Start by marking “Heir of the Dog (Black Dog, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heir of the Dog (Black Dog, #2)

Heir of the Dog

(Black Dog #2)

Faerie teeters on the brink of war and the mortal realm swells with fae refugees desperate to escape the bloodshed. As a half-blooded fae, Marshal Thierry Thackeray has a stake in the outcome of both realms and isn’t afraid to knock a few heads together if it keeps the peace.

When her father goes missing, the only hope of negotiating a truce between the light and dark fae v
Published January 30th 2015 (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Heir of the Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heir of the Dog

Start your review of Heir of the Dog (Black Dog, #2)
Nessie Smith
Mar 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
I really liked the first book and was excited about the second one. That's why it saddens and annoys the hell out of me to have to say :WHAT THE HELL. The second book skipped a year ahead and not in a good way. Thierry went from a kick ass strong willed woman to a weak and love stuck barley trying to get over her ex "shaw". the first chapter was ok. she did her job (though she did whine how she wished shaw was with her, annoying right!) and kicked troll ass but her second job involving hobgoblin ...more
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Eh. I read this one because I first saw Thierry when I was reading another series, the way she acted them made me like her that I had to read her book. Only this book disappointed me. Thierry was used by Shaw, her ex who is an incubus. Then she goes back to faerie and is used by Rook. This doesn't really show me the alpha female I had glimpsed before.

I like Hailey Edwards and I plan on reading more of her other series but this is where I stop this one.
Marsha
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
In the series I love, the heroine's are strong but flawed woman who are not afraid to sacrifice themselves for those they care about. Additionally, these stories have a male protagonist worthy of the heroine. In the case of "Heir of the Dog", Thierry is definitely a strong female lead ; but, there is not one male worthy of her. They are all posers and big time users and the worse part is she keeps going back for more.

Thierry's father is missing and the fae are on the brink of war. So, the Morrig
Jen Davis
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
After a lukewarm introduction to this series, I wasn’t sure that it would be a good fit for me. But Hailey Edwards has come through again and I am happy to report this installment has made me a fan of the Black Dog books. It makes sense, in a way, when you consider that Dog With a Bone was an added prequel to what was supposed to have been a trilogy that started here. This book is much more engaging and made me care about the heroine in a way that I just didn’t before. And if you choose not to r ...more
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Full review to follow.
Coco.V
Jun 04, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 The complete Black Dog Series (4 Book Series) is FREE on Amazon today (6/4/2020)! 🎁
Ana
2 stars

Note: spoilers for the first book will be peppered throughout this review and not under the spoiler tag. Any spoilers for this book will be properly hidden.

So, that didn't go as expected. After finishing Dog with a Bone, the first book in the series, I went straight to the second because I genuinely liked Thierry and wanted to see how she grows as a character. And, the world as well, but mostly Thierry.

And then this book happened.

I really, really disliked it.

First, we have a time jump
Gaele
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was impressed with the first book in this series, but Hailey Edwards has exceeded all expectations with this, the second in the series. In the first book, we were introduced to Thierry and were shown her new life, finally realizing just who her father is and adjusting to life as a Marshall, tasked with keeping humans safe and Fae in line. To really have the best understanding of this book, you should most certainly read Dog With A Bone to meet Thierry and get a sense of her as a person.

In thi
Melanie
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
4.5*s
This was a really good sequel but seriously....wtf happened? I didn't see any of that coming, I'm majorly bummed about the Shaw situation and 'Raven' was soooo not to be trusted from the get go.... regardless, it was a great story, great action, loads of twists and turns and I thoroughly enjoyed it =D
Douglas Meeks
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing novel, which actually surprised me after the first novel Dog With A Bone, while entertaining reading was not this good. I said in my review of that first book "missing that "can't put it down" quality". This book does not suffer from any such problems. I had to force myself to stay up late so i could finish it because I could not go to bed without knowing what happened.

Thierry is really coming into her own, Shaw who I never really liked that much is not a big part of this nov
Katyana
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, uf
Really enjoying this series. It's a fun, fast ride... and I do mean fast. The plot clips along at a breakneck speed, and it's clear the author knows exactly where she's going with it. And the reader doesn't get any more information than Thierry gets, which I really enjoy, particularly when the main character doesn't take that information and make hideously dumb choices.

She gets played, but I can't call her TSTL. I would have made the same choices, given what she knew and the circumstances. And i
Sally
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, cute story!

Fast read, fun characters. Really enjoying this series and can't wait to see what happens next! I hope we get to meet Black Dog soon...
Elisa
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Enjoying this series. Will be on the lookout for more of Edwards books to see what she does.
Sara
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow!!!
Lina
Oct 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Yh, no thanks. Im done after a 100 pages. Not worth even finishing it.
TJ
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5.0

Had a bit of a problem with the sudden jump in the relationship with Shaw (a large part of book one) but the story was engaging - not terribly deep but entertaining.
Bookgyrl
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I decided to skip book 1 and read this one first as this is the original series starter. I decided on this series after The Beginner’s guide to Necromancy which I love.

Not sure I am into this one as I thought the heroine rather weak and the story sometimes confusing. But I have bought the series, so I will decide later if I want to read the rest. And is Shaw the love interest or Rook!??? Not sure.
Lexxi Kitty
Unfortunately, this is another occasion wherein it will be hard to write anything in this box because I've already continued the series, read the next book, and am currently working on the last book in the series. So.

I did write something as I went along; let me remind myself what got written:
"This is starting to annoy me. So. 72 year old man takes advantage of 18 year old woman. Woman now feels obligated to help keep man alive. Meanwhile feels obligated to pay all her mom's expenses because m
Janelle
5 stars!

