Start by marking “Exponential Organizations: Why new organizations are ten times better, faster, and cheaper than yours (and what to do about it)” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  2,003 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
Frost & Sullivan’s 2014 Growth, Innovation, and Leadership Book of the Year

"EXPONENTIAL ORGANIZATIONS should be required reading for anyone interested in the ways exponential technologies are reinventing best practices in business.”—Ray Kurwzeil, Director of Engineering at Google

In business, performance is key. In performance, how you organize can be the key to growt
Published October 18th 2014 by Diversion Books (first published October 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Exponential Organizations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exponential Organizations

Joe Soltzberg
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Overall this book was not very great. It had a bunch of tidbits of useful observations and facts, but nothing groundbreaking. My biggest complaint is the lack of rigor, substance, and depth of examples in the book. I knew I was in for trouble when they gave their definition of an "Exponential Organization":

An Exponential Organization (ExO) is one whose impact (or output) is disproportionally large-at least 10x larger-compared to its peers because of the use of new organizational techniques that
Jose Papo
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most important tip: do yourself a favor and read this book not only once, but many times!

This is really a tour de force on what are the characteristics of exponential organizations (companies who can grow 10 times in an exponential way without the need to grow their assets in a linear way. Different from traditional companies growing X% per year).

The book also explains how to build a startup with these characteristics and even has chapters focused on existing organizations (mid-sized and b
Flavio
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I am currently reading this book but thought I would add my comments as I read it

The first chapter is largely introductory and speaks about the paradigm shift that is taking place among enterprises. Companies and some of their traits are compared to illustrate the differences. Failed initiatives are pointed out and the author gives his argument for the cause of those failures. The author goes on to contrast an exponential organization with a linear organization. I have a math background and at t
Avolyn Fisher
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, abandoned
I really wanted to like this book. The first few chapters began with explosive promise as I hung on every word to hear what was next. I told everyone I came in contact about this book and how amazing it was. It had ah-ha moments sprinkled with mind blowing concepts that had me saying, YES.

Personally, I think chapter 2 was the most impact full chapter that I read and I would highly recommend. unfortunately by chapter 7 I wanted to blow my brains out. Perhaps due to the fact that I was listening
Kevin Suitor
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exponential Organizations
by Salim Ismail

Salim Ismail wrote the book Exponential Organizations to teach us how companies whose impact is at least 10x larger than their peers think differently than the rest of us.

As angel investor David S. Rose once said,

“Any company designed for success in the 20th century is doomed to failure in the 21st.”

This is your roadmap for preparing your business for what’s to come.
Understanding Moore’s Law and its Corollary

Moore’s Law basically states that the performa
Smaranda
Starts off well but is actually not as smart as originally anticipated in my opinion. Basically it says stay lean and use consultants and rented space and stuff and make sure to prototype. Not entirely convinced by the message of this book to be honest, as it doesn't seem to really go in depth about many of the ideas it is advocating. Could be useful for people with less experience in different types of organizations and also if you haven't read a lot of management books. But ultimately it's a b ...more
Renato Willi
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excelent book for those feeling "outdated" with current economy/business fast pace, or for those living a "digital transformation", so they'd understand what's happening to the world now.

Great for executives or who's thinking about starting a business.
Tihomir
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is just a mind-blowing experience on building 10x companies. I really enjoyed reading it. There are lot of insights with a lot of meaningful ideas. Highly recommended reading!
Keith Swenson
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good book that captures and explains a lot about these new exponential organizations like Uber, AirB&B, Twitter, GitHub, Local Motors, SnapChat, FaceBook. It explains well how they are structured, why they work that way, and even gives suggestions on the qualities that you might look for to identify an up and coming one. The book really does have a lot of good, useful information in it.

The most important point is the Massive Transformative Purpose (MTP). This core idea must
Ayham
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positives: Book full of knowledge in regards to future fast changing and how to cop, build and sustain your exponential organization.
Negatives: since the book is full of knowlege it can be organized more thoroughly.
Celso Martins
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Despite having valuable information, it is a book on the blue unicorn model that relies on some bets, such as the heavily mentioned 3d printer, when it tries to predict some aspects of the future. Mentions on Taleb, Ries and Blank, put it as an average book. Good book for audible.
MIGUEL AZAR
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent guide to form or convert a company to an Exponential Organization.
I recommend reading first, Abundance from Peter Deamandis
Saleem Akhtar
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent primer for knowing what the future of work looks like!
Ives
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book would probably be useful for corporate execs who don't follow technology trends. Less so for those who do.
Annie

D: dashboards
E: experimentation
A: autonomy
S: social technologies

The book went through most of the elements superficially by referring to some well known examples, such as Netflix's contest for a better recommendation algorithm. While the grand prize money was substantial ($1,000,000), the winner was able to beat Netflix's algorithm by over 10%. Ther
Leticia
Interessante leitura sobre uma definição de Organizações que são a tendência do futuro: o autor faz uso de diferentes acrônimos e cases para ilustrar a ideia de que a tecnologia veio não só para ficar, mas para mostrar que os gigantes vão cair por causa dela ao ignorar seu poder: Nokia com Navteq e Waze foram um caso de grande força para essa metáfora, não menos que Kodak e Instagram.
É um pouco assustador para mim (que fiz parte de organizações mais tradicionais no passado) ler sobre a construç
Hayden
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like the Lean Start up approach, this book looks at the same ideas and gives you a blueprint for creating a business that can grow exponentially no matter if you are a 3 person, or 30,000 person organisation. It's less about how to come up with a great idea, and more about how to build the business around it. It has some really interesting insights into how larger organisations can create, invest in, develop businesses that are free to grow and change without the constraints of the larger ...more
qbp
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Eye opening

