Start by marking “Pocket-sized Yarns” as Want to Read:
Pocket-sized Yarns

Pocket-sized Yarns

Pocket-Sized Yarns, little in size, but large in wonder. Discover a tapestry woven from yarns 540 words or less in length.

Romance - time travel - nightmares - memory loss - canine companions - and drunken authors! Welcome to the world of flash fiction. Read one now - tuck another in your pocket for later.
Published October 28th 2014 by Indie Books

To ask other readers questions about Pocket-sized Yarns, please sign up.
The Angry Lawn Gnome It is, but the Goodreads button isn't linking to Amazon properly.

It should go here:

but it does not.

Wilde Sky
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
A collection of short stories (plus odd bits and pieces) put together by thirteen different authors.

The vast majority of pieces in this book (ignoring the two pieces that I wrote) are of a very high standard in terms of writing / original plots.

If you enjoy very short (less than 540 words) stories this is definitely worth a look.
David Rose
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Okay, I contributed. This is not about me. This is about a group of indie writers who decided to show what the best of indie can be. And they have. This is a must-read anthology for every aspiring indie writer, and everyone who has ever thought of writing off indie authors as not worth their time. And it is for everyone who dreamed about becoming a writer. Now read it!
P.S. When you read it, try and pick your favourite story. Go on, try. All right, if you can't settle on just one, then pick your
Votey Christopher
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I post a review not for myself, but for the other writers. It is some of the best work I've seen of indie writers and find the book to be great inspiration. It shows what us writers can do.
Jonathan
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pocket-Sized Yarns is an “indie” book of short stories of 540 words or less (about 23, with some odds and ends thrown in). All the stories are ably written. Naturally, there were some I liked better than others. From a purely statistical standpoint, there were 5 out of the 23 that I thought were “something special” – and as I am a pretty picky reader, that’s not bad.

There were a couple of problems that most of the rest seemed to share. First, I think there were a lot of cases where the author co
James Field
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
To reveal a gem's beauty, a course of action is necessary. These include cutting, shaping, polishing, and removing defects, such as cracks, flaws, and cloudiness.
Similarly, in a unique collaboration, the authors in this collection of micro stories have honed one another's work until each yarn shines like a brilliant gem.
I have written two stories in this compilation. Rather than write a review, I would like to praise the comradeship and teamwork among this group of indie authors. The result is r
Michael Gardner
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I don’t normally review my own books, but as I represent 1/13th of this collection, I reckon it’s okay this time.

Pocket-sized Yarns is more than a collection of flash fiction stories. Thirteen strangers, from all over the world, came together in the best cooperative spirit to showcase indie writing. It was an extraordinary act of trust – and all done for the love of the art – telling good stories.

The book is free, it always will be – so grab a copy and enjoy!
Jennifer Moreland
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received a copy of this book as part of a review group in exchange for an honest opinion.

First off, it's hard to review a collection like this. So many little slices of story to savor. I found it to be nicely varied in style and subject matter. The fact that these were very, very short stories meant they had to draw the reader in quickly, but sometimes it felt like we were escorted out again a bit fast. All in all, an enjoyable collection of reads. I liked some, loved others -- exactly
Bruce
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful collection of short stories (540 words each) that demanded a very short story from the authors. Some contributed more than once to this project, but the quality of the writing shows in every...single...story.

Remember back in your school days as a child, when you were given an essay or short story to write? How it seemed like it took forever, and it was invariably pain-filled? Well, this was sort of like the opposite. Here you have published authors tasking themselves with l
Leigh Stuart
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
The inspiration for this book was a self-published novel that only contained 540 words. I wish I could find it, but I certainly wouldn't pay for it. Kudos and an extra star for the indie authors brave and talented enough to write a collection of short stories that are all at 540 words or less. I couldn't do it. I won't even try.

This books reads fast and fun, each story reflecting a different style and ranging from humorous, to romantic, or to action packed.

There were only a couple of stories t
Mo Jacobs
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this. I think I was amazed at how the writers were able to tell their story is so few words, 540. The stories as a whole were disjointed they didn't really flow from one to the other, so as an anthology it's hard to place it in a particular genre. But each story was well done and the authors were mostly able to allow the readers to feel the story. I have favorites, David Rose's Predator and James Field's Blind Agnes. I will definitely look up these authors for more.

It's a fast read.. bu
Jourdan Cameron
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Full disclosure, one of my stories is in this compilation. That said, I'm giving this five stars for the other fine folks who put their heart and soul into these stories and poems. Seriously, where do I begin? There's such a nice variety of stuff, ranging from campy western to high-concept sci-fi to emotional literary fiction- you've got to check out this collection!

It's perfect for when you need a quick fiction fix.
Daniel Barker
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a delight to read. The short stories are short indeed and ideal for someone who loves to read but may not have much time to sit and enjoy a lengthy, involved story. These bite-sized nuggets are each capable of giving the reader a thought-provoking, if brief, reading adventure. Some of the stories are just right, but some do leave you wanting more. If I have any gripe with the book, it is that some stories managed in just a few words to draw me in only to end at points where I was ea ...more
The Angry Lawn Gnome
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: can't think of anyone, sorry.
Please note: I was given a copy of this book at my request and at no cost in return for an unbiased review. I have no personal or financial connection to any of the authors included in this work.

A cute idea that crashed and burned horribly. This was supposed to be some sort of satire about some of the errata that apparently lurks in the deep and of the self-published Amazon pool, of a self-declared book that was only 540 words. Hence a series of short-short stories all roughly 540 words. Unfortu
Gates Watson
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Pocket Sized Yarns wasn't really one of my favorite reads this year. Some of the stories drew you in while others didn't give you enough to like or dislike them. For me there just didn't seem to be much cohesion throughout the stories. They just didn't flow together for me. It was however a quick easy read.

Debra Barstad
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
A collection of short stories. Some I wish would of been longer as they left you hanging.
beautywithbooks
I got this book to read in exchange of my honest review.

Pocket sized yarns, is a compilation of various different short stories. It was not among one of my favorites. But I liked that each story was unique in itself and the way the writers put their story in so little words. There is not any specific flow of the stories, so this book cannot be classified into a specific genre. Few of the stories were too short. It was a fast read. The few of the stories which I liked the most are: Sluggish Bulle
Tomo
Feb 17, 2015
C.
Jun 22, 2015
Chris Heath
Oct 27, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Marise Ghorayeb
Oct 27, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Cynthia Varady