Start by marking “Becoming His Master (Neighborly Affection, #4)” as Want to Read:
Becoming His Master (Neighborly Affection, #4)

Becoming His Master

(Neighborly Affection #4)

From rescue to romance…

Teach a wounded submissive the value of his service. The task ought to be an easy one for an experienced dominant like Henry Webb.

But novice Jay Kress challenges his teacher like no other. Still bearing the bruises of an encounter outside the bounds of safe consensual play, Jay is desperate to submit to the man who saved him—and shamed by his desire
Published March 17th 2015 by Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about Becoming His Master, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming His Master

Start your review of Becoming His Master (Neighborly Affection, #4)
Gigi
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gigi by: Bev
Wait, a BDSM book that is light on the sex. *gulp* This is a new one for me!

Becoming His Master is book four in the Neighborly Affection series. I read this as a stand-alone and didn't feel the lack of information from the first three books hindered my enjoyment of this one.

Jay Kress is a submissive who has had his submission taken advantage of. He has been hurt and abused and he now lacks trust in a Dom. Henry Webb is a patient, caring Dominant who takes it upon himself to teach Jay the ways of
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
 photo tumblr_mtesx6vDvC1s03vv6o1_1280_zpsldqxioex.jpg

Excellent hurt/comfort Glitterkink!

Barber is a new to me author and her writing is reminiscent of Kim Dare, an author close to my heart. I liked this so much that I looked back over the previous three books and realized this is a prequel. IF I can eek out the time I'm going to backtrack and read the others.

Jay and Henry are the centerpiece of this installment. Jay is a novice who's been through an ordeal with a problematic dom who ignored Jay's safe word. Henry is an established dom at this
Adam

This could have been a great story, but the heavy-handed writing was a let down.

'Becoming His Master' works fine as a stand-alone, but it is actually a prequel for the Neighborly Affection series. The series is about the two MCs in this book, Jay and Henry, and a female third, Alice. Jay and Henry aren't gay; they are bisexual and there are lady-parts in 'Becoming His Master'. It didn't bother me, but I know some MM readers are particular about that, so consider this a friendly heads-up
Bev
Never having read a story by this author, and being drawn in by the cover ---> Mrs Shallow I know, I was surprised to find that this book is part of a series, all m/m/f and involving the same characters, and THIS one (book 4) is the one that a lot of the readers of the series have been waiting for (apparently)...the backstory of Master Henry and his sub Jay. Needless to say, as m/f readers will hopefully be buying it, the sex scenes have been toned down somewhat (practically non-existent) BU ...more
Miranda Whore
Review for Becoming His Master (Neighborly Affections Book 4) by M.Q. Barber

Becoming His Master is book four in the Neighborly Affections series by M.Q. Barber and could be read as a prequel to the first three books — however I would suggest if you are going to read the entire series to read them in the order they are written because you will have a greater understanding of why telling Jay’s story was such a worthwhile journey to series fans.

M.Q Barber has one of the most distinctive voices as a
Tracy
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends
Recommended to Tracy by: read previous books in series
I was given this book by Netgalley for a honest review.
This is book #4 in the Neighborly Affection series, but it is sort of a prequel to the series. This is the meeting of Henry and Jay before Alice! This series was one that I did not expect to like. The subject matter wasn't one I usually enjoyed reading(the M/M/F dynamic with M/M interaction) and I didn't expect to like it. I was 100% wrong and fell in love with the characters and the series! I was excited to hear about this book because I ad
Cassandra
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was stunning. This is exactly what the "Neighborly Affection" addicts needed in order to gain a better perspective of Henry Webb. We have been all trying to figure out exactly the depth to Henry's devotion to his subs and what Henry does the things he does throughout the other novels. This novel is an important piece to the puzzle for this triad. I highly recommend reading this book and I highly recommend M.Q. Barber.
Theresa
Oct 01, 2015 rated it did not like it

No warning label in blurb about M/M/F.

The retraining/rehabilitation of sub Jay by Dom Henry was very nice. Although Jay needed to see a counselor in addition to the good work that Henry did with him. I really enjoyed Henry's POV and thought processes as he slowly, artfully and tenderly guided Jay to build personal boundaries and self confidence.

Both men were bi. Both men invited additional people into their scenes - both Doms and subs, men and women. If I had known that I would have skipped the
Sarah Beth
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm
Becoming His Master is the fourth book in the Neighborly Affection series, and serves as a series prequel. I have been a huge fan of this series since Playing the Game was released, and wasn’t sure how I would feel about a book focused on Jay and Henry alone. So much of the first three books were about Alice and her relationship with the two men and I love their dynamic. I shouldn’t have been worried! This is an amazing book, and so incredibly well done.

