down on Raistlin? He consistently saves everyone every time they're in danger. They'd be dead (well, Dragonlance dead, which is dead until they're needed again for the story) 100 times over if it weren't for him.

The raging sexism is also starting to annoy me. It's a fantasy world, why do the elves have to stick to old-school European rules too? Why are all the women appraised on how beautiful they are?

And I really wish the authors hadn't tried to put romance in, it's instalo
Ralph Pulner
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allison ☾
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Why was I different? Sturm wondered. But he knew the answer… It was because of the dwarf, the kender, the mage, the half-elf… They had taught him to see the world through other eyes: slanted eyes, smaller eyes, even hourglass eyes.
Knights like Derek saw the world in stark black and white. Sturm had seen the world in all its radiant colors, in all its bleak grayness.”

This was at times hilarious and heartbreaking. The group is splintered and it’s obvious that they work better when together,
Jason Koivu
Feb 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Dwarves, elves, wizards, war, the kitchen sink...Great balls of dragon fire, this has it all! The heroes we met and fell in love with continue their adventure. Evil is on the rise and war is on the way. The action accelerates and the tension tightens...so why only three stars? The writing is serviceable. Three books in this popular series were churned out within two years. The publishers were pushing them out the door as fast as they could be written. This second volume is rife with repetitious ...more
Josh Bland
May 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Stephen
4.0 stars. These books are a ton of fun and I think they are really well done. The heroes are larger than life, the villians are mega evil and Raistlin, who is a little of both, steals the show. Highly entertaining and highly recommended!!
Malum
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: games, fantasy
Middle volumes in trilogies are usually a time for the writer to kick the crap out of the heroes, and this novel is no exception as the story gets a lot darker. The action also ramps up to include huge armies facing off.
Zoran Krušvar
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Look, these books aren't really THAT good, but I love them. So I'll give them a bunch of stars and that's it :-p
Charlton
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Not a bad book,there were times you really pulled for the group.And Tasselhoff provided plenty of comic relief.
Leona
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I have been feeling quite ashamed for not getting around to reading the fantasy classics everyone read as teenagers, so I’m fixing it one book at a time. Dragons of Winter Night is more of a page turner compared to the first book, it’s thick with action, tension, suspense, twists and turns with a touch of humor. The scenes with Fizban and the gnomes were hilarious.

In this book things were surprisingly more grey than I expected. There’s no black and white and even the most honorable, utopic facti
Yoly
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fourth time’s the charm?

So many things happen in this book, so many things that even though this is my fourth re-read I had forgotten. I don’t know if it’s nostalgia or that I needed to go back to Krynn or what, but this read felt amazing. I could hardly put it down, and I don’t remember feeling this way the previous times I read it. Maybe because I’m older (and hopefully wiser) I was able to appreciate everything that was going on. I also think this book has more depth than the previous one
Frank
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No spoilers.
In this second book of the original trilogy, we find the group on another quest, however this time they are separated into two groups. one still searching for the Dragonlance the other left to fight the evil army trying to seize the land.
There is quite a bit that occurs to our characters, and with a sad ending, this go around.
Jenn
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The second book in the Dragonlance Trilogy series is a book that can not be put down! The story picks up with the companions after they have escaped Pax Tharkis and killed one of the Dragon Highlords. They fight their way across those country searching for answers to their questions, and find a way to win the war. The companions split up whilelooking for the mysterious dragon orbs and the long lost Dragonlances of children stories. Rasitlin continues to mysteriously get stronger as a strange voi ...more
Rick
I started this series because some friends told me that they loved it more than The Lord of the Rings. That seemed like a fairly worth while recommendation. I was certainly surprised to discover that this not even in the same league as Tolkien. They did say that it starts out a little rough, but once you get into it the story really takes off. Well, after finishing the book I kept wondering when it was going to get better.

After finishing it I decided that I needed to re-examined all the recomme
Dylan
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
DragonLance: Chronicles and Legends are two trilogies that hold a really special place in my heart. So much so that I can't really divvy them up into separate reviews. I don't even think I could give an objective review of the books.

But if I know this: if I've had to replace a book from over-reading, that's amazing. I've had to replace these 6 books so many times that I keep spare copies around just in case. True story.

Chronicles Trilogy:

Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Dragons of Winter Night
Dragon
Joseph
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
More nostalgia. Yes, this is definitely a middle book. Yes, it has weird time-jumps and omissions (many of which, I'm sure, have subsequently been filled in with the Lost Chronicles; but I haven't read those yet). Yes, the writing for the most part remains adequate at best. And yes, the events at the climax of the book (view spoiler) still hit me surprisingly hard.

So yeah, somewhere between .5 and 1 of the stars are for nostalgia (and I
Dan Call
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Fairly predictable fantasy-adventure novel that I read about 25 years ago. I decided to go back and re-read the entire trilogy to see if there's anything more there. What really works for me in this series is the richness of the characters - almost all of them seem to sit atop a thoroughly developed backstory. Big shout-out to the authors for creating Raistlin: as fascinating a magic user as was ever written.
Shobhit Sharad
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dragonlance
Lundos
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's been a long while sine I've read this and I've skipped the first one for a buddy read.

Still, I remembered most of the characters, and why wouldn't I? This series was the first fantasy series I read in English, so it has a strong sentimental factor. Raistlin is still - after all these years - one of my favorite characters.

The writing isn't pretty. At least not after just finishing Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, but the story still flows very fast. I believe this was played as a D&D
Goodreads Librari...: Book entry should be an edition 2 10 Jul 06, 2020 03:21AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Dragons of Winter Night [Jan 10, 2018] 61 44 Jan 28, 2018 05:22PM

• The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1)
  • Kaz the Minotaur (Dragonlance: Heroes, #4; Heroes II, #1)
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • Brothers Majere (Dragonlance: Preludes, #3)
  • Darkness and Light (Dragonlance: Preludes, #1)
  • Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • Kindred Spirits (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #1)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • The Dawning of a New Age (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #1)
  • La reina de la oscuridad
  • Wanderlust (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #2)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • Dark Heart (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #3)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Oath and the Measure (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #4)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more

Dragonlance: Chronicles (4 books)
  • Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3)
  • Dragons of Summer Flame (Dragonlance: The Second Generation, #2)

News & Interviews

“How do you know they're magic and not some mechanical device of the dwarves?" Tanis asked, sensing that Tas was hiding something.
Tas gulped. He had been hoping Tanis wouldn't ask him that question.
"Uh," Tas stammered, "I---I guess I did sort of happened to, uh, mention them to Raistilin one night when you were all busy doing something else. He told me they might be magic. To find out, he said one of those weird spells of his and they--uh--began to glow. That meant they were enchanted. He asked me what they did and I demonstated and he said they were 'glasses of true seeing.' The dwarven magic-users of old made them to read books written in other languages and--" Tas stopped.
"And?" Tanis pursued.
"And--uh--magic spellbooks." Tas's voice was a whisper.
"And what else did Raistlin say?"
"That if I touched his spellbooks or even looked at them sideways, he'd turn me into a cricket and s-swallow m-me whole," Tasselhoff stammered. He looked up at Tanis with his wide eyed. "I belived him, too."
Tanis shook his head. Trust Raistlin to come up with a threat awful enough to quensh the curiosity of a kender.”
13 likes
“If we deny love that is given to us, if we refuse to give love because we fear the pain of loss, then our lives will be empty, our loss greater.” 11 likes