Start by marking “Becoming Nikki” as Want to Read:
Becoming Nikki

Becoming Nikki

What would you do if you were given the opportunity to rebuild a broken relationship?

Alec and Nikki Scott are the perfect ice dancing duo, executing flawless technique and brilliant performance abilities each time they compete. No one doubts their camaraderie, not even their closest friends.

But looks can be deceiving. Off the ice, their relationship is in shambles. Ice da
Published December 9th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published December 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Nikki, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Nikki

Start your review of Becoming Nikki
Sarah Grace Grzy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sarah Grace by: Micaiah
Well, that was really sweet!

I loved the brother-sister story line, and all the ice dancing coolness was so much fun! Nikki, Alec, Natalie, Dylan, and even Bennet were such fun characters. The message was really well-done, and well thought out.

Over all, I really enjoyed Becoming Nikki!

**HUGE thank you to my dearest friend for loaning it to me!! <3**
Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: 13 - 18

I really wasn’t expecting much when I got this book. It sounded cutesy and a bit juvenile from the back cover. I was prepared for so-so writing and a plot that was predictable. What I ended up with was a unique story that was well written and left me cheering for both the story and the author.
While many young authors have published books, few have the talent that Elliott displayed in this story. Her writing is strong, personal, and engaging. I h
Maddy
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This book was so sweet! I absolutely loved reading this story and finished it in a day. I love contemporary and anything that has sports in it so I really enjoyed this one.

Nikki and Alec are a figure skating duo until Alec decides that he doesn’t want to skate anymore. Nikki is sad to hear the news her brother has, and starts to worry about finding a partner. I loved the story line and how everything fell into place. There’s a fun set of side characters that I just loved. Ashley has a great wri
Jesseca Wheaton
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a fan of contemporary christian because a lot of the books written nowadays seem to leave God out, which I do not like.
But this one was different.
I had read the first couple pages through the book preview and it looked interesting. This past Friday I was able to borrow it from a friend and I started reading it around 8pm last night . . .and finished it around 12am. It was that good. I loved the focus on siblings relationships, because it can be really hard to find a book that fo
Merie Shen
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m pretty sure I saw this book a year ago on Goodreads and thought the premise was interesting, but I didn’t read it because… I didn’t need to read about ice dancing at the time? And somehow I missed the fact that this story is about A BROTHER AND A SISTER RELATIONSHIP? And I don’t know, HOW did that elude me the first time??

Wait. You want to hear my thoughts about this book. Right.

I loved Nikki and Alec and what Elliott did with the whole amnesia trope thing. Their relationship started off so
Mikayla
So I re-read this with my awesome friend Kate. I was kind of sad to realize that this book was better back when I was fifteen. I still loved the sibling relationship and the fact that it was a realistic amnesia story, but some of it just fell flat. Even though Nikki had some awesome moments, she was pretty selfish. She's also kind of winey, and petty. I understand she was only fifteen, but still, she was kind of annoying sometimes.
So four stars for my memories and skating. I still love parts of
Rebekah Morris
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I’d heard a lot of good things about this book, so I decided I’d try it.
Nikki and Alec don’t start out in a great brother/sister relationship. In fact I was getting a little frustrated with Alec on how he treated his sister. Yes, they did ice dancing together (something I know almost nothing about) and on the ice they look like the perfect match, but off the ice things aren't so good. But later things change. I really enjoyed watching their relationship grow and change even though the c
Kate Willis
I love ice skating/dancing, I love indie books, and I love sibling stories; but after some reflection, I've decided this book is not my cup of tea and I won't be writing a further review. ;) Not for any negative content reasons or anything. If you have specific questions, feel free to message me.
Micaiah
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Original review: Man, this was one of the best books I've read in a while! Full review to come. (I'm also gonna say that I highly enjoyed it. And it was cool to read in the Acknowledgments that the story was inspired by Meryl Davis and Charlie White!)

And the full review I promised:

Rating: 5 stars
Ages: 12 and up

Becoming Nikki is a fantastic book. It's one of the best I've read this year. I highly enjoyed the plot, and the message, and really just the unfolding of the whole story.

Starting out, I
Angie Thompson
I had a really good feeling going into this book. So good that I waited until I could afford the hard copy rather than trying it out on Kindle. And even as high as my expectations were, I was absolutely blown away.