Perfect job…CHECK! Perfect man…well, that one has fallen a little flat for Marshal Thierry Thackeray. Being the Black Dog’s daughter, as well as half human, it’s left her is a strange place in the relationship department – no one wants their soul sucked out with a simple hand hold after all. Since Thierry’s perfect man was also her partner, Shaw – her teacher turned partner – she’s been on her own for the past year. But of course the past can never stay in the past, at least not when you
Mandy
I received Heir of the Dog in return for an honest review from the author. This is the second installment in the black dog series and continues a year after the end of the last book. Thierry has been working hard taking on extra bonus work so that her mother will still have the money she was getting when Thierry was in training. After being gone a year Shaw has return with a secret that may very well change everything but Faerie also has a surprise for Thierry. When a prince shows up claiming th ...more
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
~ 4 Heir of the Dog Stars ~

Heir of the Dog is book two in the Black Dog series by Hailey Edwards. We are thrown back into Thierry’s life, with all the action-packed adventure.

My first impression: I thought I was missing a book or something from the way it starts, but we soon learn she is a year older, her relationship with Shaw did not work out, and she’s hard at work as a Marshal.

Thierry is developing into a kick ass, strong female, who takes no prisoners. She is dragged into Faerie and we
Lisa Hall
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I jumped right into Heir after reading Dog with a Bone. If Book three was out, I'd be reading instead of writing a review, but I have to wait until the end of April.

Thierry has been a Marshal, rounding up fae in the mortal world who don't follow the rules or behave as they should. She's living bounty check to bounty check as she continues forwarding money to her mother, letting the woman who gave birth to her, the one who's life was turned upside down and inside out when the runes on Thierry's
Kelly
Things are getting even more complicated for Thierry. I mean, you'd think having the ability to channel her father's power would be rough enough, but no. She's now thrust in the middle of something dark and deadly and she's barely scratched the surface on what she can do with her power.

We'll get to that in a second, though. First, let's talk about Shaw and how tangled that's become. Honestly, I didn't see that particular twist with him coming. And then there's all the stuff Thierry ran into in f
Aimee
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was right. After reading the author note in the first book (the prequel to the trilogy) I thought this might be better than Dog with a Bone. I was right. The first left just enough interest to read this one, but if there wasn't a note saying it was an introduction to how Thierry got her start, I might not have read it. But I'm glad I got the second one. And I'm also glad I read the first to understand why she doesn't want to see Shaw so much.

I'm not usually a fan of fae books. Most don't inter
Angel Ludwig
a WtF?!? Beginning, then good

Seriously. I spent DAYS reading and re-reading the first chapter or so going WtF? I'm still looking to find a between-the-books novella to explain WtF happened between the end of book 1 and where this picks up.

Once you pull yourself out of that WtF moment(s), the rest of the book is pretty good. A few typos, but otherwise well edited and none that popped me out of the story again. Still enjoying our lead character and still interested in finding out what happens nex
Tammy Sowards-Sanchez
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
ARC Review:
This is book 2 in the series. This book was originally written to be book 1. The author decided to write what is now book 1 as a prequel to this book. The series order is now B1 Dog with a Bone, B2 Heir of the Dog (this book review), B3 Lei Down with Dogs and B4 Old Dog, New Tricks.
She is on occasion Judge, Jury and Executioner. She has history with her partner on one of her cases and its rocky at best. Over feeding her ex has unexpected consequences. Gets taken to another realm where
S. Usher Evans
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really loved this series, first book aside. And by first book, I mean not this book. Confused yet? Don't worry.

IF YOU start with this book, this series is a five star read. In fact, I loved it so much I might read it again! Thierry is so much more fun to meet like this than in the prequel. She's tough, damaged, and takes no shit. I loved Rook. The who's-side-is-he-really-on vibe was so well executed.
Saruuh Kelsey
Ehhh, I didn't like this as much as Dog With A Bone. Faerie was super weird and not my kind of weird, but I liked the hunt and the shifting. I also liked Rook, but I don't trust him one bit, and him kissing Thierry made me super uncomfortable. I get that it's animal attraction but HE LITERALLY FORCED YOU TO MARRY HIM. Plus the Shaw dying thing????? Can you not.

So anyway this was fun /sarcasm

I'm going to forget all of it happened.
Christine
Jess the Romanceaholic
I adore this series so hard it hurts, even though Hailey Edwards is cruel to give us a love triangle and then make us wait for the rest of the story.

For the record, I'm still #TeamShaw despite any asshattery on his side.

5/5, full review to follow.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Shadows & Surrender (The Jezebel Files, #3)
  • Heart of Shadows (Alice Worth, #5)
  • Death & Desire (The Jezebel Files, #2)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Heart of Stone (Alice Worth, #4)
  • Broken Loyalty (Jacky Leon, #3)
  • Summoned (Sundance #2)
  • Heart of Ice (Alice Worth #3)
  • Midlife Fairy Hunter (Forty Proof, #2)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Heart of Fire (Alice Worth #2)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Heart of Malice (Alice Worth, #1)
  • Knights Magica (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #5)
Hailey Edwards writes about questionable applications of otherwise perfectly good magic, the transformative power of love, the family you choose for yourself, and blowing stuff up. Not necessarily all at once. That could get messy. She lives in Alabama with her husband, their daughter, and a herd of dachshunds.

Black Dog (4 books)
  • Dog with a Bone (Black Dog, #1)
  • Lie Down with Dogs (Black Dog, #3)
  • Old Dog, New Tricks (Black Dog, #4)