Start by marking “Baked Fresh (Portland Heat, #2)” as Want to Read:
Baked Fresh (Portland Heat, #2)

Baked Fresh

(Portland Heat #2)

From its famous coffee to the mouthwatering fare at its cafés, restaurants, and bakeries, Portland, Oregon, has a lot to whet the appetite, including the hard-working men who serve it all up—hot, fresh, and ready to go—with no reservations…

Vic Degrassi is a baker on the rise, and it’s all thanks to his rare ability to make—and keep—his New Year’s resolutions. Whether it’s
Published April 14th 2015 by Kensington (first published April 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Baked Fresh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baked Fresh

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
It's official: Annabeth Albert is an auto-read author for me. Her writing is always polished, and her stories emotional without being overly angsty.

I enjoyed the first Portland Heat book, but I liked this one even more.

Vic, whose first-person POV filters this story, is not a perfect MC. After his cousin who was also his best friend drops dead from a heart attack at the age of 33, Vic has lap band surgery and loses more than 100 pounds in the course of a year.

Vic goes from big Italian bear dad
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time

DNF @ 51%

I'm sorry but this book was terrible. And I liked the first one, and have liked the other stuff I have read by this author. But this one DID NOT work for me. AT ALL!

The main characters were needy, whiny, desperate, and not at all sexy.

"Now, though, I was just another thirtysomething guy with a receding hairline and decidedly average body...."

So yeah, right off the bat I am not finding our MC Vic very appealing. You lost a bunch of weight, good for you....find some self-esteem while
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

I enjoyed this story. This is only the second M/M romance that I have read with the other story being the first in this series, Served Hot. I thought that this story was just the right combination of sweet and sexy just like the first in the series. This story could easily be read as a stand alone since the stories really don't overlap at all with the exception of a appearance of the couple from the first novella in one scene. This is
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3.75 Cake and Confidence Stars***

Another sweet winner from Annabeth Albert! Baked Fresh solidified for me that I've found a new author to follow for when I'm in the mood for endearing and slightly flawed characters all wrapped up in an engaging and sweet story.

Here we meet Vic, a newly slimmed down pastry chef. Since the loss of his father, he's been on the mission to make life changing New Years' resolutions....from losing weight (100 pounds!) to running a marathon to conquering his love li
* A Reader Obsessed *
Well once again this was far more angsty than one would guess from such a benign cover and title. Way more than a simple, superficial romance, throw in some weighty issues like drug use, unaccepting families, and homelessness to add some emotional gravitas.

I loved the doubt and insecurity and vulnerability between Vic and Robin, and despite said benign cover and title, make no mistake about the hot factor. Yum. Eee.

This pretty much solidified that Annabeth Albert will be an automatic buy for me
Ami

Annabeth Albert is a relatively new addition in my 'authors-to-watch' list because I discover that I like her writing style. When she informed that she was releasing a series with Kensington Publishing, I was pretty happy. I enjoyed the first book -- it was meet-cute entertaining. Unfortunately, this one didn't work for me at all, and sadly became my least favorite story of hers so far.

Now, I did like the idea of both Vic and Robin not being perfect. I like my men flawed -- perfection c
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Cutesy.

If you're searching for a quick, easy, feel good read that's precisely what you'll find in Baked Fresh. This is book 2 of a series but can be read as a standalone. The cover is what initially drew me in along with the promise of baked goods and manlove and, boy, were those delivered in spades.

Baked Fresh is told through Vic, an Italian Stallion, pastry chef and former fatty. Vic had lapband, lost about 100 lbs but continues to struggle with his body image, but he's ready to hit the datin
Bitchie
ARC received from Netgalley.

I wanted to love this more than I did. I never really connected with either character, and a few things that happened just didn't ring true to me. I didn't understand how Vic went from so insecure, never having dated before, to knowing just what to do with Robin, and then back to totally insecure. I also thought the guys needed to talk more, because I don't think Robin ever really knew why Vic was so insecure.

It also felt like I missed a whole lot of backstory, that s
Ele
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars rounded up because I 've fallen in love with the author's writing*

Do you know what else I like besides coffee? CAKE! All kinds of cake. I can eat it instead of food and after reading this I feel like I gained 10 pounds.

What I liked the most in this book was how imperfect the characters were. Don't get me wrong, I love the occasional hunk with the six pack abs, but a dose of reality every now and then doesn't hurt.