In one word--beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. This book was without question the sweetest, loveliest, most poignant sibling love story that I've ever read. Yes, I know the romance market co-opted that term a long time ago, but I'm taking it back. Because this book is every bit a love s
Emma Jane
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had heard a bunch about this book after its release earlier this month, through Goodreads and all the stuff going around on the blogs I follow. I'm not usually interested in contemporary fiction, but after I read about the book and started following Ashley Elliot's blog, I was really interested. And because I don't usually read modern books, I got really excited about reading this one. So I was very happily surprised when my sister gave me the book for Christmas! I read it right away, and her ...more
Joshua
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshelf
I enjoyed reading this book, and the emphasis it placed on siblings' relationships. In a lot of stories, siblings either love each other, or have problems, and that love or lack there of will usually stay there, static throughout the story. In this book, however, it showed how siblings' relationships aren't static, that there are ups and downs, and that our decisions do affect the relationship we have with our siblings.
Though I didn't get them all, I enjoyed the references—and even got a song st
Ashley Elliott
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites
Ehh. So I'm biased. ; )
Hailey Rose
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been wanting to read Becoming Nikki for a long time…ever since I saw the author’s interview on Homeschooled Authors. The plot intrigued me, as did the fact that the book was about sibling relationships.
But wow.
This book totally took me by surprise.

Plot/Storyline: 5/5
I was completely riveted by this book from the first page. The entire plot was so well executed and realistic.

Characters: 4/5
I loved the characters…well, except for the ones I didn’t like. But I’m pretty sure those ones wer
Bailey Marissa
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is amazing book, especially since it deals with the relationship between siblings. Highly recommend this book.
Morgan
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I am a friend of the author, a beta reader, and the book formatter, but I love this book on its own merit. I would not have been so involved in the publishing of this book had I not truly believed everything I've said about it.

I first heard of this book from the author's sister and was interested, but unsure what to expect out of it. I must say, it exceeded my expectations. I don't read much contemporary fiction, generally preferring fantasy, sci-fi, and historical fiction, but Becom
Allyson
It is rare for me to enjoy a book that is centered around a hobby or activity that I am usually bored by (in this case, the ice dancing), but Elliott's writing about the topic is informative, as well as interesting. I found Nikki and Alec's relationship to be an accurate representation of a typical sibling relationship, especially when a relationship is strained because one of the siblings is attempting to branch out and have a life of their own. Becoming Nikki not only highlights the struggle ...more
Cath (Cather.reads)
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the theme of this book. Nikki and Alec have a broken relationship and after an accident, Nikki gets a chance to repair that.
The story never lagged and, while it took me a couple days to finish it, I kept on returning for more.
However, I thought in the beginning we were never really shown how bad Alec and Nikki's relationship was. Alec said a few things and you could tell that they were distant, but most of the reader's knowledge of their relationship is shown by Nikki talking about it.
Addyson Huneke
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is AWESOME!
Seriously! I admit, it wasn't quite what I was expecting, but I loved it all the same. Nikki was so likable and interesting, and so was Alec. Well, I didn't like Alec in the beginning, but later, he got...and SPOILERS. I don't read much contemporary fiction (for the reason I Don't Know Why), but I made an exception for this and am so glad I did. But I should probably get to my review.

Writing: 5/5
I must admit, the writing style was a little hard to get used to. But once I got
Leslie
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-ebooks
Full review forthcoming on my blog, "The Upstream Writer" (look for it after 4/13!) but for now I will basically say that I really enjoyed this book. There were some parts that seemed a little far-fetched and sort of superfluous for an adult reader, but it's perfect for readers in the "tween" ages (7-15)! "Becoming Nikki" presented some very real and pertinent themes that maintained all the way through, had parts that made me chuckle, realistic and affable characters, and on the whole a great de ...more
Deborah
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really, REALLY loved the storyline and characters, but I had a few problems with the writing style and how it was written.

There wasn't very many details and when the author did include details she did as few as possible; making it difficult for the reader to follow. There was also a lot of grammar mistakes.

But the characters were awesome and Dylan is so sweet! ;) The brother/sister relationship was so beautiful and the ice dancing was awesome to envision.
Riley
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
a delightful read! I loved how Ashley portrayed sibling relationships and faith.
My only complaint is that while I understood her references (like period dramas and Aaron Tveit), some readers might not.
James Elliott
Katie
Mar 16, 2015
Abigail Harris
Oct 14, 2017

• Right Number (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #6.5)
  • Journeys of Four
  • Always Watching (Elite Guardians, #1)
  • Beauty of Rosemead: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Fairytales of Folkshore, #5)
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Lost in Averell (Princess by Night, #1)
  • Safe
  • Hollow (Crockett and Crane, #2.5)
  • Five Star Spy (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #7)
  • Run: A Crockett and Crane Story
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
  • Between Homes (The City Between, #5)
  • The Dragon Delusion: A Blackfire and Beasley Story
  • The Prince Groom: An Afterverse Story
  • The Enchanted Sonata
  • Once Upon a December: A Blackfire Story
  • The Fourth Musketeer: A Blackfire Story
  • Slumbering (The Starlight Chronicles #1)
Ashley Elliott is a writer, reader, musician, photographer, tree-climber, and Leaguette. She speaks fluently in movie quotes and spends most of her time fangirling over her latest obsession. In her free time, she enjoys laughing with her friends, laughing over Christian indie films (but secretly loving them), and laughing with her five crazy siblings. Ashley is a homeschool graduate and is current ...more

News & Interviews