Start by marking “Blood Stitches” as Want to Read:
Blood Stitches

Blood Stitches

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
It’s called El Toque de la Luna—The Touch of the Moon. At least that’s how nineteen-year-old Gabby’s older sister, Esperanza, refers to the magical powers she inherited from their Mayan ancestors. Esperanza says women with El Toque weave magic into their knitting, creating tapestries capable of saving—or devastating—the world. Gabby thinks Esperanza is more like touched in ...more
Published May 12th 2015 by Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about Blood Stitches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Stitches

Lori Sawicki
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Both romance novel and thriller, Blood Stitches is a deliciously scary story—one that takes you on a terrifying thrill ride and leaves you a little breathless. This can’t-put-down book is immediately engaging as Fanning takes you down, deep into an underworld that gives new meaning to the word ‘hell.’ Original and fully conceived by Fanning, this underworld is both suffocating in its darkness and entertaining in its unique setting. The author’s expert touches of humor keep the story fresh and or ...more
Kimberli Bindschatel
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fantastical yarn, Erin Fanning’s Blood Stitches weaves ancient Mayan history with the goblins of nightmares in this tale of Gabby, a young college student, fighting for redemption for her sister. A fun, quick read that keeps up a good pace as the mystery unravels, this story would appeal to anyone young adult to college age…or anyone who thinks she has inherited the magic.
Laura Nielsen
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Even the most devoted fantasy reader can get tired of dragons, knights, and princesses, or alternately of Greek Gods and Goddesses dragged into the modern world. Meanwhile, huge chunks of the world’s mythology remain unknown to readers in the US. In Blood Stitches, Erin Fanning mines Mayan myths found in the Popul Vuh. The story begins in very real, ordinary, and rainy Washington State. Gabby knows a little about her Mexican heritage, but she has grown up in the US. Ten years ago, her parents w ...more
Amanda
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

In theory, I should love novels about knitting because I love novels and I love knitting. However, many of the works I've read where knitting was featured were not great. I went into the reading of this novella with a hopeful, but critical eye.

Both technically and thematically, this short work was refreshing. It wasn't just about knitting...it was about magical knitting. While the potential for campiness was there, the author de
Anise Rae
Erin Fanning's Blood Stitches brings a unique twist to the well-loved paranormal genre. Elements of Mayan mythology add freshness to the story, and Fanning's writing stands out, crisp and clean.

The book is surprising from the start. Creatures come out on Halloween and disrupt the heroine’s life, starting with a man dressed as a piece of candy corn. College student Gabby is suddenly thrust into a world of deeply hidden family secrets that she must uncover in order to save herself and her sister.
Paula
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for NetGalley.

What a charming and delightful knitting fiction book. Usually, I do not like knitting novels (I knit, and I also am not a big fan of formula writing in any genre, including the craft novel) due to the lack of imagination, exciting plot, formulaic characters and dialogue, etc. This book is refreshingly different in so many ways.

First of all, Ms. Fanning interweaves one of the most unusual mythologies, the Mayan, into this horror/YA novel. This is an exciting change
Mae Clair
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A vividly surreal excursion on Halloween. Gabby’s sister, Esperanza has been blessed with a power that allows her to knit magic into tapestries capable of destruction. When Gabby learns of a series of destructive knitting Esperanza has done, Gabby, her quasi-boyfriend, Frank, and a series of colorful characters embark on a journey to destroy the tapestries.

If you like bizarre settings with twists of the paranormal and horror, you’ll love this novel. The entire journey feels like a fantasy advent
A.S. Fenichel
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Blood Stitches is an intriguing story of magic and myth.

I loved the way the author found bits of Mayan mythology and wove it into the story. I really liked Frank, the “sort of” love interest and would have liked more of his feelings and thoughts in the book. Gabby spends a lot of time in her head, which is typical of women her age.

It’s a strange journey for two young people discovering the world and their feelings. It pushes the limits of reality, but in a good way. I think the NA crowd would e
Emily S.
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the creative concept of this book! Knitting causing disaster on a global scale? Knitting saving someone's life? Sounds incredible, but with Fanning weaving the story together with Mayan folklore it becomes believable, entertaining, and a fun read. This would be a great book any time, with a great cast of characters, but if you're looking for something to read to get you in the Halloween mood, this fits the bill.
Kelly Colleen
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed Blood Stitches. I read it while attending an athletic event and even with all the commotion around me I became submersed. I could envision the surroundings and was vested in the characters. I cared about what happened to the alux twins and I was relieved that Gabby and Frank didn't just let them go. It flowed with such a good rhythm and had the right amount of mythology mixed in. And I'm really looking forward to the sequel!
Sandra Cox
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In Blood Stitches, Fanning takes a unique topic and weaves it into a fun yarn. It has everything from magic tapestries to a man dressed as a candy corn. Things really start hopping when Gabby and her best friend Frank get spirited away to a demon ball where they must prevent an apocalyptic disaster. Want to kickback with an entertaining adventure? Try Blood Stitches.
P. T.
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The author stitched a very intriguing unusual tale with the premise of knitting evil into a tapestry. One immediately became enthralled with the story because of the antics of Mr. Candy Corn, Flame Boy, Xta, Tory, and Senor Caquix. Hopefully the author is knitting a sequel with the same memorable characters.
Cora Morgan
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very imaginative book. Great descriptive writing. It was a novella and therefore a quick read. I don't usually read fantasy books, but I was pleasantly surprised to find I enjoyed this one. Looking forward to reading more from this author!
Brick Marlin
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a unique story! As a fan of horror and fantasy this entwines flavorable characters pulling you along a dark mystery of the tale until finalizing it in the end for the reader. Erin Fanning's writing is precise and to the point and quite engaging.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Blood Stitches is a crazy paranormal story filled with unique characters and non-stop action.

Opening Sentence: A gust of wind scattered leaves across the University of Seattle campus.

The Review:

Kristie Elston
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Originally reviewed at Dark Faerie Tales: http://darkfaerietales.com/review-blo...

The Review:

Blood Stitches is filled with unique characters you don’t often find in paranormal stories. The story is highly influenced by Mayan gods, goddesses and superstition. Blood Stitches is a short story that is so jam packed with action that it kind of lacks a bit of character development. I would h
Erin Fanning
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
penny shima glanz
Bonny McDevitt
Lee Todd
Jennifer beck
Feb 25, 2015
Erin Fanning splits her time between the lakes and woods of northern Michigan and the mountains of central Idaho. She's the author of "Cloud Warrior" (Saddleback, 2018), "Blood Stitches" (Kensington, 2015), "The Curse of Blackhawk Bay" (Sam's Dot, 2008), "Mountain Biking Michigan" (Globe Pequot, 2002), and numerous short stories, essays, and articles. Visit www.erinfanning.com for more information ...more
More about Erin Fanning