For the most part of the story I liked Vic and Robin together. I felt th
V
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
HUGE improvement from book one, amazing characters, captivating plot.
Vic after loosing a huge amount of weight still suffers from body low self self-esteem, he is one of the most charming characters I've ever read.
Robin has his own demons to fight, I won't go into details, I don't want to spoil it for other readers.
This story doesn't have unnecessary drama, stupids misunderstanding or characters behaved immature.
Every single aspect of this story was justified, it was very lovely indee
Leta Blake
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Got sucked in and was up until 3am finishing up! Really enjoyable read! Sexy, sweet, and would love more of these guys. Loved their dynamic.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
A few months ago, I read Served Hot by Annabeth Albert and truly enjoyed the quiet, romantic e-novella and its two protagonists. It was the first in her Portland Heat series, so when Baked Fresh came along, I expected the same easiness and lightness I enjoyed in the first installment. But compared to its predecessor, Baked Fresh is a much heavier read – a more memorable one, perhaps, but one that demands a significant emotional investment.

Fortunately for us, Albert gave us two truly realistic,
Chelsea
This book would have been a solid 3 stars, but I'm bumping it up because it had some seriously hot rimming scenes!!

I think while the book was rather sweet and fluffy, I wasn't expecting the darker themes of addiction and hopelessness therefore it didn't feel like a true light and fluffy, but wasn't angsty enough to be a heart wrenching recovery story. It kind of feel in the middle somewhere.

Loved Vic! He was a sweetheart and the story line was good, just fell a tad flat.
* N aka Nikki
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I couldn't get into this one as much as book three. Maybe there's a disadvantage to working backward through the series!
Fani *loves angst*

I jumped too late in the bandwagon of Portland Heat, but so far I loved both books I read. Just the right amount of angst and sweetness I guess :) Can't wait to read the rest of the books, but this series is perfect for the beginning of fall here in Greece and make me dream of yummy sweets and flavored coffee!
namericanwordcat
This is another great character driven romance with Annabeth Albert.

A wonderful love story about what it means to be in love with a person with a fully realized past. Both Vic and Robin carry a lot of their old selves into their romance.

Here we get a nice friends to lovers tale with the blending for two lives and taking risks to trust and love.

Very well written and engaging and as always with Albert the best parts of the book are in the details I don't want to give away.
Veronica of V's Reads
4.5 stars for this contemporary M/M romance.

Vic is a 33 y/o baker who's had a lot of loss in his life. He is father, uncle and cousin all died young to heart disease, so Vic had gastric bypass surgery a year ago. Since then he's watched his diet, exercised and shed 110 pounds. He feels good, but his self-consciousness lingers. Vic does a lot of volunteer work helping to distribute day-olds from the bakery to a local homeless shelter, where he enjoys some repartee with Robin, a former shelter inh
A.M. Arthur
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, m-m
I officially love this series and this author. She has such a fun way with words, carefully crafting a very believable first person POV that lets you get to know all of the characters who orbit him. God, I adore Vic and totally empathize. I've been that person who changes on the outside but still doesn't see what other people see, and it's not easy believing in someone else's love for you when you're the one who never gets loved.

I also adore how Portland is like another character, with a person
BWT (Belen)
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-fiction, 2015
Sweets as cake, with lots of hot sexual antics.

A little bit of a buzz kill after a small misunderstanding towards the end, but quickly rectified.
Hollis
Holy cannoli. Not only did we venture into pastry, cakes & cookies territory (seriously, Albert, you're killing me with this foodie series) but we turned up the heat like whoa.

Again, we had a perfect blend of sweet and sad/angst, maybe a little extra dollop of the angst, but I love love loved the pairing here. Younger guy, slightly older dude. Completely different lifestyles and situations. And a guy who was once overweight and had to make lifestyle choices so as not to suffer from heart fai
Is
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it

If you have yet to finish a book whilst at a bus station I highly recommend it. There’s something satisfying about being so wrapped up in a book that the scorching hot is an afterthought. Well, until you feel it through your jeans and it’s starts burning in that itchy way the Miami sun has.

“He tasted sweet, like soda and everything else I wasn’t supposed to have—including him.”