Becoming His Master starts with Jay having
Jen
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note: This ARC was provided by Kensington Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

"Why do you allow your fear to hold you back? Love demands more of you. Whether master or servant, we are all slaves to love."

Prior to the night that their paths crossed, longtime dominant Henry Webb and neophyte submissive Jay Kress would never have imagined how entwined their lives would become after Henry rescues Jay from a sadistic and barbaric dominant. The blood may have been wiped clean and his
Reflection
Becoming His Master is a really delightful read that explores a D/s dynamic. Jay is new to the BDSM scene and appears to have issues with self-esteem and a rather warped view of what a submissive should endure, thus making him vulnerable to potential abuse.

The story takes place over a period of two months, during which time Henry a long time player and Dominant agrees to mentor Jay. His aim is to help Jay recover from a scene that went too far with club member Cal subjecting Jay to emotional and
Mira Stanley
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, d-s
In a nutshell: A Dom to make you swoon and a sub to fetch your slippers

I can’t get enough MQ Barber. I’ve become addicted to her writing and her world. Becoming His Master is actually a prequel to her first book, Playing the Game even though it appears fourth in her Neighborly Affection series.

PTG is about established lovers Henry (Dom) and Jay (sub) welcoming their neighbor, Alice, into contractual sexual play. Books 2 and 3 in the series develop the relationship from contractual and temporary
Kiki Sidira
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
In the beginning, I thought I would be reading a familiar story with a storyline I've read before.
That didn't happen.
The beginning of the book was different from what i expected and that went on for the rest of the book.
We are guided from Henry's point of view as to what is happening, what has to be done and what the possible outcome can be.
What felt kinda strange to me was the way Henry was talking, the words he was using, his expression in general. It can be attributed on his job, though som
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Although this book is part of a series this can be read as a standalone which is what I did.

This story is told through Henry's point of view. Henry is a dominant who wants to teach Jay what a proper sub/Dom relationship should be. Jay has been hurt so much in the past by a previous Dom. Can Henry show Jay his true self worth? What happens when he starts having feelings towards his sub?

This is a bdsm m/m story where the sex scenes are toned down. This is a really brilliant romantic love story in
Rhenna Morgan
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've said it three times before, I'll say it again. This is a great series. I was really wondering how this book would feel/read since it's from Henry's POV, but I loved it just as much as the rest in Alice's POV. The characterization is beautifully done and the intimacy gripping.

If you haven't picked this series up, you're seriously missing a string of fantastic reads.
Veronica of V's Reads
This is the fourth book in a series; I haven't read the preceding books, but had no difficulty with this standalone novel.

Henry Webb is a Master in a BDSM club. A week ago he rescued a young man, Jay Kress, from the abusive attention of a sadist in the club, Cal. Cal has been barred entry for two months, but Jay has returned, looking for another Dom. Looking, for Henry.

Convinced by his friends Victor and Emma, Henry agrees to talk to Jay, determine if he can help this novice submissive from find
Angela Goodrich
I must admit that I didn’t read past Neighborly Affection and M.Q. Barber before snagging this book. As such, I began it expecting to continue on the journey with my favorite ménage trio – Henry, Jay, and Alice. However, in Becoming His Master, Ms. Barber takes us back in time to show fans how Jay and Henry came to be. Was Alice’s presence missed? Yes, because I was looking forward to seeing how their relationship dynamic continued to progress. Was I disappointed in Becoming His Master? Absofrea ...more
Julie Barrett
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Becoming His Master is book number four in M.Q. Barber's popular Neighborly Affection series. This book is a prequel to the others, so even though I haven't read the first three books I had no problem starting out with this one. Becoming His Master is an intelligently written book that delves into the emotional complexities of D/s. Unlike some BDSM books out there, this isn't filled with spanking and flogging scenes, it goes far deeper than that and is a very rewarding read as a result of this.

A
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
I received a copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Genre Contemporary M/M Romance

MC1 Henry Webb
MC2 Jay Kress

Storyline
Henry is outraged when he's discovered that Jay has been abused at the hand of another so-called Dominant in the exclusive club they belong to. He wants the abusive club member to be expelled, but Jay won't admit he was abused. Jay believes what happened to him was normal play. So Henry is driven to teach Jay how to be safe when he plays, but Jay wants to belong to He
Ane Margaux
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I received this through NetGalley in return for an honest review.

This will will be added to my list of the best BDSM read. M.Q Barber did a stellar job when writing this piece. He captured the nature of BDSM to the fullest and I couldn't be happier that yet another author is discreetly but effectively communicating the differences between BDSM and abuse. He also drives home the point that while everyone within the community may be kinky, everyone's kink is not the same.