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was eye opening and enlightening. It makes you change your perspective and look at everything with fresh eyes. It helps us understand that the world is moving at a pace faster than we think, and what are the consequences for our companies and our jobs. I recommend to all professionals who want make a difference and have a positive impact in their companies and especially to CEOs who absolutely need to have this information in mind as they drive
Riccardo Bua
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a fundamental book to get your mindset to shift from achievable targets to moonshots and from linear to exponential thinking. The only issue I find with the book is that it is presenting it as a one and done and as the only solution/approach. I see the potential for disruption being finite, while the possibility for continous improvement and/or innovation infinite, so I don't like the picture it is presenting of a bigger hammer to target the same set of nails, would rather go for it being ...more
Marcela Rueda
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very novel perspective on the characteristics of fast growing and disruptive organizations. The author creates a sense of urgency around the need to leverage information by using technology. The book is filled with examples and tips that can be applied to different types of companies. This is a highly recommended read for anyone in the business world wanting to maintain relevance in a fast changing world.

It should be read a few times to really get the most out of the insights it provides.
Z
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The SCALE IDEAS concept is interesting but the format of 100+ pages book is way too long. You might want to try finding an excerpt or a TED talk by Ismail instead of enduring the neverending name-dropping and catalogue of quotes and examples that he had to stuff the book format with. Also, the author can't help it but these very examples dated 2011-2012 are becoming rapidly obsolete.
Aarne
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, easy to read and understand book that encapsulates the dramatic changes businesses are facing today and especially tomorrow. Strong recommendation for everybody who wants build the next billion dollar company!
Alejandro Restrepo Zea
Muy recomendable, es un libro que explica cómo las nuevas tecnologías cambias los negocios y como podemos aprovecharnos de estas nuevas tecnologías para generar valor y crecimiento.
Yigit Konur
5 star experience for most of dinosaur companies but if you are a startup and reading a lot, it is just boring staff.
SJ Loria
I learned more from the podcast by my work amigo Scott Engler (check out podcast #9 here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/c...) than I did the book.

But the main gist of the book goes, matrixed, huge organizations built to dominate the 20th century are being outmaneuvered by smaller organizations that the author dubs "EO" Exponential Organizations. EOs are defined by many characteristics and cool infographs, but if I had to sum them up some of the interesting points they include.
Part-time s
Teo 2050
~5.5h @ 2x. Contents:
(view spoiler)
Matt
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book but mostly it was buzzword filled, Kool-Aid drinking hype about fast growing start-ups. It made some good points but, at least to me, it misses some obvious things about human nature and business.

For example, it talks frequently of leveraging other people’s assets. One example used is Uber and how they grow so quickly because they don’t have to buy the cars. But in the end, that just makes Uber a commodity with little to no mote around it’s business. As evidenced
Susanne
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dated content (but to be expected if you read a tech book four years later), but overall a cohesive plan. I'm not sure that they consulted with large organizations on implementation as their examples were sparse on details and practicality. Some meaningful takeaways can be applied to most organizations, but not a universally applicable book, no matter how they tried to spin it.

Claims made without references, assuming that the 'fact' is a 'fact' (yeah, it's not) make me question the quality of t
Sagar Acharya
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Startup Entrepreneurs
I skimmed Prof Sanjay Bakshi's Goodreads page for Business models recommendations and found this book.

The book mentions two abbreviations SCALE and IDEAS for attributes of an ExO (Exponential Organizations) and suggests MTP, a massive transformative purpose. MTP can be seen as a tagline of the company which contains all 3 letter emphasis on M, T and P so that the employees and community can align with it.

I'll give you a brief overview of one of the concepts, in SCALE, L-leveraged assets.

A growin
Raphael Albino
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Os autores definem uma organização exponencial como aquela cujo impacto (ou resultado) é desproporcionalmente grande, pelo menos dez vezes maior, comparado ao de seus pares, devido ao uso de novas técnicas organizacionais que alavancam as tecnologias aceleradas.
Baseado nesta explicação, o livro expõe uma narrativa de como algumas empresas, independentemente de serem pequenas ou grandes, estão alcançando resultados exponenciais. A partir de um propósito transformador massivo, tais empresas aprese
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Personal Kanban: Mapping Work Navigating Life
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • No Ordinary Disruption: The Four Global Forces Breaking All the Trends
  • Real Business of IT: How CIOs Create and Communicate Value
  • Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness
  • Systems Thinking: Managing Chaos and Complexity - A Platform for Designing Business Architecture
  • Positive Intelligence: Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential and How You Can Achieve Yours
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success
  • Finding the Next Steve Jobs: How to Find, Hire, Keep and Nurture Creative Talent
  • Corporate Confidential: 50 Secrets Your Company Doesn't Want You to Know---and What to Do About Them
  • The End of Competitive Advantage: How to Keep Your Strategy Moving as Fast as Your Business
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
  • Empowered: Unleash Your Employees, Energize Your Customers, and Transform Your Business
  • Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale
  • Bold: How to Go Big, Create Wealth and Impact the World
  • Freedom From Command And Control: A Better Way To Make The Work Work
  • Predictable Revenue: Turn Your Business Into a Sales Machine with the $100 Million Best Practices of Salesforce.com

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Penguin Lessons
    $12.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $1.99
“Today, if you’re not disrupting yourself, someone else is; your fate is to be either the disrupter or the disrupted. There is no middle ground.” 6 likes
“Martin Seligman, a leading expert on positive psychology, differentiates between three states of happiness: the pleasurable life (hedonistic, superficial), the good life (family and friends) and the meaningful life (finding purpose, transcending ego, working toward a higher good). Research shows that Millennials—those born between 1984 and 2002—are showing an orientation towards seeking meaning and purpose in their lives.” 6 likes