Baked Fresh is read best served fresh out of the oven(published); that way you can enjoy all its flaky layers to get
iva
After reading Served Hot, I was expecting something light and cute from Baked Fresh, but I was so wrong. This books deals with multiple heavy things - sobriety, eating issues, fear of getting hurt again, a sexual dysfunction, death… I was afraid it would trigger my own issues with food, but even though it was sometimes difficult to read about protagonist's relationship with his body, I managed to get through and mainly didn’t think about myself, so yay, maybe that chapter of my life is finally o ...more
Didi
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it

Well, I don't mean to compare this book with the first of the series Served Hot but it certainly had different feel, way different. Faster pace with a lot more - and I mean MORE - of smutty sex scene. Deep-throated (which was done full-throttle, I'm sure! :p), in-the-shower hand job, rimming 69-ed, beads, mild dom/sub, wherever - even in the back of bakery truck - you name it! It's probably 50:50 from the whole of the book although the actual shagging was much farther in the relationsh
Cristina T.
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to say, I'm really glad I stuck with this series, even after the first book fell flat for me. The second installment is a lot better, in my opinion. It's real, sweet, and a feel-good story all around.

You see, baked goods are my ultimate weakness! Sweet or salted, doesn't matter. Cakes, pastry (!!!), pies and tarts, bagels, rolls, etc. Just keep 'em away from me, haha.

So, of course I loved Vic, the Italian baker! He's far from your typical perfect MC with washboard abs and a face meant to
Diana
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, netgalley-arc
Vic Degrassi does a great job at following through with his New Year’s resolution. So far he completed culinary school, quit smoking and lost over 100 lbs. This year’s resolution is to start dating, which is a big jump since he has never had a relationship before. But he is lonely after the death of his father, uncle and cousin and decides to give it a try, and he already has someone in mind.
Robin Dawson is having a crappy week. His jerk of a boyfriend broke up with him and he has decided not to
Keveen
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

Anyway, this was such a sweet read. And ever since I read Dani's review, I couldn't stop imagining Vic looking like Vin Diesel. I knew he was compared as a lovechild of Vin Diesel and The Rock but yeah, I couldn't stop imagining him as Vic fucking Robbin.

I thought the progress of their relationship was really good. It was believable. Plus, the chemistry and sexual tension was there. The first half of the book was pretty uninteresting but when the second half started it was really good.
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
Renée
3.5 stars. This was ok, not as good as the first, Served Hot. I found the MCs to be very whiny and high-maintenance. The writing was just as good as I remember from the first, but the MCs just didn't do it for me. I will definitely continue because I really do enjoy the story-telling from this author.
Sarah_loves_books
So, so very important. Love between a former drug addict and a former food addict. Body issues. Sex problems. Not being rich and having to wear old pyjama bottoms to be able to buy other clothes. Normal life, guys, normal life. Only: so very good, because Vic made it good.
Naomi
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I liked this more than the last one. I liked Vic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Denim (A Material World #4)
  • Wake Up Married serial, Episodes 1 - 6 (Wake Up Married #1-6)
  • Real World (Bend or Break, #5)
  • Winter Wonderland (Minnesota Christmas, #3)
  • Eight Nights in December
  • A Simple Romance
  • Daily Grind (Takeover, #4)
  • Deep Edge (Harrisburg Railers, #3)
  • Custom Fit (Tailor Made, #2)
  • Rough Road (Lake Lovelace, #2)
  • Wood, Screws, & Nails (Hard Hats, #1)
  • How to Raise an Honest Rabbit (Granby Knitting, #2)
  • Summer Heat
  • Close to You (Sunshine and Happiness, #3)
  • Cherry Pie (Mercury Rising, #1)
  • Skater Boy (Hot Off the Ice, #4)
  • Love and Lint Rollers
  • Desperately Seeking Santa
Frequent tweeter, professional grammar nerd, and obsessive reader, Annabeth Albert is also a Pacific Northwest romance writer in a variety of subgenres.

Emotionally complex, sexy, and funny stories are her favorites both to read and to write. In between searching out dark heroes to redeem, she works a rewarding day job and wrangles two toddlers.

Portland Heat (6 books)
  • Served Hot (Portland Heat, #1)
  • Delivered Fast (Portland Heat, #3)
  • Knit Tight (Portland Heat, #4)
  • Wrapped Together (Portland Heat, #5)
  • Danced Close (Portland Heat, #6)
“Regrets will eat you alive if you let them. You gotta outrun them. Find something in the now.” 3 likes