Henry takes a broken Jay
Diane Dannenfeldt
I was so excited to hear that we would get to see a little more of beginning of Henry & Jay. The story picks up after the horrible incident with Calvin when Henry agrees to be Jay’s temporary Dom. He agrees to help Jay learn that there can be pleasure not just pain and that he actually has control over a scene and if it isn’t what he wants then he is able to actually stop it. It’s hard to see the more self-assured business man that we saw in previous books in this broken childlike individual. I ...more
T.A. McKay
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Copy from net galley.

I picked this book because of the title and the fact it was m/m and I was so not disappointed. Omg this book is awesome!! It was a different feel from the usual Dom/sub book and that made me really happy. The relationship between the two main characters was really interesting. The mentoring of Jay by Henry was selfless and showed a great heart in him. I just loved that he was willing to put Jays needs before his own, show him the right path.
This book has made me look at ot
Noreen
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: egroup, kindle, m-m, bdsm, age-gap
Another great book in this series, made me want to go back and start from the beginning. This was especially good because we get to see how Henry and Jay came to be before the addition of Alice. This has quickly become one of my favorite series and I hope there is lots more of Henry, Jay and Alice in the future.
FoxClouds

A curious read.
Tina
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Becoming His Master by M.Q. Barber is the fourth book in the Neighborly Series. I was not lost starting out with this book. I do however want to go back and read what I missed. This book is amazingly well done. I loved the characters and the intense connection they have.
Henry just wants to relax. He has had enough things go wrong in his life. He is a wounded soul with a light touch.
Jay has a tendency to not know where his limits are. But when he is bloodied, beaten, screaming his safe words, the
Lisa
I enjoyed the story between Jay and Henry.
Jay was a sub who had been abused and Henry the Dom who was going to try to teach him about safewords and hard limits etc.
This was #4 in the series and I hadn't read the previous books but that didn't matter.
What started out as a kind of a job for Henry saw him gradually falling in love with Jay.
So you ask if you liked the book why give it a 3 star rating.
Simple, there was MF sex in my MM book. I hate that. I read MM for a reason, if I wanted to read abo
Max Thomas
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful Kink

This is a sweet romance that takes place inside a BDSM club. While there’s action, the focus of the work is psychological. An experienced dominant takes a younger submissive in hand and guides him into a self-respected person.

Along the way the reader gets a look at many aspects of “kink” and the some reasons for the practices. The dom shows this new boy that abuse has no place there, and situations where pain is involved must be carefully controlled and consensual.

Sexual tension
Connie
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

Becoming His Master was a FANTASTIC read! The push and pull of Henry’s and Jay’s coming together and how they found each other showed the most vulnerability of all the stories and the assurance that Henry gave Jay and the playfulness that Jay gave Henry allowed them to have a symbiotic and give and take. I loved the sassiness of Emma and getting to see Victor and how he shaped Henry into the dominant he currently is.
Christine
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book in the series and I'm glad I know that it was actually a prequel because now I can read the other books as a continuation of this one. I loved the emotional depth of this book and adored Henry, but was actually disappointed there wasn't more sex. But I can see why an emotional book had to establish the characters.
Mike
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting trip into a BDSM story focused on a caretaker Dom and an almost service submissive. It has its own charms, but makes the most sense as a "backstory" for the male D/s pair in the Neighborly Affection series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dirty Sexy Saint (Dirty Sexy, #1)
  • Dirty Sexy Inked (Dirty Sexy, #2)
  • The Burnt Toast B&B (Bluewater Bay #5)
  • Foreseen: Lex (The Four #2)
  • Kept (The Enforcers, #3)
  • Claim Me (Stark Trilogy, #2)
  • Rekindled Flame (Rekindled Flame, #1)
  • Confessions of a Naughty Nanny (The Baileys #6)
  • Four Play
  • Operation Bailey Babies (The Baileys, #6.5)
  • Secrets of the World's Worst Matchmaker (The Baileys, #7)
  • Three If by Sea
  • Starstruck (Bluewater Bay, #1)
  • Bonds of Trust (Wicked Play, #1)
  • Three Ways to Wicked
  • A Shared Range (Range, #1)
  • Demise of a Self-Centered Playboy (The Baileys #5)
  • Brazen (Brazen, #1)
I am a former Midwestern gal who well knows the joy of flopping down in a field for an afternoon and composing stories about the shapes in the clouds. As it turns out, adulthood doesn't have to be so different from childhood.

Sharing those stories is a new thing for me. I hope readers will love the characters as much as I do.

Neighborly Affection (5 books)
  • Playing the Game (Neighborly Affection, #1)
  • Crossing the Lines (Neighborly Affection, #2)
  • Healing the Wounds (Neighborly Affection #3)
  • Finding Their Balance